Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
channah
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 vs 8?

Due to something being mentioned on my other thread was just wondering what's the better os for reaper, windows 7 or 8? Needing to upgrade as vista not supported by new software I'm after, cheers
channah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
hopi

Personally I prefer 7 pro 64 bit.... others may disagree
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
g8torcliff

Now I remember why I'm not using EZDrummer 2. Bought it for my son a few months ago and found I couldn't use it because I'm on Vista. Oh well....I'm just about ready to spring for a new PC anyway. And I am thinking I will probably go with a Win 7 machine. I've been reading a lot about it and it seems that with 8 you also need the upgrade to 8.1 and I don't want to mess with an OS anymore than necessary unless it means a BIG change in performance.

My biggest issue deals with Firewire capability...off topic.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Rick Settle

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torcliff View Post
Now I remember why I'm not using EZDrummer 2. Bought it for my son a few months ago and found I couldn't use it because I'm on Vista. Oh well....I'm just about ready to spring for a new PC anyway. And I am thinking I will probably go with a Win 7 machine. I've been reading a lot about it and it seems that with 8 you also need the upgrade to 8.1 and I don't want to mess with an OS anymore than necessary unless it means a BIG change in performance.

My biggest issue deals with Firewire capability...off topic.

cliff
Windows 9 is in development. It will probably be released next year. They will then start developing Windows 10 and shortly thereafter they will stop supporting Windows 7. None of this is official, yet. That's just the way Microsoft rolls.
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Settle View Post
That's just the way Microsoft rolls.
And Reaper, there used to be Reaper 1.0.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
paulheu

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ends January 13, 2015 with extended support ending 5 years later.

Windows 8.1 really is a perfectly fine OS and in many ways is far more efficient than 7. I see no reason why not to be on WIN8.1 right now but if you are on 7 currently I could understand you waiting for Windows 9.1.. If you're on any previous OS it's really time to upgrade now.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Fergler

I hope they improve the OS navigation.

I want to be able to:

- Scroll non-focused windows (Mac and Linux, and google chrome's own windows ) and non-focused parts of windows (the sidebar of any explorer window for e.g.)

- Ctrl + W any window, not just explorer ones. Picture/photo viewer doesn't do it, for e.g.

As for OP's concerns, I think either will be fine but I agree you should probably get 7 since you can find it super cheap, for e.g. lots of people selling their old CDs which still have 4 uses on them because they've upgraded to 8. Then wait for 9 to come out. After the huge backlash to 8, they've (hopefully) learned a lot and 9 is probably going to be pretty good. A lot of products have this cycle,

Windows XP great, Windows Vista hated, Windows 7 loved, Windows 8 hated, etc. They 'innovate' between stable versions then fix their innovations for the next stable release.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
Mainstream support for Windows 7 ends January 13, 2015 with extended support ending 5 years later.

Windows 8.1 really is a perfectly fine OS and in many ways is far more efficient than 7. I see no reason why not to be on WIN8.1 right now but if you are on 7 currently I could understand you waiting for Windows 9.1.. If you're on any previous OS it's really time to upgrade now.
Agree. My DAW is still running W7 Pro, but I put a 2nd HD and W8.1 on my online desktop some time ago, and prefer it to 7, especially once you tweak away all of the Metro UI stuff. It seems to be generally zippier and more efficient.

I won't hesitate to put W8 on my DAW if the need to recreate the OS environment arises. I'm only staying with W7 because it ain't broke and all of that...

... Whichever OS you choose, just be sure to check out driver support for whatever hardware peripherals you use. Either is going to be way, way better than Vista.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Retro Audio Enthusiast

According to this test, Win 7 beats 8 for audio: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...h-results.html
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
According to this test, Win 7 beats 8 for audio: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...h-results.html
According to this one it doesn't:

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-8-a...-applications/

Point being, it changes for every single user/system/profile. Unless the OS has something incredibly wrong with it, it typically isn't the OS. The best path is to pick the OS/hardware combo that best suits you and test it. I seriously wouldn't lose much sleep on which OS is more performant, time is much better spent on everything around it.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
dea-man

Isn't everybody's preference basically based on whatever OS you are using now, with which you are happy?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
yeah, but a test on Gearslutz??? do you know what there is going on?? religious battles in nearly all threads ... I suppose when Gearslutties do a test, do the exact opposite as to what they conclude you should do. and you will be perfectly fine in doing so ...

(last week someone performed a sound-test Logic vs. Cubase. he mixed the same song with lots of fx on the tracks in both DAWs. Logic won, "Cubase sounds way inferior than Logic" (original citation). the clue: both mixes were that awful bad, that I would have said, his speakers and his computer were seriously damaged ... :-))
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Running W7 Ultimate on my desktop DAW and W8 on my Sony W11. Both are rock solid but W8 feels like a more refined OS to me and the Sony has become my primary DAW computer.
I installed Classic Shell on W8 and got rid of the Metro stuff. Boots straight to the desktop. I also did a registry tweak to completely disable the Metro apps and the UAC and it is even snappier now.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
G-Sun

From my understanding: win 7 is a tad more default for daw than win8. I use win8. Seems good
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
inertia

Windows 8 is fine and I now prefer it over 7.

I used ObjectDock though instead of the Taskbar. OD is not perfect and is not well programmed but it works ok otherwise.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Cakewalk has always been a fanbot for anything Microsoft released. They even "proved" the superior performance of vista against XP .(http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/0...cakewalks-cto/)

No, just back to topic. Some specs from Microsoft show that the win 8 scheduler was optimised for laptop / power consumption. While this makes sense for consumer apps this is decreasing the performance in regards of audio latency. You might lose some ms latency with windows 8.

While this is not an issue for users with ... Let's say asio4all based .... audio equipment, it might be an issue if you are in a more professional environment with latencies well below 4 msec.

Please note, I did not talk about GUI ...

Last edited by Mink99; 08-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Running W7 Ultimate on my desktop DAW and W8 on my Sony W11. Both are rock solid but W8 feels like a more refined OS to me and the Sony has become my primary DAW computer.
I installed Classic Shell on W8 and got rid of the Metro stuff. Boots straight to the desktop. I also did a registry tweak to completely disable the Metro apps and the UAC and it is even snappier now.
So Dave, does the Classic Shell make it look and feel like Win7?

Could you also explain the registry tweaks a little more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
From my understanding: win 7 is a tad more default for daw than win8. I use win8. Seems good
Hi Geir, as far as "win 7 is a tad more default", that might be true but of course there's probably a lot more people on Win-7 yet.

So you've got your new computer up and going?

Heh heh, if so how do you like it? I know when I went from my old XP to the i5 Win7 it was a real wake up. I'm still going to get an i7 and still debating whether put Win7 or 8 on it, that's why I watch these threads like this.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
brainwreck

8 has built-in spyware. I'll pass. If the story is the same for 9, I'll convert completely to linux.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post

While this is not an issue for users with ... Let's say asio4all based .... audio equipment, it might be an issue if you are in a more professional environment with latencies well below 4 msec.
And I get better performance in Win8 than I did in Win7 but like I said, hardware, drivers, whats on top of the OS and compatibility is more relevant comparatively and percentage wise. I'm at @ 3.5ms RTT with a stock box w/no tweaks and my FireFace UFX.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
8 has built-in spyware.
Humm, that's the impression I got too. So those of you that are using Win8, how are you getting along with it and feel about it?

I've never hooked any of my studio computers to the net so it hasn't been an issue, and this computer that I am using on the net doesn't have any protection on it at all, it's old I'm not to worried about it. However the further I get into retirement, I'm thinking I might like to use my new computer in a more multi-purpose way so a little spyware might not be so bad.

The thing is, I keep hearing about all the inconvenient things that keep happening to people with the anti-virus and spyware stuff.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
8 has built-in spyware. I'll pass. If the story is the same for 9, I'll convert completely to linux.
So Win8 but not Win7 has spyware?!.
I left Linux for Win8 and I never go back. I would gladly harbour some spyware just to avoid Linux .

Regarding the Metro, I have no tweaks or 3rd party programs and I rarely see the Metro (login and the PDF reader, which could be replacedby an none app).
I don't miss the start button (that everyone complained about 1995) a bit. The search in Win8 is just so 'now'
And start button is so...90's
Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
DeathByGuitar

Aside from the god-awful Start screen and charms bar, there isn't much of a downside to running 8. I've been using Windows 8 since it came out (got it for free through school, I wouldn't actually have paid for it) and it runs everything Reaper-related perfectly. All my plugins, Firewire and Focusrite drivers, everything. Performance in some cases is a little better than 7. However, Classic Shell is an absolute MUST because the Start screen is probably the worst idea in the history of Windows.

Once you have Classic Shell running and have Windows boot straight to the desktop and have the charms bar disabled, it's actually a really wonderful OS. Of course, you really shouldn't have to do it in the first place, but what are ya gonna do? The way how I have it configured now is basically how Windows 9 will be.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #23
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
So Win8 but not Win7 has spyware?!.
I left Linux for Win8 and I never go back. I would gladly harbour some spyware just to avoid Linux .
China actually banned Windows 8. Either the gui is that bad, or they're really worried about the spyware. I'm guessing it's the latter. Other countries have expressed concerns.

The Linux world definitely has it's issues, but I think that if Microsoft stays on the path that they're heading down, the Linux desktop will be getting alot more attention from users and devs.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #24
franV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Hi Geir, as far as "win 7 is a tad more default", that might be true but of course there's probably a lot more people on Win-7 yet.

So you've got your new computer up and going?

Heh heh, if so how do you like it? I know when I went from my old XP to the i5 Win7 it was a real wake up. I'm still going to get an i7 and still debating whether put Win7 or 8 on it, that's why I watch these threads like this.

This is a fabulous program. No registry tweaks needed and also allow you to boot straight to desktop.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Old 08-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
channah

Heys guys thanks alot for the input, im currently running vista and looking to get ezdrummer 2, so im way overdue for an update in order to run new programs so considering what ive read it will be an 8 install with shell pack, cheers
channah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
Dannii

Quote:
Here's a screen grab of my desktop with the Classic Shell Menu. I customized the start button (click image for hi-res view):

Quote:
I got this from the KVR forum (completely disables UAC and disables ALL Metro apps, therefore stopping any of them running background tasks):
Quote:
Hey folks, this tweak has been floating around but didn't spot it here on EF so just a heads up. This is for those of you who disable UAC on their systems and have been getting annoyed that DP doesn't disable UAC completely even though the slider is pulled all the way down and the user is Admin.

So, just open regedit and locate this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

Done.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to encourage people to ditch UAC or even to use this method. Peeps who disable UAC are expected to know their way around.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by franV View Post
This is a fabulous program. No registry tweaks needed and also allow you to boot straight to desktop.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Thanks fran, that looks very interesting and will have to research a little further. Is that the only thing you did/installed, and I see it's not free, what did you have to pay for it?

Quote:
Here's a screen grab of my desktop with the Classic Shell Menu. I customized the start button (click image for hi-res view):

I got this from the KVR forum (completely disables UAC and disables ALL Metro apps, therefore stopping any of them running background tasks):
Okay, thanks Dave, heh heh, that's an interesting screen shot, sort of translucent I guess.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #28
Dannii

Quote:
Okay, thanks Dave, heh heh, that's an interesting screen shot, sort of translucent I guess.
Yeah. I like transparent things
You can change those settings pretty easily though if you prefer the solid look. Classic Shell also adds a whole lot of useful tweaks to the Windows Explorer (not INTERNET explorer) shell too.

Here's a screen grab of a window here with the Classic Shell tweaks highlighted. I really love being able to quickly switch between list view, details view and any sized thumbnail view (the 'tick' opens the properties panel):

Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #29
Tod

Quote:
Yeah. I like transparent things
You can change those settings pretty easily though if you prefer the solid look. Classic Shell also adds a whole lot of useful tweaks to the Windows Explorer (not INTERNET explorer) shell too.

Here's a screen grab of a window here with the Classic Shell tweaks highlighted. I really love being able to quickly switch between list view, details view and any sized thumbnail view (the 'tick' opens the properties panel):
Oh yeah, I don't think I can get what you show there to look like that. Heh heh, maybe, I use list and details all the time because the thumbnails are too big but I haven't really tried to make them smaller so I'm sure it's possible. There are definitely times that view could come in handy.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #30
richie43

Just to chime in....
Windows 8.1 64bit here, and this is the first Windows OS that I have been comfortable using 99% default out of the box and it has been rock solid for audio. I have actually told people that for me it seems like Micro$oft has (possibly accidentally) made an awesome audio OS for Reaper....
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #31
franV

Quote:
Thanks fran, that looks very interesting and will have to research a little further. Is that the only thing you did/installed, and I see it's not free, what did you have to pay for it?

Hey Tod

It cost $4.99 and you can also test it out before buying. You receive regular updates and bugfixes too. There are so many ways you can customize Start8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp

I have seen the new Windows 9 start menu screenshot Microsoft provided. I think i am going to continue using Start8 even in Windows 9.

If you try out the program i would like to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #32
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by franV View Post
Hey Tod

It cost $4.99 and you can also test it out before buying. You receive regular updates and bugfixes too. There are so many ways you can customize Start8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp

I have seen the new Windows 9 start menu screenshot Microsoft provided. I think i am going to continue using Start8 even in Windows 9.

If you try out the program i would like to hear your thoughts on it.
I've been using Start8 for at least 9 months or so without issue, though I've also put the Open Source Classic Shell on other peoples' computers and can recommend that too.

If heard nothing but good things about StartIsBack ($3.00), but haven't tried it.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #33
G-Sun

The startmenu-thing is really just about unfamiliarity.
Once you understand it's just the previous start-menu that has expanded into a layer of it's own, then it's not a big deal.
Really works much the same way as before.

Now getting into bios on the other hand, that's for hardcore PC-enthusiasts only in win8
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #34
richie43

I allowed the 8.1 update to happen when it came out, and one of the features was that now I boot straight to desktop like Win7 with zero third party apps needed.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #35
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I allowed the 8.1 update to happen when it came out, and one of the features was that now I boot straight to desktop like Win7 with zero third party apps needed.
That sounds good, my wife's got Win8 on her laptop and when I checked the other day, her's has been updated to 8.1 too. I think her's goes right to the desktop too.

However, she has to sign in with a password, is there any way around these administrative type things? I don't want to have to sign in or have to use the administrative for anything.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #36
paulheu

How To Automatically Logon To Windows 8 or 8.1

Open Run from the Apps screen, using WIN+R, or via the Power User Menu, and then type the following command in the text box:

netplwiz

Tip: You can also open Command Prompt and do the same if you'd rather, but using Run is probably a bit quicker overall.

Tap or click on the OK button. The Advanced User Accounts program will open.

Note: Technically, this program is called the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel, but it's not really a Control Panel applet and you won't find it in the Control Panel in Windows 8. To make it more confusing, the title of the windows says just User Accounts.

On the Users tab, which should be where you're at now, uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

Tap or click the OK button at the bottom of the window.

When the Automatically sign in box appears, enter the user name you wish to automatically login to Windows 8 with.

Important: If you're using a Microsoft account, be sure to enter the entire email address that you use to sign in to Windows 8 with in the User name field. What defaults there might instead be the name associated with your account, not your actual user name.

In the Password and Confirm Password fields, enter the password you sign in to Windows 8 with.

Tap or click the OK button.

The Automatically sign in window, as well as the User Accounts window, will now close.

Restart your computer and make sure that Windows 8 automatically logs you in. You may catch a glimpse of the Sign in screen, but only long enough to see it log you in without you having to type anything!
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #37
Tod

Aah, thanks Paul, I'm going to copy your post and put it on my desktop.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #38
pattste

I'm on Windows 8.1 64-bit and it has been rock solid for everything including audio. I have not felt the need to tweak it. Like others, I think Metro is quite possibly the most absurd and mediocre user interface ever forced on computer users. I use a program called StartIsBack Plus to bypass it.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #39
brainwreck

Maybe I'm in the minority (maybe not), but this stuff bothers me:

Quote:
Certain aspects of 8.1 were also cause for concern because of their privacy implications. In his review of 8.1, Joel Hruska noted that Microsoft had deliberately made it harder for users to create a "Local" account that is not tied to a Microsoft account for syncing, as it "[makes] clear that the company really, really, wants you to share everything you do with it, and that’s not something an increasing number of people and businesses are comfortable doing."[84] Woody Leonhard of InfoWorld noted that by default Windows 8.1's "Smart Search" system sends search queries and other information to Microsoft, which could be used for targeted advertising. Leonhard considered this to be ironic, given that Microsoft had criticized Google's use of similar tactics with its "Scroogled" advertising campaign.[85]
Market share
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...ical_reception

And this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/20435...-bing-ads.html

And this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...any_windows_8/

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-28-2014 at 08:31 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #40
sikejsudjek

Don't think I'll be moving off windows 7 64 bit. Putting in 8gb of ram an ssd for the operating system makes it go like sh@t off a shovel...

Maybe Windows 9, although what's the betting that they put even more bloat ware and 'windows features to tie you to their store'. Even then I'd give it a year until the first service pack is beta tested by early adopters !

Windows 7 just works.
sikejsudjek is offline   Reply With Quote