Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
dpmatsalla
Human being with feelings

Default Playing an EWI on Reaper

Hi all,

I have an Akai EWI 5000 Wind Controller, which I've been trying to play through Reaper. Like others, I could not figure how the breath control (CC2) can adjust the volume of the sound from my speakers. So I wrote a script to address this.

Here's a short JavaScript that adjusts the spl0 and spl1 amplitudes (i.e. the volume of the sound in L/R speakers) as a function of a ratio of the current breath control input (CC2) and the velocity of the original Note-on MIDI data. It ignores input from CC34, CC68, CC88, which doesn't seem to cause a problem. It also displays the status of the main variables and the various MIDI keys.

In order to run the Javascript, remove the ".txt" extension, then copy it into the AppData effects/MIDI directory where other JS scripts are. Then in Options-Preferences-Plug-Ins-ReWire, click on "Scan for New Plug-Ins" so that Reaper recognises the new file. Then on any Virtual Instrument, click on "FX", then "Add" and locate the "MIDI Wind Controller" file. You should now be able to control the volume of your instrument with your Wind Controller.

It works on my EWI 5000. Hopefully it works on other Wind Controllers. Let me know how it goes and if we can improve this script at all.

Devon
Attached Files
File Type: txt MIDI_Wind_Controller.txt (1.8 KB, 352 views)
dpmatsalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
dpmatsalla

Although I'm just realising that the portomento function on the EWI still doesn't work, even with this script. If anyone figures out how to adapt the script, let me know.
dpmatsalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Kokopelli

Do you still play the EWI 5000 with Reaper? I use Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried an EWI USB and it did not work right for me. Thanks
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
juan_r

To get started, I would look for softsynths with sounds programmed explicitly for the EWI controllers and take a good look at the patches to see how they are made. I suppose there should be no need for a script if the synth can respond appropriately to breath controller or portamento time messages etc. In such cases, it's not about scripting. It's more about programming patches that respond to the right controllers.

Some synths just can't respond to breath control or other messages used by EWI controllers. That's where a script to remap the controllers might be necessary - but if the synth, for example, can't change the portamento time by learned midi control no matter what, then there's little that can be done.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Kokopelli

Thanks, I ordered one today from Sweetwater. I will probably start a new thread regarding Reaper and the EWI 5000 after I get up and going if I don't find more information here. Yes there is a company called Patchman that specializes in the synth sounds for wind controllers. Also, I found a YouTube channel called Bernie Kenerson that looks very informative, I read that he sells a special EWI setup that at least one person recommended but I don't know if he will offer other tips for synth sounds. When you say Synth Sounds; is that the same as VSTs? Thanks Again.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
juan_r

When I say synth sound, I mean specific patches for synth VSTi's - or samplers, for that matter.
In general, what is needed is:
  1. A working EWI
  2. A VSTi instrument that is able to receive and react to the specific MIDI commands issued by the EWI (breath control, vibrato control, glissato, portamento, etc. Not really sure exactly what these commands are).
  3. A patch (program, sound) for that VSTi that actually makes use of the capability to receive and react. For example, a patch where Breath Controller messages act on volume and/or filter cutoff.
I'm sure several VSTi's, even some free ones, are suitable to cover Point 2. All that's left is finding out which ones.

Finally, some suitable patches to cover Point 3 are needed. This could be as simple as editing other good-sounding patches in the modulation sources/destinations section to have, say, CC02 (Breath Control) modulate volume and/or filter cutoff.

There must be a wealth of detailed information available on EWI or other wind controller forums.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #7
Kokopelli

Thanks for the detailed response. Those little details really help.