Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
drejkee
Human being with feelings

Default RedAmption compressor bug

I found this freeware nice UI side-chain compressor. But in Reaper something goes wrong with it. When it's direct input is not fed CPU rises above +40%. I tested it in Studio One - everything works fine. I understand there is perfect ReaComp, but I would like to use this compressor anyway.
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1024
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedAmption_2.jpg (28.1 KB, 264 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rar red amption bug.rar (1.18 MB, 97 views)

Last edited by drejkee; 04-29-2017 at 03:18 PM.
drejkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
drejkee

Can somebody check this compressor please, maybe problem is in my setup ?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
ivansc

May well be a factor in why this aged 32bit only plug is no longer "officially" available. If I recall, most of their stuff was made with synthedit, which has caused problems in Reaper (at least the 64bit version I use) for ages.

What does this do so well that you really really want to keep using it? Maybe a modern equivalent out there...
Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Lokasenna

If the issue happens when there's no input signal, my first guess would be denormalization. Lots of older plugins had it.

Test: Download the free GVST plugin bundle, and add GNormal to your FX chain prior to the compressor. Set GNormal's I/O pins to 3/4 and 3/4 so it's processing the sidechain signal. If the the CPU issue goes away, then it was denormalization. You can leave GNormal in the chain if you want, it doesn't do anything notable to the signal.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:47 AM   #5
drejkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If the issue happens when there's no input signal, my first guess would be denormalization. Lots of older plugins had it.

Test: Download the free GVST plugin bundle, and add GNormal to your FX chain prior to the compressor. Set GNormal's I/O pins to 3/4 and 3/4 so it's processing the sidechain signal. If the the CPU issue goes away, then it was denormalization. You can leave GNormal in the chain if you want, it doesn't do anything notable to the signal.
I have checked your test, unfortunately nothing happened.((

GOOD NEWS !! when loading readamption compressor i occasionally picked up JS bit depth reduction (because of letters 'red' in the search field). Then to my mind came an idea to turn dither ON. To my great SURPRISE it has solved a problem with cpu usage !! ))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
What does this do so well that you really really want to keep using it?
Cool analog styled UI as i said (+two pointers), and easy to use. And it's appearance reminds me of Ableton's glue comporessor (i am a big fun of A.Live )

Last edited by drejkee; 05-01-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
haervo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drejkee View Post

GOOD NEWS !! when loading readamption compressor i occasionally picked up JS bit depth reduction (because of letters 'red' in the search field). Then to my mind came an idea to turn dither ON. To my great SURPRISE it has solved a problem with cpu usage !! ))))

Yes, that is denormalisation. Dithering gives a very, very lowly (<- there you have another new word) signal. Denormalisation - and the problems with it - occur, if there is no signal, but the plugin tries to process signal. Thats when the CPU goes crazy. Give it a little bit - beneath recognition - and it works normally.

Lokasenna was on the right path, would have worked, if that G-thingie would put out any signal, but it doesnt obviously.

Glad that in the end it worked out for you. :-)

But how for the sake of it did you come to the ides that putting dither in front of it would be a good idea??? :-)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
ivansc

He has ten posts....?

OP glad you figured it out, but do be wary of old free plugs even if they are pretty.

Just sayin'
Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #8
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by haervo View Post
Lokasenna was on the right path, would have worked, if that G-thingie would put out any signal, but it doesnt obviously.
Except that's exactly what the plugin does - it adds some tiny random noise to prevent denormalization. Why it didn't work here, I can't say.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
haervo

Quote:
Except that's exactly what the plugin does - it adds some tiny random noise to prevent denormalization. Why it didn't work here, I can't say.
Maybe the path from the sidechain-input didnt affect in terms of denormalisation the plugin. I guess. The dither plugin comes straight into 1/2, so a signal comes into the problematic path regarding denormalisation.

Anyway in former times - 2000ish - I remember having a plugin by Jeroen Breebart I think that was stuck to every channel if something was suspicious. that thing was called denormal or such. It did just that: put out a signal at -160db or so. Was a number of times a great help. Not all VST-developers cared about denormalisation. There were some Steinberg plugins - if I remember correctly - that also suffered from that problem. Its a long time ago...
Old 05-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Lokasenna

Yeah, I misread the OP and thought it was denormalizing when the sidechain input had no signal. Oops.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
drejkee

Quote:
Yeah, I misread the OP and thought it was denormalizing when the sidechain input had no signal. Oops.
GNormal works too. Just need to increase level from -600 to -200 db. Now i understand!

Thank you !

Last edited by drejkee; 05-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.