COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Guod3
Human being with feelings

Default Synching REAPER to NINJAM

I'm using NINJAM REAPER plugin to jam on a private server (the same computer as my DAW).
I've tried restarting the transport of REAPER so that it coincides with the NINJAM click.
When the REAPER tempo is identical to the NINJAM tempo, the NINJAM click will stay in synch with the REAPER metronome for a very long time, in fact with the limited testing I've done so far, it seems to stay in synch.

But is there a better way to achieve this? (That is, slave REAPER's start/stop/tempo to NINJAM)
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
pljones

The short answer is "no".

The VST protocol doesn't let a plug-in start the transport. I've no idea if ReaNINJAM could have this "back door" added, though. (I guess it was not seen as particularly relevant to have pre-recorded content played for a tool intended for live jams. ReaNINJAM does, of course, record the jam session. I'd also guess it's extremely unlikely to have any features added...)

Something else ReaNINJAM could do (but doesn't) is postpone generating outputting intervals until you start the transport moving in the host (i.e. receive them but not play them). You'd hear nothing until that point, of course, which would probably defeat the purpose. You'd also still be some random multiple of the interval "out of sync" but that's just the way of NINJAM (and doesn't really count!).
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Guod3

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed, it doesn't seem a topic that gets talked about.

The idea is not so much about playing to pre recorded material but about laying down tracks on the fly, synchronising synth arps and subsequences, tempo synched live effects etc,etc.

As to implementing it, in the context of a REAPER specific VST plugin, it could interact with REAPER at a low level through API's or whatever, could be done, but how hard I don't know, there would have to be some demand for this sort of thing.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
pljones

Oh, so "just" picking up the BPM and BPI values, rather than synchronising to the interval? That sounds a bit easier (i.e. only two settings to change rather than audio buffering to mess around with).
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Guod3

Actually, I do mean fully synching REAPER's MIDI to the NINJAM session. I guess this implies slaving the audio to the external time base...
The idea is simple but actually making it work is different, I know...