Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER Contest - May 2017 (RESULTS)

REAPER CONTEST - MAY 2017
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)
OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 1-20 May
VOTING: 21-28 May
RESULTS: 31 May

DOWNLOAD ALL THE SUBMISSIONS

May 2017 winner: martinmadero
April 2017 winner: mawi
March 2017 winners: REAmix and cnyk
Febrary 2017 winner: Fergler
January 2017 winner: Indiscipline
December 2016 winner: Fergler
November 2016 winner: zacki
October 2016 winner: Indiscipline

This month the song to mix is Heartbeats from the band Juliet's Rescue, chosen by the user mawi who won the last month

Have fun

I have great news for you guys! The REAPER Contest has now an official website and a facebook page!
On the website you'll find all the links and info you need and if you go to page contact page, you can even upload your submission directly to the website!
Feel free to tell me what you think and if you have any suggestion I'll be happy to hear it
At the moment the contest are still relying a lot to the forum, but in the near future I want to implement more a blog style page, with comments for every article.

CONDITIONS AND STEPS TO FOLLOW:

1) Download the source files from this link.

2) When you’ve mixed it send a zip file to reaper.contest@gmail.com (or here) with:
  • Your Reaper project
  • any reverb impulses you’ve used
  • any custom JSFX you’ve used (put them in an effect subfolder (project_path/Effects/))
  • a master mix (limited to -1 dB and at -14 LUFS): FLAC, 44.1 kHz, 24 bit
  • a note containing your username and your reaper profile URL
3) Go to the Submissions tab on the website to listen to the submissions. Pick your 3 favourite mixes and take note of their ID numbers (look the track titles). You can also download the zip file "SUBMISSIONS" with an RPP containing all the files.

4) Click here to vote your 3 favourite mixes.

A few VERY important notes:
  • DON'T RENAME the source files and the source folder.
  • DON'T SEND ME the source files.
  • READ TWICE this post before sending me your zip file. If I ask for a FLAC don't send me an MP3 or a WAV. Please, it's not that difficult and it would make my life a lot easier!
  • DON'T GLUE ANY FILE
  • DON'T USE SAMPLES

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
REAmix

This looks pretty cool. Looks like less of a fix it job. I hope I have time to put something together this month.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
trevlyns

Not a genre I'd normally go for, but a challenge nevertheless
Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 AM   #4
bezusheist

the Reaper graphic is way too big.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 AM   #5
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
the Reaper graphic is way too big.
in the 1st post?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
bezusheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
in the 1st post?
yes. it makes the text way too small on my iPad and the page is "too wide" on my iMac.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
REAmix

Quote:
in the 1st post?
Ya, some forums have auto-resize options, which this one unfortunately does not use. It's always kind of a pain with pictures that are too wide, because then every comment ends up wider than the screen, and words wrap right to the edge, so you have to use the dredded horizontal scroll at that point.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #8
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
yes. it makes the text way too small on my iPad and the page is "too wide" on my iMac.
ok I'll fix it
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
RDBOIS
Banned

Hey.

I like the idea of having a website. So many possibilities...

I think it is safe to assume this website is a work in progress, but for now I would like to point out a possible design flaw: The rules for mixing are only found in the FAQ.

I don't know about you, but I don't often go to FAQs... Some, if not many, will simply click the "Download You Session" button, or the top bar link MIXING and be on their way creating a nightmare for you down the road.

A simple way to inform those wishing to participate would be to have the "Download You Session" button linked to separate RULES&DOWNLOAD page, where the rules would be mentioned and the "Download You Session" button is replaced with a "I UNDERSTAND THE RULES - PROCEED" button.

Or something along those lines...

Just a suggestion.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
Ya, some forums have auto-resize options, which this one unfortunately does not use.
If you set the style (at the very bottom of the page) with the "Quick Style Chooser" to Reaper 5, the images are resized to fit the screen. You can set that as default in your User CP, if you wish.

Quote:
ok I'll fix it
Hey Dave, just to save you some work: choose a size of 750x600 px, it will fit both styles.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
If you set the style (at the very bottom of the page) with the "Quick Style Chooser" to Reaper 5, the images are resized to fit the screen. You can set that as default in your User CP, if you wish.

Hey Dave, just to save you some work: choose a size of 750x600 px, it will fit both styles.
Nice. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I like the idea of having a website. So many possibilities...
Yeah, as I said one of the reasons I wanted to create a website was to move everything slowly from the forum to this new platform. It is quite annoying to update the forum, google drive and surveymonkey. With the website I could potentially do all in 1-2 places.

Quote:
I think it is safe to assume this website is a work in progress
Yes it's not finished. I decided to show it now because I thought that it had reached a good level and was ready to do a lot of things. For example, the submissions will be able to be listened to in the "submissions" tab.

Quote:
The rules for mixing are only found in the FAQ.
Those are not even the rules, those are questions that new people keep asking when they find out these contents. The rules will be in the "mixing" tab, which at the moment doesn't really exist. So that's something that you'll see in a few days. Definitely ready for the next month, among other things. But FAQ will not go away
Old 05-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
REAmix

This project is such a breath of fresh air as compared to the other ones we've had. Whoever did the recording and arranging for this one did a nice job.

It feels great to be able to get more straight into the nitty gritty of mixing, rather than have more in the turd polishing category.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
msundh

Default Vorting criterias

The voting result from april convinced about voting on your own contribution.
I think this is mixing, not mastering, so how it sounds on different devices is not an issue.
The voting criterias should be few and straight (so many voters as possible).

Encouragement:
1) Don't vote on your own mix
2) Submit your critique (details) on the individual mixes.

My voting criterias:
1) clarity - EQ
2) composition - the arrangement - 'not using all the tracks all the time at the same level'
3) Artistics - artistics added value. Musicaly mixing. Added back vocals with pitch, tempo shifting etc.
4) Whole impression - how did you like the mix as a whole. Current criteria
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
RDBOIS
Banned

I'd enjoy more mixing songs of amateur Reaper member artists. It would be more useful than mixing the songs of bands that already have perfectly mixed/mastered versions. I don't know... It's odd to be mixing a song that already has 100's of versions out there and that the artist will never hear or care about.

I was trying to win the March contest so I could submit one of my songs... Not even sure that would be kosher, but that's a moot point as I'm not nearly good enough to get close to wining a mixing contest. Perhaps this contest is not the place for entry-level tracks? I'm very close of starting a "MIX THIS" thread so a group of Reaper members could work, more or less together, to help an amateur figure out the best mix/process for an original creation. Theory is good, I can mix a song, but I have no reference or idea how/why it could sound better. I'm not alone in this predicament.

This contest is fun and a great initiative. It certainly is a learning experience to a certain degree. It provides tracks to mix with a reference. But, I'm on board for a song rating system to clarify the voting process, increase the learning value, and inform people on why their mix didn't win.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #16
REAmix

Personally, I would prefer to have the most professional content possible. Polishing turds is not much fun.

The arrangement is really important also, so if I get a song I don't really like, with an arrangement I think is poor, and poor quality recordings, I just won't want to participate.

I actually really like this one for that. It sounds kind of like a Disney song I guess, but it's nice to have it well recorded, or nice clean sounds. And they already melodyned the vocals, so a part of me doesn't need to die every time I replay certain parts.

One thing I don't like about this project though, is how they decided to cut the last main vox right at the end of the words on the last part. If it was at a big full part of the mix it wouldn't be so bad, but it's going to sound awkward I think, unless you get pretty generous with the reverb, which I don't think I'm going to do with this one.

The REAverb is going to be a bit of a downer for this one. That's one of the things the REAplugs are really short on in my opinion. I like good algorithm reverbs.

Last edited by REAmix; 05-07-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #17
trevlyns

PLEASE RESIZE THE 'REAPER CONTEST' GRAPHIC AT THE START OF THIS PAGE

IT'S MUCH TOO BIG AND MAKES THE FORUM A PAIN TO READ!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post

Scroll down and you'll see a drop down menu at the bottom left that reads "reaper 3" switch that to "reaper 5" and all your problems will be solved.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #19
trevlyns

But I like Reaper 3!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
DaveKeehl

Quote:

jeez dude calm down...
Old 05-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #21
trevlyns

Here's what it's like on Reaper 3...

Attached Images
File Type: gif Screen.gif (50.2 KB, 735 views)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #22
REAmix

If you're being serious, all you have to do is switch it to reaper 5, and you're making all this fuss, then Idk what to say.

I feel like there are maybe more important things you could be worrying about.

If there was never a "reaper 3" option in the first place, what would you have done?

A lot of people post images that are too big for forums, so, you're going to get burned again.

I would much prefer a look I liked less, over random image sizing issues, but that's me. I am indifferent to how a forum looks anyway, really.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #23
martinmadero

Hi folks!
Hey dave, nice job! page, facebook, yeah!
Itīs a cool work
Well, letīs contest!
Downloading the files!
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #24
trevlyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
If you're being serious, all you have to do is switch it to reaper 5, and you're making all this fuss, then Idk what to say.

I feel like there are maybe more important things you could be worrying about.

If there was never a "reaper 3" option in the first place, what would you have done?

A lot of people post images that are too big for forums, so, you're going to get burned again.

I would much prefer a look I liked less, over random image sizing issues, but that's me. I am indifferent to how a forum looks anyway, really.
C'mon guys - lighten up
Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #25
REAmix

Quote:
C'mon guys - lighten up
That's what I was thinking. I thought you were only joking. But I guess I was wrong.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #26
Tod

Aah Dave, that is much better..
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #27
Fergler

Survey monkey should allow a text box answer, why don't you use that to collect the name of the voter so you can discourage self-voting?
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #28
Otto Tune

^^ Great idea, Fergler. Would also ensure that each voter has a recognizable name on the forum.
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #29
REAmix

Ya, Idk if anyone would do such a thing and I don't think anyone did, judging by the voting turn out, but technically, couldn't one could go and do a bunch of surveys and vote for themselves a few times?

I was thinking that the other day. Not like there would be much to gain from that though, so I don't think it's such a liability.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
martinmadero

the fact that a participant could vote break the rules of the meaning of "contest"
itīs funny to mix a song, really like.
but i didnīt go to participate on purposes to win.
if the self-vote represents a problem, why donīt select for example, three members to listen and judge the submissions, every month? and these members could not participate into the mixes.
so, we can eliminate the self voting, and we could offer a different point-of-view of why the votes could go to one or other member.
besides, the judges could elaborate a list, detailed in every mix, why and why not they voted to each mix or not.
the judges donīt see the names of the members who delivered the submissions. they work only on the votes, and dave, and the final of the round, revealed all; the names of the submissions and the votes gained in.
i think thereīs a good idea to alternate and polish the fact on the autovoting, or subjetive voting.
anyway, thereīs always a subjetive point of view on the voting process, but.. it could be a different approach..
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #31
REAmix

I find that his track could use some more backup vocal accents. It makes a big difference when you can layer vocals and hard pan them, even if they are singing the exact same thing. Both for hard panning and also just for the layered effect. Some harmony at some times is good as well, but layered vocals like that can really give a lot of energy to certain parts. There is some of that in this project, but it's also more weak than it needs to be in that department, imo. But the rest is really well arranged I find.

As for the judging thing, I don't think we need to worry about it too much. It's not really a big deal who wins. I know that I would not want to only judge, personally. As for the quality of the judging, I think having 3 judges is good for the fact they aren't biased by their own mix, less good because they listen on only one system, and it is the opinion of only individuals, which aren't necessarily the best for that job. If you got 3 top industry professionals to judge it, then yes I would really want that a lot.

But I'm easy either way, if others wanted to do that. But, I would not want to be one of the judges that don't produce, is my only thing. Unless maybe I couldn't mix a project for some other reason already.

Last edited by REAmix; 05-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #32
msundh

It's always nice to win, but the feedback some gave last month is more useful.
Not only the details, but also it's interesting how different we do judge.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #33
martinmadero

yes, actually really like the contest that way
Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #34
thunderbroom

Looking forward to participating AND fully this month (unlike dropping out last minute last month!). Great idea on the website and FB group!
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #35
mawi

It's really hard to mix only with REAPER plug-ins. I don't like the included JS plugins. I'm missing a good reverb, tape-/mod-delay, chorus/doubler/harmonizer, tube-/tape-saturation, brickwall limiter/clipper/maximizer & de-esser. Has anyone a tip, if there is something somewhere for REAPER?
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #36
REAmix

I just want to say, that this flac business is really getting to me. I don't know how you guys do it. there is a noticeable delay, every time I hit play. Sometimes it doesn't trigger, sometimes I hit it twice while I'm waiting, but that paused it again, etc. Zooming in goes really slow. I think we should really use a different format, because it really gets on my nerves too much. I need to be able to quickly navigate, and audition small sections and things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
It's really hard to mix only with REAPER plug-ins. I don't like the included JS plugins. I'm missing a good reverb, tape-/mod-delay, chorus/doubler/harmonizer, tube-/tape-saturation, brickwall limiter/clipper/maximizer & de-esser. Has anyone a tip, if there is something somewhere for REAPER?
Ya, especially for something like this, just reaper plugs is really rough. Brickwall there is a good one. De-esser I use reaxcomp, but there is a de-esser also. You can also use envelopes. Reverb, you're screwed. Harmonizer idk, chorus there is one but, chorus effect kind of sucks in general. You really want to track doubles and vocalign them. There is a saturation plug, but it's not great. I don't actually like reaxcomp much either.

------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Also, this song has some good promise in some parts, but in other parts, I really wish I could change it.

Last edited by REAmix; 05-09-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #37
karbomusic

Quote:
Reverb, you're screwed
You can use impulses if you properly include them in the uploaded project. That may not be the reverb of your wildest dreams but should be sufficient enough.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #38
Lunganar

Quiet in here... I'm getting closer to the end now...
Lunganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #39
msundh

Don't chat, mix!!
There's no end, only giving up
I'm close to give up.
Good luck everyone!!
/M
Old 05-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #40
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You can use impulses if you properly include them in the uploaded project. That may not be the reverb of your wildest dreams but should be sufficient enough.
Ya, the thing about that, is I'd have to browse for impulse reponses, and I don't really like convolution quite as much, because of its sort of lack of flexibility. But maybe I'll try that on the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunganar View Post
Quiet in here... I'm getting closer to the end now...
Ya, me too. I like where it is going so far too. Probably means I'll get 0 votes again lol.