Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
orbiterred
Human being with feelings

Default Assign midi fader to specific track

Hi all, trying to figure something out before I buy a midi controller with faders.

Is it possible to assign a fader to a specific track and have it "stick" to that track?

I know I can use actions to assign to track X, but the problem I can forsee is that as soon as I add another track before track X it becomes track X+1 if that makes sense... and now the fader will be controlling the track before it, not the one I had originally specified. At least I think that's how it works?

Just trying to figure out how this works before I make a purchase, cheers!
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
trevlyns

Here's a video that will help...
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
orbiterred

actually it's that video that raised my question in the first place...

he shows that you can map a midi control to a specific track: example: 'Set Volume For Track 6'

That's great, but what happens when say I need to insert a new track between the current 5 and 6 tracks. Now what WAS track 6 is NOW track 7 but my midi controller is still controlling track 6 which I don't want, I want it to follow the track that I originally assigned it to.

Basically I'd like to map 8 faders to 8 specific tracks in reaper (say a guitar group, a vocal group, a bass group, a drum group etc...) and then be able to add tracks around that for verbs/sends whatever but keep the 8 faders stuck to the original 8 tracks.
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
bassburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
That's great, but what happens when say I need to insert a new track between the current 5 and 6 tracks. Now what WAS track 6 is NOW track 7 but my midi controller is still controlling track 6 which I don't want, I want it to follow the track that I originally assigned it to.

Basically I'd like to map 8 faders to 8 specific tracks in reaper (say a guitar group, a vocal group, a bass group, a drum group etc...) and then be able to add tracks around that for verbs/sends whatever but keep the 8 faders stuck to the original 8 tracks.
I hate to revive an old thread but I was going to ask this exact same question. For now, I have a folder with 16 tracks in it and have my midi faders assigned to tracks 2-17. Then I have all the other tracks below those and have to route the tracks. I would much prefer to have the midi controller assigned to specific folder tracks regardless of how many other tracks are "between" them.

Any ideas?
bassburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

@bassburner - It's a good question and I'm hoping somebody has a new hint.

In the meantime, the way you're doing it doesn't have to be so tedious. You can still use folders the way you normally would. Then you only have to make explicit sends from those folder tracks to your controller tracks.

This is also a decent reason to implement VCA. Then you don't actually have to route anything. The folder (or whatever) faders are slaves to your controller faders. In practice, I'm not sure it saves you any setup time.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
tunevault

Default Same question

4 years later. Any way to do this without adding a bunch of "dummy" tracks at the top of my project, connecting the external faders to those tracks, then using lead/follow to have my folder parents follow the tracks that are connected to the external faders? Same issue where my folder parents aren't always going to be the same track numbers. Would be great if we could just assign an external fader to a certain track, regardless of where it moves in the track order.
tunevault is offline   Reply With Quote