Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #41
Jeffos
Mortal

CPU tests on OSX 10.9.2, Intel Core i5 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM:
- 32-bit: ICC build is MUCH better than the Apple LLVM one, here
- 64-bit: ICC build is a bit better than the Apple LLVM one, here

Note for other users running Mavericks like me: Apple LLVM builds won't run ("unidentified developer" error message) unless you CTRL+click REAPER, then "Open"!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #42
xpander
Human being with feelings

Testing with the project Ollie linked to in post #14 (Right-click Everything - Reaper Science).

Intel Core i7 4770k 3.50GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM in dual mode
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Win64 versions tested:

Visual Studio Express version struggled audibly with the ASIO driver I used, but I kept it for the sake of consistency (same driver for each test).

---
---

Same setup, Win32 versions tested:

No audible problems with any version.

Last edited by xpander; 04-19-2014 at 12:30 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #43
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

LOL, obviously that project is not really apt for i7 rigs. (And the gap between them and an old C2D or even higher spec'd AMDs is pretty mindboggling.)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #44
xpander

Haha, yea I guess it doesn't really test any real performance of these rigs. But that project is so nice sounding to run even just for fun and is also a good showcase of Reaper only work...thanks for that Ollie.

I can add results from quite a bit heavier DAWbench test here if that would serve the purpose better? Not as much fun to play thru though.

--------------

Ok, this time with a heavier load. Testing with the DAWBench 2010 project; Four audio tracks and a sine monitor track plus 40 tracks of stacked ReaXcomps, 320 instances total. All standard settings after the install, ASIO buffer set to my system minimum, 64 samples.

Intel Core i7 4770k 3.50GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM in dual mode
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Win64 versions tested:

Same as earlier, other two versions ran without any troubles but for the Visual Studio Express 2013 I had to set the ASIO buffer to 256 samples to be able to play. Because of that the performance numbers don't quite correlate.

---
---

Win32 versions tested:

No audible problems, all versions tested with a 64 sample buffer.

Last edited by xpander; 04-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #45
heda

testing that Right click everything project... great example project It's amazing what some ReaSynths and JS can do

intel i7, 16gb ram, win7 x64. all default settings.

tested all x64 versions, played the full song and read the cpu avg value:
vs2005 x64: avg 8.11%
vse2013 x64: avg 5.01%
x64: avg 3.36% winner! Visual Studio 2005 + ICC 10.1.025
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #46
DuX

Nevermind. Resolved. And I'm so freaking glad. This has been bothering me for quite some time and has nothing to do with Reaper. It's just that my CPU has been just a tad over the edge since I undervolt it to keep it cooler. The worst thing is when everything else works without a hitch, only this [golden!] project with Reaper crashes the system. Even the burn-in programs didn't show any errors! That is rather confusing. I will post the results of the test here later on when I finish re-tweaking the BIOS.

Last edited by DuX; 04-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I wanted to test "Right click everything" project, but Reaper crashes hard every time as soon as I load the project into a fresh, unaltered, portable install, no matter what compile. I have no clue what's doing it. Is somebody else having the same problem? I can easily post a crash report, of course. This is something that happened to me before so it might be of importance. A hard core Reaper crash, so hard that I have to restart the OS to get the audio working normally again. What could be the problem...? It just says "reaper.exe" in the crash report, so it's not exactly pinpointing to anything, but there could be something revealing in an "in depth" crash report. I am really keen on getting to the bottom of this.
If you have to reboot it is typically a low level driver (.sys) that loads during boot. That's why a reboot is required. I'd post the report since it usually either identifies that driver or the module that crashed it. If there are memory addresses or offsets listed, that will allow the devs to pinpoint more precisely.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #48
DuX

Default VC6 vs VC6+ICC

Thank you for your concern, karbomusic! As it turned out it was only low level voltage on the CPU because I like to keep things cool and quiet. It was just 0.050V too low.

Here are my tests for the "Right-click Everywhere" project. It should come with the Reaper installation, btw. Great demo song. As I've said before, I cannot run VSE2013 compile, so here are my results for the VC6 and VC6+ICC compiled versions of Reaper in Windows DuXP SP3 x86 on my dear AMD Phenom II 965BE based computer with 4GB of G.Skill CL6 RAM and RME HDSP ASIO driver v3.40.

I've done the test in two passes and recorded a screenshot right before the end of the second pass. ASIO buffer was 256 samples @44.1kHz since the project was done in 44.1kHz. VC6+ICC is definitely a tad better performer. It's interesting to notice that the difference is actually not that big with this project. With my project that is full of samples the difference was a tad bigger, but generally I consider this project a much better Reaper benchmark.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 04-20-2014 at 07:20 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote