Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
SEA
Human being with feelings

Default Who Uses Reaper Plugs and Why?

With all the great plugins made by Wanes, NI, UAD, FabFilter, and more... who's using Reapers plugs to get the same or similar results?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
HOFX

Not for similar sounds, but for clean, simple and negligible CPU.

ReaComp for clean, transparent compression. Most common example is 2:1 ratio volume control on tracks (eg last FX on bass), or a 4:1 parallel compression to solidify a track (ex vocals)

ReaEQ currently for all EQ as I'm waiting for VMR to come out. But I can see myself using ReaEQ for High Pass and Low Pass filtering.

ReaDelay for all delay effects. Simple, I understand all controls, know how to use it to get the effect I'm after. Rather than something like EchoBoy that can consume an hour of tweak time.

ReaXComp for multiband compression on low end, only really use this on Drum/Bass buss to tighten up the low end of a mix. I'm not convinced a linear multiband comp (eg Waves LinMB or whatever) will add any extra value.

ReaPitch for pitch shifting....rarely used. I try it every now and then to thicken vocals, but never get a pleasing effect out of it.
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Andy Hamm

ReaPlugs give me all of the basic tools that I need, I do use a handful of other vst(i) either because there is no equivalent ReaPlug or it combines a few functions into a simpler package.

It's not just ReaPlugs, on my ProTools system I used the native Protools plug ins and I didn't have any problem with those either.

When it comes to things like the basic EQ, ReaEQ does exactly what it is supposed to do. The sound I arrive at has very little to do with the vst that I use to eq something with - it's what I do to the eq to arrive at the sound that matters.

ReaPlugs are just good tools and they have all of the basics covered. They are resource light, which I like and they are simple and concise.

Besides the stock plugs I use a drum sequencer, a graphic EQ (rarely), an exciter, a tape sat, sfz player, a few synths, a crossover, and a spectrum analyzer.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
DBMusic

Use ReaEQ for surgical work ReaComp for an occasional de-esser setup because they're transparent and easy to dial in. If I reach for color, it's UAD or Portico. But for serious work I'm OTB.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Iain

I like Reaplugs and use them most of the time. I like to keep things simple and since recently changing to a 64 bit OS I've de-cluttered my other plugins to just those I use a lot:
Compression - Fabfilter & TDR Feedback,
EQ - Stilwell 1973 (and will probably buy Fabfilter EQ soon),
Reverb - Valhalla Room, and Oldskoolverb
Master track - Tonebooster's Barricade and EBU loudness.

www.iainpaterson.com
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Magicbuss

Reacomp for sidechain compression (e.g. bass ducked by the kick)

Reagate because it does the job

Readelay because its easy to use and the built in bitcrusher is useful for easily adding character.

Reafir for noise removal

Reatune for basic pitch correction (melodyne gets the the heavy workload)

ReaXcomp because its free, it works well and I dont use MB compression all that often

For main EQ, compression, limiter, and reverb duties there are free and cheap plugs that do the job much better for me than Reaplugs
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
citizenkeith

EQ - ReaEQ for just about everything, occasionally using Stillwell's VibeEQ

Comp - ReaComp for 75% of my comp needs. Stillwell's The Rocket and Bombardier for most everything else

De-ess - I use ReaComp

Comp/Limiting - Limiter No6 on the master buss, though it can be a CPU hog

Delay - ReaDelay is easy to use and sounds great. I also use Valhalla's free echo, though I'll soon add UberMod to the mix

ReaGate - does what it's supposed to. I use it when I need a gate. No need for anything else

ReaVerb - Not my go-to reverb, but I'll use it for Impulse Response files

ReaXcomp - my go-to multiband compressor

I don't really use the other plugins, but I may investigate those now that it's come up. I really think ReaPlugs are excellent, and I recommend the free VST download to friends and colleagues on other DAW systems.
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
XITE-1/4LIVE

I like the non destructive plugs, routing and MIDI Plug ins.
Combined with Bidule and Scope DSP I can route anything, anywhere, anytime.

But for destructive edits like EQ, Comp/Limit, and time based effects and modulation I still prefer the dedicated audio chips approach for higher math calculations.

Access to both simultaneously is a real treat during recording or performing.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
ValeryOrloff

Default All ReaPlugs- great!

The Reaper's set includes everything you need, no need to buy anything at all, except for synthesizers, which is also no need to buy, when there is Synth1 and other
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
Giano
Banned

Default Reaper has it all...

https://soundcloud.com/giano-riff/smoothmadness

all fx plugins are from Reaper, no need to buy Waves or whatever...

Sound is good, CPU-friendly, very subtle, loud enough, just perfect...

Listen and you ll c...
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeryOrloff View Post
The Reaper's set includes everything you need, no need to buy anything at all, except for synthesizers, which is also no need to buy, when there is Synth1 and other
Yes you can get by with just the included FX. Dont forget the JS stuff either.

However there are free plugins (especially EQ and compression) that are better than the ones included in reaper IMO and quite frankly some are as good as any commercial offerings.

Melda MEQ has a MUCH better analyser than ReaEQ which makes it better for surgical EQ'ing.

Baxter EQ, SonEQ and Slick EQ have better sounding filters and shelves than ReaEQ.

Loudmax, limiter No. 6 and W1 are all better than any limiter provided by reaper.

There are lots of free character compressors I would choose over reacomp. ThrillseekerLA and Molot to name a couple. I tend to use character comps alot.

Density MKIII and TDR FB II are excellent free buss compressors that have no equal in Reaper.

Reverberate LE is just plain better than Reaverb. Much more control over the IR's

The list goes on...

Last edited by Magicbuss; 07-24-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Melda MEQ has a MUCH better analyser than ReaEQ which makes it better for surgical EQ'ing.
I don't mean to side-track, but I feel ReaEQ is perfectly capable of "surgical EQ." I don't need a fancy GUI when I have my ears. Or am I missing something here?
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I don't mean to side-track, but I feel ReaEQ is perfectly capable of "surgical EQ." I don't need a fancy GUI when I have my ears. Or am I missing something here?

Thats fine. Theres nothing wrong with ReaEQ especially for utility tasks like notch filtering.

I wouldnt call the melda gui fancy. Most people dont seem to like it. I would say that its analyser is VERY good and much more accurate than the one in ReaEQ. I find a good analyser makes it easier to find narrow peaks. For me, eyes + ears can sometimes be faster than ears alone. Sometimes...not so much. which is why I like using console EQ's like SonEQ: no graphs at all... just twiddle the knobs and go by what your ears tell you.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
thequietroom

reaeq
readelay
reacomp
js saturation

Why? because they came with reaper.. and they work
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

ReaConp and ReaEQ I use very frequently because they work extremely well and are very flexible. Particularly ReaComp.
I also use ReaTune, ReaPitch, ReaGate and ReaDelay quite often too. ReaTune is great for adding whammy effects to lead guitar parts played without a whammy bar (I locked off my bridge to keep things in tune).
The JS Moog low pass filter is another favourite of mine as is the MGA JS Limiter.
Anomaly's VOLA leveller is another awesome JS which I use a lot too.

Overall, there's plenty of really useable tools that come with REAPER.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
JimFichs

ReaEQ is my most-used plug-in. Switching to another EQ is the last thing I would do. If I want to add color, I'd find something that does that specifically.

ReaDelay, ReGate and ReaComp are also adequate enough for me to divert my attention and budget elsewhere. ReaVerb is good for loading IRs, but I'm also looking at the Valhalla DSP plugs at the moment for algorithmic reverb. Since I'm still early on in my audio learning, it's hard to tell which would suit my needs best.

I'll also have to spend some time learning all the JS plugs, since I know so little about those. Megababy looks awesome.
JimFichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #17
ValeryOrloff

Default analyser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post

yes, Reaper needs in cool analyser like Manalyser, but that's all,
in fact, i use ReaFir as analyser. Need to display value of notes?
insert ReaTune or other tuner Fxs.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeryOrloff View Post
yes, Reaper needs in cool analyser like Manalyser, but that's all,
in fact, i use ReaFir as analyser. Need to display value of notes?
insert ReaTune or other tuner Fxs.
Or even cooler would be like voxengos glisseq.. where you can see the analizer of other tracks as well.

I suggested it in the FRs but I think my post collected dust
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #19
somebodyelseuk

I use 'em.

Why?
30+ years of spending 10s of thousands of pounds on guitars, amps and effects chasing sounds and finding it takes more than just gear to get 'that sound'. I'm new to 'this side of the glass', but the playing experience has taught me to exhaust the possibilities of what I already have before spending money.
My inexperience also means that I'm not familiar with the characteristics of the classic outboard gear from an engineering perspective, so I attempt to achieve the sound in my head (again) using what I have to hand... what I'm saying is, sure, I've heard hundreds of tracks that use, for example, an 1176 compressor on them, but I'm ignorant to what specific character the 1176 adds...
Another approach I use, where I do know specifics, is 'replicating' the signal flow of a 'process'... eg. something I have tried to reproduce is the characteristics of certain tape echo units from the 60s-80s. Chaining saturators, eq, flangers, tremolo and delay to mimic the pre-amp, wow and flutter etc has worked quite well and I've learned stuff along the way... without spending fortunes on commercial plugins.
Then again, I do have the time to mess around - I don't do it for a living.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
I use 'em.

Why?
30+ years of spending 10s of thousands of pounds on guitars, amps and effects chasing sounds and finding it takes more than just gear to get 'that sound'. I'm new to 'this side of the glass', but the playing experience has taught me to exhaust the possibilities of what I already have before spending money.
My inexperience also means that I'm not familiar with the characteristics of the classic outboard gear from an engineering perspective, so I attempt to achieve the sound in my head (again) using what I have to hand... what I'm saying is, sure, I've heard hundreds of tracks that use, for example, an 1176 compressor on them, but I'm ignorant to what specific character the 1176 adds...
Another approach I use, where I do know specifics, is 'replicating' the signal flow of a 'process'... eg. something I have tried to reproduce is the characteristics of certain tape echo units from the 60s-80s. Chaining saturators, eq, flangers, tremolo and delay to mimic the pre-amp, wow and flutter etc has worked quite well and I've learned stuff along the way... without spending fortunes on commercial plugins.
Then again, I do have the time to mess around - I don't do it for a living.
Have you tried out Variety of Sound NastyDLA yet? If you're into tape delays with character, you'll love it and it is free.
It is by far my favourite delay plugin and I use it on nearly all my work.
VoS NastyDLA MKII
Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
whiteaxxxe
Banned

exactly for the reason, that the have no sound, no color, no mojo and wtf elese is big hype nowadays.

I am normally a Cubase user (since 25 years), and since the last 10 years I found myself always coming back to the stock plugins. I made commercial productions with stock plugins. I have tried everything, someone needed to onkly mention it and I tried it. and after the first loud wow came the hmmm and then the no.

reaplugs are doing what they shall do, for example the compressor: it compresses. like I did (and do) mastering with Cubase stock plugins I do it (I will do it, for I am new to Reaper) with Reaplugins. the music has the color, I find it extremely poor, when the color has to come from the fx like comps and eqs. aaaaand ... if a plugin has a saturation control its immediately thrown into the basket. I dont want a plugin mess with my music. I want it clear and nice and round and not f***ed up with saturation or tape-sound. I am sooo happy that we are nowadays dont have to make use of all this analog bs anymore. will be a relief when the last tape-recorder is gone to thze vault of oblivion. :-(((

so, the Reaplugs are for me on the same cleaniness-level as the Cubase stock-plugins. over at Gearslutz there were some measurements ... no coloring, no added harmonics in for example the compressor. thats what I like. let Neli Young and Jack White have their fun with old analog-bs-gear (I likie them both a very, very lot, but their attitude on technical aspects ... oh, my god ...), for me they and people like them are stupidly backwards tending nerds. sorry ... digital is way superior to analog and that has to be heard in the tracks. we can make the tracks nowadays soooo good sounding, what analog never ever can achieve.

so clean sounding plugins are the way to go. :-))
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #22
Twangothan

Default Yep

I moved to Reaper as my main DAW last year and decided I was going to use it as far as possible with the stock plugs. I honestly think there's a load of BS spouted about plugs TBH - the quality of the song and performance and tracking is much more important. That said, I've added Valhalla Room as a reverb, and one or two other freebies (by Focusrite interface came with some nice Scarlett plugs, Adverb, Rough Rider) but in the main I find ReaEQ, ReaGate and Reacomp work perfectly, are simple, effective and (mentioned above) are low overhead. For mastering I don't use a Reaper - probably because it know it very well, I use Wavelab where I use a Ozone as the main plugin suite which has everything you need at that point.

I discovered I have a load of Stilwell plugs there too - anyone use them? No interface, but they seem to work.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #23
somebodyelseuk

@ ReaDave. Appreciate the link, and maybe I'll give it a blow sometime..? I've used eTap2 in the past which is very good, but the scientist in me got curious and I ended up devising my own chains to do the same thing. OK, I have time on my hands, I 'love the chase'.

I'm afraid I'm with Whiteaxxe on this. I want the character in the initial wave form, not added afterwards. Digital effects SHOULD be (at least they used to be) about being clean and doing only the effect, not the noise.
Analogue "Character" is the noise, signal degradation and other shit that we were trying to eliminate 30 years ago, now it's being added back(?). From a VST perspective, it's nothing more than an EQ curve, distortion/compression... it's easily do-able without resorting to 'buying it in'... if that's what floats your boat, but in that case, why not buy/borrow/hire the real thing?

PS. One thing that makes me chuckle/want to punch people in the face is I've done a series of patches for a popular 'budget-end' multiFX processor that are (as accurate as possible) replications of a 'famous British guitarists' echo patterns from the 60s. The biggest complaint I get is that I don't use noise reduction!?!?!

Last edited by somebodyelseuk; 07-28-2014 at 01:29 AM.
somebodyelseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #24
hewman

I use Reaper stock plugins for the basic needs: Comp, Eq, Multiband EQ, Limiter and also the reaper sampler. They are much simpler to use and I like their simple GUI as well.

The extra plugins I use sparingly are amp sims, tube saturation, and some modulation and delays.
hewman is offline   Reply With Quote