Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default A dear Thank you to you all !

Dear Reapers,

I felt i HAD to make this post to you all.

For more than 25 years now i worked with nearly all DAW's that exist and never ever was really "at home" with them.
A few months ago i picked up Reaper and fell in love with it right away i am for sure not stepping over again to another DAW.

It's just an amazing DAW but what is equally important for me is that it has this community behind it which is so incredibly helpful and i can simply feel the love for Reaper by you all.

I have never met such a dedicated DAW community with people that always trying to help you and people who find that there really is no stupid question about Reaper and always willing to help.

So i am reallly grateful to be part of this lovely Reaper Scene and want to thank you for all your help !
You can all be proud of yourself i think.

Big Handsdown folks !

Robbie.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Gerry P

I know I think of this regularly...a big thanks to Cuckos!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Cosmic

Fair play to ya Robbie.

RPR 4TW
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
The Telenator
Banned

Doing DAWs for 25 years ...

Heh, heh ... time to post some pictures/screen shots of the first couple of editions of Pro Tools and some early Cakewalk! Some of the first DX plugins, too!

How time flies when you're having FUN!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Bigopigo

Spread the love!

Cheers!
Bigopigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
It's just an amazing DAW but what is equally important for me is that it has this community behind it which is so incredibly helpful and i can simply feel the love for Reaper by you all.

Robbie.
Although everybody in the community takes his/her part to build it, I think this to a great deal is a credit that should go to Justin & Co themselves, because of the way the community is treated by them.

-Data
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
time to post some pictures/screen shots of the first couple of editions of Pro Tools and some early Cakewalk! Some of the first DX plugins, too!
Now this is kinda cool.

Let's see some pics of your first DAWs, or first "computer programs" with which you "made music".

Should we start another thread?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Mr. Data

Yes, I think it should go into another thread, because it's an interesting topic by its own.

-Data
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Mind Riot

I heartily agree with the sentiment of this thread. I don't want to sound like a fanboy by gushing all the time on the forum, but every time I'm using Reaper and I run into a problem or something I don't understand and I look into it and find there's a thorough and usually elegantly intelligent solution, either from the developers or the user community, it kind of gives me a thrill and makes me smile.

Virtually every other piece of software I use, audio related or not, is buggy or irritating or counter-intuitive in some way, to where it's kind of like a sore spot every time I run into it. But even when there's something I might not have done in Reaper, I can clearly see the reason WHY it was done and how it makes things more functional in other ways. It's always for a reason.

Some Reaper users may get overenthusiastic and get a bad rep among some other DAW fans. But it's exciting and engaging and downright rare to be a part of such an inclusive and cooperative environment between developers and customers. And one can't help but feel excited and positive about it.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #10
rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
I heartily agree with the sentiment of this thread. I don't want to sound like a fanboy by gushing all the time on the forum, but every time I'm using Reaper and I run into a problem or something I don't understand and I look into it and find there's a thorough and usually elegantly intelligent solution, either from the developers or the user community, it kind of gives me a thrill and makes me smile.
Exactly..........the time given to help others is very inspirational. It shows a different side of folks from the self centered norm. And i am sure the info contained in these forums stretches far beyond Reaper users.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
Exactly..........the time given to help others is very inspirational. It shows a different side of folks from the self centered norm. And i am sure the info contained in these forums stretches far beyond Reaper users.
I must admit, I never thought about that, but this could be very true.

-Data
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Gerry

Couldn't agree more with the original post. Don't post much just happily using Reaper and far too old to be a FanBoy. Still have Cubase 5 and Sonar 7 installed but never use them and I am not knocking either of them as both are great DAWS. Reaper just does it for me so much easier and with a lot less CPU and when I do have to scratch my head a quick forum search points me in the right direction.

Thank you for starting this thread and thank you to all at Cockos for doing what you do.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
thequietroom

Its fun for me to think of other programs ive paid around 60 dollars for

Then compare the function and capability to reaper..

reaper is the coolest piece of software i've ever come across.. easily.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Now this is kinda cool.

Let's see some pics of your first DAWs, or first "computer programs" with which you "made music".

Should we start another thread?

You can find old screen shots here and there on Google and lots of other places.

I didn't personally BUY a DAW to use on my own at home until Cubase 4 and 5 (which I thoroughly hated, BTW). This sent me running first to Zynewave's Podium and finally to Reaper.

If you want to see my own/home/personal first finished work on a DAW, you should go over to Podium Poppets on SoundCloud. That's the place we Podium users used to post our projects done in all-Podium. The ones I left behind there are only several but show a quick evolution -- from recording normal old acoustic/vocals things to using synths and plugin instruments soon after.

As for the old shots of Pro Tools, the OP stated working in 'nearly all DAWs for 25 years'. Well, there wasn't much around besides early Cakewalk and the notorious SLOW TOOLS. These came in -- basically 99.9% was Pro Tools -- and proceeded to put one great studio after another out of business, if they didn't ditch some of the analog gear and convert to software which was all the rage and getting all the business. Go digital or die, was the state of things circa mid-'90s. Many classic pieces of hardware and a quite a few 2" tape machines went into moth balls.

I was first trained on an MCI in the late '70s, then began work where they had an old and sweet Harrison console. The last place I worked did not convert to full digital production until the end of '97. It was scary as well, but my point in the earlier post was the conversions were to very ugly and primitive Pro Tools systems, completely ugly and idiotic by today's standards. Yes, you no longer had to cut and splice tape, but backups and other things took forever.

Does this help ... dead-man? Or do we need to start another thread?

Last edited by The Telenator; 08-07-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
The Telenator
Banned

Now ... getting to what I think is the most important theme of vanhaze's thread, his comments: '...what is equally important for me is that it has this community behind it which is so incredibly helpful and i can simply feel the love for Reaper by you all.

I have never met such a dedicated DAW community with people that always trying to help you and people who find that there really is no stupid question about Reaper and always willing to help.

So i am reallly grateful to be part of this lovely Reaper Scene ...'

Yes, I have to agree, although I haven't been around to every forum to see what's going on. The Cubase forum wasn't any fun. Neither is a place like KVR, yet you can glean some useful info and the latest details there and at, for example, GearSluts, even though you'll never feel any love at those holes.

I find the Reaper Forum a much more welcoming and helpful place, even though it has its own very small assortment of miscreants and lost children. Glad you are enjoying Reaper and the forum as well, vanhaze!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
The Telenator
Banned

Hey ... DEA-man, where'd you go? dea-man? Whatsa matter, you not like my tunes? I got lots more! dea-man? Hey, you asked ...
Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
dea-man

Quote:
Hey ... DEA-man, where'd you go? dea-man? Whatsa matter, you not like my tunes? I got lots more! dea-man? Hey, you asked ...
What makes you say that?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #18
unique

agreed we are apart of one of the best forums anyone can ask for in the daw world, in general its great, although I cant say I talk about anything else then this program lol.
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
The Telenator
Banned

'What makes you say that?'

Your attitude. Needed an adjusting.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
Syd Masters
Banned

Location: gently scraping your delicate sensibilities with a potato peeler

That's some classic Whizinator right there-
  • Talk about how nice the forum is except for a few "miscreants and lost children"
  • Call somebody a name without provocation
  • Further condescend that person without provocation
Hilarious & sad at the same time.
Syd Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
The Telenator
Banned

No, Syd, what's hilarious and sad is you and your mate, dea-man -- you and him following me 'round, from thread to thread, anywhere I'd post, beggin' for me to show you tunes there a while back. Real tossers, got nothing better to do?

If this were fishing, I could cut bait and head home with a full basket of carp at this point.

Regarding the 'miscreants and lost children', I was just stating the facts, but if you feel the shoe fits ...
Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #22
Syd Masters
Banned

Quote:
No, Syd, what's hilarious and sad is you and your mate, dea-man -- you and him following me 'round, from thread to thread, anywhere I'd post, beggin' for me to show you tunes there a while back. Real tossers, got nothing better to do?

If this were fishing, I could cut bait and head home with a full basket of carp at this point.

Regarding the 'miscreants and lost children', I was just stating the facts, but if you feel the shoe fits ...
I can see the shoe fits you very well.

As far as me following you around, show me a little proof of that because I'd love to see it. Otherwise... as I suspect, it's all in your mind.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #23
dea-man

Quote:

What in the hell are you talking about? What reason would I have to "follow you around"?

I don't know you. I know nothing about you.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
Syd Masters
Banned

Quote:
What in the hell are you talking about? What reason would I have to "follow you around"?

I don't know you. I know nothing about you.
Hey mate! Are you ready to do some more following of the Whizinator? It's you and me, mate!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #25
dea-man

Default Unimportant............

I don't know what he's on about, but the whole thing rates a resounding "whatever".
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #26
Syd Masters
Banned

Quote:
I don't know what he's on about, but the whole thing rates a resounding "whatever".
I see it as yet another cautionary tale of the dangerous side effects of some pharmaceuticals. Let's all be careful out there.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
rvman

I admit I have a problem: I'm always looking at other DAWS. I just think they're cool to mess with. But I always come back to Reaper, for reasons we've all pointed out.

And this is a great forum with regards to getting help from other users. And that means a lot.