Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
dusura123
Human being with feelings

Default How to play pre-roll for every take in time selection auto punch mode

Hi,

I want to have reaper play a pre-roll for each take in time selection auto-punch recording mode. It only plays the pre-roll for the first take. I want to do multiple takes and hear a pre-roll for each to prepare myself for the take. Then when I do a good take I'll stop recording.

How is this done?

Thanks in advance
dusura123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
foxAsteria

there is an option to un-link time selection from loop. then make the loop longer than the time selection. preroll only works at the start of recording.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-10-2014 at 09:31 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
dusura123

Played around for a bit. This is what works for me, maybe someone else might find this useful:

- set recording to "Autopunch Time Selection" and toggle playback to Repeat mode
- create a new track, select the current input, arm it, unarm any others and create a time selection for the part you want to re-record plus add extra time at the beginning for the "pre-roll" you want to hear before each take
- split the track you want to partially re-record so that the bit you want to re-record is in its own item (click on the start and end points and hit "S"), now mute the item you want to re-record by right-clicking on it, Item Settings -> Mute
- start recording by clicking somewhere before the time selection and hitting record

Once you have a take you like, split it to the original item size, removing the pre-roll bit. Then copy it to the original track by selecting and using Num pad 8/Num pad 2 to move it up/down to the correct track without changing the timing.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
foxAsteria

yea sure do it the pain in the ass way, or you could just do it like i said.
"option: set loop points linked to time selection"
in case it wasnt clear enough, the idea is that you loop a phrase longer than the time selection, so you get a "pre-roll" for each repeat, aka what you asked for in your op. even in that recording mode though a wav gets created from the cursor so you dont have to worry about the TS cutting off the beginning or end.
have fun!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-13-2014 at 03:50 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #5
dusura123

Getting back into recording after a long break. A belated thanks for your tip. It works great!