Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Lee Flier
Human being with feelings

Default Allen & Heath ZED R16 + Reaper - who's doing this?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a A&H ZED R16 and it's a fantastic board. Really flexible and sounds amazing. And it seems to work great with Reaper so far - the MIDI transport and fader controls worked immediately, signal flow options are just awesome, etc.

However, I've run into a few frustrations, being new to this setup, and I thought perhaps some of you folks who've been using this rig for awhile could help speed up the learning curve.

The main problem I'm encountering is that the hardware output sends from Reaper are confusing to me if I'm sending each track out to the R16 to do an analog mix. It doesn't seem that there are any true mono outs - each output appears twice (with the same name) as "ZED R16 CH 3/4" for example. Even stranger, channel 1/2 only appears once while the rest appear twice. I seem to frequently end up routing two tracks to the same channel. Then once I get it straightened out with panning, it doesn't always seem to "stick" that way - I'll open the project again and I have the same problem. It doesn't seem to be consistently right or wrong, either. I don't doubt I'm missing something in the routing sequence, so perhaps you have some ideas... and no doubt I also have some artifacts hanging around from having tried so many different things.

How can I get a consistent and efficient workflow as far as routing my tracks out to individual analog channels on the R16? And how can I alias the input and output names so they're accurate and less confusing? I don't really understand what the double listings mean so it would be pointless to try to alias them at this point.

Also, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to use one channel as the input for a track and another for the output. I could add a new track, using say channel 1 as the input, but when I tried to send the output from that track to say channel 5 on the board, nothing happened. I had to keep unplugging the mic from one channel and move it to the next to get it to work, which doesn't seem right.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those are the two biggest head scratchers for me right now! Killer board, though. I can tell I'll love it once I've had a chance to get more familiar with it.
Lee Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Ed Zeppeli

I wish I had one to be able to help!

Good luck,

Warren
Ed Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
bbgunn

Sorry Lee, I don't have answers for your problem but I thought I'd jump on here to ask a few questions of my own. I am thinking about selling my Alesis Master Control and purchasing one of these ZED R16's as well. I really miss having eq's at my fingertips.

It appears to me the negatives of this unit are 1) no track solo buttons (would have to do that from Reaper with the mouse I suppose) 2) no track record enable buttons (again - use mouse), and 3) no motorized faders - although I seriously think they are over-rated anyway.

So I'm guessing the workflow is to record with the faders in audio mode utilizing the eq's and all the standard features of the mixer, setting up your audio channels in Reaper the same way you would with any firewire audio device. That seems fairly straightforward.

Then during mixdown you change the faders to midi mode so you are controlling Reapers faders, right? I'm a little bit confused what happens audio-wise at this point. Are the eq's still active? Or is this now functioning strictly as a control surface? I think I would still want to use Reaper's rendering functionality, along with automation and vst instruments and effects as I normally would do. I have no outboard effects or hardware.

During overdubs I would assume the faders for the already recorded tracks would be in midi mode and the track you are recording/overdubbing the faders would be in audio mode? Or am I getting this all wrong?

Sorry if I'm over-simplifying this but I'm trying to get an idea of the change in workflow I'm going to have to go through if I decide to shell out the money for one of these units.

Thanks in advance for any feedback from anyone who would care to comment...
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Robomusic

For approx the same price i like the feature set of the presonus 16 track board better, lots of toy there.
Robomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
bbgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomusic View Post
For approx the same price i like the feature set of the presonus 16 track board better, lots of toy there.
I looked at one of those as well, but it's not a control surface, no transport controls, etc... It's basically just a mixer.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
zoso2

do you have the most up to date drivers and such? If so try reinstalling them. I'm looking at getting one of these as well and would love to know it works as it should.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Lee Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Sorry Lee, I don't have answers for your problem but I thought I'd jump on here to ask a few questions of my own. I am thinking about selling my Alesis Master Control and purchasing one of these ZED R16's as well. I really miss having eq's at my fingertips.
I don't think there's any comparison at all. This board sounds seriously good!

Quote:
It appears to me the negatives of this unit are 1) no track solo buttons (would have to do that from Reaper with the mouse I suppose) 2) no track record enable buttons (again - use mouse), and 3) no motorized faders - although I seriously think they are over-rated anyway.
Personally I don't think they're over-rated at all - I love motorized faders and definitely wish it had them (read on and you'll see why). The new GS-R24 does have them, plus it's 24 channels, and I really wanted to get that one when I heard its announcement - but it's almost $10,000 with the motorized faders. Too rich for my blood, for the time being.

Quote:
So I'm guessing the workflow is to record with the faders in audio mode utilizing the eq's and all the standard features of the mixer, setting up your audio channels in Reaper the same way you would with any firewire audio device. That seems fairly straightforward.
Yup.

Quote:
Then during mixdown you change the faders to midi mode so you are controlling Reapers faders, right? I'm a little bit confused what happens audio-wise at this point. Are the eq's still active? Or is this now functioning strictly as a control surface? I think I would still want to use Reaper's rendering functionality, along with automation and vst instruments and effects as I normally would do. I have no outboard effects or hardware.
Well, that's exactly what's so awesome about this board: you can configure each fader, quite literally, to do anything you want. You can use it strictly as a control surface if you want to, using the faders in MIDI mode. But you can also send the outputs from Reaper back into the board and do a fully analog mixdown, using the console's EQ, panning, summing, levels and so forth. Or you can even tap into JUST the EQ, using it as a "plugin" in your otherwise digital signal. You can also bypass the inserts and EQ and just use the console for analog summing. And you can do any of this on a *per fader* basis.

Even if you are mixing analog, you can still use plugins, automation etc. in Reaper since you can send each channel out to the board "post-fader" from Reaper.

I assumed that I would mostly be using the board in MIDI mode during mixing, perhaps occasionally patching in the EQ or maybe doing a final sum to analog after everything else had been done in Reaper. But, I have to tell you... I did some direct comparisons between the various scenarios, and the difference between using the board for summing, pans and fades (keeping all the tracks at 0 in Reaper) is not subtle. I've heard the difference on large frame consoles but I assumed it would not be so dramatic on a small inexpensive board like this one. But - it is. I would say that at this point I will want to mix analog in 90% of cases, still using some plugins (e.g. compressors) in Reaper before output.

Thus, I'm kinda bummed now that I don't have moving faders, because I'll be back to mixing old-skool with no automation in a lot of cases. But that's OK.

Quote:
During overdubs I would assume the faders for the already recorded tracks would be in midi mode and the track you are recording/overdubbing the faders would be in audio mode? Or am I getting this all wrong?
As I said, you CAN do it that way, yes. Or you can send the recorded tracks back out to console channels and have them all be in audio mode.

You can also just send your master fader from Reaper out to a couple of channels while you're overdubbing, so you have a minimum of fuss with the console. That would be more like using any other recording interface, I guess, using Reaper to do everything except you're using the console's channels for audio going in, plus its master section for monitoring and transport controls.

Quote:
Sorry if I'm over-simplifying this but I'm trying to get an idea of the change in workflow I'm going to have to go through if I decide to shell out the money for one of these units.
Hopefully this has made clear that can go through as little change or as much as you want. It's pretty crazy how flexible this thing is. Personally, I'm obviously opting for some pretty radical changes in workflow (vs. mixing "in the box" in Reaper), but I came up in the analog era anyway so I'm just as much used to mixing on a console, and as I say I'm pretty thrilled with the sound when mixing in that mode, enough that it's worth some pain.

I also picked up a Lexicon MX400 reverb/delay unit. I'd been wanting to get an outboard box for awhile, and if I'm going to be doing all this analog mixing, it seemed like the thing to do. Plus you can actually use it as a VST plugin if you're mixing in Reaper - saves CPU resources and IMO outboard sounds better than most reverb plugs... although lots of folks have good success with the UAD stuff.

BUT... I also did a session where I did use a reverb and a delay plug, and sent their outputs out to the A&H as well as all the other tracks. So it was an analog mix but used the reverb plugs. And I have to say that sounded great too! Doing the analog mixdown, in other words, even improved the sound of the plugs.

As an added bonus, you can use this board for live mixing. My band does live Internet broadcasts so it's perfect for us for that.

Anyhow... I hope this was helpful and would be happy to answer any other questions.

Last edited by Lee Flier; 05-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
bbgunn

Thanks Lee! That was extremely informative. Looks like the pros outweigh the cons and it may solve some issues for me, particularly the hardware EQ's.

Did you ever get your track audio configuration problem ironed out?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
bbgunn

Ok, you talked me into it. Ordered the Allen and Heath Zed R16 today. Should be getting it next week...

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Ed Zeppeli

Quote:
Ok, you talked me into it. Ordered the Allen and Heath Zed R16 today. Should be getting it next week...

Thanks for the help!
Enjoy it brah and make sure you post your experience here.

Good luck,

Warren
Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
clerks

Hello,
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think there's any comparison at all. This board sounds seriously good!
Quote:
Quote:
Personally I don't think they're over-rated at all - I love motorized faders and definitely wish it had them (read on and you'll see why). The new GS-R24 does have them, plus it's 24 channels, and I really wanted to get that one when I heard its announcement - but it's almost $10,000 with the motorized faders. Too rich for my blood, for the time being.
Quote:
Quote:
Yup.
Quote:
Quote:
Well, that's exactly what's so awesome about this board: you can configure each fader, quite literally, to do anything you want. You can use it strictly as a control surface if you want to, using the faders in MIDI mode. But you can also send the outputs from Reaper back into the board and do a fully analog mixdown, using the console's EQ, panning, summing, levels and so forth. Or you can even tap into JUST the EQ, using it as a "plugin" in your otherwise digital signal. You can also bypass the inserts and EQ and just use the console for analog summing. And you can do any of this on a *per fader* basis.

Even if you are mixing analog, you can still use plugins, automation etc. in Reaper since you can send each channel out to the board "post-fader" from Reaper.

I assumed that I would mostly be using the board in MIDI mode during mixing, perhaps occasionally patching in the EQ or maybe doing a final sum to analog after everything else had been done in Reaper. But, I have to tell you... I did some direct comparisons between the various scenarios, and the difference between using the board for summing, pans and fades (keeping all the tracks at 0 in Reaper) is not subtle. I've heard the difference on large frame consoles but I assumed it would not be so dramatic on a small inexpensive board like this one. But - it is. I would say that at this point I will want to mix analog in 90% of cases, still using some plugins (e.g. compressors) in Reaper before output.

Thus, I'm kinda bummed now that I don't have moving faders, because I'll be back to mixing old-skool with no automation in a lot of cases. But that's OK.
Quote:
Quote:
As I said, you CAN do it that way, yes. Or you can send the recorded tracks back out to console channels and have them all be in audio mode.

You can also just send your master fader from Reaper out to a couple of channels while you're overdubbing, so you have a minimum of fuss with the console. That would be more like using any other recording interface, I guess, using Reaper to do everything except you're using the console's channels for audio going in, plus its master section for monitoring and transport controls.
Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully this has made clear that can go through as little change or as much as you want. It's pretty crazy how flexible this thing is. Personally, I'm obviously opting for some pretty radical changes in workflow (vs. mixing "in the box" in Reaper), but I came up in the analog era anyway so I'm just as much used to mixing on a console, and as I say I'm pretty thrilled with the sound when mixing in that mode, enough that it's worth some pain.

I also picked up a Lexicon MX400 reverb/delay unit. I'd been wanting to get an outboard box for awhile, and if I'm going to be doing all this analog mixing, it seemed like the thing to do. Plus you can actually use it as a VST plugin if you're mixing in Reaper - saves CPU resources and IMO outboard sounds better than most reverb plugs... although lots of folks have good success with the UAD stuff.

BUT... I also did a session where I did use a reverb and a delay plug, and sent their outputs out to the A&H as well as all the other tracks. So it was an analog mix but used the reverb plugs. And I have to say that sounded great too! Doing the analog mixdown, in other words, even improved the sound of the plugs.

As an added bonus, you can use this board for live mixing. My band does live Internet broadcasts so it's perfect for us for that.
I totally agree with everything that is said

Before i bought my ZED-R16 I owned a fireface uc, and I thought sold it. Hopfully i didn't. I didn't trust any manufacturer about ASIO driver, except RME. So i bought an HDSPe Raydat to connect my ZED board in ADAT.

In ADAT mode, the ZED can only handle 16 input tracks, so I connect the main stereo output from the board to my Fireface Uc (XLR balanced) and my fireface is connect to my Raydat (in ADAT mode) also. So with this "system" I can use my table, with all its features in ADAT mode, with the RME driver !
So I don't have the same issue than Lee Flier, all my output from reaper are real mono

And with the RME raydat, I can set my latency to 64 buffers, whatever the size of my projects, and I even tried 32, it works, but for security reasons, and because I can not hear the difference, I stay in 64 buffers.

This system is a "rock", and the sound of this table is so good. Each time i start it, it's a dream. I know it's expensive, but less than a GS-24M... A raydat card is about 550$.
clerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Lee Flier

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Awesome! Would love to hear about your experiences. Keep us posted!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Lee Flier

Quote:
Did you ever get your track audio configuration problem ironed out?
Oh, yeah, I did. The I/O names as they appear in the driver are just confusing, but once I realized what they really meant I just aliased them to something less confusing and then everything made sense.

Last edited by Lee Flier; 05-16-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Lee Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomusic View Post
Totally apples and oranges. The A&H is an analog board.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
bbgunn

OK, the new Zed R16 has arrived. I am getting the audio part of this down ok. I was able to rename the channels so I could understand the routing a little better. I can playback previously recorded projects.

I am having considerable trouble with the transport controls and midi controls, though - the part that I thought was going to be easy.

I was able to get the transport controls to work in the Cakewalk Sonar LE app that was packaged with the board, so I know the R16 is communicating ok. But I can't get Reaper to connect - I must be missing something stupid.

In Reaper preferences / midi devices I have the "Allen and Heath Firewire" MIDI input set to enable+control. There is no MIDI output for the Zed R16 which has been discussed before, so nothing needs to be set there.

Under preferences / control surfaces I added a Mackie Control Universal and selected "Allen and Heath Firewire" for midi input. Again, Midi output is set to none.

Is there more to it than this? I even went so far as to try resetting the the default midi channel as explained on page 48 of the Zed R16 manual. It comes defaulted to midi channel 16, which sets the MMC Transport control message to be an "all call" or "all device ID" message. If set to transmit on Midi channels 1 to 15, the MMC Transport control message will be specific to devices set to that midi channel. I tried several, none of them worked.

Any ideas?

edit:
NEVERMIND! I tied resetting the board back to Midi channel 16 using the button combinations they describe in the R16 manual. Rebooted the board and now it is working. Phew! My brain hurts!

Last edited by bbgunn; 05-19-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #16
bbgunn

Darn! Shut the R16 down last night and now the transport control and faders are gone again! Tried the same trick I did last night and now I can't get it to work again. Oh well, I'll keep trying.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
clerks

Hi, for the transport command (MMC) just enabled in MIDI preferences ZED-R16 Input+ cc. Don't add ZED R16 as surface controle. Use the action list, find some "track adjust volume" or something like that (do a search with track it will be find) and add new CC and move the fader you want. Don't change the midi chanel let it in 16.

You could find some things here : http://www.good-audio.com/zedforum/

It works good here... Good luck

Last edited by clerks; 05-20-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
bbgunn

Thanks Clerks!
I removed the control surface and then just enabled A & H in Midi devices with control only and unchecked midi input box. That did the trick. I'll keep everyone posted about my setup as soon as I figure this all out.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #19
bbgunn

Alright Zed-heads! So far I'm liking the board. I have the audio labeled and working perfectly. I have the control surface functionality working. I have one key question - How do you guys handle stereo tracks?

The A & H is very configurable (which is nice) and there are about 5 ways you can set things up. In my case, I use a lot of Native Instruments plugins - primarily Kontakt and Guitar Rig. Obviously these plugins are stereo output being controlled by a single track fader. So, for example, lets say I create track one as a midi track feeding into Kontakt playing the Abbey Road 60's drum kit. This track is set to send to Zed 1 (left) and Zed 2 (right). On the Zed, channels 1 and 2 I select "Dig Return Pre-ins" (so I can use the EQ if I want) and "Fader=Midi" so I can control Reaper's faders in case I need to do automation. This makes fader one on the Zed control track 1 in reaper, but uses both channel 1 and 2 on the board, which means fader 2 is unused. I then record a mono bass track using the third input on the Zed, which is now really track 2 on Reaper, and on and on and on, Guitar on track 4 and 5 which is now really track 3 on reaper - it starts to get really confusing. It would have been nicer if Zed's channel strips were stereo instead of mono, but it is what it is. Or, if you could somehow link two faders in Reaper as one track it would be less confusing and you would have separate control over left and right. On one hand, I could choose to just mix on the board old school and record the master output back to the computer during mixdown, but then I would be giving up automation and rendering features on Reaper. I could also just focus on using the board as just a control surface for Reaper during mixdown, but then I am giving up the EQ's - which is one of the main reasons I wanted this particular unit.

Anybody else doing this a different way?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
bbgunn

OK , I think I've found a workaround that works best for me. In my last example with track 1 being a midi track fed to kontakt drums, I found that I could create another blank track 2 and then send the signal from track 1 to track 2, then pan track 1 left and track 2 right. This gives me two faders and two EQ's for one track. The good thing about this setup is that I can still edit notes and change kits on one track. I'm going to play with it a little more, but when I nail this down I think I'll just create a custom template for my most commonly used track configurations.

Track 1 I set up like this:
[img]http://img219.**************/img219/4078/track1y.jpg[/img]

Track 2 like this:
[img]http://img62.**************/img62/7180/track2s.jpg[/img]

Tracks look like this:
[img]http://img848.**************/img848/4499/tracks.jpg[/img]
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #21
bbgunn

This is a great mixer by the way...
I have finally got it mapped out with a workflow that works for me.
I am going to try to put together a template along with some instructions on how to get everything working and post it in the resources section for people who go this route in the future...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
Lee Flier

Hey, sorry I've been AWOL from this thread - I've been very busy making records with Reaper and the ZED R16!

It really is a great board and, once I got into a good workflow, it has made sessions super easy and sounds awesome.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #23
bbgunn

I added a template and installation instructions to make the Allen and Heath Zed R16 work with Reaper at Reaper resources. https://stash.reaper.fm/index.php Just type in "zed" in the search box. Hopefully this will help out future owners of this product.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
Ed Zeppeli

bbgunn, thanks for all your work on this and for sharing.

I don't have a zed (yet?) but it's great to see even more resources added to the site.

Cheers,

Warren
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #25
Lee Flier

Very nice! When I have a little more time, I'll share a few more methods that have worked well for me. But your docs ought to be very helpful for new folks. And I'm very glad you stressed the part about renaming the inputs and outputs.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #26
Lee Flier

On the subject of stereo tracks - I haven't been using FADER=MIDI except on an as-needed basis. I don't do any automation until the last step of mixing, at which point I change the routing around anyway. I have found that the closer you can get to leaving Reaper's faders at 0 and getting your basic levels on the ZED, the better. So I get my basic balance, and then if I need to do any automation from there, I enable FADER=MIDI on whichever channels specifically need it.

During overdubs, I often just monitor via the digital master fader, and don't send any audio out to the individual channels until mixdown. At mixdown, I buss tracks that make sense out to stereo pairs on the board - e.g. send all the backing vocals to 2 tracks, all the percussion to 2 tracks, etc.

This seems to be the simplest and most uncluttered way to work, for me.

Last edited by Lee Flier; 06-03-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #27
Lee Flier

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this bbgunn, but fellow Reaperite and ZED owner captain caveman has created a plugin for keeping track of your settings on the ZED, as well as other popular hardware.

http://www.jof.org.uk/

Cheap and work great!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
bbgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Flier View Post
Also, I don't know if you're aware of this bbgunn, but fellow Reaperite and ZED owner captain caveman has created a plugin for keeping track of your settings on the ZED, as well as other popular hardware.

http://www.jof.org.uk/

Cheap and work great!
Cool! I'll check it out.

and yeah, I've been playing with different workflow models using this mixer. It's great that it has so many options! I may do some more tweaking as time goes by.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #29
TexaCali

Default any updates?

After an extensive internet research marathon, I have ordered a Zed-R16. Should have it in about a week.

Can anyone recommend a Firwire PCIe card for use with this board? I didn't see any listed by A&H.

And if anyone has updated tips or workflows for using this board with Reaper, please speak up. This is going to be a great update from my old Mackie board and 8ch interface.

Cheers!
TexaCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #30
Jeronimo

I'm about to buy a ZED R16, used.
I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #31
Jeronimo

Just got the board...
Audio side working perfectly!
Transport side working perfectly! Already mapped some actions to the buttons on the ZED.
So far so good!
Thanks guys!

Last edited by Jeronimo; 12-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #32
clerks

Hi, Jeronimo,
take a look on my post above #17... just add before move your fader don't forget to enable Midi fr on your fader (little button on left side of the fader).
So everything is in the Action List in fact. To find the right action use the filter and the word "track"...
Good Luck

Edit :sory i answered to your initial Msg, it seem that you already find out how to configurate your fader, didn't make attention that you edit your msg.

Last edited by clerks; 12-14-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #33
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerks View Post
Hi, Jeronimo,
take a look on my post above #17... just add before move your fader don't forget to enable Midi fr on your fader (little button on left side of the fader).
So everything is in the Action List in fact. To find the right action use the filter and the word "track"...
Good Luck

Edit :sory i answered to your initial Msg, it seem that you already find out how to configurate your fader, didn't make attention that you edit your msg.
Yeah, no problem clerks, thanks for your answer!
One question to you ZED/Reaper users. When using the MIDI faders (the black ones) how "acurate" is the resolution while writing automation?
I mean, here, they only write if I move'em "fast" or a "long" distance... did I make myself clear? It's like they don't "read" small slow moves...
Anyone experienced this issue? I haven't tried this on the white faders yet...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #34
Jeronimo

The white faders are a little better but to me, if my unit is fine, they SUCK really bad...
Can't wait to have my Alphatrack back from repair...