Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #41
bennisixx
Human being with feelings

must be online to use demo....get out of here.... my main computer doesn't touch the internet...oh well
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #42
anyuta
Banned

someone call my mom and tell her what I've been up to

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 11-09-2010 at 01:55 AM.
anyuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #43
chrisharbin

haha! Well, reaper actually helped exorcise my demons so they ought to be giving thanks
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
Third Son

Default Ok OK BPM question

I have a question that has Reaper Ableton Live 6. I make a song in Reaper at 100 bpm and then want to open the rendered wav file in Ableton. I set the bpm to 100 bpm but the song is way too fast....what do i do?

I want to use Reaper for the majority of the production but there are some slick instruments in Ableton I also want to use....
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #45
fogpeople

Well, Live is Live for a reason. It's had a unique model no one else has been able to fully copy. SONAR has a Matrix View but it's integration is, well, it's 7 versions behind Live for starters.

But Live is also a highly visual and interface-driven environment. Reaper's is, well, kind of the opposite. But heck yeah, anyone wants to be inspired by their rapid creation workflow will not be ill-served.
fogpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #46
Third Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Son View Post
I have a question that has Reaper Ableton Live 6. I make a song in Reaper at 100 bpm and then want to open the rendered wav file in Ableton. I set the bpm to 100 bpm but the song is way too fast....what do i do?

I want to use Reaper for the majority of the production but there are some slick instruments in Ableton I also want to use....
Got it....warp factor.....
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #47
adekoyote

Default Issues with ableton.

The reason I am about to try out Reaper is very simple. Ableton loves software centric midi and midi timing. When I was starting out I loved Ableton.

Ableton reads mid1 files but forces you to export mid0

syncing hardware to ableton is a nightmare. even if ableton is the master, it seems to take the life out of the hardware.

if you make ableton the slave then bpm fluctuates to rhythmically obscene levels.

I have an Roland MC808, a Yamaha rs7000, and an emu proteus 2500 command station. and Ableton is only cool when I send notes directly to the mc808(like a rackmount synth)

I tried exporting smf from the mc808...and this is what led me to look into alternatives.

I really hope that Reaper can give me this...mainly because I want to sequencer on midi on the reaper and then export the mid1 file back to the mc808. This would really help to maximize the playability of the MC808...but the timing has to be solid. The software has to look forward to being friendly with hardware.

I currently believe that ableton is SO popular with software centric midi users that the priority level to fix this egregious situation is quite low.

I will put Reaper through the paces, though.

If reaper does mid1 file handling well I will definitely invest.

by handling well I mean:

import mid0 into and existing project from Ableton(I don't care about rewire) I just want the notes in the right place for each track/part...That way I can work on snippets/variations in Ableton and then import into Reaper.

The idea is that I want to built super structured 16 track pattern for the MC808.

Anyhow I guess I will try Reaper and let you all know my findings.
adekoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #48
John Allsup

Default Making Live-like jam facilities

The thought has occurred to me that, while the main Reaper devs probably have plenty to be doing already, to implement a Live style jam interface, what is needed for a quick and dirty implementation is the following:

A simple 'player' plugin for a track which plays a region, whether audio or midi (or quite possibly both, since then control signals could be listened to by things further down the effects chain)

A new 'jammer' window (as an extension, using the SDK), which gives the 'spreadsheet' layout of the Live jam view. This then sends control signals to the 'player' plugins.

Then there needs to be place to put the 'jam' regions (off the normal arrange page, but otherwise little different than a standard Reaper track so far as being a container is concerned, most likely if the Cockos devs were to do this there would be a large amount of code sharing, likely building the 'player' into the track itself. (Essentially a track in reaper is a playlist of regions, and a region either plays audio, or midi, and that gets sent into the effect chain. All we need different is that the track plays regions when triggered by a message, rather than being triggered by the playhead reaching a certain point. -- This ignores the behaviour when play starts in the middle of a region, but essentially this is a matter of triggering the region upon start of play, but at an offset into it.)

My thought is that most of the 'hard work' stuff is already done in Reaper.

I'm new to the Reaper SDK, and am new to VC++ (having just installed the community edition, basically never used it before). As yet, I can't get the SWS extensions to build, and am not in a position to sit down and figure out what to do with it.