Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
gregerlindberg
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 64 bit + Waves plugins

Installed Windows 7 64 bit on my new computor. When i open uper Reaper 64 and the SSL plugins its not the SSL gui. Its the rea plugins GUI in it instead. Kind of different when u learned to tweak it as it normally look.
My question, is it suppose to be like this? can i get it to look the way it is suppose to do? Or is it due to that it originally is a 32bit plugin running in a 64bit OS?
gregerlindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
ThePulse

Has nothing to do with the OS. It's that you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper and the x86 (32-bit) bridge can't account for all of the coding of the 32-bit plug-ins in that x64 environment.

Everything shows up fine in the x86 version of Reaper...even on a x64 OS.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
gregerlindberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePulse View Post
Has nothing to do with the OS. It's that you're using the 64-bit version of Reaper and the x86 (32-bit) bridge can't account for all of the coding of the 32-bit plug-ins in that x64 environment.

Everything shows up fine in the x86 version of Reaper...even on a x64 OS.
So is it possible to use the 32 bit Reaper in 64bit OS and it will work or will it not run? So i can get the Gui?
Thank you for the answer. =)
/Greger
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Edwood

Yep, I'm Running Reaper 32 on a 64 bit system. Only way I can get Addictive Drums to show, Ed
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
gregerlindberg

Then some more dumb questions.
If 32 bit work on a 64 bit OS.
What are the advantages of running a reaper 64, instead if reaper 32?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
ThePulse

The advantage of Reaper x64 over Reaper x86 is that it's able to use more memory the x86 version. Where as the x86 might top off at 2.5-3GB of RAM, the x64 version (like anything x64) is able to use loads of RAM.

Truthfully though, you will ONLY see this performance gain if you use a MASSIVE AMOUNT of synths, or a MASSIVE AMOUNT of audio tracks. The largest Reaper x86 project Ive had was 74 audio tracks large, 3 NI synths strong, and 30-40 VST's solid...and I still had no problem with stability.

So there is no actual reason why you should have to go to x64 YET (assuming that you don't make massive productions, that is). And until some of the more important VST's (::cough:: Waves!!!) work flawlessly in a x64 DAW...I'll be sticking with Reaper x86.

On a sidebar...why the hell hasn't Waves made 64-bit compatible plug-ins yet? A lot of companies are doing it. Hell even iZotope has done it with their FAMOUS line of mastering plug-ins. When you install them, they install an x86 version and an x64 version. Get on the ball vendors.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
vassago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
Then some more dumb questions.
If 32 bit work on a 64 bit OS.
What are the advantages of running a reaper 64, instead if reaper 32?
Absolutely none except if you make monster projects that require a massive amount of RAM.

In fact in many case it might even be slower than the 32bits versions unless the software is specifically written for 64 bits. The only softwares I know that are written like that are computational software like Matlab/Mathematica/Maple/Stata/etc...

And VST wise your choice will be limited and bridging 32bits VSTs to 64bits host has always been less than satisfactory for me in terms of performance and stability.

CPU wise it is virtually the same as the 64bits version, at least that is what I am seeing on my machine, a core2duo T8600 (yes it's a laptop!).
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
jolanband

Default Cubase 5 - Waves problems

Hey guys

If you have problems with Waves Millenium bundle not being picked up by Cubase 5 ( ie. receiving error - "Please reinstall Waves plug-ins in order to use Waveshell" )....

Go to your system where you installed the Waves folder - c:/programfiles/waves

Open the Millenium Read me file - it lists the name of every plug in dll that was installed into that same Waves folder.

Create a folder called waves on your desktop and COPY everyone of those dll files into it (about 90)

Then MOVE that folder into c:/programfiles/steinberg/cubase5/vstplugins

Open Cubase 5 ( ignore any error msgs) and refresh your plug in information from the drop down tool bar

All the waves plug ins should appear

This worked for me on Windows 7 64 bit with Cubase 5

Good luck!
jolanband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
tommydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanband View Post
Hey guys

If you have problems with Waves Millenium bundle not being picked up by Cubase 5 ( ie. receiving error - "Please reinstall Waves plug-ins in order to use Waveshell" )....

Go to your system where you installed the Waves folder - c:/programfiles/waves

Open the Millenium Read me file - it lists the name of every plug in dll that was installed into that same Waves folder.

Create a folder called waves on your desktop and COPY everyone of those dll files into it (about 90)

Then MOVE that folder into c:/programfiles/steinberg/cubase5/vstplugins

Open Cubase 5 ( ignore any error msgs) and refresh your plug in information from the drop down tool bar

All the waves plug ins should appear

This worked for me on Windows 7 64 bit with Cubase 5

Good luck!
Hi, jolanband!

Do you mean 32-bit or 64-bit version of Cubase 5? I have a problem specifically with 64-bit version (5.5.0) and seem not to be able to get Waves (NOT Millennium but Mercury Bundle) to work on it and on my Win 7 64-bit. And it actually does not prompt me to re-install anything. Cubase does thou seem to "scan" the Waves' plug-ins when starting up, but the whole Waves-folder is completely missing from the Plugings sub-folder under Audio..

Do you have any ideas? My e-mail is tommydee (at) welho dot com. I would so much appreciate the info!! Thanks in advance dude

-Tommy
tommydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
mushroomagical

Default Waves Mercury Bundle and Reaper

I got all my Waves plugins to work with Reaper (32 bit) running on a Windows 7 64 bit system. With Reaper 64x, some of the waves plugins worked, but not all.
mushroomagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Anaon

Hello!

I received my new computer with Windows 7 64 bits and there's 6 go of ram.

I'm a bit lost about which version of Reaper to use. Actually, I installed the regular version but what do I miss with this version?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
lxm

All you need to do is use the shell-to-vst and you are golden.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote