Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
mhetrick
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 Rendering Bug in 5.24/25 (FIXED)

I run a small plug-in company called Unfiltered Audio. We've encountered a problem with VST3 rendering starting with the 5.24 update. Since the 5.24 update, our plug-ins load with the top half sliced off. As a workaround, toggling the UI pane sometimes fixes the problem, but not for all users.

We're using JUCE, along with JUCE's OpenGLContext for rendering our plug-in windows. We would be happy to send you NFRs for testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2016-09-23 09.40.49 copy.jpg (52.4 KB, 387 views)
mhetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
MRMJP

FWIW, Unfilled plugins have VST3 GUI issues in WaveLab too.

It's hard to say if the fix should be done in the plugin or if somehow the DAWs are the cause, but maybe you could post on the WaveLab forum as well?

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=244

I reported this to Andre from the Plugin Alliance beta team (I do beta testing for both WaveLab and PA).

Thanks,
Justin
Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
mhetrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
FWIW, Unfilled plugins have VST3 GUI issues in WaveLab too.

It's hard to say if the fix should be done in the plugin or if somehow the DAWs are the cause, but maybe you could post on the WaveLab forum as well?

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=244

I reported this to Andre from the Plugin Alliance beta team (I do beta testing for both WaveLab and PA).

Thanks,
Justin
Hi Justin,

Thanks for helping us test our plug-ins!

From what I can tell, the Wavelab issue may be separate. The GUIs are not appearing at all in Wavelab, where Reaper cuts off the top half.

We've done a few tests with trying to get Reaper working again, including completely removing OpenGL rendering from our plug-ins. Nothing so far.

The major oddity in Reaper is that loading a VST2 version of our plug-ins *first* results in the graphics bug not happening when a VST3 version is loaded. Since this behavior first appeared in Reaper 5.24 (" + VST: improve resize and UI behavior with various VST3 plug-ins (including MeldaProduction and Melodyne) [t=180334]"), this leads me to believe that it may possibly be a Reaper conflict.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Edit: duplicated with Fault (though G8 worked, so if one of your plug-in works and the other doesn't, hmm -- btw the cause seems to be the handling of onSize() with values that you are not expecting).

Fixed in 5.26pre5, hopefully it won't break other plug-ins.

Last edited by Justin; 09-28-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
mhetrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Edit: duplicated with Fault (though G8 worked, so if one of your plug-in works and the other doesn't, hmm -- btw the cause seems to be the handling of onSize() with values that you are not expecting).

Fixed in 5.26pre5, hopefully it won't break other plug-ins.
Great, thank you!

G8 and Sandman don't use the same graphics calls as Fault, Dent, and Indent. I should have mentioned that. It's definitely something to do with our new resizing code not playing nice with Reaper.

What sort of values are causing the failure in onSize()?