Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v5.40pre6 - March 2 2017

v5.40pre6 - March 2 2017
+ ASIO: improve cleanup after initialization error
+ Media explorer: fix folder icon display error on macOS 10.10
+ macOS: fix slider zero-line colors read from theme [t=188770]
# Automation items: add options to loop new automation items by default, baseline/amp edits affect all pooled copies (options only editable via action for now, no UI)
# Automation items: double-click opens properties dialog
# Automation items: internal changes to how edits are merged and propagated to pools
# Automation items: prevent pasting automation items into per-take envelopes
# spectrogram: do not display rebuild peaks message when drawing folder/envlane peaks
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Fergler

Just played around with Spectrogram. I used Schwa's plugin which I assume this came from, and am loving having this in native!

I think there should be a button to be enabled here that turns spectrogram on/off for the item.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
# Automation items: prevent pasting automation items into per-take envelopes
Do we really need AI's on take fx envelopes? Reaper doesn't allow to move it, edit its points etc.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
AI's points at loop points are almost invisible.

It would be great to have it like on Take FX envelopes.
This horrible thing is still here.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
RobU

AI name changes on glue; First time to '1', second time to '2', third time back to '1' again...

Alt-left-dragging a looped parametric curve in an AI and then glueing causes additional points to be inserted. Repeated slipping and glueing of the curve causes more points to be inserted and parts of the curve to be squared off slightly

AI names: Some lower case letters are still cut off; j, y, g

I'm not sure I understand the units that the Start offset value uses. Can anyone explain ?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Do we really need AI's on take fx envelopes
No.

Quote:
This horrible thing is still here.
Fixing, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobU View Post
AI name changes on glue; First time to '1', second time to '2', third time back to '1' again...
Fixing, thanks.

Quote:
Alt-left-dragging a looped parametric curve in an AI and then glueing causes additional points to be inserted.
That's necessary. If a cropped or slip-edited automation item has a curved envelope segment at the start or end, that curve is defined by points that are outside the bounds of the item. If you glue it, points outside the bounds of the item are discarded, so the curve is rendered. It's the same thing that happens if you have a media item edge in the middle of a curved envelope segment, and move the media item with the option enabled to move envelope points with media items.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the units that the Start offset value uses. Can anyone explain ?
The unit is seconds, but before the automation item rate adjustment, if any. It should be just the same as the media item offset value.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
RobU

Thanks for the fixes!

Quote:
Alt-left-dragging a looped parametric curve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That's necessary [...]
Understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The unit is seconds, but before the automation item rate adjustment, if any. It should be just the same as the media item offset value.
Unless your at an easy to convert tempo (like 120) I find the combination of Time offset vs Beats frequency is a little complicated to work out (if that makes sense, and I'm not missing something obvious...)

In an earlier pre, I requested a 'Phase' slider in degrees for offsetting the lfo - to me it makes a little more sense and is time/beats agnostic. Is that possible?

If not, could the Start offset value be set to work in the same units that are used for Position and Length using the time/beats radio buttons?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #8
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Just played around with Spectrogram. I used Schwa's plugin which I assume this came from, and am loving having this in native!

I think there should be a button to be enabled here that turns spectrogram on/off for the item.

Another Spectro user

If that's in "Media item buttons", I agree.

I certainly would like the option to at least turn the parameter knobs off in normal peak mode, while still indicating that the item contains them. Presence of an "[SE]" item button for spectral edits would be fantastic, the colour indicating their existence (similar to item FX) and clicking it either swapping to spectrogram peaks or at least making hidden SEs visible or activating their parameter knobs.

I make the take FX button visible on items whether FX are being used or not -I can see at a glance if an item contains them (green vs grey), and I can add them just by clicking that item button (take envelopes, too). The same Prefs options would be great for spectral edits, along with an option to toggle visibility in normal peak mode.

>
Old 03-03-2017, 02:31 AM   #9
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Another Spectro user

Presence of an "[SE]" item button for spectral edits would be fantastic, the colour indicating their existence (similar to item FX) and clicking it either swapping to spectrogram peaks or at least making hidden SEs visible or activating their parameter knobs.

I make the take FX button visible on items whether FX are being used or not -I can see at a glance if an item contains them (green vs grey), and I can add them just by clicking that item button (take envelopes, too). The same Prefs options would be great for spectral edits, along with an option to toggle visibility in normal peak mode.

>
++1

yesss
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 AM   #10
Embass

AI Bug: https://goo.gl/OJhm2b
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #11
Embass

AI BUG? Split resets baseline/amplitude.. https://goo.gl/mxL5Mb
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:27 AM   #12
heda

Thanks devs!
1) double click Automation item. now properties window appears and we can type a name since the name is already focused, but it would be nice also if we type the name and pressing ENTER can close the window the window instead of Esc key. To me, Esc is more like a "Cancel" button restoring properties as they were before opening the window. And Enter is like a OK button.

2) now, having the automation items not looping by default, when I extend the length, I cannot insert points in the new extended area unless I glue the item first. Is that for some reason?

3) these little "chamfers" to indicate the loops, maybe they can also be in the label area of the AI. This way I think the loops would be more visible.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:07 AM   #13
casrya

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
3) these little "chamfers" to indicate the loops, maybe they can also be in the label area of the AI. This way I think the loops would be more visible.
I also noticed that it still adds the loop marker when extending even when looping is off (unless you collect points .. although it looks like maybe the collect operation is just implicitly doing a glue at the end?)

EDIT: Actually this is consistent with extending an audio item past its source length where you get the chamfer/notch as well. I guess I was thinking of automation items as more analogous to midi items which don't have this behaviour.

Also it would be handy to have an option for pooled items to resize/stretch/loop together or alternatively an action to select all items in pool so that such operations can be applied to the selected items.

Anyway, seems to coming along well so please keep up the good work Cockos team

Last edited by casrya; 03-03-2017 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add extra detail
casrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #14
Argitoth

C: double GetSetAutomationItemInfo(TrackEnvelope* env, int autoitem_idx, const char* desc, double value, bool is_set)

how do you know if you've run out of indexes? In other words, how do you know how many automation items are there?