Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
inertia
Human being with feelings

Default Nvidia Gtx 750 ti - suitable in audio pc?

I am on the lookout for a new card. Primarily, it's just going to sit in my audio PC since my current fan-less card is struggling. I wouldn't be against using it with a few games here and there.

My question is regarding the fan. Will I notice any noise coming from the card while doing music stuff? I can put up with a bit of fan noise if I am playing a game but not really so much when doing music.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The card i want is a reasonable price second hand (in Europe) and I don't need any fancy high powered gaming card.
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
ivansc

How is your fanless card struggling? I have a 1gb fanless and it handles everything I throw at it just fine.
Are you sure it is the gfx card and not something else, before you spend money?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:09 AM   #3
inertia

I run the dual monitors and I am having problems with the sound breaking up with multiple applications open and scrolling outside of Reaper. I think the graphics is likely to blame. One is 1080p the other is slightly more pixels than 1080p since it's a proper office monitor and not a media screen. So more pixels than usual to push around.

It doesn't handle any games at all, and I'd like to install Thief Gold with the high texture patches.

A friend has offered me the GTX 760 for the same price so I will probably buy it. He said it's very quiet when not being used at full pace.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 AM   #4
inertia

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...91#post1551891

You had some input here ^

I didn't see Serr's reply until now. Will do some more tests.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 AM   #5
viscofisy

I noticed last year that Scan UK were refusing to install Nvidia cards in their custom built DAW PCs for a few months until issues were resolved.

So maybe a good idea would be to check out which graphics cards the pro-audio PC builders are using?

Here's a link to one of ADK's configurator pages for their DAW PCs - the GTX 750 ti is listed as an option (though idk if the particular brand or version of GTX 750 ti is important? )

http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/v...m?recordid=108

(scroll down to "Display" to choose graphics card options)

Last edited by viscofisy; 07-31-2015 at 02:49 AM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:16 AM   #6
Softsynth

I have a bigger Geforce card with twin frozr oc. It works perfectly in this DAW PC. The Twin Frozr heatsink fan combo is incredibly quiet in operation.
I rebuilt the PC around quiet operation. Very pleased with this one.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:29 AM   #7
dr_After

I recommend ASUS STRIX (I have 970 model). Its' fans does not run at all if you don't play some demanding 3d game. Perfect for making music - during normal Reaper operation I have no noise from graphics card. I also have Fractal Design R5 case with replaced 140 mm case fans. My PC is almost completely silent.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 AM   #8
Reaktor:[Dave]

For normal dual screen performance around 1080p, a GTX 750 Ti should be more than enough. And it should do fine running a game from 1998, texture packs installed or not as your card probably has 2GB of vram (most of the 750 Ti have, but even 1GB should be enough).

Probably one of your "multiple applications open" is causing the audio drop outs.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 AM   #9
inertia

Thanks for the all comments.

The audio glitching only occurs when scrolling the browser in the 2nd monitor (for example) while Reaper is playing back in the first monitor. Any application with a scrollable window causes the same effect, regardless of it is uses the audio card or not.

I can live with it, it's mostly problematic when trying to tab guitar parts with Guitar Pro while running Reaper and it's a slight annoyance.

I'd welcome a better card for some occasional games though.

I can borrow the GTX 760 and test it first so I will give that a go.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 AM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
. And it should do fine running a game from 1998
I guess you meant 2008
Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #11
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia View Post
Thanks for the all comments.

I can borrow the GTX 760 and test it first so I will give that a go.

Make sure you get one with a quiet aftermarket cooler like the twin Frozr. The stock (plastic case)Nvidia cooler is much louder I understand. Thankfully not many of them around.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 AM   #12
Reaktor:[Dave]

Scrolling in Firefox raises CPU usage from 0.8% up to 4% on my machine. I'm unaware of how and why a slightly or even a considerably faster GPU chip than the 750 Ti could improve that situation. What OS are you running? If it's newer than XP, check if in the "Visual Effects Settings" dialogue you have selected "Let windows choose what's best for my computer". This should activate gpu accelerated wdm on your system (I think the exact option for that is "enable desktop composition").
What happens if this is turned off that all the work for scrolling needs to be done by the CPU and on my machine with gpu accelerated wdm deactivated, scrolling in firefox suddenly takes up to 12% cpu.

One way or the other, if you want to improve your multi task experience, I recommend you get a better CPU instead.

@Softsynth: I thought of the first game - Dark Project. But still, even that game should run fine his card.
I have an MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr and can only recommend the product range because they always have the lowest noise values across multiple hardware reviewers.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 AM   #13
MikComposer

I have MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr too. However, I also have 520 with no fan at all, and If I'd have separate workstation from gaming rig, I'd go with x20 or x30 series for workstation.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 AM   #14
David Else

750ti looks like the best bet for now BUT this looks like the replacement and is coming out in a couple of weeks (date from wikipedia, not official i think):

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...-cards-report/

It's Maxwell 2nd gen, so newer DirectX support, HDMI 2.0 (vital for 4k 60hz refresh rate on TV's) and other cool things... we will have to wait and see the reviews if it is any better.

750ti will play some of the latest games at medium settings 1080p, i have read all about it, quite a bit better than an Intel GPU 4600 built in the CPU.

The fan should switch off when not playing 3d games, providing it's all working as it should... which is never guaranteed

Your other bet is just get a new CPU and motherboard with built in GPU, this is current state of the art for GPU on a CPU:

https://t3chagent.wordpress.com/2015...-5775c-review/

that could be silent with the right cooling.

i thought i needed 100% passive/silent and was wrong! it just needs to be about ambient room noise level without annoying frequencies present and you will not hear it.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
@Softsynth: I thought of the first game - Dark Project. But still, even that game should run fine his card.
I have an MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr and can only recommend the product range because they always have the lowest noise values across multiple hardware reviewers.
Mine is the 760. I was lucky, I ordered a bog standard plastic Nvidia 760 at a cracking, knock down price (cheapest I could find on the net by a wide margin). However they didn't have any stock and uprated it to the Twin Frozr OC for free.
a few months later I started making music on my PC and appreciate the efforts to make it quieter even more. Haven't played a game since, it's going to waste really. It's ridiculous, I almost feel guilty for not playing games! I will get back to it, honest guv!

Crysis 2 & 3 and Far Cry 3 worked superbly on maximum/ultra settings, at 1080p anyway.