Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 02:02 AM   #361
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Awesome! thanks sws guys!

Will send a donation soon!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #362
Javier Robledo

I opened Reaper for start working and .... SWS UPDATE Nofitiation ¡¡¡¡

YEEEEAH¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Is Jeffo's Back ¡¡¡ ?¿?¿?¿

GREAT NEWS ¡¡¡¡
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #363
EvilDragon

Jeffos is not back, and he probably won't ever be. Tim is back.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #364
Javier Robledo

Anyway Then ¡¡¡¡

Yeeeeahhhh ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Thanks Evil ¡¡¡¡

Can you send post me his user cp ???

I have also more than 60% of SWS translated also in Spanish and would like to let him know and get in contact

Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #365
Juca

Good news! Thank you SWS Team!
Greetings.
Juca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #366
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Jeffos is not back, and he probably won't ever be. Tim is back.
I see. Great !!!!

I understand that LiveConfigs is Jeffos' baby. As I depend completely on LiveConfigs - and due to my being a C programmer since close to 100 years supposedly I am in a position to say so - and I feel that there will be not so much public interest on that issue like there is on other features of SWS, my offer stands to help maintaining LiveConfigs (I even did so by writing an extended user guide on it).

So if Tim is in charge and feels like, I am ready.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #367
EvilDragon

Yeah, you should probably get in touch with Tim in that case.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #368
javiramallo

Uhhhhhhhhh!! thanks!!!

Donate Donate Donate Donate !
javiramallo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #369
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantin.isaev View Post
Hi all,
It would be outstanding feature to measure/fix loudness of 6 channels/items in 5.1 measurment mode, and to measure 2 channels/items in stereo mode.
We can use common standart for naming tracks to check before measurment and get it work correctly
L R C Lfe Ls Rs for 5.1 separate audio tracks
and Lt Rt for 2.o separate audio.
(It can be done by measurment of parent track/folder - right now it won't work)

Usually I have to deliver 5.1 mixes as a separate stems or even 2.0 mixes as Lt Rt tracks. Of course I have to measure/fix it's loudness before delivery.
I understand that it can be done by freezing it in to 6 ch item and measured/fixed and then expanded -> rendered - it's very time consuming aproach when you work with sound track for the movie with 120mins in length...
I know exactly what you mean. I have to deliver some mixes to Netflix soon, and I'll be doing it this way:

Render 5.1 mix to one file (LRCLfeLsRs) and the LtRt to another, both 32-bit float, keeping an instance of Youleans loudness meter on screen for each mix to measure with the appropriate standard (1770-4 in this case). Create a new session and drop in those files, normalize with the data from the Youlean loudness meters and render to the required WAV with 8 channels(5.1 + LtRt).

I can't use the current loudness measurement and normalization actions on these mixes. I do use them for practically everything I do in stereo for either TV or Blueray/DVD though.

I used to measure loudness offline with a commandline tool, but that can't use different loudness standards either.

And Nugens tool to do one file at a time costs $400. It's not faster than the SWS measurement from what I could tell. It wouldn't save me any time either. Oh well. Apparently nobody can use multiple cores to do this :P .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #370
tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

So if Tim is in charge and feels like, I am ready.

-Michael

WOW -- I've been fortunate to use your LiveConfigs extended user guide - and WOW -- (understatement-alert!) -- interested to see how everything goes with LiveConfigs and all !!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #371
mschnell

- Tim did invite me to work on that topic
- we are not in a hurry
- on the long run I would like to make LiveConfigs an easy to use tool for using Reaper as a live playing tool, obsoleting other (less versatile but more easy to use) software like Cantabile, Forte, Midi Translator, ...
- LiveConfigs should be installable via ReaPack
- Integrate a patch/chain / song-Pointer tool like the "Patch" JSFXes.

-Michael
Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #372
benf

Hi Michael

I'm very interested in LiveConfigs improvement. I've tried to use it to manage my configs with my band, but it was lacking of some features. The first of it is I use two keyboards to drive two or more VSTi's, which I found impossible to do with LiveConfigs as it is.
I bought Forte and used it few months, but finally came back to Reaper because of stability problems. Anyway, my actual use is far from what could be possible, I think.
LiveConfigs should be able to :
- manage multiple MIDI devices with multiple VSTis
- offer a song selector that could be handled by a MIDI device
- notes and lyrics display

François
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #373
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
The first of it is I use two keyboards to drive two or more VSTi's, which I found impossible to do with LiveConfigs as it is.
Via LiveConfigs I use two master keyboards (one sends on two Midi channels) and a Breath controller (that provides four parameters). A decent number of program change buttons on both keyboards for patch switching, several Parameter buttons, foot controllers and "Sustain"-pedals doing funny stuff ... I use a lot of VSTis and VSTs alternative and/or at the same time. No problem here.

To allow for this I did a set of pure Midi JSFX. A new version of LiveConfigs would contain some of the functions I did by those JSFXes as a configurable default.

Quote:
I bought Forte and used it few months, but finally came back to Reaper because of stability problems.
I did test Forte (and others) but it was by far not versatile enough for my needs. I would have needed to extend it by Midi Translator. Moreover Reaper is less expensive and seemingly can additionally work as a DAW for recording and mixing And of course Reaper is extremely stable. Never had a problem using it on stage.

Quote:
LiveConfigs should be able to :
- manage multiple MIDI devices with multiple VSTis
Please read my updated User Guide for LiveConfigs -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

Quote:
- offer a song selector that could be handled by a MIDI device
Please read the User Guide for my "Patch" JSFX -> http://www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf
Midi Input for "Patch" is not yet implemented, but planned, and supposedly rather easy to do.
Quote:
- notes and lyrics display
Supposedly could be done as an extension to "Patch", but I don't have a concept for this, yet. My primary intention has been - and is - to do a system that does not need a Monitor, Mouse, PC-Keyboad (I use an "embedded" PC - rock solid, SSD, fanless - built in a trunk). So I suppose a "song / notes / lyrics) display should be a Tablet remote controlled by the audio PC. For this, the Reaper setup could issue Midi events that "somehow" are routed to the tablet.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #374
benf

Thanks a lot Mickael.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #375
dupont

Hello,

On OSX I've just installed the SWS plugin (V2.9) in the user/plugin folder but the version has not been updated in Reaper (2.8.7) ?

Found, the dragable link shown in the finder when opening the DMG is not good.

Last edited by dupont; 03-22-2017 at 12:25 PM.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #376
vitalker

Hello, Tim. Could you please add supporting of "Wait" actions for Cycle actions? Thank you.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #377
MRMJP

Because it appears that SWS is being worked on again, and because the REAPER devs haven't acknowledged this popular request, I have this question:

1) Could you look in a bug I've noted that causes some items to normalize to a very loud level when normalizing a group of items at one time? I have a custom action that among a few things, uses the SWS action to "normalize item(s) to peak RMS". Now and then as seen in the post linked below, one of the items in a group normalizes to a crazy loud level:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=38

2) Also, as noted in the main forum thread, there is a lot of interest in having an option to normalize items to a specific LUFS level as RMS is not always ideal.

Would you consider adding a script that normalizes all selected items a user defined LUFS level?

Thanks for considering.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #378
MRMJP

I don't have a reproducible case at the moment but for each new mastering project I use the Xenakios/SWS action to "Create Markers From Selected Items (name by take source file name)".

Generally it works well but often times with projects that have higher item counts (say over 17 items and higher), the markers are created in reverse numerical order.

Normally it works fine where the first item on the timeline gets marker #1 and the last marker has the highest marker number. However, occasionally it happens that the first item gets the highest marker number and the last item is #1.

I can't figure out why this would be as I have the "Create Markers From Selected Items (name by take source file name)" combined in a custom action with a few other things. I don't see any variables that would cause the issue.

Would it be possible to look into this any correct it?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #379
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Because it appears that SWS is being worked on again, and because the REAPER devs haven't acknowledged this popular request, I have this question:

1) Could you look in a bug I've noted that causes some items to normalize to a very loud level when normalizing a group of items at one time? I have a custom action that among a few things, uses the SWS action to "normalize item(s) to peak RMS". Now and then as seen in the post linked below, one of the items in a group normalizes to a crazy loud level:
What was the peak level of that item before normalizing?
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #380
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
What was the peak level of that item before normalizing?
I'd have to dig up the session again and check but it was more or less the same as all the other files which holds true every time I see this issue.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #381
EpicSounds

Quote:

2) Also, as noted in the main forum thread, there is a lot of interest in having an option to normalize items to a specific LUFS level as RMS is not always ideal.

Would you consider adding a script that normalizes all selected items a user defined LUFS level?
this exists already - SWS/BR: Normalize loudness of selected items/tracks...
Old 03-27-2017, 05:18 AM   #382
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Thanks. I see it now but I'll have to test it later today. Do you know it can be part of a custom action where I don't have to see the settings or manually enter -16 LUFS?

I have a custom action that does about 5 things to set up a project and I'd like this to be one of those things instead of the "SWS Normalize Item(s) to peak RMS" which doesn't require me to enter the desired RMS value each time. It gets it's value from another parameter window that I pretty much never change.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #383
MRMJP

Quote:
Also, I wonder if the reason I wasn't using this is because of how it works.

Does it normalize each item to the desired value or if you select 10 items, does it take the average of all 10 items and normalize that to the desired value?

I have a shortcut set up for this already so there must be a reason why I tried it but didn't end up using it. I'll have to retest this again when I get a minute between projects.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #384
citizenkeith

Quote:
I'd have to dig up the session again and check but it was more or less the same as all the other files which holds true every time I see this issue.
When I use the Xenakios/SWS: Normalize selected takes to dB value, I will often have a small item that was leftover from, say, vocal comps. It's really just background noise, but it will normalize to, as you say, a crazy ass level.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 AM   #385
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
When I use the Xenakios/SWS: Normalize selected takes to dB value, I will often have a small item that was leftover from, say, vocal comps. It's really just background noise, but it will normalize to, as you say, a crazy ass level.
Interesting. In may case, I'm dealing with stereo mixes to be mastered and they are all more or less the same level to start with, no extreme differences but there must be a bug somewhere or something else that causes one of the songs to normalize to a super loud level.

I don't think that having the background noise normalize to a drastically larger level is out of the norm because it's trying to get that background noise to be at a much higher level than it probably naturally is.

Last edited by MRMJP; 03-27-2017 at 06:35 AM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #386
lachrimae

Normalization will analyze Take/Item Properties Vol and will over-ride any adjustments made there, but it will not account for any changes you've made to the Item knob/handle.

Is this a bug? I believe so... but I can imagine that item knob/handles are intended to be post-normalization (not sure when that would be useful). This occurs with stock Reaper's Normalize Items action so it is not an SWS specific issue.

I'm guessing that your item knob/handle is > 0 before normalization, so that it's normalizing to a value above 0 (however much your knob was increased).
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #387
citizenkeith

Quote:
Interesting. In may case, I'm dealing with stereo mixes to be mastered and they are all more or less the same level to start with, no extreme differences but there must be a bug somewhere or something else that causes one of the songs to normalize to a super loud level.

I don't think that having the background noise normalize to a drastically larger level is out of the norm because it's trying to get that background noise to be at a much higher level than it probably naturally is.
No, it's not out of the norm at all... that's why I asked what those items were in your project.

I'd love a "normalize selected tracks to db value" so I can avoid that happening.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #388
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Normalization will analyze Take/Item Properties Vol and will over-ride any adjustments made there, but it will not account for any changes you've made to the Item knob/handle.

Is this a bug? I believe so... but I can imagine that item knob/handles are intended to be post-normalization (not sure when that would be useful). This occurs with stock Reaper's Normalize Items action so it is not an SWS specific issue.

I'm guessing that your item knob/handle is > 0 before normalization, so that it's normalizing to a value above 0 (however much your knob was increased).
Actually, this is happening with the item knob hands set to 0dB. It's one of the first things I do after I place the items in the desired order on the timeline.

All item gain, take gain, track faders etc. are set to 0.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #389
lachrimae

Quote:
All item gain, take gain, track faders etc. are set to 0.
Care to share a zipped project? Will try to reproduce.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #390
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Care to share a zipped project? Will try to reproduce.
Sure, I'll have to dig one up in the next day or two or revisit that one to see if it's reproducible.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #391
Macc

Hey Justin, the normalise to 0LU function works very well. I've used it for hundreds of tracks. Just define your 0LU and you never have to think about it again.

FWIW it was reading your post/s about the crazy boost bug that made me build that custom action in the first place, I assumed that was what you were using
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #392
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc View Post
Hey Justin, the normalise to 0LU function works very well. I've used it for hundreds of tracks. Just define your 0LU and you never have to think about it again.

FWIW it was reading your post/s about the crazy boost bug that made me build that custom action in the first place, I assumed that was what you were using
Thanks for the info. I will be setting up some new projects tomorrow and will try it out.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #393
MRMJP

I just installed the latest 2.9.2.0 beta build and still have the issue where the "Create markers from selected items (name by take source file name)" action sometimes numbers the markers in reverse order. This usually happens with higher item count situations over 15 items.

Normally the markers are numbered starting from number 1 and going up from there, in this case, the first marker is #18 and the markers go down from there.

Here is a screen shot of what happens:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4qm59w2fp...%20AM.png?dl=0

Here is the RPP file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iomklbflk8...pture.RPP?dl=0
Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #394
MRMJP

Quote:
I am probably not understanding this but it seems you can either normalize to -23LUFS or 0LU or to ...

Is there a way to define what ... is so you don't have to enter that value in each time? With the normalize to peak RMS action it remembers that I want to normalize to -20RMS with a window of 4 seconds and I never see that box again.

All this reminds me that what I am really looking for is something like this:

Normalize Selected Items to -XXLUFS for short term duration and not the entire item. So ideally, we would have options for momentary, short term, and long term options and ability to define a certain LUFS number that never appears again.

I tried the existing LU and LUFS options but it didn't quite work. I want to get just the loudest sections of each item to be at the same loudness to create a good starting point to master from.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #395
ovnis

Quote:
Issue 843: Fix snapshots with complicated sets of sends not being saved/replicated properly
The bug is still here. Try this with send envelope.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #396
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
...in this case, the first marker is #18 and the markers go down from there.
Got it. Thanks 100 times over for officially reporting this, it greatly increases the chance I will actually see your bug and fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
The bug is still here. Try this with send envelope.
Send envelopes aren't supported at the moment, sorry. I plan to rename snapshots to "Mixer Snapshots" to better reflect what is actually being saved: The stuff you see in the mixer view.
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #397
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Got it. Thanks 100 times over for officially reporting this, it greatly increases the chance I will actually see your bug and fix it.
No problem. I think I reported some things there when I first started using REAPER seriously but that was around the time SWS stopped being actively worked on so my reports may have gotten buried, and then I forgot about that official support portal until recently.

I'll make any serious reports there from now on.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #398
ovnis

Quote:
Send envelopes aren't supported at the moment, sorry. I plan to rename snapshots to "Mixer Snapshots" to better reflect what is actually being saved: The stuff you see in the mixer view.
The issue is that when we load a snapshot, the send evenlope disappears !

Last edited by ovnis; 03-29-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #399
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
The issue is that when we load a snapshot, the send evelope disappears !
Well now, that certainly is a problem! I know why it's doing it, and less about how to fix it...
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #400
ovnis