Old 05-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #81
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Hmmmm ... can try uninstalling 3D & Experience. These cards (560Ti, 660, 760) have remained in-place for years now with no issues. Kinda strange that i7/760 system developed the issue after recent Win Update and i5/560Ti did not.
Also... strong note ... ALL other software remains fully functional including Reaper v5.40, and other NI software___ Massive, Absynth5, Battery4, load instantly. Other VSTi as well .... Omnisphere2, u-he-Repro-1, Iris2, IvoryII, others .......
My i7/760 system hasn't experienced that issue so this is system specific issue.
Anyway Native Access just updated my Kontakt5 so check that and see if it helps too.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #82
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
My i7/760 system hasn't experienced that issue so this is system specific issue.
Anyway Native Access just updated my Kontakt5 so check that and see if it helps too.
Hmmm. Kinda strange here, as I immediately updated Kontakt5 (both DAW(s)when it appeared in Native Access. Standalone displays Version 5.6.8 (R25), but both Desktop VSTi Reaper Versions remain at 5.6.5 (R13).
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #83
Softsynth

Quote:
Hmmm. Kinda strange here, as I immediately updated Kontakt5 (both DAW(s)when it appeared in Native Access. Standalone displays Version 5.6.8 (R25), but both Desktop VSTi Reaper Versions remain at 5.6.5 (R13).
Mine is 5.6.8 (R25) in and out of Reaper.
Suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Kontakt5.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #84
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
^This is the answer. I have one with and one without the creator's update, only the newer one has custom color selection.
Just got out of hospital and fired up the Win 10 home premium box and you are right! no swatch, no slider, no nothing!

I had just assumed that since it worked in win10 pro it did on every flavour.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #85
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

Me too, I just happened to have both versions to confirm.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #86
sostenuto

Quote:
Just got out of hospital and fired up the Win 10 home premium box and you are right! no swatch, no slider, no nothing!

Best wishes for smooth recovery !! Sorry to hear of the hosp visit

Take good care.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #87
Softsynth

Quote:

Hope you have a speedy recovery Ivan.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #88
EvilDragon

Quote:

But is your W10 updated to Creators Update? If not, of course it won't be there. After you update, it will, regardless if it's Home or Pro.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #89
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
But is your W10 updated to Creators Update? If not, of course it won't be there. After you update, it will, regardless if it's Home or Pro.
Hey ED, I haven't had any updates to my Win10 since it was installed several months ago.

Can I still use/install the Creators update without any problems?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #90
EvilDragon

Sure why not.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #91
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
ED you have a lucky charm with 10... I know that and good for you so far..
But I say again... beware of it coming around someday and biting you on the butt... for no reason you can figure...
I'm not the only one who did no tweaks to it other than stuff like theme's choices and eventually [two times now] had it do the thing where the welcome screen takes an hour to clear it self... IF it does.

anyway... screw 10 back in 7, very loaded system and boot up is 30 seconds
Hopi did you pay for yours or is yours a freebe? May be they want money to leave you alone?
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #92
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Hi Sostenuto,
The only issue I have had so far is random blank screen events viewing Youtube fullscreen (FWIW onboards GPUs never did this). This could be down to the 760 GPU drivers clashing with remnants of the onboard GPU driver for all I know. I think turning off hardware acceleration cures it, but as it was random not sure yet.
This happened with Chrome, Firefox and I.E but not yet with Microsoft Edge.
Hmm..........
Old 05-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #93
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Hopi did you pay for yours or is yours a freebe? May be they want money to leave you alone?
not sure what you are asking... oh maybe IF I got the free launch of 10?

no... I bought bought both win7 pro 64 and win 10 pro...

anybody want to buy the 10 off me???
Old 05-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #94
SwampDonkey

use toggle tweaker v4.0 to convert w10xx to W10 LTSB.

Sorted.
SwampDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 AM   #95
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
not sure what you are asking... oh maybe IF I got the free launch of 10?

no... I bought bought both win7 pro 64 and win 10 pro...

anybody want to buy the 10 off me???
(grin) As usual I still have unused auths for 8, 8.1 and 10 Pro.
Sometimes doing betas pays off.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #96
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
use toggle tweaker v4.0 to convert w10xx to W10 LTSB.

Sorted.
Tell me more.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 AM   #97
BM1000

Quote:
This is not a new criticism, BUT why do many here believe this is done? Surely they are not stupid or ignorant. You do not believe this and neither do I .

What could possibly be their motive ... and what, specifically are the "unwanted and crappy features" .... MS is surely trying make their product appealing to the widest range of 'global' consumers. If we assume MS is successful, how do we define any blocks of content ... so objectionable ..... that it can be defined and removed ?

One cannot deal rationally _ with other than rational _ issues. There often seems to be an assumption that MS is behaving irrationally. I do not believe this, so am forced to try to sort their rational behavior and move forward from there ....
Why could they not be stupid or ignorant? Pretty much every human on the planet is stupid and especially ignorant, companies are no different. Of course any individual or company can act in a stupid or ignorant way, they all do it all the time.

I was not referring to MS being only stupid and ignorant however.

MS is a global corporation that seeks to profit the most they possibly can with Windows, and the best way to do that is to have monopolies on everything, be it browsers, security, or replacing Steam and other online marketplaces with their own alternatives. They make half-assed alternatives like the Windows Store, Edge and Windows Defender and try to push them on people because it is in their best financial interest, not necessarily because they are stupid or ignorant.

In the long run it might of course be wiser to embrace the diversity within the Windows eco-system and just keep their customers happy without trying to force them to change to Edge. MS is just so big that they aren't worried about losing customers just because the customers are inconvenienced by having to bypass the Edge and Windows Store recommendations, or having to manually disable the collection and sending of data to MS.
BM1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #98
michael diemer

Agree, BM1000. Microsoft is the opposite of Reaper. It is as you point out a monopoly. Monopolies are always arrogant and often unethical. Remember the railroads? Not very nice. Reaper just wants to be one of many DAWS. They don't want to rule the world, force others out of existence, then jack up the price, etc. They are living proof that a company can exist as a profit-making enterprise, and still be ethical, friendly and respectful of their consumers, even when other companies are becoming bloated, buggy, overpriced cash cows.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #99
REAmix

I am really sorry to hear that. Windows can be a real bitch sometimes for fixing problems. I think it sort of works reasonably well if you do everything exactly correctly, but it never tells you what to do.

So, you never figure out what you should have done until after the disaster.

Then you learn all that, and before the next disaster, they change windows and everything you need to do is different now.

Microsoft, in some ways, is very terrible at doing things right. They spend all their focus trying to develop strategies that will manipulate people into using their products, instead of just knowing how to make great products that people will want, and so they voluntarily go out and buy them.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #100
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
I am really sorry to hear that. Windows can be a real bitch sometimes for fixing problems. I think it sort of works reasonably well if you do everything exactly correctly, but it never tells you what to do.

So, you never figure out what you should have done until after the disaster.

Then you learn all that, and before the next disaster, they change windows and everything you need to do is different now.

Microsoft, in some ways, is very terrible at doing things right. They spend all their focus trying to develop strategies that will manipulate people into using their products, instead of just knowing how to make great products that people will want, and so they voluntarily go out and buy them.
well said... and ain't it a shame...
Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #101
ivansc

There again, having recently started using a Mac, the grass really isnt any greener over there and in termps of performance bang for buck the Mac is far more expensive for Resaper than a PC.
But the good news is that Linux audio is slowly but surely becoming a viable alternative, so maybe in the not too distant future we can all give MS and Mac BOTH the finger.
As I hace saaid before, I count myself as being one of the lucky ones that has had very few issues with Windoze (although it does seem to be a case of defensive self-education rather than luck) but on principle I am happier using an OS which isnt tied to just one group or company.

So in the meantime I run an older Mac OS with most of the bugs ironed out and keep a close eye on my various W10 and W7 installs.
Suck it up guys - there is hope for the future
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #102
Mr. PC

Ya, I'm so excited for a Linux Reaper that could use Windows VSTs (at least Kontakt).
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #103
jerome_oneil

Quote:
There again, having recently started using a Mac, the grass really isnt any greener over there and in termps of performance bang for buck the Mac is far more expensive for Resaper than a PC.
If you are comparing similarly speced hardware, Macs aren't much more than PCs.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #104
EvilDragon

Yes they are, it also depends on the part of the world you're in. Macs are ridiculously overpriced here in Croatia, that's why 98% of people are on PCs.

Take any Mac config and then compare prices of individual components, you can get the same configuration (same CPU, RAM, mobo chipset, etc. except of course not stuff made by Foxconn, naturally) for quite less. Even in the US.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #105
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Yes they are, it also depends on the part of the world you're in. Macs are ridiculously overpriced here in Croatia, that's why 98% of people are on PCs.

Take any Mac config and then compare prices of individual components, you can get the same configuration (same CPU, RAM, mobo chipset, etc.) for quite less. Even in the US.
That study has been done over and over and over again and the net result is that for similarly speced hardware. Macs aren't that much more expensive.

I just did it myself not two minutes ago. A base model Macbook (Core i5, 8Mb ram, SSD) is $1400 . Similarly speced Dell laptop is $1200. Similar HP is $1100. Similar Lenovo is $1100. You can do the same thing for their pro models as well and you'll get the same result.

Unless you count "processor in a case" as "similarly specced" the crying about the costs of Macs is simply fiction. The problem is that Apple doesn't have a low end hardware spec.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #106
EvilDragon

How about you don't look at PC brands but make your own from scratch? It WILL be cheaper than a HP or Dell etc.

(Not talking about laptops here.)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 06-01-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #107
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
That study has been done over and over and over again and the net result is that for similarly speced hardware. Macs aren't that much more expensive.

I just did it myself not two minutes ago. A base model Macbook (Core i5, 8Mb ram, SSD) is $1400 . Similarly speced Dell laptop is $1200. Similar HP is $1100. Similar Lenovo is $1100. You can do the same thing for their pro models as well and you'll get the same result.

Unless you count "processor in a case" as "similarly specced" the crying about the costs of Macs is simply fiction. The problem is that Apple doesn't have a low end hardware spec.
southwest USA. MAC Pro is $3k to $4k _ likely more for full orchestra setup on Reaper.

DAW(s) are desktop fulltime unit and there are no MAC alternatives to Pro now. Comparable PC is half or less.

Laptops and all-in-ones have not been a studio consideration.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #108
brainwreck

Quote:
How about you don't look at PC brands but make your own from scratch? It WILL be cheaper than a HP or Dell etc.

Very true for a desktop, but for a laptop we're limited to what is offered by 'brands'.

Then again, using a desktop as a daw avoids many of the headaches of laptop daws and gets you quite a bit more machine for the money with much better options for upgrading down the road.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #109
jerome_oneil

Quote:
How about you don't look at PC brands but make your own from scratch?
Because I prefer to spend my time working rather than tinkering with computers. It also wouldn't be "comparable" as you don't build your own Mac.

I build my own game machines. And even then, they aren't that much cheaper once you've added in your PS, Moboard, case, and everything else you have to buy.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #110
brainwreck

Quote:
It also wouldn't be "comparable" as you don't build your own Mac.
Just sayin... http://www.hackintosh.com/
Old 06-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #111
hopi

Quote:

yeah less costly by about half but the real thing is you get what you decide to get and that is virutally impossible with the 'ready made brands'....

IMO it makes a HUGE difference...

yeah sure, takes some research and such but it's not that hard...
Old 06-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #112
michael diemer

I had a company in Cleveland build me an i7 with 16 GB ram, two WD Black HDDS, Gigabyte mobo expandable to 32GB ram, with windows pro, for about 1200.00. Half of what a similar Apple machine would have been.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #113
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Nah, at least for me the main point isn't the fact that some other similarly specced laptops are roughly in the same price range; instead, the fact that counts is, there are dramatically better specced options out there for the same price -- or only marginally more expensive.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #114
DuX

Windows 10 is the 2nd Microsoft OS I'm skipping and I will slowly migrate to OS-X for audio. It is just not worth my time to deal with that MS POS. Microsoft is officially dead for me. Except the good old XP and 7, that is. For now.

In the mean time I'm using Linux for daily tasks and very clean Windows 7 and XP without Internet connection. I use two computers with two Windows/Debian Linux dual boots so I can use Internet on both. Sailing smoothly and feels very liberating! For 4 years now. I need not worry about Microsoft any more. Just sitting comfortably on the side with a big grin on my face while the cats and dogs are playing [praying?]. It kinda fun.

As an added huge bonus, with both OS-X and Linux you don't need to have antivirus installed.

Really, get a grip guys. Getting rid of Windows will save you a ton of time and nerves. Just move on already! d= =b Or stay with an older version for as long as it serves you well. There is absolutely nothing [aside Thunderbolt, but OS-X has great support for TB if you need it] special in W10 that is of any use for audio. Think about it.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 06-01-2017 at 02:51 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #115
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
Windows 10 is the 2nd Microsoft OS I'm skipping and I will slowly migrate to OS-X for audio. It is just not worth my time to deal with that MS POS. Microsoft is officially dead for me. Except the good old XP and 7, that is. For now.

In the mean time I'm using Linux for daily tasks and very clean Windows 7 and XP without Internet connection. I use two computers with two Windows/Debian Linux dual boots so I can use Internet on both. Sailing smoothly and feels very liberating! For 4 years now. I need not worry about Microsoft any more. Just sitting comfortably on the side with a big grin on my face while the cats and dogs are playing [praying?]. It kinda fun.

As an added huge bonus, with both OS-X and Linux you don't need to have antivirus installed.

Really, get a grip guys. Getting rid of Windows will save you a ton of time and nerves. Just move on already! d= =b [or stay with an older version for as long as it serves you well.]
I am running win 7 and linux and have been for some years now, heading in a similar direction. Windows has become a complete turnoff to me since 8 and moreso since 10.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #116
jerome_oneil

Quote:
southwest USA. MAC Pro is $3k to $4k _ likely more for full orchestra setup on Reaper.

DAW(s) are desktop fulltime unit and there are no MAC alternatives to Pro now. Comparable PC is half or less.
Entry level Mac Pro is a 2.5Ghz Xenon E5 processor with 16Gb RAM at $2,999.

Dell doesn't sell a desktop in that range until you get into their business oriented PowerEdge line. Comparable speced PowerEdge T430 is $3k.

The comparable HP is their Z640 workstation. Retails at $2500.

And on it goes...
Old 06-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #117
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Oh hellz no! You want to *really* limit your hardware choices? Build one of those things.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #118
brainwreck

Quote:
Oh hellz no! You want to *really* limit your hardware choices? Build one of those things.
Yes, you do have to select from a limited selection of comapatible motherboards, gpu's, and maybe memory, but you will still be less limited in choice than what Apple offers.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #119
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
There is absolutely nothing [aside Thunderbolt, but OS-X has great support for TB if you need it] special in W10 that is of any use for audio. Think about it.
I like using my 20 years old programs on Windows (some stuff like old hardware synth editors for things like my Kawai K5000R, for example). OSX makes similar stuff impossible (or at least, more complicated because you have to virtualize - and even that's not possible for OS9 apps any longer, for example) since they like to break stuff way too often. So no.

Also, no need to run AV on Windows if you have your wits together when you surf the Internet (and never use other people's USB sticks - use Dropbox or somesuch instead to transfer data from somebody). Built-in Defender is plenty enough.

I've thought about it and Windows is still great. And yes, I'm talking about W10.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #120
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Entry level Mac Pro is a 2.5Ghz Xenon E5 processor with 16Gb RAM at $2,999.
Yeah, but bump that CPU to an 8 core, RAM to 64 GB and the SSD to even half a TB, and you're looking at what, $5000 ? $6000 ? The base model is always the one with less margin, although you can still get significantly better spec for the same money, but when you start upping the specs the price goes bananas.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote