Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Tim Moore
Human being with feelings

Default Digidesign 192 with Reaper and PC

A friend of mine who was running a recording studio has handed me all of the gear he was using
I have a fairly recent and beefed up PC that I am using with reaper and presonus gear . I have received a digidesign 192 and two Power Mac running pro-tool version 5.3 . I am finally to the stage where I am doing more playing than tweaking and would prefer to just keep on using reaper , but am wondering if the digidesign unit can be used with reaper and are the cards in the Mac compatible with a pc , or do I need to purchase new interface cards .. Thanks Tim
Tim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
martifingers

I am not a MAC expert but I think it will be down to the the version of OS X you are running (or can run).. From memory this needs to be 10.5 or later? Just check in Downloads section.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
Win Conway

I doubt it has anything to do with the OSX version, he is trying to run it on a PC ?

Check the cards names (Look on the card) then google them
Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #4
martifingers

Oops,my mistake. Late night reading of technical posts probably not a good idea...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Moore View Post
A friend of mine who was running a recording studio has handed me all of the gear he was using
I have a fairly recent and beefed up PC that I am using with reaper and presonus gear . I have received a digidesign 192 and two Power Mac running pro-tool version 5.3 . I am finally to the stage where I am doing more playing than tweaking and would prefer to just keep on using reaper , but am wondering if the digidesign unit can be used with reaper and are the cards in the Mac compatible with a pc , or do I need to purchase new interface cards .. Thanks Tim
Download the core audio driver from Digi. You should then see the interface available to use in any audio app. You want Reaper v4.75. This is the end of the line for OSX 10.5 which is the end of the line for the PPC Macs.

G5 machine? Not sure if PCIe cards are cross platform or not. And if it's a PCIx G5 then there would be that. You'll be surprised at what those older machines can do. They're no 8 core i7 machine but still ahead of new lower spec machines. Reaper should feel like a big upgrade over Protools.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote