Old 12-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
smueske
Human being with feelings

Default She Dreamed the Swans

A month or so ago, I posted a link to Verses Records ACLU benefit compilation Code Red. I'm not sure if anyone knew which track was mine, since I've been going by "müesk" for the past year or so. Here is a remastered version. I'm not interested in comments on composition, development, etc.; I spent nearly three months working on this. I am, however, interested in comments you may have on the mix or the master, since either or both can be modified.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-mueske/...amed-the-swans
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Chris Diablo

Very soothing!
Chris Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
smueske

Thank you for listening, Chris.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Renter X

Your not intrested, i understand, but i must say, nice job with this piece, i am a fan.

So the mix is opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. Mine is that the bass "hangs" needs slow compression to pull it back specificaly post 2:00. At the 2:15 you have a nice upheval, that mid-low could be cut by 3.

Monitored on sen hd280 pro in upper midwest during sub zero temps.

That sound at :56, so familiar. What was it?

Last edited by Renter X; 01-04-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added monitoring
Renter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
smueske

Thank you for listening. I guess I wasn't terribly clear in the original post. I didn't mean to suggest that I wasn't interested in overall opinions, only that I was trying to be respectful of everyone's time because I am not changing anything in the composition. I am always interested in thoughts / ideas about the mix / mastering or anything to do with sound.

I don't really understand your comments. I don't know what "bass hangs" means or what "cut by 3" means. I also don't know what sound you are referring to. I listened to the track before, at, and just after :56 and nothing pops out. I mean, there are some detuned chimes there, and piano, and some "whooshes" I created with Ogun and Aether. I'm not trying to be snotty, I just genuinely don't understand your comments.

I'm from the upper Midwest, too, and yes, so cold!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 AM   #6
Renter X

Appologies if i seemed like the riddler, "hangs" meaning hangs around to long, obscuring the other musical ideas happening at the same time. I think I understand what you are portraying with the bass and its cool, my sugestion was to introduce the bass then pull it back.

Cut by 3 was refering to an EQ cut by 3 db in the low to mid frequency range on the mix at that point, or just lower the track volume of the instrument that is occupying that frequency range. Just an idea, thats all, was pretty good sounding as is.

I can understand not being intrested in certain critiques and looking for opinions on specific aspects of the material; it's a great way to get to what your looking for.

Detuned chimes, thats it, reminded me of my grandfather's old clock he had in his living room on the farm. Freaking sweet! Did you sample that sound yourself?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
smueske

The bass in that section is automated with a volume envelope and wet reverb level. I'm trying to emulate the sound of a repeated section of tape. I did try, early on, to shorten the sustain. The problem was that it left a hole in the bottom of the mix, which felt sort of odd. Increasing the attack level on the compressor would increase the time it takes to sound, rather than the reverse (unless I'm missing the idea). At any rate, the idea was to create three identical automations followed by subtle variations on a distant piano hit.

The chimes is a patch in Zebra2 that uses a random LFO on the pitch. I just generated three or four passes of audio and spliced what I liked. Funny you should mention the clock in the living room on the farm. That's exactly what I thought too (kind of a staple upper Midwestern image/sound) but a nightmare version of it. No, I wasn't clever enough to do actual sampling. I don't have the patience, skillset, or tools for that.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Renter X

Sure, ask for opinions then argue with them.... Jusk kiding

The compressor thing was attack time not level I was speaking of, upword downword compression expansion...I guess it doesnt matter, you know what im suggesting and you seem pleased with your result so rock on.

The clock...not nightmarish, it reminds me of the good old days, the days when the sun still shined. The piano coming from different dimenions set me adrift.

I like the track!

Last edited by Renter X; 01-06-2017 at 03:16 PM.