Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
copacetic
Human being with feelings

Default AKAI EIE Pro

http://www.akaipro.com/eiepro

Anyone know about these things? I can't find much real world information on them, on account of just being recently released, I guess.

Looks awesome to me.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
the all new rob

My customer support experience with Akai Pro (which is also Alesis and Ion and maybe a couple other brands) has been bad enough for me to never buy another product from them.

After filling out an online contact form (which required creating an account on their site), they sent me a blank form that I had to *fax* in to make the initial support request, which apparently was launched into the void, as I never got any reply. It was/is farcical.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
plamuk

Quote:
My customer support experience with Akai Pro (which is also Alesis and Ion and maybe a couple other brands) has been bad enough for me to never buy another product from them.
same. terrible support. they do not care about their users.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
copacetic

Damnit.

If it works, I don't really care about this aspect at all, to be honest.

It's just weird, there doesn't seem to be anyone on the planet who has actually used the festering thing.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
markheath

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that is using this thing. A couple of interestng featres caught my attention that I haven't seen on other audio devices before:

- it has a USB hub on it. Could prove useful when working with laptops that have very limited number of USB ports. Not sure whether using them would cause glitching at low latencies.

- it appears that they have opted not to write their own drivers for this at all, prefering to make it a class compliant device. This means there are no ASIO drivers - you would use WDM instead in Windows. Theoretically this should at least mean that the drivers are very stable - no bluescreens or bundled crapware. Not sure how low latency it would work at though.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Kenny

Other than the two things Markheath said, what exactly is the selling point of this over other similar interfaces?

to me, the hub, meh... if I needed a hub, I can get a hub. But can they be daisy chained through the hub? That's a whole different story. As a single interface it's not usefull to me, but being able to daisy chain 4 together might make it a viable option, at least for a kind of "upgrade path."

also I don't see using WDM over ASIO as a selling point. Drivers stable? maybe. But what about latency? It's been a while since I've needed to use WDM drivers, but isn't their latency terrible?
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Galaktus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Other than the two things Markheath said, what exactly is the selling point of this over other similar interfaces?
Hi, first post noob, please forgive.
So in my situation which is that I am new(ish) to computer recording and am acquiring the necessary ingredients for a halfway decent signal the number one advantage I see is that it has an insert for each channel. I would think that could be a nice budget-centric method of gradually incorporating higher quality pre's into my rig. I can't find any other interfaces in this price range (CHEAPASS) that has that fine little touch. Again, total noob so I would appreciate any input that is out there.
Galaktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
copacetic

If I can get a mate to bring this in from the States, it's only a little bit more:

http://www.focusrite.com/products/au...t_18i6/images/

Quote:
Key Features
Two high-quality award-winning Focusrite preamps
The best sounding interface in its class. Focusrite's 25-year legacy forms the foundation of this new interface, with two award-winning preamps.

Total I/O count of 18 inputs and 6 outputs
All of the analogue and digital inputs you need for home multitrack recording. No need for breakout cables - every input & output has a dedicated socket.

High-quality 24-bit/96kHz USB interface
Features professional conversion and jitter elimination technology, guaranteeing pristine audio quality and reliable synchronization.

Scarlett MixControl ultra-low-latency DSP mixer/router
Provides an 18 x 6 DSP mixer with excellent routing flexibility, intuitive one-click configurations, and lower than 1.4ms latency (less than the time it takes sound to travel two feet through air!).
Easy choice...

Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
KevinW

The Focusrite looks pretty good.

But I beleive there was confusion earlier in this thread about the ASIO drivers.
From AKAI website:
Quote:
The EIE Pro is a tabletop USB 2.0 audio interface perfectly tailored for your project and portable studio setups. This four-in, four-out (4x4) device features low latency ASIO drivers and enables you to record up to 24-bit resolution and sample rates of 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/88.2 kHz/96 kHz into virtually any DAW, recording or performance software on Mac and PC-based systems.
There is an EIE Pro and also a plain old EIE. Perhaps it's the latter model that lacks native ASIO drivers?
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
There is an EIE Pro and also a plain old EIE. Perhaps it's the latter model that lacks native ASIO drivers?
As far as I understand the only difference between the two is one is 16 bit and the other is 24 bit.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
As far as I understand the only difference between the two is one is 16 bit and the other is 24 bit.
Possibly, but this statement from Akai, and the lack of any mention of ASIO in the non-pro version, makes me think otherwise:
Quote:
EIE's USB interface is class compliant for plug-and-play operation with Mac OS X and Windows XP, Vista and 7.
Plus, the pro version has that cool silver color...
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
copacetic

Bit pointless having a recording interface without an ASIO driver?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaktus View Post
Hi, first post noob, please forgive.
So in my situation which is that I am new(ish) to computer recording and am acquiring the necessary ingredients for a halfway decent signal the number one advantage I see is that it has an insert for each channel. I would think that could be a nice budget-centric method of gradually incorporating higher quality pre's into my rig. I can't find any other interfaces in this price range (CHEAPASS) that has that fine little touch. Again, total noob so I would appreciate any input that is out there.
Your workflow may, and probably will, be different than mine, but I never use inserts, so that's a non starter for me. As a total newb, what will you be inserting? Unless you really know what you're doing it's unadvisable to EQ on the front end, as well as compression, which I only ever use when I need to pad the input (like drums peaking my converters with the preamp gain at 0), and in that case I put it after external preamps...so if I didn't have those, I would need an insert for that, but I don't think that's a common problem.

I like the scarlett and it may find it's way to my home one day.

--Edit, due to poor reading comprehension--
You don't need inserts to add preamps - the preamps will put out line level, so just plug them into the main inputs (of any interface), make sure it's set to "line" (if aplicable), and turn the gain down to 0.

Last edited by Kenny; 02-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
ivansc

You could have a problem with the I/O if it is the agricultural version.

Y'know - Old MacDonald had a BUNCH of trouble with HIS EIE I/O
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Galaktus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Your workflow may, and probably will, be different than mine, but I never use inserts, so that's a non starter for me. As a total newb, what will you be inserting? Unless you really know what you're doing it's unadvisable to EQ on the front end, as well as compression, which I only ever use when I need to pad the input (like drums peaking my converters with the preamp gain at 0), and in that case I put it after external preamps...so if I didn't have those, I would need an insert for that, but I don't think that's a common problem.

I like the scarlett and it may find it's way to my home one day.

--Edit, due to poor reading comprehension--
You don't need inserts to add preamps - the preamps will put out line level, so just plug them into the main inputs (of any interface), make sure it's set to "line" (if aplicable), and turn the gain down to 0.
Ohai, I'm a bit tardy here but that's just my style. Thanks for the reply Kenny I appreciate the input. My noob comment was more in reference to my status on this board, I have spent a fair amount of time in the recording and pro audio realm just not at the helm so to speak so my technical know how is not strong to say the least. While you are absolutely correct I probably won't concern myself with outboard eq's and sech it would be nice to have the option of eventually adding some compression. A technical query as I am sort of a dingbat, if you run an external pre into the line input will that bypass the internal pre? And if not wouldn't the inserts be the way to run external gear if the aim is post pre (confusing to type, hopefully not to read)? At any rate I suppose this is a bump because I am curious as to whether or not anyone has tried this unit yet. The Focusrite sure is tempting but as my budget is hyper tightwad I am still considering the Akai as this will all eventually be phased out for something nicer in the long run and gee it would be nice to hit the ground running with 4 pre's right off the bat. Still not a lot of internet traffic on this thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Galaktus

K, I bit the bullet and ordered one. Found a scratch and dent on Sweetwater and they let me do monthly payments (as I may have mentioned my budget is frayed shoestring). Anyway if anyone is still interested I'll update with my feedback sometime next week after I've had a chance to geek around with it. If nobody cares then I shall promptly proceed to shut the hell on up.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaktus View Post
K, I bit the bullet and ordered one. Found a scratch and dent on Sweetwater and they let me do monthly payments (as I may have mentioned my budget is frayed shoestring). Anyway if anyone is still interested I'll update with my feedback sometime next week after I've had a chance to geek around with it. If nobody cares then I shall promptly proceed to shut the hell on up.
While I am super chuffed with my Focusrite, I'd be very interested in what you have to say about the interface, thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
fortch

Default Good, but...

Just got one, thought I'd chime in (a little late). I have to say that I like it being class compliant, all that really means is that it stringently adheres to the USB 2.0 specification. The device does have a custom WDM driver, so it shouldn't rely the default driver (usbaudio.sys) in WDM mode. I know most people use ASIO, but that's as polarizing as a Ford vs. Chevy debate. For this, Akai definitely has an ASIO driver (see pics).

As to how it performs...it's solid. The VU meters are cool, but that wears off, especially if you are running more than 2 inputs -- they are selectable to inputs 1/2 or 3/4. It can also be configured to show INs or OUTs. Still, gimmicky as it is, it's a little nicer than a dim, slightly-blinking LED. This thing is a tank, too; my M-Audio felt like a plastic toy, while the Akai looks and feels like a hand-wired boutique tube amp. Although I dont generally use them, there are inserts for each channels, and I'll admit the USB hub is kinda handy. The only apparent drawback is the lack of any RCA outs, especially S/PDIF, which isn't a deal-breaker, but I came to rely on them in my last interface.

Outside of that, there is a slight problem On playback, at times there is a crackling sound that varies with input level. Seems to be on their forums too, although not everyone is experiencing it. I work around it for now, until Akai addresses the issue. While their support has historically been low-quality, employees moderate the forum, so issues are at least heard. I expect an updated driver anytime. Truthfully, in the world of USB interfaces, bad drivers seem commonplace. Overall, I like it -- low latency, 4 pre's and looks good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akai.jpg (60.7 KB, 1925 views)
File Type: jpg akai3.JPG (42.1 KB, 945 views)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
copacetic

In that picture with your ASIO settings, it says '192 samples 5.9ms/24.1ms.

Is the 24.1ms your output latency? That seems a little extreme doesn't it?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You could have a problem with the I/O if it is the agricultural version.

Y'know - Old MacDonald had a BUNCH of trouble with HIS EIE I/O

HA!
Quality.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
fortch

Heh... yeah, there's a drop-down with several selections, and it settled on the default when I snapped the pic. The selection I use is "49 samples - 2.7ms / 12.3ms".
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #22
ivansc

Ya shoulda got a focusrite Saffire6 or a scarlett.......

Way better latency than those figures with my saffire 6 into quite a humble little laptop.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
agradeleous

Hey just researching the same unit and here I am . there is so much up in the air stuff about the unit regarding play back issues and they say go to Akia forum but hey you have to register first ... gee thanks ! anyway I'm interested in it.

As for the latency the included drives are a bit on the slow side , they say so it can be used by folks with older machines .
There is a youtube review from England I believe that has this info. they also noted the buffering times.
What the reviewer said was he had to contact the drivers manufacturer and they seemed to have a driver update that will keep pace with the other usb interfaces out there. let me look for the link .......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJq1MJU0WfU

K so I hope it helps also hope to hear about it's performance from fortch
agradeleous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #24
ivansc

Just had a quick check on google and in the UK at least this unit is about the same price or slightly more than several other good alternatives.

My thoughts would be "why buy this if there is a risk the drivers are iffy?"

I don't see any significant standout features here that the others don't have.

But like I said before I have been using my Saffire6 for a year or so with excellent results and zero hasssle
Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
bderiso

Default Fix for crackle

SO I just bought this thing & I was about to return it until I did a quick search to find the current status & possibility of a fix.

User crumhorn on the Ableton forums posted a set of instructions that fixed the problem for him:

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic....75610&start=15

I was able to fix it for myself using just one of these actions: enabling all 4 outputs in Reaper Options > Preferences > Audio > Device .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (49.5 KB, 692 views)
bderiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
bderiso

Default Follow-up

Sadly, the steps outlined in my previous post were a temporary fix only.

The issues returned after a reboot and sometimes they re-apeared randomly. I have returned the Akai unit to the store & exchanged it for a Focusrite Scarlett. It has been smooth sailing for me after that...
bderiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
gp360

Quote:
Originally Posted by bderiso View Post
Sadly, the steps outlined in my previous post were a temporary fix only.

The issues returned after a reboot and sometimes they re-apeared randomly. I have returned the Akai unit to the store & exchanged it for a Focusrite Scarlett. It has been smooth sailing for me after that...
Akai has the updated drivers on their site. I would have recommended you check those out and fully remove previous drivers before returning, but sounds like everything is working out for you anyways
gp360 is offline   Reply With Quote