Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #361
Win Conway
Human being with feelings

I think a tablet is pretty much off the scope at this point
The closest i think we could go is to use one of the new breed of USB touchscreens and have it directly hooked up to the DAW machine itself

This would remove any lag and remove the need for writing software, very very easy to just create a mixer layout that only shows the things you wish to keep an eye on like VUs and such.
Put a toolbar on the same display to get whatever buttons you want too.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #362
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
The closest i think we could go is to use one of the new breed of USB touchscreens and have it directly hooked up to the DAW machine itself

This would remove any lag and remove the need for writing software, very very easy to just create a mixer layout that only shows the things you wish to keep an eye on like VUs and such.
from what I have seen so far, this is probably the case.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #363
chip mcdonald

Quote:
"I'd rather see a cheapo USB connected tablet."
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #364
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
"I'd rather see a cheapo USB connected tablet."
Either way, we see a touch sceen has interest, and we should not entirely rule it out.

But for the task at hand, in the fader bank module and master module, it has no place. What would the touch screen replace that is already mentioned for those two modules. Nothing. Those modules have been slimmed down to be exactly what their title says. All the deep control that would benefit from a touch screen would come from the action module. Lets get to somewhat of a conclusion on the other two modules first. Layout, components, etc. Once these are in place we can look at the real tough stuff.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #365
Nick Morris

Quote:

Making a toolbar and placing it on this screen would be a very cool idea. The only drawback is I do not know if you can adjust the size of the buttons, can you?

If you could, I would be into replacing the switches with this, could have a toolbar for each page.

No lag. visual feedback. unlimited pages of actions available. hmmmm.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #366
Win Conway

As you can see i use buttons of all sizes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #367
Nick Morris

I meant for the toolbar. How do you change the size of the buttons in the toolbar?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #368
Win Conway

Those are toolbars in that image Nick
You don't change the size of buttons, you just make them any size you want
As you can see works fine
Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #369
Nick Morris

I don't ever do anything with the theme, or display of Reaper and its components. I guess I do not follow, or you misunderstood me.

Say I wanted a toolbar with 16 functions on it. I would want the buttons to be much larger than how they appear when I put them on the toolbar. I can resize the toolbar itself easy enough, but the buttons stay the same size.

If we were to use a small touch screen, the buttons on the toolbar would have to be pretty large. Like taking up most of the touch screen. Can this be done?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #370
Nick Morris

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-magic-touch

Something like this on the action module?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #371
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I don't ever do anything with the theme, or display of Reaper and its components. I guess I do not follow, or you misunderstood me.

Say I wanted a toolbar with 16 functions on it. I would want the buttons to be much larger than how they appear when I put them on the toolbar. I can resize the toolbar itself easy enough, but the buttons stay the same size.

If we were to use a small touch screen, the buttons on the toolbar would have to be pretty large. Like taking up most of the touch screen. Can this be done?
Yeah you aren't following me , the image i posted, every single button on that is a toolbar
The buttons can literally be any size you want Nick
Old 12-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #372
Win Conway

Yeah something like the MIMO is exactly what i was thinking (Obviously we can go a lot cheaper because it doesn't have to be multi touch)
The cool thing about using a screen like that for actions is that if somebody is a bit more in the budget end of things, they can use an old touch screen P3 or something off ebay for 50 bucks or whatever and use VNC hehehe

Using that idea adds a lot of options (Not least of which of course is still having an action pad with physical buttons too)
Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #373
Nick Morris

Quote:
Yeah you aren't following me , the image i posted, every single button on that is a toolbar
The buttons can literally be any size you want Nick
Cool. This sounds perfect for that then. I just have no idea how to do any of that customization stuff.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 AM   #374
Win Conway

I wouldn't worry about that side of things at all Nick, I am a dab hand at themeing, take me no time at all
Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #375
Tim Ragnur

I like this project.
The encoder section as a plugin controller would move my world. Mixing without looking.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #376
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ragnur View Post
Mixing without looking.
thats the idea here.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #377
Nick Morris

I spent yesterday trying out a mimo touch screen display. This is, at the very least, perfect to replace the action pad. Now I just need to figure out how to customize toolbars and stuff.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #378
Klinke

Quote:
I spent yesterday trying out a mimo touch screen display. This is, at the very least, perfect to replace the action pad. Now I just need to figure out how to customize toolbars and stuff.
On the MIMO webside they state:
* fully compatible with Windows 7
* display-only mode compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista and Mac OS X

In my understanding this would rule out the OS X users, because they couldn't trigger any action with it. Or to i misinterpret those lines?
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #379
Nick Morris

I am going to check it with my macbook pro in a minute. I have drivers for osx so I think it will work. that could have been old print....?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #380
Nick Morris

from the mimo site:
[Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
There is currently only a beta display driver from DisplayLink for operating USB displays in Snow Leopard. Please visit DisplayLink’s website for the latest builds of this driver. http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.html. The Mac OS X Touchscreen Driver from Touch-Base software will operate properly under Snow Leopard if the DisplayLink beta driver is installed properly first. For users who have already installed a previous DisplayLink driver and are now upgrading to Snow Leopard, you will need to manually de-install your current DisplayLink drivers before installing the new Beta Snow Leopard compatible DisplayLink driver.

Mimo displays will not work with Snow Leopard running in native 64-bit mode. This is due to a limitation in the DisplayLink driver. A future driver update may resolve this issue. Stay tuned for more information. ]

Well, I don't have time to work out everything today, but it looks like it will, I just ran out of time before I have to run out the door. Looks like some workarounds, drivers still in beta...
Old 12-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #381
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
Fair point.

- For ReaEQ, you would need minimum 9 pots (LP Freq, HP Freq, 2 x (gain, freq, q)).
or rather be able to switch the CC# any given controller sends...

With eight controllers you could fully control eight bands if you could switch with each controller between gain, frequency and quality.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #382
Geoff Waddington

Just curious as to how this is progressing.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #383
Win Conway

Went off the boil for everybody while the holidays got out the way i think
Sure we will be back on it in no time though
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #384
Nick Morris

I did get a touch screen working really well, I just have not had time to customize my layout for the screen really. Not going to be around any of it until I get home from tour in February. I am doing a ton of reading and trying to decipher the ucapps site more. I felt pretty happy with the channel strip layout and the addition of the touch screen for whatever you want. Works for win7 and mac.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #385
mequaz

Any progress on this? I would love to see this project come to life. I use reaper now for beat making and recording so this would be awesome.
mequaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #386
Win Conway

I'm busy right now working out a few live sets for exhibitions and finishing the studio build too, but as soon as everybody is back involved in this , i will be back on it
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #387
yagonnawantthatcowbell

Some interesting things going on in the pre-release forum that I think will reignite the spark to get this project rolling.
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #388
Tim Ragnur

Just want to stimulate this thread with a picture. Could this perhaps inspire the plugin controller part?

BTW the new developments in OSC is great news!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6512185295_c25f3b895f_b small.jpg (17.7 KB, 408 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #389
yagonnawantthatcowbell

OSC support is in the latest release!
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #390
Smurf

I just ran across the site D.I.Y Recording Equipment & Check Out The First Page I See

Just wanted to post it here in case it might help...

Also, I would like to see enough rotary control for ReaEQ. Something like 3 knobs for the Freq - Gain - Bandwidth, with a switch to select Band 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc...

Fader, Pan and EQ would do it for me, I don't mind adjust effects on-screen.

Anyhoo, if I missed this in when reading the thread just ignore me!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #391
JohnnieTech

Just wanted to throw an idea out there as far as the meter bridge goes. I've been looking into a MIDIbox solution for a while now and always came across the trouble of implementing a meter bridge easily. I know, MIDIbox and easily don't really belong in the same sentence but I was working with WALTER last night and modified my current theme to only display 8 tracks at a particular resolution(1366x768). Say you have a 15"-19" monitor(depending on the span of your faders/channel strips) that displays 8 tracks at a time mirroring the physical faders we have available to us. Not only do you have the meter, you have the ability to modify the channel strip the way you want to see it. This is def the reaper way. Let's get to the bad part, the issues...

Known Issues:
----------------------
1. Sizing is relegated to a specific resolution(I've just recently dove into WALTER and haven't come across a way to span the width. See #2)
2. When implementing more than 8 faders you require a secondary monitor. The issue is that you can't have two separate mixer windows. My solution was to span the mixer window across both monitors. I did run into a few sizing issues but in the end I got it worked out with the RTconfig file.
3. When we switch banks, how does the mixer window respond? Through my quick searches I have found that this can achieved with the sws extension and snapshots. We can setup snapshots to emulate track selection within a Mackie HUI device. This can then be applied to an action in Reaper and tied to the bank left and right buttons. I am just now getting into testing of this. If I am wrong PLEASE let me know, it will save me a considerable amount of time.

This is all VERY preliminary but I felt like maybe this would be a better option for people in the long run. You have to look at the flexibility of the large LCD as compared to the physical pots and scribble strip a channel strip would need. This eliminates many wiring and labor hassles we would run into if we were to implement this on our own. Let's be honest, jumping into a project of this magnitude will create not only headaches of our own, but headaches of others we will all try to troubleshoot. I would LOVE to hear feedback on this idea and also get this thread revived!
JohnnieTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #392
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieTech View Post
Just wanted to throw an idea out there as far as the meter bridge goes. I've been looking into a MIDIbox solution for a while now and always came across the trouble of implementing a meter bridge easily. I know, MIDIbox and easily don't really belong in the same sentence but I was working with WALTER last night and modified my current theme to only display 8 tracks at a particular resolution(1366x768). Say you have a 15"-19" monitor(depending on the span of your faders/channel strips) that displays 8 tracks at a time mirroring the physical faders we have available to us. Not only do you have the meter, you have the ability to modify the channel strip the way you want to see it. This is def the reaper way. Let's get to the bad part, the issues...

Known Issues:
----------------------
1. Sizing is relegated to a specific resolution(I've just recently dove into WALTER and haven't come across a way to span the width. See #2)
2. When implementing more than 8 faders you require a secondary monitor. The issue is that you can't have two separate mixer windows. My solution was to span the mixer window across both monitors. I did run into a few sizing issues but in the end I got it worked out with the RTconfig file.
3. When we switch banks, how does the mixer window respond? Through my quick searches I have found that this can achieved with the sws extension and snapshots. We can setup snapshots to emulate track selection within a Mackie HUI device. This can then be applied to an action in Reaper and tied to the bank left and right buttons. I am just now getting into testing of this. If I am wrong PLEASE let me know, it will save me a considerable amount of time.

This is all VERY preliminary but I felt like maybe this would be a better option for people in the long run. You have to look at the flexibility of the large LCD as compared to the physical pots and scribble strip a channel strip would need. This eliminates many wiring and labor hassles we would run into if we were to implement this on our own. Let's be honest, jumping into a project of this magnitude will create not only headaches of our own, but headaches of others we will all try to troubleshoot. I would LOVE to hear feedback on this idea and also get this thread revived!
Did you see this?

Using OSC and a tool like Pd, it is not very hard to make a window display VU meters with arbitrary x/y dimensions, which automatically move along with REAPER's mixer display.

Btw, welcome here!

Last edited by Banned; 05-02-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #393
Nick Morris

Finally back in town for a little while and wanted to get back into this project. I remember the fader pack modules layout we agreed upon, but the master module I can not recall the finalized requirements. What were they? 1 master fader that has the same four switches and LCD, 4 aux faders, bank up and down switches, transport switches. What else? I want to start attempting to put this and the fader pack module together. The other modules look a bit more difficult/not finalized in the design yet, and building these will probably help steer their direction too.

So what is going on the master module ? (remember the action pad will exist, so only the needed functions of the master module)
Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #394
Nick Morris

I've been tinkering away with the midibox modules and have conquered a few major hurdles for me in understanding the platform. ...So, the fader module is shaping up nicely!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #395
Tim Ragnur

Hi Nick great to hear your back
Quote:
So what is going on the master module ? (remember the action pad will exist, so only the needed functions of the master module)
Something like this?

to start, rew, backwards, play, pause, rec, fastforward, stop, to end
loop
prev. marker, next marker

jog wheel

prev channel, next channel
Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #396
Win Conway

Nick any chance i can buy a box of the alps faders off you so i can start building protos and working this out, dont really need 84 but if thats how they come i will have to make do
Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #397
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Got to say a software solution and touch screen technology appears a lot more do-able from the sidelines.

Plus with a touch screen end users aren't locked solely into one solution/use for the interface as they would with a hardware unit, even with generic programability.

Heck if the price was affordable, I'd be interested.

Sooo..... how's it going? About 6 months on and with OSC support up and running.

I really don't want to buy a used iPad or an iPhone just to do this.
How would an android based device fit into this?
Or am I missing the whole point as usual?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #398
Jeronimo

This is a project that I want to keep an eye on...
Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #399
pixeltarian

if you're just going to do a touchscreen...
you may as well make an ios app because an ipad (first gen) can be had for like $200 or less.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #400
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
if you're just going to do a touchscreen...
you may as well make an ios app because an ipad (first gen) can be had for like $200 or less.
(grin) Not in the UK they cant....

I get so ticked off when my brother and I do price comparisons - him in Fla me in England.

I am currently looking to buy a gibson 330 short neck from the sixties and the prices in the UK are double what they go for in the USA
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote