Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #41
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
We need the guy from that other thread to let us know if it looks professional.
FFS! I just gave up on him and the Evil Axis that is gathering over there..

I am allowed to say 'Evil Axis' on here, right?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #42
Sexan

White Tie is a genius! Another hack in the work (just need some help) , what is the code that positions Fader (volthumb) ?

Edit : I guess its not possible to move the fader on it's own without moving bg image....

Last edited by Sexan; 12-04-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
Hardwire666

My brain just pooped it's self.
Hardwire666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Not bad ideas overall, but sends/recarm section on TCP is way too complex in its own right... I'm also (personally) not keen on folder depth indications in TCP really. I hate TCP enough when the damn scrollbar appears and messes the stuff up (including alignment with the Master track)...

But carry on, mister! I guess this kind of design will suit someone.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #45
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not bad ideas overall, but sends/recarm section on TCP is way too complex in its own right... I'm also (personally) not keen on folder depth indications in TCP really. I hate TCP enough when the damn scrollbar appears and messes the stuff up (including alignment with the Master track)...

But carry on, mister! I guess this kind of design will suit someone.
But how about if it were switchable, as I suggested earlier?

I freely admit to getting lost in the swamp that is assigns, inserts, etc., and would welcome the availability of the info in an easily-digestible form like this, BUT I would much prefer having it optional, with an easy way to switch back and forth between show and hide.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #46
CloseToTheEdge

I prefer analog-looking buttons for as many functions as possible because I am old. I have a mental connection to what I think of as the "hardware" and the little buttons that light up when you push them, so I prefer themes that incorporate the look of a "real" device (not necessarily modeled after a specific piece of gear, BTW). Much of that is evident in this design. Same goes for another unfinished theme that shall not be mentioned.

I must confess that I also have a strong preference for themes that are complete! Ha ha!

But, seriously, I really do.

Keep up the amazing work, WT. You really have a gift and an amazing eye for design.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #47
chip mcdonald

I like it, particularly in that the 3 dimensionality is carefully handled only on "touchable" surfaces, and you've reserved a certain luminance just for "indicators". This seems to be a deja vu sort of thing for some reason....

I presume the toolbar's motif is part of the incompleteness even thought it's not missing?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #48
Seventh

WT sir, could you explain in detail how you managed that mcp folder indent, if it's not too much of a trouble. Thank you.
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #49
run, megalodon

Nice. I think I like each thing you make more than the last thing. Love the flat elements.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #50
AftersixProductions

I'm loving the concept(s) and how you're trying to shed light on techniques, or concepts other themers haven't figured out yet. But that makes sense, seeing as how you know a bit more about Walter and what not.

I think the default theme could have benefitted HEAVILY from this type of depth, which then would have inspired other talented Themers to incorporate the same level of thought behind their execution.

Thanks for sharing, White Tie.
AftersixProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #51
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
could you explain in detail how you managed that mcp folder indent, if it's not too much of a trouble.
Sure!

Like most things WALTER, its very simple stuff just used a certain way.
  1. low_marg This is a 'low margin' variable that I make and then hang everything that sits at the bottom of the panel from it. I then tell that variable to reduce its y-value based on the 'folderdepth' predefined variable - resulting in all that bottom stuff moving up, as a block, for any track that's in a folder. The higher up the folder hierarchy it goes, the further up the mixer the stuff moves.
  2. low_marg_max This another variable, the same as 'low-marg' but responding to the maximum folder depth (using the 'maxfolderdepth' predefined variable, and will be on update the new mcp_maxfoldepth for subtle reasons) used for some different elements. This is simply for design reasons, some elements look neater if they scoot up out of the way of all the folder-varying-height stuff, so that those elements line up across all tracks. See the 'irregular' layout to see what its like without this variable : all the available space is used, but its not as neat, should the user prefer that.
  3. h_der or 'Height (derived)' ...another variable I make, this time so I can do all the h> stuff we usually do. However, because things are moving around in the y-axis based on folder depth, I need a per-track value of what the effective 'derived' height is, which will be different across tracks. If I want to disappear a button when there's not enough y-space for it when the user shrinks the mixer, I want the height between the top of the track and the low_marg_max stuff, so I subtract one from the other. Then, inside each element's WALTER, instead of doing 'h>?? blah blah' I do 'h_der{x}>?? blah blah'. Note the {x} is there because I need to grab a scalar (a number) out of the variable, even though it only has one number. Obviously that one number lives in the first position ({x}) so that's what I call.
  4. mcp_namebg In order to do the folder representing blocks at the bottom of the mixer, I hang a load of those blocks in a yellow area off the bottom of the name background. Since the name background is at the bottom of the mixer, they get cropped off till the name background and all the other bottom stuff moves up because of a folder depth, revealing the correct number of folder blocks. Its a bit hacky because I need to provide as many folder blocks off the bottom of the image as will be used, which theoretically is infinite ...I did about 10 IIRC, which I imagine would be enough for most users
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #52
lum

I don't think this theme is usable, because of the track labels and routing panels being unaligned from each other.
The unalignment creates too much complexity onscreen.
I think WhiteTie is stuck with this behaviour unless Cockos comes to the rescue.

Last edited by lum; 01-13-2012 at 03:01 PM.
lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #53
Seventh

Genius! Thanks mr. Tie =)
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #54
Megabass

Wow! Very nice and smart!
This theme is as good and complete as Imperial!
(...sorry I just can`t stop myself...)
But before that it is one of my favourite WT_themes!
Megabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #55
SoulOne82

but where´s imperial?

SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #56
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lum View Post
I don't think this theme is usable, because of the track labels and routing panels being unaligned from each other.
The unalignment creates too much complexity onscreen.
I think WhiteTie is stuck with this behaviour unless Cockos comes to the rescue.
It's not usable, because it's incomplete. Not because of some of the stuff not being aligned when folders are used.

WhiteTie is not stuck, it's possible to keep all the stuff aligned in this very theme. Problem is, you need at least one image move and not align, so you can hang your folderindent blocks off it. You're stuck when you want everything aligned and visible.

In this theme you could use recinput.png, as it's not visible on the strips anyway. Make the actual recinput part transparent and paint your folderindent boxes in a yellow area of it. You need to put a margin to push the recinput text out of the boundaries of the mcp panel, so it's not displayed. Result: recinput image moves up with folderdepth, but it's invisible apart from the folderindent blocks it shows if pushed upward by folderindent.

Last edited by gofer; 01-13-2012 at 06:04 PM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #57
bennisixx

weird question but why do the sliders on faders on most themes have the line in the middle? is this to line up with the current setting or is this just hardware replication. I like it dont get me wrong, just wondering
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #58
AftersixProductions

Finished version should replace the current default!

Okay, now that I got that out of the way. I'm glad you're pushing yourself with these themes and concepts. Looking into the future, future versions of Reaper (version 5+) are going to be game changing for sure.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #59
lum

What if the labels are up top, then there's some empty space, and then the folder stacks are down below stacking up like a pyramid. So that only the tallest stack touches the label.
lum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #60
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
In this theme you could use recinput.png, as it's not visible on the strips anyway. Make the actual recinput part transparent and paint your folderindent boxes in a yellow area of it. You need to put a margin to push the recinput text out of the boundaries of the mcp panel, so it's not displayed. Result: recinput image moves up with folderdepth, but it's invisible apart from the folderindent blocks it shows if pushed upward by folderindent.
That's a good call, in that something has to be the sacrificial element, and that element has to not line up if its off-stage bits are to be hierarchy dependant. Unfortunately, for your specific example, I have used the mcp.recinput, which rather buggers that plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftersixProductions View Post
should replace the current default!
You do understand that is the theme forum cliché #1, yeah? I do understand its meant as a compliment, which is nice, but alas it also forever illicits the reaction 'gnnngh another punter who doesn't fully understand the role of the default'. Cheers anyway... EDIT: Sorry, I've just seen that you're new here, so you probably didn't know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lum View Post
What if the labels are up top, then there's some empty space, and then the folder stacks are down below stacking up like a pyramid. So that only the tallest stack touches the label.
The detail you're missing is that there is no specific element to do the folder stacks (this is, after all, a hack), so they have to be glued onto something else. In this case, I've used the name bg. So the name bg (or whatever else I might use) MUST do the heirarchy-dependent move in order for the folder blocks to give the appearance of independent, function objects. If it doesn't move, the hack doesn't work. With me?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #61
AftersixProductions

haha, WT, I was kidding with that. Hence me saying ''now that I got that out of the way''. Although i'm sure a lot of people are probably thinking the same each time you show off a different new design. It's as though we can see more of 'you' in the design. You know what I mean? There are a lot of people who are simply a fan of YOUR work. I guess that sorta is unfair to the rest of the theme team. It should be obvious, however, that I mostly use Reaper with the Default theme. Which is why the knob issue still hurts me deeply.

And i'm not that new. =( Just signed up much later than I started lurking.

Anyways, can't wait to see how you guys push Reaper in the GUI/UI department in the future. If only all the naysayers could stop ignoring the program because it doesn't look like their current favorite DAW that probably does much less, and less efficiently.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #62
strunkdts

is nice, i like.
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #63
jedstar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
That's a good call, in that something has to be the sacrificial element, and that element has to not line up if its off-stage bits are to be hierarchy dependant. Unfortunately, for your specific example, I have used the mcp.recinput, which rather buggers that plan!

How about the idx background as your not using it

Also you could use the reverse overlay idx hack which effectively gives you to mcp backgrounds to play with Forground/Bacground as in color strip layouts
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #64
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Next V5 Reaper theme ? Nice, I love it !
Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #65
Quest The Wordsmith

Wondering if this theme is completed or close to it?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #66
XITE-1/4LIVE

Thanks for answering the questions, another great lesson from a master.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #67
Coachz

Two year old thread?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #68
Quest The Wordsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Two year old thread?
Yea, but one sexy sleek theme!