Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #281
UnderwaterSunlight
Human being with feelings

Default i get frequent crashes now with 0.71beta

yesterday i played with 0.71beta. this time i drove fm8 with arp!0.
so, i had arpbangzero on top of the fx chain, followed by fm8 immediately underneath.

i then started the reaper's sequencer playback.
following that, i played around with starting/stopping the sequencer, enabling/disabling the arp in the fx chain, changing reaper's play cursor position and did various other things while the arp was running. i got lots of crashes which left the reaper process in memory, as could be seen in the task manager.

i then replaced fm8 by other ni synths like absynth, massive or reaktor. with those, no crashes happened at all.
i am using reaper 4.20rc1(x64) on windows 7(x64) and the latest fm8 version.
please, fm8 owners, could you contribute to the discussion by testing for this issue ?

Last edited by UnderwaterSunlight; 03-13-2012 at 02:46 AM.
UnderwaterSunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #282
UnderwaterSunlight

Default might be an fm8 issue

to narrow the problem down, i tested KIRNU ARP as an arpeggiator in front of fm8.
crashes all the same. so, arpbangzero seems innocent here.

then i thought: oh, might be a reaper issue.
so i tested fm8 in CUBASE 5 and ABLETON LIVE 8 with kirnu arp. crashed as well.

thus, i am going to look at the fm8 forum for known issues then.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #283
bang

hi chardin! welcome to arp!0-land!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chardin View Post
Have you considered incorporating some of the features from the Oatmeal arp? For example, maybe you could add some more options to the "step" function.
heh. the last couple of features i've been pondering are a few more step types and some sort of probability system for the sequences. so thanks much for the synchronous examples. some nifty possibilities there.

i had started a one by one compare and contrast of Oatmeal's fascinating step types. but then i realized that the whole approach of the Oatmeal step sequence is quite different from arp!0's. the Oatmeal steps alter the input notes, but it's not clear to me how Oatmeal handles time vs pitch ordering of those notes. arp!0 keeps these clearly distinct and i would hesitate to mix them up. another thing is that Oatmeal steps seem partly to do what arp!0's order settings do. so where Oatmeal has "bounce" as a step feature, arp!0 has bouncy orders. Oatmeal's approach is arguably more flexible, but at the expense of simplicity perhaps for doing "classic" arp orders. so i've ended up thinking that the admittedly "odd" Oatmeal approach is more arcane than i hope for in arp!0. i want simple things to be very simple. but i am very open to different opinions here. i can't easily try the Oatmeal arp out on my mac, alas. what uniquely musical things can the Oatmeal arp do? and what specific Oatmeal arp use cases does arp!0 need to support? what are the coolest things you've done with the Oatmeal arp chardin?

i guess what i want for arp!0 is some sort of clear purpose and system for the step types. what do steps *do*? how can they be powerful and practical? the current types are cribbed from the Zebra 2 arp, for which there are lot's of xcool arp presets. that's a good useable core. so my general question is which new step types would be most useful in practice?

i am currently thinking all this through. i am looking at the simpler arp!0 sort transforms to see how many of them could be accomplished more easily with new step types. sortx's can do vcool things, but they are far from the arp!0 ideals of easy and immediate. :^) just for fun, here is a bit of not entirely successful mockup ui:

does this spark ideas or comments anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardin View Post
Another thought would be to add a probability slider under each step.
this is another good idea, and i'd quite like to do something like this. but here we run up against the Js large preset bug. a new probability value per step adds 32 values times the active variant plus 7 alternate variants currently. that's 256 additional values and we are already almost at the limit of 4096 where Js presets just fail to load. i have posted in the bugs forum about this but have no replies there. i'm ready to enter it in the official bug database, but don't know when it might be fixed. anyone have good ideas for getting the attention of the devs on this? their time must be pretty limited.

anywho, hope these ramblings make some sort of sense. enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 05-24-2012 at 02:55 AM.
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #284
bang

hello folks. fwiw, i created an issue report for the large Js presets bug here. it might help if anyone who can try the test Js and reproduce the problem would add their vote to that issue. tia! /dan
Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #285
UnderwaterSunlight

Default good idea, according to this mockup of additional step parameters.

dan,
i like it when your gorgeous arp gets more powerful and complex.
the idea with the additional steps feature in your mockup is fine.
i'd love it to be implemented, if possible.

but as it is even now the arpbangzero is a wonderful tool.

keep up the fine work.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #286
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
hello folks. fwiw, i created an issue report for the large Js presets bug here. it might help if anyone who can try the test Js and reproduce the problem would add their vote to that issue. tia! /dan
Me neither. Seems to work as expected on Win7 32bit, v4.20rc1. Perhaps a mac thing?
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #287
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Me neither. Seems to work as expected on Win7 32bit, v4.20rc1. Perhaps a mac thing?
thanks very much Veto and IXix. maybe it *is* a mac thing. any macfolk out there able to test this? if so, i could enable more variants and consider a new probability sequence, with a warning to macfolk. hmmm. but adding a sequence would *decrease* the available variants on macs, and i'd really rather not do that. i'll add a comment about the win vs mac behavior to the issue report. but at least one mac confirmation would be nice. maybe it's just *me*. :^)

enjoy! /dan
Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #288
bang

Default arp!0 - v0.72beta - 15 mar 2012 - stability is good release

new release with a few bug fixes and cleanups to the sort transform update logic before i embark on the new step types adventure. enjoy! /dan
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #289
amenbrother

Mighty cool! Ive been looking around for a step seq and here it is,in my own backyard.

Tanks alot bang!
amenbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #290
UnderwaterSunlight

If the memory for JS effects is limited, I'd rather go without the variants (which I never use) and instead have many interesting step types...
My humble opinion, of course.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #291
chardin

Quote:
{snip} and what specific Oatmeal arp use cases does arp!0 need to support? what are the coolest things you've done with the Oatmeal arp chardin?
In all honesty, I'm usually quite baffled by the Oatmeal step functions. Most of the time the Oatmeal arp output is just a happy accident. I was hoping that the Oatmeal steps would give you some new step ideas for arp!0. And it looks like it has! By the way, the new steps in the prototype picture look very interesting.

Regarding the probability sliders: Perhaps they could only be available for the first variation? I haven't played much with the variations so this wouldn't be a limitation for me. In my opinion, I think the probability sliders would offer many more variations.

Thanks again for a wonderful arp!
chardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #292
IXix

Say "NO!" to compromise.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #293
bang

Default arp!0 - v0.75alpha - 17 mar 2012 - feeling lucky release

hello all! i'm away tomorrow and thought a quick un-release might be fun to share with folks before the weekend. the new step types are still a work in progress, but if anyone is feeling lucky i just uploaded an alpha release to dropbox. this has almost all the intended new step types implemented. however, the drop down step edit grid is not done, and some logic to support a prefix section in the step sequence got messier than i could do by now. but what's there is big fun. i have done only a little testing, so this is not for the faint of heart. and i'd keep a copy of the last release. fwiw, here is the executive summary of the new step types:
Code:
  >   - next step
  <   - previous step
  |<  - first step
  >|  - last step
  =   - same step
  <>  - reverse direction; no effect for unidirectional orders
  ?   - random step
  <?> - randomly next or previous step
  >2  - 2nd next step
  >3  - 3rd next step
  <2  - 2nd previous step
  <3  - 3rd previous step
  *   - it's a mystery :^)
  <=  - back one step in time
  <=2 - back 2 steps in time
  <=3 - back 3 steps in time
  -   - subtract meta: no note output for step
  '   - contract meta: combine step with following step; no note
        output and takes no time, but changes the current input
        position as if the step had occurred; big voodoo!  :^)
  ~   - resortx meta: redo sort transform before step
  :   - section mark: not implemented; intended to allow a prefix
        section for the steps sequence to "seed" later steps like
        the sortx prefix.

all the next and previous step types wrap around or bounce according to the current order.

enjoy... if you dare! :^) /dan
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #294
bang

oh yeah. ps- to help understand the new step types, i added logic so that when paused, right clicking the play button plays a single step.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #295
DarkStar

A bit of housekeeping first:

At the moment, all the bangzero_data .txt files show up in the FX browser (as does the gpl.txt). Can you move them to .../Application Data/REAPER/Data/bangzero/data (as IXix does for his keymaps)

For example:
filename:32,/bangzero/data/arpbangzero_defcolors.txt

Note the single folder for bangzero, then a data sub-folder.
It might be possible to put the image files in a sub-folder there too, for ease of installation.

---------------
Edit
Rats: it looks like image files have to be in (a sub-folder in) the folder containing the JS FX.

Quote:
To use for generic data files, the files should be located in the REAPER\Data directory, and these can be opened with file_open(), passing the filename index.

You may also specify a PNG file. If you specify a file ending in .png, it will be opened from the same directory as the effect, and you can use the filename index as a parameter to gfx_blit().

Last edited by DarkStar; 03-17-2012 at 01:53 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #296
bang

Quote:
Say "NO!" to compromise.
well said Sir! might i add: Say "YES!" to creative limitation!

...hmmm. did you have any particular compromise in mind? thankfully, the new step type logic doesn't change the preset size, so no compromise necessary there. adding a new probability sequence is where there's a conflict with the preset size bug. i wouldn't want to limit variants in any way for that new sequence. they really are quite wonderful once you start using them. just the ability to save a quick checkpoint snapshot of arp!0's state for compare and contrast and undo is way cool imo. one click on [+] and you've got it. and of course variants are currently the only way to record & playback "preset" changes in a midi sequence. but, it may be possible to do a probability sequence that is only optionally saved with presets, so folks that want it can have it, and others can have more variants. and apparently this is only an issue for the macfolk. and i'm hoping the large preset bug will be fixed sooner than later. it will be a bit before i get to the probability sequence anyway. so no worries i think.

enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 03-17-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #297
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
A bit of housekeeping first:

At the moment, all the bangzero_data .txt files show up in the FX browser (as does the gpl.txt. Can you move them to ...\Application Data\REAPER\Data\bangzero_data (as IXix does for his keymaps)

For example:
filename:32,/bangzero/data/arpbangzero_defcolors.txt

Note the single folder for bangzero, then a data sub-folder.
It might be possible to put the image files in a sub-folder there too, for ease of installation.
happy to get this working right, but i am not understanding something here. the bangzero_files folder goes in the ...\Application Data\REAPER\Effects folder with midi_arpbangzero. it shouldn't have any text files, including gpl.txt. so thanks for pointing that out. i will put that somewhere else. bangzero_data goes in ...\Application Data\REAPER\Data already. as i understand it, other than .png files, Js looks for everything relative to the Data folder. so text filenames like "filename:63,bangzero_data/arpbangzero_sortx.txt" should be in ...\Application Data\REAPER\Data\bangzero_data\arpbangzero_sortx.t xt, and should not show up in the Js fx list. they don't for me. am i missing something? is this different on windows somehow? tia DarkStar! /dan
Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #298
DarkStar

In my haste i got the paths wrong in my example. Sorry.

Anyway: I had put the FX in my ...Application Data\REAPER\Effects\MIDI sub-folder and the two other folders in there too.. This is on Windows XP. Maybe I mis-installed it

Then I renamed the bangzero_data folder to "data" and to Application Data\REAPER\Data\bangzero\ and edited the JSFX. That worked OK.

When I tried the same with the bangzero_files folder, containing the .PNGs (and gpl.txt) that did not work
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #299
bang

Quote:
Then I renamed the bangzero_data folder to "data" and to Application Data\REAPER\Data\bangzero\ and edited the JSFX. That worked OK.
is there a reason you don't want to just put the bangzero_data folder in Application Data\REAPER\Data\ without renaming it? then you shouldn't need to edit the Js source.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #300
DarkStar

Just to keep all your future sub-folders under a single bangzero folder.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #301
IXix

Quote:
did you have any particular compromise in mind? ... i wouldn't want to limit variants in any way
Yes, that one.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #302
bang

Quote:
Just to keep all your future sub-folders under a single bangzero folder.
yup. i intend bangzero_data to be the one folder to contain all future sub-folders.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #303
IXix

Quote:
yup. i intend bangzero_data to be the one folder to contain all future sub-folders.
One Folder to rule them all, One Folder to find them,
One Folder to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #304
bang

Quote:
One Folder to rule them all, One Folder to find them,
One Folder to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
oooh! i should name it "bangzero_precious"! :^)
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #305
amenbrother

Wonderful arpeggio! Love it! One thing Im serching for though. Is it poosible to transpose more than 12 semitones in the "sequenser", without using the octave buttons for the arpeggio?
amenbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #306
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenbrother View Post
Wonderful arpeggio! Love it! One thing Im serching for though. Is it poosible to transpose more than 12 semitones in the "sequenser", without using the octave buttons for the arpeggio?
if you mean + & - 12, for a total of 24, then no, that's the current limit. how specifically would you use more than that? would it be more arp or sequencer like? there would be some tricky gui issues to increase the transpose range without making things huge or unwieldy. i've thought about it but haven't come up with any great ideas so far.

enjoy! /dan
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #307
bang

calling all Js coders! i now have some loops that seem to exceed the limit on how much code can go inside the loop(...). i've been working around this limit with ?(...) conditionals for a while by stringing together duplicate conditionals. this doesn't work for loop(...) alas. right now this is probably the main limiting factor for new arp!0 features.

anyone have other workarounds for this? is there an official issue report for this? have the devs ever commented on this limitation?

thanks for whatever info you can share.

enjoy! /dan
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #308
IXix

Quote:
calling all Js coders! i now have some loops that seem to exceed the limit on how much code can go inside the loop(...). i've been working around this limit with ?(...) conditionals for a while by stringing together duplicate conditionals. this doesn't work for loop(...) alas. right now this is probably the main limiting factor for new arp!0 features.

anyone have other workarounds for this? is there an official issue report for this? have the devs ever commented on this limitation?
It's been mentioned occasionally but AFAIK neither Justin or schwa have commented. Justin often fixes JS problems quite quickly if they come to his attention but obviously he's a busy guy, especially with all the new stuff going into the next release. Maybe when 4.20 is out we could ask him to look at removing/expanding the various code size limits.

Sadly I don't know of any workarounds.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #309
Arnar

Best thing since Bacon!
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #310
VVV

Quote:
i'd be most interested in which options you enable and disable.
cool! ground is very nicely dark. but... wait... this means no multicolors!?! <drama>i am crushed! crushed!</drama> :^) :^) enjoy! /dan
Off course I use multicolors!

[IMG]http://img849.**************/img849/1481/arpmulti.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with **************

I remove numbers and color intensity variation for "lenght" and "gate"
I remove icons for "voices" and "transp"

I've tried to change gate and lenght colors but they stay with a white background, don't know why.

BTW is it possible to change the default skin?

My settings:

// arp!0 global settings

1 // play/pause with host
1 // midi through when paused
1 // clear notes on host seek
1+2+64+128 // button style bits: 0 is default
// 1/+2/+4/+8 are icons for len/gate/vc/transp
// +16/+32/+64/+128 are numbers for len/gate/vc/transp
// +256 disables gate >= 1 tick
// add/remove addends from "1+2+4+8+16+32+64+128" to enable/disable

0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 // 8 spares
0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 // 10 spares
0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 // 10 spares

//colors - cool-multi
242,232,189 // fx window background color r/g/b
.25, .4, .3 // borders/text color r/g/b
255,255,255 // control background color r/g/b
.5, .5, .5, .35 // current step hilight color r/g/b/a
0, 0, 0, .3 // slider bar color r/g/b/a
-1,0,0, .6 // dimming color r/g/b/a
.1, .5, .15, .32 // selected buttons hilight color r/g/b/a
.7 // 2ndary dim text alpha
.06 // transp grid white delta: added to white notes r/g/b
1 // transp grid horizontal lines brightness
239,114,117,1,1, 192,209,200,1,1, .7,.99,.8,1,1, 0,.7,.7,.2,.4, .8,.8,.3,.4,.4
// step/length/gate/voices/transp background colors r/g/b/a1/a2
// r is -1 to use default control bg color
// a1 is minimum color fade based on step value; 1 disables fade
// positive a1 fades from fade color to r/g/b
// negative a1 fades from r/g/b to fade color
// a2 is alpha for drop down grids
.7,.99,.8,1,1, .99,.79,.99,1,1, .7,.8,.9,1,1, .9,.8,.6,1,1
// accent/offset/control1/control2 background colors r/g/b/a1/a2
// a1/a2 not currently used for acc/off/ctl1/ctl2
1,1,1 // fade from/to color r/g/b
0,0,0,0 // spares
0,0,0,0 // spares
0,0,0,0 // spares
0,0,0,0 // spares
99,111,111,108,45,109,117,108,116,105,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 //name24:cool-multi

//colors - black-multi
.20, .20, .20 // fx window background color r/g/b
.70*1.2, .70*1.2, .70*1.2 // foreground/text color
.9,.8,.6 // control background color rgb
.5, .5, .5, .35 // current step hilight color r/g/b/a
0, 0, 0, .3 // slider bar color rgba
-1,0,0, .6 // dimming color rgba
.90, .90, .90, .95 // selected buttons hilight color r/g/b/a
.7 // 2ndary text alpha
.15 // transp grid white delta: added to white notes r/g/b
1 // transp grid lines brightness
239,114,117,.1,.1, 255,255,255,1,1, .7,.99,.8,1,1, 0,.7,.7,.2,.4, .8,.8,.3,.4,.4 //step/len/gate/vc/tran colors
.7,.99,.8,1,1, .99,.79,.99,1,1, .7,.8,.9,1,1, .9,.8,.6,1,1 // acc/off/ctl1/ctl2 colors
1,1,1 // fade from/to color
0,0,0,0 // spares
0,0,0,0 // spares
0,0,0,0 // spares
0,0,0,0 // spares
98,108,97,99,107,45,109,117,108,116,105,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 //name24:black-multi
Attached Files
File Type: txt arpbangzero_settings.txt (2.8 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by VVV; 03-19-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: my setting
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #311
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV View Post
Off course I do!
i am *so* relieved! :^)

so as a matter of curiosity when you said earlier:
Quote:
"ground" is great now. Thanks
...were you refering to the color scheme named "ground", or to the fx window background?
Quote:
[IMG.../IMG]
I remove numbers and color intensity variation for "lenght" and "gate"
I remove icons for "voices" and "transp"
your screenshot is quite nice. very clean looking.
Quote:
I've tried to change gate and lenght colors but they stay with a white background, don't know why.
assuming you modified the black-multi scheme, you have "239,114,117,.1,.1" for step colors. but the first three values need to be a decimal fraction between 0 and 1. Js data files can use very simple math, so try "239/255,114/255,117/255,.1,.1". also, those a1/a2 transparencies are pretty low, so the color will be mostly the fade color of white at the lowest values. the length color spec has similar problems. let me know if you need more help with this.
Quote:
BTW is it possible to change the default skin?
use "Save preset as default..." which should be one of the options when you click the "+" button right of the preset name in the arp!0 fx window.

thanks for the feedback. enjoy! /dan
Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #312
bang

Default arp!0 - v0.76beta - 20 mar 2012 - to boldly go release

wow. new release. this is quite something i think. or at least my poor, addled brain is telling me so. something about the incremental effort to add features increasing in non-linear ways as the code size grows. anywho...

so, big change is new step types. emphasis on big. here's a bit of screen:

i did update the documentation for this. but i think that needs work. a lot of work maybe. or application notes. or tutorials. or something. there is a "quick" overview below. but i dunno. i'm not sure my words are working very well just now. the executive summary is that the first two rows jump around in the input notes by position. the 3rd row recalls notes from the recent history, which is quite different. the 4th row does random notes and other (very) odd stuff. and the 5th row are "meta" steps which can be added to other step types for special behaviors, including skipping note output. i'll be working on better documentation for this. question are very welcome, and might help a lot.

other than all that, this release also adds the option of increasing the range of the transposition sequence up to 4 octaves. i went with the simplest way of doing this, so it just adds rows to the transp grid, making the height of the gui somewhat large. see the settings page for the relevant options.

i also moved the slider grids around so that the related accent and offset slider grids are one above another. this makes it easier to see when they are in sync or not. and i tweaked the variant program change logic. and i fixed a couple of pretty nasty bugs.

and there we have it. major changes. so i won't be surprised if there are some glitches. feedback please. big tia! and...

enjoy! /dan
____
step types overview:

the first two rows basically let us select notes based on their position in the input sequence. the input note sequence comes from the current input notes, the sort type, any active sort transform, the order type, and the replicant octaves. within that note sequence, the first two rows of sort type jump forward or back by 1, 2, or 3 steps, or jump to the first or last step. the important bit here is that the jumps are based on position. this lets us make various note patterns based on relative positions in the input note sequence.

the 3rd row takes a different approach and selects notes based on the recent history of output notes. these step types select notes from the last 4 generated by arp!0. this is a very useful alternative to selecting notes by their position in the input sequence. but it's a bit hard to describe exactly how this temporal alternative is useful except by examples. that's coming rsn.

the 4th row has a number of special step types. the diamond step type reverses the direction in which the input note sequence is processed. for the bidirectional orders, this just toggles the current direction. for the unidirectional up and down orders, this step type will actually change the current order from up to down and down to up. note that this reverse step will generate a repeat of the previous note, much like the "sticky" up-down and down-up orders do. we can avoid this repeated not using the contract metastep described below.

the next two step types select random notes. the "?" step just plays a random note from anywhere in the input sequence. the "?><" type randomly choose either the next or previous note from the input sequence.

the last type, step operation, is sort of a can of worms i'm afraid. in its simplest form it just jumps back in the step sequence to some earlier step. this allows us to have a set of prefix steps that generate initial seed notes followed by a looping set of steps based on those seed notes. this is essential to create certain kinds of arp patterns. but on top of that "simple" form, i implemented "meta" step operations which make it possible to randomly select various subsets of the entire step sequence. how this works is very hard to describe clearly however. which makes me question how useful it is. i'll work on the docs for that when it's not so late in the day.

the 5th row contains "meta" step types: modifiers which can be added to any of the "normal" types. the first is subtract, or "-", which just inhibits note output for a step.

the next type is contract, or "'", which combines a step with the following step. contracted steps change the input note sequence just as if they occurred normally. but the contracted step outputs no notes, takes no time, and is immediately followed by the next step sequence step. this is extremely useful for making steps which modify a previous step without repeating it. this is another feature that needs examples. rsn!

next is resortx, or "~". this simply triggers an update for any current sort transform, which is useful to update random steps in the transform.

finally we have the section meta type, or ":". this just marks a step as the start of a section, which is then referenced by the step operator type.
_____
release notes:

- finish work on new step types. see updated documentation for details.
- add options to expand transpose range/gui: range can be 24/36/48 semitones. add transpose base option: transpositions can start at -24/-12/0 semitones.
- change positions of slidergrids to align related accent & offset seqs.
- change variant program change logic to support > 8 variants; reset seq positions and don't save changes to previous variant now selected by enabling program changes prior to variant program change; add next & previous variant and play/pause pc's.
- bugfix: bogus unidirectional offset logic
- bugfix: truncated sortx length logic
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 1.51.46 AM.png (9.4 KB, 645 views)

Last edited by bang; 03-20-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: <awk
Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #313
bang

Quote:
[The limited size of code in loops and conditions has] been mentioned occasionally but AFAIK neither Justin or schwa have commented. Justin often fixes JS problems quite quickly if they come to his attention but obviously he's a busy guy, especially with all the new stuff going into the next release. Maybe when 4.20 is out we could ask him to look at removing/expanding the various code size limits.
that's a good idea. 4.20 must be a major brain drain right now.

but head's up to folks about new arp!0 features: this limitation is pretty much blocking any significant additions to the gui right now. the new step types put arp!0 over the limit for the big loop that does all the button grids. it took a pretty ugly and hard to maintain workaround to get it working. so there's just not room for much new stuff right now.

i'm hoping to write up some techniques for doing probabilistic arps with the step sequence. i hope that will suffice until the loop size limit can be resolved.

enjoy! /dan
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #314
IXix

Quote:
the executive summary is that the first two rows jump around in the input notes by position. the 3rd row recalls notes from the recent history, which is quite different. the 4th row does random notes and other (very) odd stuff. and the 5th row are "meta" steps which can be added to other step types for special behaviors, including skipping note output.
You crazy kid! It'll take me weeks to get my head round all these new-fangled steps! Good work. Now have a rest .
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #315
UnderwaterSunlight

Dear Dan,

I will test the latest arp incarnation today or tomorrow. Already very grateful about the step types I tested in 0.75a.

One question remains:
Do you at all use your Reaper installation for something else than developing/testing? Do you sometimes think about actual music making? :-)

Where can I listen to your tracks?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #316
bang

Default arp!0 - v0.77beta - 20 mar 2012 - not infinitely improbable release

so, as i was decompressing last night after the push to release 0.76, i realized i could add an option to use one of the control sequences for step probabilities, with no additional preset data and essentially no additional ui. the additional probability logic itself would be small potatoes. this was just too cool not to do, so here it is. control 2 now sports an "improbability" option instead of the redundant pitch bend. positive values for control 2 are the step improbability, or the probabilility that note output for a step is supressed. but, control 2 can be bipolar, so what about *negative* values? well, negative values are the improbability that the step occurs at all. otherwise the step is skipped, takes no time, and the next step occurs immediately, *if* it also passes the improbability test. this is so it is possible to skip more than one step at a time. i scale the probability down so the cumulative effect is about right i think. but beware negative 100% improbability.

enjoy! /dan
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #317
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderwaterSunlight View Post
One question remains:
Do you at all use your Reaper installation for something else than developing/testing? Do you sometimes think about actual music making? :-)

Where can I listen to your tracks?
ah! actual music making you say? you mean coding arp!0 isn't making music!? my rather insistent Muse might beg to differ. :^)

philosophy aside, arp!0 is one key element of a musical environment i am building/evolving with the intent of easing the process of making tangible music. but that environment is still in the early stages as i come back up to emusic speed after a number of years working on live acoustic music chops. so i don't have a lot out there at present. there are just a few rough/unfinished musical sketches and songs at a tumblr i use for sharing semi-significant bits and musings. you are welcome to check it out at bangzero.tumblr.com. thanks for your interest.

enjoy! /dan
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #318
bang

hey! how about another bit of arp!0-musik! this one features the new step improbability option on top of a highly mangled sort transform. enjoy! /dan

ps- thanks again to chardin for the inspiring ideas/links.

Last edited by bang; 03-20-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: +thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #319
VVV

Quote:
hey! how about another bit of arp!0-musik! this one features the new step improbability option on top of a highly mangled sort transform. enjoy! /dan

ps- thanks again to chardin for the inspiring ideas/links.
I like it.
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #320
UnderwaterSunlight

the track "pf-arpoh-beat" is very fascinating. which synth have you used ?

however, i can't get your tracks at "bangzero.tumblr.com" to play - all i get is an error message when i click the play icon.