Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Twangothan
Human being with feelings

Default Midi CC messages - basics?

I want to get more out of my soft synths - e.g. The Arturia Analogue Lab, Moog etc. I know you can automate CC messages in the midi editor.....but when I draw curves in, nothing happens. I think basically I just don't know where to start! I know there are standard CC messages....then others which are used in different ways. I'm happy tweaking synths beyond the presets, but I'd like to get into more automation of parameters.

So what I need is a bit of an intro to how it works, what you can do to set it up, and how you get to know how a specific instrument works. I know there are tools in Reaper for analysing midi....which ones should I be using for which jobs?

Sorry this is a bit of a real noob question....by all means point me to other threads or resources!

Many thanks
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I want to get more out of my soft synths - e.g. The Arturia Analogue Lab, Moog etc.

I'm happy tweaking synths beyond the presets, but I'd like to get into more automation of parameters.
"3.2.11.2 Reserved MIDI CC numbers Certain MIDI Continuous Controller (MIDI CC) numbers are reserved and cannot be reassigned to other controls.
These are: 
PitchBend 
Ctrl Mod Wheel (CC #1) 
Ctrl Expression (CC #11) 
After Touch 
Ctrl Sustain On/Off (CC #64) 
Ctrl All Notes Off (CC #123)
All other MIDI CC numbers may be used to control any assignable parameter in Analog Lab"
^Pg#20.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
Twangothan

Yes but what do I do with this information?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
solger

Search for info about MIDI messages in general. Just as example:

- https://www.midi.org/articles/about-...-midi-messages
- https://www.midi.org

Info about MIDI messages assigned to specific plugin functions are usually explained in more detail in the plugin manual or documentation (in case they are not already self-explanatory due to the naming)

Also check out chapter 13.7 Control Change Messages (and the following chapters) in the Reaper User Guide.

Last edited by solger; 06-16-2017 at 12:01 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #5
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Heyllo-well you could always >use it?
There is choices of how you like to do stuff-when you add a vst instrument for eg,you can either use the midi editor cc's or goto track envelopes and use them to control the same/+\- parameters on your vst devices.
They both pretty much do the same jobs,but the envelopes are visually interpolated:ie:bezier curves.
The midi editor is visually a more 'stepped approach' between points(levels of info.)
There is also parameter modulators-which can control same params,or added to active cc's or envelope lane automations ect etc.

So lets say you want to control a cutoff filter-this might be already be mapped to cc71 or w/e on your plugin,or it may not be activated until you select that to happen.
Make senses? yes!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
For example: In Arturia Prophet V, the filter cutoff knob is assigned to CC74. To find other CC numbers, click on the MIDI plug icon in the top right corner of the Arturia GUI, it will highlight all the controllable bits, and when you click on one of the knobs a pop-up will display some information about which CC is assigned, and what the min & max values are.

Open the MIDI editor (ME) with a clip that is triggering the Arturia. At the bottom left of the ME window, there is a drop down box where you can select the CC number. It defaults to Velocity.

If you select CC74, you can draw events in the CC area. On playback, this will control the amount of filter cutoff.

Personally, I prefer to assign a controller from my keyboard and record the automation, rather than the CC.. but your mileage may vary

Cheers
Rob
Old 06-18-2017, 02:14 AM   #7
Twangothan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Heyllo-well you could always >use it?
There is choices of how you like to do stuff-when you add a vst instrument for eg,you can either use the midi editor cc's or goto track envelopes and use them to control the same/+\- parameters on your vst devices.
They both pretty much do the same jobs,but the envelopes are visually interpolated:ie:bezier curves.
The midi editor is visually a more 'stepped approach' between points(levels of info.)
There is also parameter modulators-which can control same params,or added to active cc's or envelope lane automations ect etc.

So lets say you want to control a cutoff filter-this might be already be mapped to cc71 or w/e on your plugin,or it may not be activated until you select that to happen.
Make senses? yes!
Yep understood. That's half full, thanks!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #8
Twangothan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobU View Post
For example: In Arturia Prophet V, the filter cutoff knob is assigned to CC74. To find other CC numbers, click on the MIDI plug icon in the top right corner of the Arturia GUI, it will highlight all the controllable bits, and when you click on one of the knobs a pop-up will display some information about which CC is assigned, and what the min & max values are.

Open the MIDI editor (ME) with a clip that is triggering the Arturia. At the bottom left of the ME window, there is a drop down box where you can select the CC number. It defaults to Velocity.

If you select CC74, you can draw events in the CC area. On playback, this will control the amount of filter cutoff.

Personally, I prefer to assign a controller from my keyboard and record the automation, rather than the CC.. but your mileage may vary

Cheers
Rob
Thanks Rob that is really interesting. I'm not in front of Reaper at the moment but that info sounds exactly what I need so I shall try it soonest. Cheers!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
Thanks Rob that is really interesting. I'm not in front of Reaper at the moment but that info sounds exactly what I need so I shall try it soonest. Cheers!
YW.

If you do decide to go down the CC route, I highly recommend Julian's CC scripts, they add a lot of very cool functionality
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177437

They're available via ReaPack, a Reaper extension by cfillion
https://reapack.com/ (there's a ton of really cool stuff in there too...)

Cheers