Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-29-2021, 04:46 AM   #1
ajawamnet
Human being with feelings

Default anyone seen this - 13 Reasons Why PRO TOOLS is BETTER than REAPER

I searched - I'd figure someone else probably already posted this...

This is F'ing hilarious

This needs to be a Sticky...

Last edited by ajawamnet; 09-29-2021 at 05:10 AM.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
DogBBQ

He didn't mention how lame it is to be able to make a portable version of Reaper so easily
DogBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:59 AM   #3
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBBQ View Post
He didn't mention how lame it is to be able to make a portable version of Reaper so easily
it's a f**kin outrage how easy that is..
Old 09-30-2021, 03:24 AM   #4
sockmonkey72

Yeah I don't know. Aren't there enough "Reaper is cheap and better, better, better, and cheap!" videos out there? Is being a sarcastic knob a good marketing strategy?

I personally wish there were more videos about solving problems with REAPER, and fewer about REAPER as a lifestyle choice.
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
fewer about REAPER as a lifestyle choice.
you're right – Reaper is more of a religion or cult than a mere "lifestyle choice"
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
bigtop

It’s a free world. If folks want to use pt then good for them. When I used it it was ok but only 24 tracks and I had to use the mbox dongle. Need more tracks. Spend more money.

My poor old puter would regularly shit itself trying not to choke on pt.

Then I discovered REAPER.

No going back.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
It’s a free world. If folks want to use pt then good for them. When I used it it was ok but only 24 tracks and I had to use the mbox dongle. Need more tracks. Spend more money.

My poor old puter would regularly shit itself trying not to choke on pt.

Then I discovered REAPER.

No going back.
I like REAPER, too. I will probably stick with it, moving over from Logic. I haven't used Pro Tools in 20 years, and I'm certainly not going to start now.

I still think watching the same 3 guys jerk each other off about how CHEAP and custom and unlimited and CHEAP and *splurt* REAPER is gets old and doesn't reflect well on the software. Just my 2c.
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
ajawamnet

I think you guys are missing the point. Really watch and listen to his item 13 at the end.

One of the main issues with the current software offerings - from DAW's to engineering software - is that it is currently written by a lot of Man bun Java Jockey Pitiful Python Pirates that are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Jumping on a bandwagon 'cause it's "cool"

Justin, on the other hand, has my total respect. A guy that loves what he's doing - does it for the right reason of really wanting to do it - and makes a killer product.

See this:

at 3:50 Where Justin states:
"when I left [AOL after they bought Winamp], I came away from it wanting to avoid that in the future; wanting to just make things for the sake of making them .. and not have to constantly justify everything with business decisions/motivations. The ability to just make software for the purpose of making it... for the end goal of making something that's really powerful and enjoyable to use"

THIS is what makes the difference. THIS is why Reaper is so good. Yea, there's other DAWs out there.

I used SAW back in the 1990's - it was fast. Just like ORCAD SDT386 was - written in 808x assembly and fast as all hell.

I've used may different DAWS - going back to Roger Nichols, with what I call the first DAW-like lunchbox PC Wendel - http://rogernichols.com/wendel (again written in assembly)

I'm currently remixing stuff in Sonar 8.5 which I used quite frequently back in my ProTools days. Not so much fun. My drummer tried using Protools and after 4 months just threw it out. He was doing sessions for a heavy metal label and the "They use Protools" kinda reason. What a mess.

My coders had a saying back then "Real Programmers Code in Assembly." And I don't say men 'cause the person that actually coined the phrase "Software Engineer" was Margaret Hamilton - one of the main coders that made the Apollo program possible. See this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margar...ware_engineer))

And for fun - see how they "wrote code" back then -

I've been dealing with hardware and software development since the late 1970's. Back then, you could tell that people were doing things for the right reasons - a true love of what they did. Nowadays the majority go into it 'cause mommy said STEM is better than being an archeologist or whatever. I deal with this right now with my day job. I was a major part of what won an award for delivering a system to the US Gov't that came in at 20% of what they thought, months ahead of schedule, with more capability that first theorized ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...W_Dragon_Spear and https://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Articl...j-perry-award/ )

The reason we were able to do that is due to the lead engineers actually giving a F' on what they do - they love designing stuff. They live, breathe, and eat it. They don't care about wealth or fame - they have very taoist tendencies without even knowing it.

The Story of the Woodcarver comes to mind:

>From an interview by Scott London with Stephen Mitchell:
http://www.scottlondon.com/interviews/mitchell.html

"Mitchell: There's a wonderful story about that in The Second Book of the Tao.
It goes like this:

Ch'ing the master woodworker carved a bell stand so intricately graceful that all who saw it were astonished. They thought that a god must have made it.
The Marquis of Lu asked, "How did your art achieve something of such unearthly beauty?"

"My Lord," Ch'ing said, "I'm just a simple woodworker — I don’t know anything about art. But here’s what I can tell you. Whenever I begin to carve a bell
stand, I concentrate my mind.

After three days of meditating, I no longer have any thoughts of praise or blame. After five days, I no longer have any thoughts of success or failure.
After seven days, I'm not identified with a body.

All my power is focused on my task; there are no distractions. At that point, I enter the mountain forest. I examine the trees until exactly the right one
appears. If I can see a bell stand inside it, the real work is done, and all I have to do is get started. Thus I harmonize inner and outer. That's why people
think that my work must be superhuman."

This is what makes the difference between what Justin does at Reaper and what the other DAWS have become - a bloated mess of a source tree that no one anymore has a real clue as to how it's supposed to work.

This is endemic and is following - software-wise - in the footsteps of the guy that invented the IC chip - Jack Kilby. His fear of the "Tyranny of Numbers" in the way all the electronics manufacturers were "jumping on the band wagon" without any real, solid understanding - which comes from a true love of what you do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_numbers

THIS is the problem. This is why Reaper is 14 MEGA bytes and the others are a bloated POS. As I mentioned I've seen this in the 100 or so engineering packages that I use everyday. A bunch of shiny shit they add just to try and lure customers - stuff that no one wants and is there for Business Justification.

For example, I was one of Solidworks first customers in 1995. I've been doing 3D printing since 1996 - see my webpage on the IoT thing I have patent on from 1995 - http://www.ajawamnet.com/amnet/index.html

So there's a vid on youboob that compares Solidworks 1995 to Solidworks 2012 (and it really hasn't gotten any better since - in fact it's worse and more buggy).

Note that you can do 90% of what the latest bloated POS does in that older version. I lived in NE at the time when SW was based in Boston. Those guys gave a rat's ass about what they did. They coded for the right reasons. They thought a better parametric modeler COULD be possible and set out to do it. And they did.

So when you watch that vid, REALLY LISTEN to what he's talking about. It's not some fan boy BS, it goes a lot deeper than that.

And if you want vids for solving problems with a suite of software you can't get much better than Kenny's Reaper Mania on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/c/REAPERMania/videos In one of his latest vids he talks about how he works for Cockos and how those guys are just an amazing bunch that even let him mispronounce "REA..."

Cockos doesn't run on marketturds. It's based on a true love. One weekend a short time ago I came across a bug. Justin was on it over the weekend and had a fix in days.

THAT's the difference. That's what distinguishes Cockos from the other guys. That dedication; that motivation.

With my CAD and EDA stuff - software I've used for over 3 decades - I've seen it dissolve into a confunction of silly, where it takes them weeks just to recognize they hosed up what was working features - mainly due to a desire to "Increase the bottom line" - by pushing bugs around.

See this vid here that kinda explains it - what the software industry has become
https://www.facebook.com/wayne.mitze...4714290368622/ NOTE: you don't have to be a Facecrack user to watch it.

Sorry for the long response...

http://www.ajawamnet.com
http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawamnet/marketturd.htm

Last edited by ajawamnet; 10-02-2021 at 08:31 AM.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote