Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
hermitcrab
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone on Lion 10.7.5 ?

Hi,

If anyone is on Lion 10.7.5 and using reaper I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if you experience any problems with stability , crashes, crackles, pops etc.

I've been trying to get this system running for a long while but experience problems constantly, particularly with plugins. I've tried various things but there are so many variables ( drivers, plugins, reaper set up) I am finding it hard to narrow down what is causing the issues. I still have problems when just using the default mac driver so The drivers may not be the problem. The transport bar flashes red a lot of the time and it is just unstable, with even reaper plugins not working at all some of the time - js major tom not working now, and even cockos plugins ( ReaEQ, ReaVerb, ReaDelay ) don't seem to have either PDC working when riding faders or muting, unmuting. This may be due to the OSX latency problem though instead of PDC as that is due to be improved with update 4.78 but I don't know.

I am currently on reaper v 4.77. I have been updating versions of Reaper since v4.73 as soon as a new version comes out in the hope that it solves the issues but no joy thus far.

I am not great with computers in general but I try and have had some great help here from experienced users but problems still occur. I fear I may need to completely change my system to cubase and pc and get a new interface as both my interfaces are no longer supported. I used to work on a friends system with that set up and it was pretty much flawless in the few years I used it.

Financially, I would love to get this system working instead of a major change as I am comfortable with reaper now after spending many months learning it.

I am just trying to find out if the problems are due to the OSX version not playing well with reaper or whether it is something I have done. I am suspecting it is the OS but I would love to be wrong about that so if anyone uses 10.7.5 without issues then please let me know.

All the best.

Last edited by hermitcrab; 04-15-2015 at 06:50 AM.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
mikemax

I've been using 10.7.5 for ages with no problems until today..video issues at the moment..
mikemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
hermitcrab

Somebody else does use it !

Thanks for the reply mikemax and sorry to hear you are having problems now. I have not used video on reaper unfortunately but hopefully someone else may have help.

Have you had no trouble with latency whilst mixing please ? ( not related to audio device settings in reaper or interface latency i think as it occurs when using default audio device. Things like live channel muting and fader rises being greatly delayed and reaper included plugin problems ).

Some people on yosemite seem to be having this latency issue also :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=157242

The latency is the biggest problem for me and there is a core audio latency fix upcoming but i don't know if it relates to this.

Do you have any tips at all related to how you set reaper up to work in 10.7.5 please ? If you changed any preferences from default set up i would greatly appreciate knowing what you did thanks.

Did you have any issues with set up and find work arounds or fixes please ?

I would love to know what is causing this issue.

Many thanks

cheers

Last edited by hermitcrab; 04-26-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
mikemax

I fixed my video problems. I've not encountered any annoying latency or lag.
My only tip at the moment is if using video don't upgrade VLC to the latest version...this broke my set up..
Took me a day to figure out i needed to go back to VLC 2.1.5 (reaper accesses VLC for video playback, works great)

If you're interested my set up is

Mid 2011 MacMini i5
OSX Lion 10.7.5
8GB ram
internal SSD
external usb2 scratch drive (for audio and video)
Latest version of reaper (64bit)

I also run Reaper64 on my ...
2006 Macbook..
intel core2duo 2Ghz
internal SSD

sorry i can't shed any more light on your latency issues...
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #5
hermitcrab

Thanks Max and glad you got sorted.

Not to worry with my problem, it's just nice to hear someone doesn't have the same issues as me, which is suggesting a problem with my OS perhaps. I 'll take it as a positive anyway !

I have got rid of google chrome but i think i need to get rid of all 3rd party software that i can ( spotify is next to go ) and see if that helps.

Then it might be time for the dreaded fresh install

cheers
Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #6
mikemax

well I use Spotify regularly. I also have chrome installed but don't use it much. Have you tried a clean install of Lion?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #7
serr

When I tried Chrome out a couple years ago, it also installed an alleged update app. It did not announce this extra install and further hid the thing many folders deep in the Library and then hidden in a bundle. It tried to call home literally every 20 minutes.

Caught it with Little Snitch.
That's how you get your software removed instantly and piss me off enough to never consider it again!

Probably more sloppy than malicious. The point though is to make sure you don't have anything sloppy like that running and getting in the way of critical audio software by constantly trying to call home.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
hermitcrab

Hi Mike and Serr,

Many thanks for helping.

I think a clean install of lion might be the next step thanks. Haven't a clue how to do this or how it affects my current time machine backups or any of it, but i think i will slowly have to learn this stuff. I am embarrassingly bad with computers

Regarding reaper, is it possible to keep current version and install the new version when it arrives please ? ( i thought i read someone doing this and it seems like a good idea if the new one has problems ).

cheers

Last edited by hermitcrab; 04-27-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post
Hi Mike and Serr,

Many thanks for helping.

I think a clean install of lion might be the next step thanks. Haven't a clue how to do this or how it affects my current time machine backups or any of it, but i think i will slowly have to learn this stuff. I am embarrassingly bad with computers

Regarding reaper, is it possible to keep current version and install the new version when it arrives please ? ( i thought i read someone doing this and it seems like a good idea if the new one has problems ).

cheers
Start using Carbon Copy Cloner for backups. Makes 1:1 clones (and other options). That means a clone of your system disc is an exact copy down to the last bit that boots and everything.

That means you now have a magic 'reset' button for your OSX system if something goes wrong with an 'experiment'.

Clean install?
Simple. Erase and format the drive. Install OSX.
You'll need to boot from one of your backup system volumes of course. (I hope it's obvious that you can't erase the system you are currently running from. ) Note that the installer will do an update install if you don't erase your current system first. It only does a clean install if you point it to a freshly formatted blank drive.

Consider cloning the new system you are building after every 'milestone' of installs and configurations. Again, the magic reset button. You'll save many hours of your time. You can clone to a disc image file if you don't have a spare volume available (but realize that disc image files are not bootable - you'd need to then clone it back to a free volume to boot).

One thing about Apple...
They are absolutely awful at keeping older versions of various OS stuff available. It's almost like they never even considered rebuilding an older system. That means you should keep a folder of older system installers you might need.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
hermitcrab

Hi Serr,

I had forgotten about CCC. I will get it and then do this.

i have noticed that about apple too

When you have erased and formatted the drive where do you get the fresh OSX for install please ?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited by hermitcrab; 04-27-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post
When you have erased and formatted the drive where do you get the fresh OSX for install please ?

Thanks a lot !
You have to have saved the one you downloaded when you installed it the first time. (See, that's what I was talking about with Apple's amnesia. They only remember what they just made.)

It's probably out there somewhere on the internets. PM me if you can't find it.

Have the installer in hand and your system drive cloned to a backup drive before starting. You'll be booted off the backup volume when you wipe and install to your main drive (which forces the backup clone issue).
Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #12
hermitcrab

Ah i didn't do that.

Thanks very much for the help here and sorry if i get confused what you say.

I found this download but i don't know what 'client combo' means ? ;

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1582?locale=en_US

This mentions Mac OS X Lion comes with a built-in recovery disk that you can use to reinstall Mac OS X but i don't understand it :

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH3878?...ewlocale=en_US

Will this just point you to download the latest OSX or is it a fresh lion inside my mac please ?

Many thanks.

Last edited by hermitcrab; 04-28-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
serr

The 'recovery partition' is a light weight base system in a virtual volume on the drive.

Bottom line, the only way to get a clean install is to erase the drive first.
The installer defaults to 'update' when you point it at an existing system.

Further, trying to 'upgrade' to an older system (ie. running the installer for an older OSX than is currently installed) will screw up. Again with Apple acting unaware that they ever released the previous system - there is literally no error trapping for that. It's just left to crash.

Yes, they point you to the latest OSX installer which is currently 10.10.

So...
Clean install or installing an older system requires erasing the drive first. Just do a fresh format.

Do you have a 2nd drive suitable for a system drive available? Like something on the internal SATA bus - at least a 7200rpm HDD?
If so, just build the new/clean system on that.

If you only have a single internal SSD or 7200rpm HDD for a system and any extra drives you have are external USB, it would be a moot point to test a new system on a slow slow external.
But you can certainly run your current system from an external to do maintenance work like this. Fire up CCC and clone your current system (worts and all) to a free external. Now boot from the external. When you get comfortable that you can just clone a system back and forth, wipe the main drive and install away.

Last edited by serr; 04-28-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #14
hermitcrab

Hi Serr,

Thank you very much for explaining this. Very kind of you, and I understand it !

Sorry for delayed reply ( been ill ).

Just got Reaper 4.78 but the core audio latency fix hasn't solved the latency issues i have. It seems to be due to PDC like you said earlier as it is fine without plugins.

Going to try a system rebuild if i can.

It seems apple really don't want you to keep going on older OS's.

Many thanks

Last edited by hermitcrab; 05-05-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
Corto59

Hi there hermit crab ;
as far as I can see you never told us about your hardware… …?

I have found Reaper nice and stable on Lion on both my MacPro 2 x 2,26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon and my old MacBookPro 17" 2006 - worked like a dream.
But now that I have modernized to Yosemite on same MacPro but new MacBookPro, I am having several issues (maybe talk about that in another thread…), and when I really need to get the job done I go back to my Lion installation on the MacPro.

Depending on what hardware you're using, I reckon a clean install is a very good idea. The OS does get clogged up and the system bogs down, despite any amount of repairing permissions, and other maintenance like CleanMyMac and Onyx etc.

But one thing you should look out for is a failing hard drive ; sometimes a HD can still look operational but in fact be failing, and this destroys the response of the whole machine.
Corto59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto59 View Post
and other maintenance like CleanMyMac and Onyx etc
FYI, stay away from those apps!

There are no 3rd party apps that will 'speed up', 'clean up', 'optimize', etc, etc, etc your Mac. Not one. No exceptions.

Anything that claims to is either outright malicious (eg. MacKeeper, CryptoLocker), or just some crude thing written by someone who just wanted to see their awesome app on the screen (not realizing it wasn't needed or worse they "cleaned" an OS file they didn't understand).

If you've installed ANY of this crap, you need to dig through your System and Library folders and remove all the kernel extensions, launch agents, preferences, etc. Stuff could be trying to call home every 30 seconds. This stuff can grind your machine to a halt pretty quickly.

DO NOT RUN THEIR UNINSTALLER APP!! Guess what... It's not really an uninstaller and now you have even more things to remove!

Last edited by serr; 05-05-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
cyrano

Why not mention the few good ones:

- Northern Softworks' Cache Cleaner is one of the trusted ones. It can be useful in the rare occasion something gets stuck in the cache. The demo really does all you need. Lately, they've included anti-virus scanning. But it's only on-demand scanning. So no background tasks that always break something.
http://www.northernsoftworks.com/yos...hecleaner.html

- Prosoft Engineering's Data Rescue if you ever need to recover a faulty harddisk. The demo will tell you if files are recoverable.
http://www.prosofteng.com/

- Anything from Marcel Bresink if you ever need one of these tools:
http://www.bresink.com/products.html

All of the above are occasional trouble shooting tools. Not regular maintenance!

And please try to avoid downloads from cnet, softonic, sourceforge or any other aggregator. All of these have been caught spreading crapware as a wrapper around software written by others.

All of these are available to everyone on the net, not just appstore users.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:40 AM   #18
hermitcrab

Hi Corto59,

I am on a mid 2011 MacBook Air, 1.7 ghz i5, 4 gb ram. Not ideal but will replace it when I can afford to as my interfaces are no longer supported.

The problems occur without FireWire interfaces connected but these are mackie onlyx 1620 fw and focusrite saffire pro 26 I/o.

I am now pretty sure it's the OS as it is slow and jittery with all other applications now too. I had not realised this before but I think this has also been the case for a good while. I have used it solid for over 4 years on the internet.

Thanks for help

Cheers
Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #19
hermitcrab

Hi Serr,

PM sent

Cheers
Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #20
serr

Check out Little Snitch. https://www.obdev.at/products/little.../download.html It runs for 2 hours and shuts off until a restart in demo mode. More than enough time (for free) to see if you have anything installed that's slowing down your machine by calling home a lot (like that Google Chrome updater app for example). Maybe you just have a thing or two you could shut down and remove.

This one app is what you need and all you need for network security.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #21
grinder

While you guy's are on this I have a friend who has an iMac software Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) 3GB Ram The experts put a new HD in and now the Logic Pro in it is all over the place and needs an update which is not affordable.
My Question.. I see putting a Reaper Mac version in should work how do the vst's get into the mix and are vst's able to be brought into play I am unfamiliar with Mac's. He likes midi-synths etc
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #22
grinder

Found what I needed thanks

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote