Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Jeffos
Mortal

Default S&M Live Configs - Extension for live performers

EDIT 7 jan. 2013: Big overhaul of the Live Configs in SWS/S&M extension v2.3.0 #9 (beta ATM, download here)
The user guide is totally outdated. I will update that when I can, in the meantime I removed the outdated PDF => download will fail! New features are shortly described here.
_______

The Live Configs is part of the SWS/S&M extension. Download the lastest version here.

I made a little user manual about Live Configs: download PDF.

Live Configs!? What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the PDF
The "Live Configs" is a tool made for live performers.

As the wording "live" is used for very different things, the scope of this tool/document can be simply clarified:
- Sound engineers mixing a band (or something) live
- "Playback-based" software, like live step sequencers, etc..
- Using the computer as an FX processor, just like a pedal effect <- here we are: on stage!

.. so we do not care about the keyboard, the mouse or things like that. We just want to plug things, boot the computer and play the guitar (or keys or both: it works the same for audio and MIDI).
We just need a MIDI controller to change "configs" while playing: a fader, a knob, an expression pedal or +/- pedals.
"Changing configs" means changing effects (VST/VSTi, AU, ..), FX presets, routings, triggering actions, etc…. well, anything but in a smooth and glitch-free way.

It might be useful other people too: it is not clearly said in the PDF but the tool can also just be used to trigger actions. The difference with standard macros is that you can use absolute values of learned CC messages. Example: CC#4 value 10 -> do this, CC#4 value 11 -> do that, etc..

Feel free to post feedback or questions if the PDF is not clear enough (e.g. sucky English) !

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-11-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: BIG overhaul but outdated PDF user manual
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
moliere
Human being with feelings

Damn that looks cool...
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Anton9

Hey Jeffos,

Good job on the pdf! I was wondering something.., in the pdf it says this, "On WindowsOS, a command “Learn from Actions window” is available in the context menu" I am on Windows and I don't see this command in the context menu. I'm using v2.1.0 #28.., is the command in this version or is it in an upcoming version?

Also noticed when right clicking on a cell under "Acivate action" and selecting "Edit" it opens the cell under "FX user presets" instead. If I do the same under "Deactivate action" it opens the cell under "Activate action" for editing.

Cheers

Last edited by Anton9; 02-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Good job on the pdf! I was wondering something.., in the pdf it says this, "On WindowsOS, a command “Learn from Actions window” is available in the context menu" I am on Windows and I don't see this command in the context menu. I'm using v2.1.0 #28.., is the command in this version or is it in an upcoming version?
Hi Anton! yes, the doc is ahead of the code, that must be a first!
I have not yet pushed these updates in the SWS extension: coming soon..
EDIT: minor updates around GUI (same "MIDI core"). It was just really time to publish some doc!

That's also why the pdf deals with an imaginary v2.1.0 #30 which is a version that does not exist yet!
Quote:
Also noticed when right clicking on a cell under "Acivate action" and selecting "Edit" it opens the cell under "FX user presets" instead. If I do the same under "Deactivate action" it opens the cell under "Activate action" for editing.
yep, known and fixed too! coming soon..

Last edited by Jeffos; 02-04-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
XITE-1/4LIVE

Just saw this and dl'd it immediately, and thank you so much.
I use a config nobody else uses but a few guys who don't spend much time forum-izing.
Now we even have a thread.
I hope ypou don;t mind but I will posting with many questions very soon.
I was going to buy a MIDI Temp set up but Reaper is my last chance for software live.
It's stable as hell so that's a good start.

Thanks 4 Your efforts and time...

CiaoMein
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
tweed

woohoo. getting it.

plus, happy to hear about forthcoming update for functionality ... and lots to be happily doing until then. maximum magical!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
andrew737

Default S&M LiveConfig and cycling through vsti with 1 button

Hi to all!
I've past the last two days trying to understand how to cycling through the lines in the liveconfig (using multi sessions of the same vsti) with a simple pedal or a button in the midi controller... any advice to how to do that?

[IMG]http://img843.**************/img843/5166/32787954.jpg[/IMG]

If it's not possible, there are others ways to do it? for example the snapshots works fine... but the switching is really slow, i need to change sounds in a live situation, so... faster is better
Thanks!! And sorry for my bad english!
Greetings from Italy!
andrew737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Mr. Data

Hi Andrew and welcome to Reaperland!

A while ago I tried this as well, but it didn't work out like I wanted it to do. The structure and way it works is, unlike most other things in Reaper and its extensions, all but self-explanatory. After fiddling hours I managed to get some results but not with Program Change messages, as it should be IMO, but with changing some Controller.

Now I opened the window again and I regret to say, I'm as clueless as you.

Not much of a help, eh?

Sorry.

-Data
Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
BenK-msx

hi, there are actions that select the config -

in actions (hit '?' ) search 'config' and those are a set for going to next/previous within each 'bank' of 8.

however also to the top right of the actions window, at the 'section' drop down box, change that from 'main' to 's&m extensions'...

then the list will update to show the live config 'midi' only assignable actions, that once assigned let you cycle to specific configs #'s using one midi controller CC. that could also be what you're after.

Jeffos may come and explain all, he wanted swift changes so its possible. cheers.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 06-27-2012 at 08:09 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
andrew737

Thanks for the welcome, and... OMG it's working Those damn "config" command are well hidden! And the switching is fast enough too!
1000 times thankyou
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
andrew737

Can I set a challenge? the switching works perfect, but if I load too many vsti it's kinda saturate the RAM... It would be perfect if i could set all the fx offline except the one i'm using and the next one (like a preload), and the "next" button automatically puts the next on "preload" and the previous one on "offline" :S
For example,
CC Value 000: fx 01 and fx 02 online, and 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline
CC Value 001: fx 02 and fx 03 online, and 1,4,5,6,7,8 offline
CC Value 002: fx 03 and fx 04 online, and 1,2,5,6,7,8 offline
And so on

I've tried to build a custom action, but the rule affect only the selected track, even if I set (on the same action) all the others on offline

I keep trying in the meantime

You rock! \m/
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #12
Jeffos
Mortal

EDIT: forget that (there is a learn button + integrated preload since SWS/S&M extension v2.3.0 #9) /EDIT
____

BenK was on spot! And yeah.. I know.. Those actions are well "hidden", this is due some tech constraints (API limitation) but I'll simplify that soon thanks to a new "Learn" button.
I made a little PDF to explain such things BTW: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96289 (may be a better place to discuss this tool too)
Rmk: I really have to update this doc though! Full support for OSX , AWESOME improvement since REAPER v4.20 (that makes it possible to apply track template/fx chains files in a glitch-free way too -wicked if combined with SSD drives), etc..

About the "challenge":
You are not the first one to talk about a "preload" thingy. That probably means I should do something about it but, to me, the pb is that the idea itself has a flaw: if you want to preload something, it implicitely means you already know what config (instrument) you will use next, i.e. you would have to use configs in some ordered way, like ascending CC values 007, then 008, 009, etc..

In my vision, the tool is made to switch from any config to any other, in any order. Configs can be "cumulative" too so you will not want all tracks but the active to be set offline in such cases (ex: 072 enables a looper, 003 piano (1st loop), 011 rhodes (2nd loop), 073 disable/mute looper, well.. that kind of stuff..)

Anyway, about your question, when you say:
Quote:
CC Value 000: fx 01 and fx 02 online, and 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline
CC Value 001: fx 02 and fx 03 online, and 1,4,5,6,7,8 offline
are you saying?
CC Value 000: fx 01 and fx 02 online, and 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline for the same track X ? (<- I would not recommend that personnaly!)
or
CC Value 000: fxs of track 01 and fxs of track 02 online, and FXs of tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline ?

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-11-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: make it clear it's outdated info
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
andrew737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
BenK was on spot! And yeah.. I know.. Those actions are well "hidden", this is due some tech constraints (API limitation) but I'll simplify that soon thanks to a new "Learn" button.
I made a little PDF to explain such things BTW: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96289 (may be a better place to discuss this tool too)
Rmk: I really have to update this doc though! Full support for OSX , AWESOME improvement since REAPER v4.20 (that makes it possible to apply track template/fx chains files in a glitch-free way too -wicked if combined with SSD drives), etc..

About the "challenge":
You are not the first one to talk about a "preload" thingy. That probably means I should do something about it but, to me, the pb is that the idea itself has a flaw: if you want to preload something, it implicitely means you already know what config (instrument) you will use next, i.e. you would have to use configs in some ordered way, like ascending CC values 007, then 008, 009, etc..

In my vision, the tool is made to switch from any config to any other, in any order. Configs can be "cumulative" too so you will not want all tracks but the active to be set offline in such cases (ex: 072 enables a looper, 003 piano (1st loop), 011 rhodes (2nd loop), 073 disable/mute looper, well.. that kind of stuff..)

are you saying?
CC Value 000: fx 01 and fx 02 online, and 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline for the same track X ? (<- I would not recommend that personnaly!)
or
CC Value 000: fxs of track 01 and fxs of track 02 online, and FXs of tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline ?
Thanks for the answer boss
I understand what are you saying, doing something like my idea it's kinda limitating for the real potentiality of the program! So, the fastest way (with a restrained use of RAM)to switch through a sound to an other with the same vsti is doing it on the same track?

And yes, I meant
CC Value 000: fxs of track 01 and fxs of track 02 online, and FXs of tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline

Thanks for clarifying my ideas!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post

About the "challenge":

are you saying?
or
Thanks Jeffos!

That's a big help.

-Data
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Jeffos
Mortal

EDIT: forget that! (there is an integrated preload since SWS/S&M extension v2.3.0 #9) /EDIT
____

thanks Mr Data and sorry for the laaaate reply andrew737..
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew737 View Post
So, the fastest way (with a restrained use of RAM)to switch through a sound to an other with the same vsti is doing it on the same track?
er.. not sure I follow you but yes, if you can only switch fx presets of that VSTi, that is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew737 View Post
And yes, I meant
CC Value 000: fxs of track 01 and fxs of track 02 online, and FXs of tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8 offline
Ok! The other option at fx level would be possible too but probably slow..
So, in this case you need a macro like this "Online next live config":

.. and you use it in the column "Activate action" (+ offline in the column "Dectivate action") like that:

^^ I have made a basic example where the same track 3 is used in 3 different configs (say, to swicth 3 different FX presets) so that you can really see where to online/offline things.
That should get you started for more "advanced" configs: the only thing to know about Activate/Deactivate actions is that >only< the related track will be selected when they are performed, that helps.
And, as discussed above, this quick macro example implies you will switch configs in ascending order (and on ascending tracks).
__

I am thinking to add a real "preload" feature.. Probably 2 new options Offline all but active/near config tracks and Offline all but active track (requires preload).
But I'll detail that later in the "main" thread (needs tests in rehearsal conditions first!), your inputs/ideas will be welcome there BTW! Or.. would you be OK if I ask a moderator to merge this discussion in that thread (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96289) ? useful tips here!

Last edited by Jeffos; 03-11-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: make it clear it's outdated info
Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #16
andrew737

Thanks again, you are the man!! I'm going to try this config. as soon as i can!
I'm with you for the merging of the posts
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Breeder

This is great! Thanks! I played a bit with it now and these are the things I miss. I'm just thinking out loud...
  • Maybe each live config could get it's own edit field for CC_DELAY instead of a global CC_DELAY in .ini file

• Copy/paste (in the same config and between various configs) could also be wonderful

• Multiple tracks in track field with some kind of tags for muting/selecting. So with just one press you could mute tracks 3,4,5, unmute tracks 1,2 and select track 1.
    Maybe just create 3 new colums - mute/unmute/select and add tracks there.

• Actions that cycle through CC rows that are populated. At the moment I'm using cycle actions editor with actions to activate next/previous. But it's far from perfect because I have to edit it every time I add a new CC field and make sure to select a correct first CC row before using it. Plus, those actions cycle through all CC rows, not the ones that are populated.

It would also be nice if cockos implemented some kind of option for mute button that would first mute the input and then wait for the track to output silence. An option nice to have when you want to switch tracks and one has a delay and you want to let it finish naturally without stopping it abruptly. At the moment I'm just muting the input track and FX tracks don't get muted - but this sucks because you can't save CPU on FX tracks.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
JayCeePooze

Hi, so as a complete Reaper newbie who also happens to be a live keyboard player, I'm wondering whether this extension will be suitable for what I'd like to do.

Most of the sounds I use will be within Kontakt (pianos, organs, EPs, clavs, brass, strings, etc) but I would also like to use some other VSTi's. Ideally, I only want to run one instance of each VSTi but the way I change patches within each one will be slightly different.

Within Kontakt, each sound would be set up on a different midi channel. In everything else I'm likely to use, to change sounds means sending a program change message.

My controller keyboard has buttons that send Bank MSB/LSB + Program change. What I'd like to be able to do is have it so that I can use any of those three values (Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program change) to direct Reaper to EITHER send my midi to a specific channel in Kontakt OR to select a specific patch within another VSTi.

Ideally, I suppose I could just ignore the Bank MSB and LSB messages and just send a program change and have reaper interpret it correctly, so for example program change 1-16 would direct reaper to Kontakt on the same channel, program changes 17-24 would be specific patches within VSTi A (Prophet V for example) and program changes 25-35 would be specific patches within VSTi B (minimoog) and so on.

Is this the right extension for what I want to achieve?
JayCeePooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
This is great! Thanks! I played a bit with it now and these are the things I miss. I'm just thinking out loud...
Thanks for the feedback & sorry for the veeerrryyy late reply, Breeder! Déjà vu: in short, most of the features you are talking already about already exit.. but in a private extension!
I'm thinking about merging/open sourcing it, partially at least, it is technically ready but there some other difficulties (payware stuff). Still discussing, still don't know what to reply to you at this point but I will detail this when I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeePooze View Post
My controller keyboard has buttons that send Bank MSB/LSB + Program change. What I'd like to be able to do is have it so that I can use any of those three values (Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program change) to direct Reaper to EITHER send my midi to a specific channel in Kontakt OR to select a specific patch within another VSTi.
Hi JayCeePooze and welcome to the forums!
The config you want is the easy part, the Bank MSB/LSB+PC trigger is another story..
For the configs, here's an example:

1. Shows how to switch MIDI channels (trick: the Live Config allows you to reconfigure the input track too)
2. Shows configs with different patches for the same plug (same track/fx "43 Rhodes" but different presets)

Now, about the bank/program change (PC):
I guess you have a 2 buttons style controllers (?) like "Program+ , Program+". Unfortunately, you can neither learn actions "Apply Live Config #n (MIDI CC only)" nor "Apply next/previous config" with such PC messages (well, you can, but this would be limited to a given PC #number).
There's a workaround/solution: you would need 2 others (very light) plugs on the input track: a JS that remaps PC to CC and, downstream, MIDItoReaControlPath.
One of the guys I know is in your case: cheap Boss GT-6 guitar effect but it is able to send bank/pc messages. I made a tiny JS which allows him to use the Live Configs tool. I your case, the easier solution would probably be to ignore bank messages and use the little "PC to CC" JS effect I attached here.

Without the tool, since REAPER v4.x, you can use PC to switch presets and also learn PC events, so you can still use tip1 above. The setup will be trickier though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PCtoCC.zip (976 Bytes, 1155 views)

Last edited by Jeffos; 12-12-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: edited attached JS effect (pass-thru)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Breeder

Jeffos, new update is awesome! THANKS!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #21
tweed

PRELOAD cues up a sound and does NOT actually load it into ram, correct?
and the time to load is the same, yes?

incredibly big thank you.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #22
Anton9

Hi Jeffos,

I hope the moving is going well.

Would it be possible for you to add support for switching through configs via OSC ? I'm trying to phase-out my use of MIDI CCs as much as possible.

OSC is just so much more versatile.., for example I'm using a Nintendo Wii controller along with a software called GlovePIE which allows for programming and sending of just about any type of OSC message imaginable.
The messages can be triggered using many types of devices such as keyboards & mice, video game controllers, MIDI devices, voice commands, and believe it or not even brainwave detecting devices, you can even set up timed triggers which don't rely on any input device at all.

I can even set up GlovePIE to convert OSC commands into MIDI.., but the problem with that is it relys on using a virtual MIDI port and REAPER's support for virtual MIDI ports is so buggy. Sometimes it works just fine and other times the ports will not be detected or even get dropped in the middle of transmition.

Edit: I'm thinking all that would really need to be added is a set of actions much like the ones in place now(SWS/S&M: Apply Live Config # (MIDI CC absolute only)) but that respond to learning like normal actions minus the (MIDI CC absolute only). This would be the best solution and would not require any OSC specific coding on your part. This would also allow the actions to be learned via key-commands/OSC/or even MIDI notes.

Last edited by Anton9; 12-25-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #23
EvilDragon

Sorry for a stupid question in a hurry (didn't have much time to check all the functionality) - but is there a way to make Live Configs switch between slots via bank select/program changes (this is the most natural way of doing it for me, as a keyboard player)? If not, it would be my suggestion to implement this at certain point. Bank Select could switch between different Live Config sets, and Program Changes could switch between slots.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
Anton9

Just thought of a couple of actions that Live Configs could really use.

1) An action for the context menu that comes up when right clicking in a row of the "CC value" column that would clear the the entire row of any settings.

2) A master clear action that would clear everything in the currently selected config set and maybe even an action that would clear all configs in all config sets. These actions could be located in the dialog's right click context menu.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
Xane002

Is there a way to send the control from a midi track?

I'd like to prerecord the midi CC in a midi track so that the selection in the Live Config is based on a particular song already identified by markers.
Xane002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Breeder

Thanks to Jeffos, yes you can. Check this: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43741
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
Xane002

Quote:
Thanks to Jeffos, yes you can. Check this: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43741
Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how it works!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
Jeffos
Mortal

As the last posters said (thanks guys!), there is a BIG overhaul of the Live Configs in SWS/S&M v2.3.0 #9 (beta ATM, download here).
So, the OP and the PDF "user manual" are totally outdated! I will update that when I can, in the meantime I removed the outdated PDF "user manual", download will fail!

In the meantime too, here are the relevant parts of the extension's whatsnew:
Quote:

v2.3.0 #9 (December 23, 2012)
Live Configs: big overhaul, merged a dedicated extension plugin.
The major changes are:
  • New "core" to ensure smooth/glitch-free config switches, new "All notes off" logic (now optional)
  • Added Preload feature: you can prepare an instrument/effect while playing another
    This can be done with a second controller (click the new "Learn" button) or multi-touch gesture (see below)
    Once a config is preloaded, you can switch/switch back between preloaded/current configs with new actions "SWS/S&M: Live Config n - Apply preloaded config (swap current/preload)"
    Preload comes in handy when switching FX chains, or Track Templates or with the new option "Offline all but active/preloaded tracks" (see below)
  • Added Monitoring windows, demo:

- Useful with controllers that do not provide visual feedback
    - Support 2 fingers scroll gesture over "Current" and "Preload" areas, e.g. switch or preload instruments/effects with a trackpad
    - Click on the "Preload" area to swap preloaded/current configs
    - Up to 4 Monitors can be used simultaneously, i.e. one per Live Config
  • Added options (per config):
    - "Offline all but active/preloaded tracks (RAM savings)"
    The only loaded instruments/effects will be those of the current and preloaded tracks.
    Other tracks that are not part of the config will remain as they are, of course. This option works without preload too (switches will be slower though).
    Note: handle with care! Do not use this option with buggy instruments/effects!
    - "Ignore switches to empty configs"
    Especially useful for "Apply next/previous config" actions: switch to the next/previous valid config whatever is the gap (of empty configs) in between
    - "Send all notes off when switching configs"
    - "Select/scroll to track on list view click"
  • Added "Tiny fades" knob
    It tweaks lengths of tiny fades-out/in when deactivating/activating configs. Disabling fades is allowed but instrument/effect switches might be glitchy!
    Note: when a config is made of trailing effects (delay, verb, etc..), you can either disable tiny fades or, better: route the (tiny faded) audio to a track which is not used by the Live Configs
  • New logic for "Activation" and "Deactivation" actions/macros/scripts:
    - If a track is defined for a config, only this track will be selected when the "Activation" (or "Deactivation") action is performed, track selection is restored right after
    => Useful since many actions deal with "selected track(s)". Note: this type of action also avoids to tie things to track numbers, etc..(i.e. things still work if you move/delete tracks)
    - If no track is defined for a config, no track will be selected when the "Activation" (or "Deactivation") action is performed, track selection is restored right after
    => Useful to master the current selection state when performing actions
  • Added helpers:
    - Added "Learn" button: direct action learn for "Apply" and "Preload" actions
    This is to ease controller bindings (due to some technical constraints, apply/preload actions have to be buried in a section "S&M Extension" of the action list ATM..)
    - Added "Create input track" in the context menu (creates a track with needed properties and sends)
    - Added option "Automatically update sends from the input track"
    If an "Input track" is defined, this option will automatically create/update sends from this track to all configured tracks (and each time a new track is added/removed from the editor's list view)
    - Added "Switch delay" knob (no more S&M.ini file tweaks needed). One "Switch delay" per config.
  • Added a bunch of actions (preload, toggle options or tiny fades on/off, open/close monitoring windows, etc..): filter the action list with "Live Config"!
    Note: some of the new actions are very specific and thus hidden by default (customizable in the S&M.ini file)
  • New context menu items in the Live Configs editor:
    - Copy/cut/paste configs (rows)
    With "faulty" controllers, it is useful to copy/paste the same config several times (e.g. too sensitive to set accurate values, etc..)
    - Insert config (shift rows up/down) + obey INSERT key
    - Apply/preload configs
    - Shortcuts: "Show FX chain..." and "Show routing window..." in the Track column and the Input track context menus
.. and (coming soon / next release):

Quote:
v2.3.0 #10 (?, 2013)

Live Configs: support OSC and rotary controllers
  • Improved the "learnability" of the following actions of the "S&M Extension" section, they have been renamed accordingly:
    - SWS/S&M: Apply Live Config n (MIDI CC absolute only) -> SWS/S&M: Apply Live Config n (MIDI CC/OSC only)
    - SWS/S&M: Preload Live Config n (MIDI CC absolute only) -> SWS/S&M: Preload Live Config n (MIDI CC/OSC only)
  • Support all types of MIDI CC controllers (like endless rotary encoders)
    - In addition to the "Absolute" mode, all "Relative" modes of the Learn dialog box are now supported too
    - Acceleration is also supported
  • Support OSC learn (OSC messages with float parameters)
    - Example: say you have learned the action "SWS/S&M: Apply Live Config 3 (MIDI CC/OSC only)" with the OSC message "/blabla",
    sending "/blabla/f/107" will switch to the instrument/effect #107 of the Live Config #3
^^ Important:
With OSC, relative/rotary controllers, and multi-touch gesture support, it would be possible to target much more than 128 configs of course - but this is an intentional restriction, sorry!
This is due to an greement with some people who paid for a dedicated extension (where, among other things, the number of configs/conrolers and CC/OSC values is free, can have duplicates, etc..)
I wanted to clarify that because I know it will come on the table!

___

@ED, Anton9, tweed, Breeder & Xane002:

Sorry, I'll reply to each points.. but later as most of them will be adressed in the updated PDF!
Globally what you request is either already possible or possible with the latest release of the Live Configs. The same goes for the ~15 first posts (learn is dead easy now, integrated preload feature, etc..)

Last edited by Jeffos; 01-10-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more readable whatsnew..
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #29
Xane002

No need to reply to my post, Jeffos. Breeder's suggestion worked brilliantly! After I DL'd the plugin referenced by Breeder, all I had to do to get the Live Config to learn the pre-recorded midi CC was start the playback before using the Live Config "learn" function. It worked the first try!

However..... catch though is that Reaper isn't like Cubase in that program changes will be sent even if not playing when you place the edit cursor within the length of the midi segment. Did that make sense? Cubase will send any PCs in a midi segment as a sort of reset when your edit cursor crosses into the length of that segment - even if you simply click on the timeline with no playback - this is a great feature when playing live because it queues up my HD500 patches for the guitar before the song actually starts rolling. I wanted to use this for synth selection too.

So instead, I've doubled up certain buttons in TouchOSC to send a midi CC and OSC - OSC to select the song, CC to select the Live Config patch.

I'm excited to give the new version of Live Config a whirl - it's central to what I'm trying to do live.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish with Reaper: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=115788

This explains what I'm trying to do for live performance - and I've almost got it all down to my "one button" nirvana but ALL MY ACTION/CMD IDs CHANGED ON ME LAST NIGHT!!!!!

I have a custom command for each song, mostly to go to a marker and in some cases, change the tempo. I made about 50 custom actions, entered each one of these into TouchOSC for an /action message....I close the program and a few hours later....ALL OF MY CUSTOM ACTION IDS HAVE SHIFTED THIER COMMAND IDS!!!!

I'm trying to figure out why.

EDIT: I figured out why - removing a custom action leaves a "hole" in the CMD ID assignments where upon the next restart of Reaper, that hole will be filled by the succeeding actions. At least it's apparent why....just not good form.

Last edited by Xane002; 01-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #30
Breeder

When "Send all notes off when switching configs" is turned on, there is a really big and noticeable delay when switching configs. Thank god I don't need that option.

Can anybody else reproduce it?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
tweed

asking if someone could confirm that I've not missed something.

--- the 'preload' function is mostly? a visual helper and doesn't
load the patches into memory and therefore doesn't make switching faster in a big way.

i love being totally inaccurate sometimes!
how are you using preload:-) ???
thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
cjaxis

is this possible to switch configs from MIDI Item on input track with pre-written CC? Now it's switching only from my MIDI controller.
I want to play guitar along witn playback track and fully automated FX switching without touching any controllers during playing.
cjaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #33
Jeffos
Mortal

I have not yet found the time to update the Live Configs user guide :/
I'll (try to) update it before 2024, I promise

Also, sorry for the late and "bundled" replies below, I'll try to follow things more closely...

Quote:
Just thought of a couple of actions that Live Configs could really use.
1) An action for the context menu that comes up when right clicking in a row of the "CC value" column that would clear the the entire row of any settings.
2) A master clear action that would clear everything in the currently selected config set and maybe even an action that would clear all configs in all config sets. These actions could be located in the dialog's right click context menu.
I'd say:
1) Select the row you want to clear, press the DEL key
2) Ctrl-A (select all), then DEL

If you really need to do this via actions too, could you please explain me why? (briefly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xane002 View Post
Is there a way to send the control from a midi track?
As Breeder said (and as you figured it out in the meantime, it seems) you can do this thanks to MIDItoReaControlPath: see my detailed answer to cjaxis below!

Quote:
When "Send all notes off when switching configs" is turned on, there is a really big and noticeable delay when switching configs. Thank god I don't need that option.

Can anybody else reproduce it?
Hey Breeder! Assuming you are talking of a reasonable delay (and not minutes/hours ) well this might be "normal": it depends on your options, well on your combinations of options.
=> just to make sure, please can you e-mail me that live config (just the RPP file) ? TIA!

One combination of options example that can explain this: when you are using an input track (option1), and a tiny fade > 0 ms (option2), and "Send all notes off when switching configs" (option3), to make sure there won't be any stuck notes, the extension will have first have to wait for the tiny fade to be done (option2), mute sends from the input track (option1), and then send "all notes off" (option3).

Bottom line: you have to find a compromise between safe instruments/effects switches AND acceptable delay between those switches.
- For MIDI users: activating the "all notes off" option will avoid stuck notes but it introduces a slight delay (which is itself tied to the tiny fade option, as explained above)
- For audio users (Guitar, vocals, etc..): they do not need the "all notes off" option, but it is highly recommended to set a "tiny fade" that will prevent audio glitches when switching configs. The longer "tiny fade" the longer switch between configs, of course.
- Immediate switches: it is possible to switch immediately between configs (i.e. all options disabled), but in this case you will most probably hear glitchy switches and/or stuck MIDI notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
asking if someone could confirm that I've not missed something.

--- the 'preload' function is mostly? a visual helper and doesn't
load the patches into memory and therefore doesn't make switching faster in a big way.

i love being totally inaccurate sometimes!
how are you using preload:-) ???
thanks!
Preload works as expected here..

Just in case...
To make sense, the Preload feature must be either used with the option "Offline all but active/preloaded tracks (RAM savings)", or when you put individual FX online/offline (thanks to the Live Configs' activate/deactivate actions for ex.)
For live use (I mean, on stage, in real life) I do not recommend that option ^^ unless you rely on a SSD and totally trust the stability of your plugins.

Hope this helps (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaxis View Post
is this possible to switch configs from MIDI Item on input track with pre-written CC? Now it's switching only from my MIDI controller.
I want to play guitar along witn playback track and fully automated FX switching without touching any controllers during playing.
Yes, you can do this thanks to MIDItoReaControlPath.
This have been said earlier in the thread but not really detailed...
I have attached a little project here which demonstrate how to do that (instead of a long technical description (in funky English ))
=> The RPP contains an ultra simple live config that just mute/unmute tracks (but it would work the same with FX preset/FX chains/Track template/... switches).
=> The idea of this RPP is to trigger those configs with the MIDI events of the last track

1) Download & install MIDItoReaControlPath in your normal VST folder
2) Load the attached RPP (make sure MIDItoReaControlPath is ok/loaded on the on the last track)
3) Now we are going to "learn":
3a) When you open the RPP, just press play (as you can see, the project is ready for looping)
3b) *While playing/looping*, in the "Live Configs" window click the button Learn / "Learn Apply Live Config 1 action"
3c) Wait for a CC (this where MIDItoReaControlPath is needed: it forwards CCs of the MIDI item to the learn system), click OK.

=> Then the fest starts immediately!
=> Each CC of the MIDI item is activating a track and muting all other tracks (I mean, all other tracks of the config. The track with MIDItoReaControlPath is not part of the Live Configs and thus never muted, of course!)
=> An anim of what you should see:

^^ REAPER rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sorry for a stupid question in a hurry (didn't have much time to check all the functionality) - but is there a way to make Live Configs switch between slots via bank select/program changes (this is the most natural way of doing it for me, as a keyboard player)? If not, it would be my suggestion to implement this at certain point. Bank Select could switch between different Live Config sets, and Program Changes could switch between slots.
It's possible.
In the same spirit than the above reply I'd do this: instead of declaring my controller in the MIDI prefs, I would disable it there and arm a track with that controller as MIDI input instead.
Then, on that track I "just" need a little JS + MIDItoReaControlPath. The JS changes the CC number according to the bank messages it receives, done.
If you *really* need that but have no idea how to code such a JS, let me know I'll post one.

Also, for the record, the idea behind different Live Configs numbers (1,2,3 & 4) was more likely to let several musicians switch their own instruments/effects at the same time (each musician having its own controller and a dedicated Live Config number). But yes, nothing prevents a single musician to use several controllers/configs -OR- a single controller that triggers different Live Config numbers (thanks to a trick like the JS+MIDItoReaControlPath one I described just above) -OR- ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip LiveConfigs_and_MIDItoReaControlPath.zip (2.0 KB, 549 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #34
cjaxis

Jeffos, many thanks for explaining!
cjaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #35
Jeffos
Mortal

Default OSC feedback

I had MANY requests for OSC feedback...
.. just to say it will be available in the next SWS/S&M version, so it will be v2.3.0 #15

From the whatsnew:

Code:
Live Configs:
+Added basic OSC feedback
 To bind an OSC device: Live Configs window > Right-click > OSC feedback, and choose a device in the list
 Devices listed there are the OSC "controle surfaces" defined in Options > Preferences > Controle Surfaces
 Note: only the name, output IP, max packet size and output port parameters are required. Unless you need REAPER feedback as well, you do not need to tick the option "Send to port"
 Up to 4 OSC devices are managed, i.e. distinct feedback for Live Config #1, #2, #3 and #4 
 The possible OSC messages (with string arguments) are:
 - /snm/liveconfign/current/changed - when the active config changed for the Live Config #n
 - /snm/liveconfign/current/changing - when the active config is changing for the Live Config #n
 - /snm/liveconfign/preload/changed - when the preloaded config changed for the Live Config #n
 - /snm/liveconfign/preload/changing - when the active config is changing for the Live Config #n
"changing" OSC messages = greyed info displayed in Monitoring windows (see gif anim here).
"changed" OSC messages = info displayed in black in Monitoring windows.

In v2.3.0 #15, there will be OSC feedback for the Region Playlist too (a tool that allows you switching/looping regions live, among other things..).

Note: the whatsnew states "basic" OSC feedback because the networking code is pretty simple but that should be ok ATM (the extension is not talkative..)

___

Also, many thanks to Breeder!
It turned out "slow switches" (1s) with the option "Send all notes off when switching configs" was indeed a bug, this is fixed for the new build too!

Last edited by Jeffos; 04-04-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: French
Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #36
peanutismint

Hey guys! This seems like just what I need, even though I'm only planning to use it to switch virtual instruments from my keyboard without being near the computer.

Does anybody have a link to the PDF that was removed? I realise it's out-dated but I'd just like to get a basic idea of how to use the extension - sure I'll be able to figure the rest out on my own.

At the moment I've got four tracks, each with a different software instrument. I've got things like 'offline/mute unselected track FX' selected, which sounds like what I want, but ideally I also want it so that every config i select also arms that track for midi input, so that from my midi keyboard I can 'scroll' back and forth through which instrument I use....does that make sense?
peanutismint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
Jeffos
Mortal

Hi peanutismint, sorry for the delay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutismint View Post
Hey guys! This seems like just what I need, even though I'm only planning to use it to switch virtual instruments from my keyboard without being near the computer.

Does anybody have a link to the PDF that was removed? I realise it's out-dated but I'd just like to get a basic idea of how to use the extension - sure I'll be able to figure the rest out on my own.
You can find an old version of the user guide here (well outdated! nothing about OSC, new monitoring windows, etc..)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutismint View Post
At the moment I've got four tracks, each with a different software instrument. I've got things like 'offline/mute unselected track FX' selected, which sounds like what I want, but ideally I also want it so that every config i select also arms that track for midi input, so that from my midi keyboard I can 'scroll' back and forth through which instrument I use....does that make sense?
Quite "simple"... May be you can just arm a track (called the "input track" in the Live Config tool) and add routings to those 4 VSTi tracks, I mean 4 sends with different MIDI channels (make sure you disable this led for MIDI sends). With the Live Config tool, you won't have stuck notes when switching instruments.
If you indeed want/need to "auto-arm" tracks when switching intruments for some reasons, you can do it thanks to the tool's activation/deactivation actions, for example:

^^ note: no "input track" in this case

Last edited by Jeffos; 10-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #38
peanutismint

Thanks for that! :-) I actually found the PDF and worked out the controls after posting - it's a great extension!
peanutismint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #39
Tycho

Thanks for this Jeffos. I am having issues in general with frequent crashing when opening projects containing live configs in Reaper x64 on Mavericks / late-2013 retina. When opening I typically see some strange data in the live configs window like this (see image). Here's the crash report: http://pastebin.com/LmmLVDwv

any idea what's going on here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 2.36.10 PM.jpg (54.1 KB, 5659 views)

Last edited by Tycho; 01-29-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #40
Jeffos
Mortal

Duhh!! Yes I can repro in OS X 64-bit, thanks for the report Tycho!
a bit overloaded these days but i'll look into this as issue soon as I can (well already did, but looks like a tricky one: will create a ticket in the sws tracker & edit this post with the url, for the followup...).

Everything seems ok in 32-bit though, if you don't have other constraints may be you can use this in the meantime (?)

Also I know we're both talking about the same thing when it comes to "using REAPER live"
=> 2 things I want to add: this tool is used on stage but not on Mac yet, well as far as I know... also, do not hesitate to PM me if you plan to use this tool as such!