Old 03-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
matthewjumpsoffbuildings
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 64 bit bridging settings

Can someone clarify for me what the ideal settings are for plugin bridging/UI embedding in reaper 64 bit, for both 64 and 32 bit plugins?

I have noticed some issues with my older 32 bit plugins when using the default bridging mode + embedding the UI, so i switched to 'separate process' as the global reaper default, but this seems to cause my Native Instruments 64 bit plugins (eg Guitar Rig 5) to have some weird UI resize issues ( see this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1818761 )

Im running Reaper for live performance and also multi track recording thru VSTs, with an RME RayDAT PCIe card running at 32 sample buffer size, so i want to get the most stability/performance out of my VSTs. some of the older/free stuff (classic vst, gvst, JB, TbT, VoS etc), that i still like the sound of/want to use etc, seem to introduce some glitches/crackles. i noticed that the 'separate process' setting seem to help with some of this but it introduces its own issues.

I guess what im wondering is - is it best for CPU/stability to use the default bridging/UI embed settings for most plugins, then override that for specific older/32 bit/unstable plugins?

Or is the 'separate process' a better default in terms of CPU usage/stability for ALL plugins?

And how important is the 'embed UI' setting? should i be turning this off for all older plugins?