Old 03-25-2024, 03:21 PM   #1
jnorman34
Human being with feelings

Default Does it matter how large projects get?

The last CD project I did on reaper exceeded 20gb due to the number of songs, many sessions and many many retakes, etc. I was wondering if this is deleterious in any way to reaper's operation or if is somehow harder on my computer (like stuffing too much data in ram) than if I use multiple smaller projects to build a CD. Thoughts?
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:15 AM   #2
serr

The project storage in question is your hard drive(s). Not ram. And drives are very large and very cheap these days! RAM use for audio is normally low, FYI. Often under 4GB used even in large projects. Modern 64 bit OS's will cache files as convenient so you might see some extra ram used from that.

I might have one recently that was 450 tracks and 250GB of files. There's no limit other than your available storage.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #3
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman34 View Post
The last CD project I did on reaper exceeded 20gb due to the number of songs, many sessions and many many retakes, etc. I was wondering if this is deleterious in any way to reaper's operation or if is somehow harder on my computer (like stuffing too much data in ram) than if I use multiple smaller projects to build a CD. Thoughts?
Well, the bigger the project gets, the longer the loading times become. Everything
becomes more sluggish and slower with large projects. That's why it often makes
sense to divide a large project into smaller parts using subprojects.
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #4
serr

Never had anything get sluggish or slow with a larger project and if you blink you'll miss the "extra" load time. But perhaps just hundreds of tracks is not considered large in this context?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote