Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
lxm
Human being with feelings

Default Ableton Push 2 (Can This Be Done in REAPER)

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm trying a Push 2. The main reason I want to use it is for the above video. Warping features. Ease of use. Can the above be done with REAPER and a standard MIDI controller? Obviously there are other feature's that come along with it but this was the main reason I wanted to try it.

Secondly.

Ableton has no comping feature. This is a large part of my workflow. I like to edit in(comp together) alot of happy mistakes etc. If I rewire Ableton in REAPER is it possible to use the Push 2 ala the above method while taking advantage of REAPERS amazing comping?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
oneindelijk

Default Reper Push 2

Hi,

I tried to get the Push 2 working in Reaper, but unfortunately I couldn't get the display to work.

Routing Ableton into Reaper works very well and indeed this way you can use Reaper as a replacement for Ableton's crappy composer view and Reaper's Mixer.
I believe you can even feed back automation to Ableton (not entirely sure of this, although with loopMidi you'd be able to achieve this too, I think)

I'm about to test out more with the transformator pack and might as well try some reWire stuff again
oneindelijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
moss

I wrote an application to support both Push 1 and 2. Maybe it gets overlooked in the tips section: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=23
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
oneindelijk

Default Transformator

Hi Moss,

Your application is exactly what I'm talking about.
Nice to see your apt follow-up and thanks for putting this together.

I'm a python programmer myself and I would like to contribute with scripts for Reaper to something...
oneindelijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #5
viceverser

Default Cant get it to work AT ALL!!!

Hey Moss, I love the work you've done for a long time, but I can't get this thing to work on OSX El Capitan at all... I have followed your tutorials/readme to the letter, and it just crashes my Reaper on startup... I have to rename the script TCPserver.eel to get reaper to open.

Java is installed as per the tutorial. Nothing.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz... RAM: 16.0GB (15.9 GB usable) OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit... SoundCard: RME Babyface (USB)MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3... SoundCard: RME Babyface (USB)
viceverser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceverser View Post
Hey Moss, I love the work you've done for a long time, but I can't get this thing to work on OSX El Capitan at all... I have followed your tutorials/readme to the letter, and it just crashes my Reaper on startup... I have to rename the script TCPserver.eel to get reaper to open.

Java is installed as per the tutorial. Nothing.
Puh, crash is bad, I guess you need to address Cockos with that one.
Have you tried the latest Reaper Beta? Any hint of an error message?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
esosotericmetal

I can't get it working in OSX (10.11.3) either. When I try running the run-push2.command file i get an error saying saying the file doesn't have sufficient privileges, even though it does in fact have read & write privileges.

Bummer... this was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for.

As a sidenote, I actually wrote a simple little app in Max recently that lets you use Push 2 as a generic midi controller (for playing notes and scales) in any DAW or with hardware. It can't do anything beyond that, but it works great. If anyone is interested I'd be willing to share (the standalone version is OSX only, but if you have Max 7 you can run it on windows).
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
zookthespook

Moss ..you are the boss !!!
Just installed push 2 hack ...it works very well some bugs but nothing to take away the charm of using that hardware with a reaper !!!
Big thankss
Cheers
Sameer
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Modular

I'm struggling to get this working on OSX 10.11.5 Reaper 5.22.Pre7
The TCPserver.eel is crashing Reaper. Also the Transformator-1.10.jar file will not open.
I installed your steps and installed jdk-8u92-macosx-x64.dmg

Getting error messages in console:
04/07/2016 21:59:02.117 WindowServer[190]: send_datagram_available_ping: pid 613 failed to act on a ping it dequeued before timing out.

Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
mindbeet

I had the same problem on El Capitan, however I got this working by doing a permission reset on the run-push1.command. Also if I want to run Reaper without transformator I can not have TCPServer.eel as a global startup command as it crashes Reaper. The solution is to set it as a project startup and save that as a template to open after the command...

Thank You so much Moß
mindbeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #11
moss

I have tested the Mac installation again. The command scripts did not enter the directory with the software. I fixed that now, simply redownload the package. I did not notice any crashes.