Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #81
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
This has been a peeve of mine for years now. It means that the full spectrum of colours are not available within REAPER.

Here's a screenshot showing how different the colour picker needs to be set to achieve the desired colours:
[img]
??? That seems to be a tweaked v4 theme you're using there? If so, you didn't go the whole way. You can easily tweak it so that you get your original colors in those color fields at the right edge of tcp (default v5 has this one right). But not on the track name fields.

I've been moaning about it at length also, but it has been pretty sucessfully solved in v5 as you can see in my previous pic. That means, the full spectrum of colors is available within Reaper v5. Just the default v5 theme doesn't use the possibility for reasons I don't understand.

Apart from track name fields there is one area left with a slight bug, which is piano roll and inline editor notes in track (and item-) color mode. Everywhere else you can set the color picker to the desired color and get that exact color - if the theme allows it.

Last edited by gofer; 07-15-2015 at 12:12 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #82
daxliniere
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
[...]it has been pretty sucessfully solved in v5 as you can see in my previous pic. That means, the full spectrum of colors is available within Reaper v5.
Really? Well, that's awesome news. I'll PM you.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #83
msmucr

Hi guys,

that's for first time, I'm going write something regarding themes in Reaper.
It was never too important for me and I've never searched for some alternative looks at DAWs. I take it just as a tool, where I'm expecting just certain level of usability. I don't care so much about emotional attachment to the DAW look, inspirational part and so on (and happily leaving this to others).

I started to play with fifth version of Reaper before some time and immediately switched to V4 theme, because I thought, it is just some work in the progress version and concentrated at other things, so I forget about themes. Recently after some RC update, I swiched to default V5 theme and was quite surprised, that it looks almost same as at its first released version..

I can subscribe to previous posts regarding general lack of contrast of UI elements and clear distinction of active elements (like buttons). Automation lane TCP just disappear in the background. Default shaded knobs instead of faders on TCP is also not so great idea IMO, because it looks same as pan knob. All dividing lines between tracks and sections at the mixer are lacking contrast.
Those are my main issues with it.

If there were some previous complaints from some users about lack of contrast in V4 with regards to the active track selection for example, this is much worse IMO.
I don't have any sight problems AFAIK, but I have to tell you, working with V5 at daylight on notebook is pretty exciting thing. But for example my colleague is 61 and he even don't need daylight for the same experience

You can maybe tell me, just use V4 theme and be done with it, but new theme has some usability improvements (for instance like bigger texts for selection range) and I still feel, V5 default theme deserves some improvements as it is first thing, what new user will see and I don't think, it looks bad at all.

Anyway, I have one related question. Do you (or Mr. White Tie, if he reads this) know, how is current situation regarding derivative themes based on default ones?
I briefly recall some not so pleasant situation few years ago, when someone tried tried to make improved theme from V4 default, where it was more contrast for selected track.. I believe, it was called something++, but its distribution had to be stopped, because, there were some copyright issues, because it were originally done by Mr. White Tie for Cockos. But I can be wrong with it.
I've never cared about WALTER and theming, but maybe it will be worth of learning it and also try to address some issues at def. theme, if this won't be problem with copyright.

Michal
Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #84
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi guys,
I briefly recall some not so pleasant situation few years ago, when someone tried tried to make improved theme from V4 default, where it was more contrast for selected track.. I believe, it was called something++, but its distribution had to be stopped, because, there were some copyright issues, because it were originally done by Mr. White Tie for Cockos. But I can be wrong with it.

Michal
I believe this is the unpleasant thread you recall.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=118222
Thankfully it was closed.

But the gist that I get from it is that neither Cockos nor WT prohibits you from modifying the default theme. That was a particular forumite who wanted to retract their own version of the default theme.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #85
msmucr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I believe this is the unpleasant thread you recall.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=118222
Thankfully it was closed.

But the gist that I get from it is that neither Cockos nor WT prohibits you from modifying the default theme. That was a particular forumite who wanted to retract their own version of the default theme.
Kevin,

thanks for the link, I couldn't recall exact story about it. Anyway it seems to me, Zora has quite exceptional ego and behavior , which was main issue there.
So we'll wait for the final release of V5 and maybe I will check WALTER syntax in the meantime.

Michal
Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #86
Sexan

With v5 it's not possible to make transparent item_bg or sel_bg transparent like in V4? (I want to see grid under item when selected (grid option is "under items") in v4 that worked but now I assume it's not possible ?
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #87
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
With v5 it's not possible to make transparent item_bg or sel_bg transparent like in V4? (I want to see grid under item when selected (grid option is "under items") in v4 that worked but now I assume it's not possible ?
I did it this way :

- first, item_bg.png with a color vertical gradient at RGB from 0,0,0,1 up to 0,0,0,71 (last number is for transparency).
- second, in the 'Theme tweaker' window, search for the Media item background fill mode parameter and set it to 'Normal,0.80'.

This gives a faint 3D look with a light appearance of the grid under the items, which is enough for me.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #88
Sexan

Yeah I saw Media item background fill,but it makes everything transparent,I only want item selected bg to be transparent.
And why selected items are not affected (some part) with media item fill?

Anyway thanks for help

Edit:Found out. It's because item_bg_sel had a solid color in track area (I've painted),but why does then the "strip" which also has solid color become transparent??

Last edited by Sexan; 07-21-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #89
SmajjL

Don't worry, soon enough when you least expect it BAM!! WT will have a brand new manual that will clear things up.
I think I also suffer from the 'forgetting it's a pre' syndrome, and using it as 'normal'
WT will have the 'last laugh' i am sure.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:53 AM   #90
matthias.matthias

Default That shiny volume knob...

I know, It's been said before. So just count this as a +1.

For me, that shiny volume knob in the TCP is a real distraction.
It simply doesn't work with the rest of the theme. Which I really like btw.
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #91
Lannister

I hid the volume (and pan knob) by commenting them out in "rtconfig.txt"

For example,

;def order_volume 3

I only use those controls in the mixer, so didn't need them in the TCP.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #92
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I think I agree with MN on nearly all of this.

I don't want to appear ungrateful for the work that the Devs and WT have put into this...

>
Well... we're (most of us) customers. And if we think this from a business standpoint, it's in the Cockos best interest to provide good enhancements and fixes so that people will pay for the product.

Thus it is important that our feedback is honest, straight to the point and that Cockos takes it seriously, what ever it is.

I don't feel grateful or I don't feel I owe anything for Cockos for stuff they do right. I might be happy if hey do things right and disappointed if they don't, and by the balance of these two I consider if I get the value for my money from the product or not. And that affects my purchasing decision directly regarding the update.

In the end, many of us depend our livelihood on to the product we choose for our DAW. And for that it's important for it to be on the right line if we're to pay for it.

And I would think that it's a good thing for us all to remember that Cockos is a business, Reaper is a product and we're customers. One shouldn't rise Reaper or the devs to any high pedestals but keep them on the ground.

It would bring objectivity to the discussion and get rid of any "fanboy-ism". That might even be a good thing for the continuation of the Reaper in the future?

Last edited by Icchan; 07-26-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote