v5.0rc6 - July 10 2015
# Actions: fixed various last touched FX/FX parameter actions [p=1532030]
# Improved CPU/HyperThreading detection
# OSX: fixed Item Properties dialog resetting active takes [p=1543977]
# Theme updates
# Toolbars: separators click-through on frameless floating toolbars
# VST3: fixed preset reload after plugin load for some plugins
# VST: ignore parameter change notifications when opening UI
# VST: prevent certain plugins from creating undo point on playback start [p=1542953]
# VST: support shell plugins (eg, Waves) in Project Bay and recent-fx list
# Video: fixed preview of item edge edits
# Video: improved secondary monitor behavior on Windows
Old 07-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

awesome. looks like some great changes there, thanks devs!
Old 07-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Sexan

This is awesome,it's been reported several RC ago,apparently "reading" it's not devs thing

Last edited by Sexan; 07-10-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
WyattRice

Simple Question.
Will the optional external editor settings for scripts ever work again? See this post: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=290
Old 07-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
IXix

I hope these short faders aren't intentional!
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
Thalamus

# Video: fixed preview of item edge edits

That was quick - Cheers!
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
ramses

Thanks for fixing the transient marking colors under the time selection area. Much appreciated!
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN

how to download rc6..?
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
we really are looking for things that broke since 4.x.
This regression issue with OSC 'feedback' still hasn't been fixed - I have just checked it again for RC6.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN View Post
how to download rc6..?
One of the first sticky threads in this area gives the information.

Just checking, but you are aware this is a pre-release, bugs and all?
Not recommended for mission-critical stuff unless you are really confident you can retrieve any little surprises that crop up.
Although it is all pretty stable at the moment....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
One of the first sticky threads in this area gives the information.

Just checking, but you are aware this is a pre-release, bugs and all?
Not recommended for mission-critical stuff unless you are really confident you can retrieve any little surprises that crop up.
Although it is all pretty stable at the moment....
tnx bro
yes i can use it with any bugs...
but i dont know ow to download new RCs...!!!
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
BenK-msx

i guess this one is for WT - not that he does feedback unless its done via a questionaire he has devised and filled in as accurately as a passport application.

pesky layouts...

was quite happy with tcp large expanding popup fader, since i could have mute/solo and fx on right edge without an overly large (long) tcp. and a fader instead of a Bleeping volume knob.

now (rc6) something has been tweaked and no layout is particularly satisfactory in this respect - tcp either has to be really short or really long just to have M/S&FX on far right.

thats all i need brother.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
tnx bro
Just Click the "Back Arrow" on the top, or reopen the REAPER Pre-Release Discussion, and you can find the download link at the bottom of the "Sticky posts".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
mustgroove

One window sets bug is still present in these rcs which has been around for ages in the main 4.xx builds. I have 2 main window sets I use:

1 - the mixer window is docked on the left, "Master Track -> Show in mixer" is disabled, and "Show multiple rows of tracks when size permits" is disabled. The mixer window width is set to the exact width of one track, so the idea is that as you select different tracks, the mixer window on the left "follows" your selection so you can see a full track overview.

2 - the mixer window is docked at the bottom of the screen, and "Master Track -> Show In Mixer" is enabled.

The bug is that if Reaper's last-used window set is window set 1, when a project is loaded or a new project is created, the interface is laid out according to window set 1, but "Master Track -> Show in mixer" is incorrectly reset to enabled, so the master track does become visible, and it hogs focus even when switching between tracks, and it breaks that functionality of seeing the highlighted track off to the left when switching tracks. The only workaround is to manually load window set 1 again via its hotkey.

It'd be awesome if the status of "Master Track" settings was correctly recalled when loading projects or starting new projects, rather than just when recalling window sets manually.
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #15
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

Aw, at first I thought this was fixed but I guess the "Video:" prefix means it's something else. I'll continue to wait impatiently. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
ivansc

Quote:
tnx bro
Both Tod and I forgot to say that when you get to landoleet the downloads are in text format so you will need to figure out which version you need to download, too.

... probably this one: reaper50rc6_x64-install.exe
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #17
PitchSlap

I seem to be having much higher CPU usage in the last little while. Older projects that used to play fine now max (RT CPU) out and stutter like mad. The performance window is showing a lot higher usage on many tracks too (some 4-8% of a 3ghz quad i7), which is abnormal. Even freezing a bunch of tracks with the highest CPU doesn't allow glitch free playback of the previous fine projects. It seems to get worse when I start clicking different tracks, and restarting playback can temporarily help.

If I'm the only one, I'll assume it's something messed up on my end, but thought it worth mentioning...
Old 07-11-2015, 01:34 AM   #18
StefanMax

Default Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post

I hope these short faders aren't intentional!
I can confirm but it's in the default 5.0 theme only so it seems to be a WALTER issue.
StefanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #19
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Yep, the Large ca TCP layout breaks somewhat if the panel height is at minimum. Once fader is visible, it seems to act fine. In cb Large + values and cd Large expanding layouts there is an unnecessary gap in front of the volume knob, again when the panel is at min height.

Quote:
You are probably pointing out the empty space in the panel. Afais, this one is a trade-off between the usable fader length and the space which has to be reserved for it in the flow design. Volume fader is the next one to come in when you stretch the TCP bigger but in your example there is not enough room for it yet.

One way to compensate would be to make the fader initially shorter. But faders are not that good if they are too short, especially in a large layout. Other would be simply resizing the panel so the fader is visible on the 2nd row. Won't take the empty space away but at least the fader is usable all the time. Third option would be a different flow order.

These are compromises flow design has with in-between panel sizes. There's no way to get rid of them all, like eg. occasional empty panel space for every possible flow option. Surely fine to try and fine tune the theme but there will be cases where users have to meet at least half way regardless. Meaning, if you are resizing the panels anyway to see/not see something, that's what you gotta do.

Quote:
I would personally keep Bypass and Hide/clear buttons always together. Now there are layouts vs. sizes where Bypass is all alone in first row with lots of empty space in front.

---

Volume knob shading got lighter in RC4 already, thanks for that. A bit easier to see the indicator line at extremes now.

---

As pointed out in Issue Tracker by equix, VST3 versions of Boz Digital Labs fx (Imperial Delay here) won't call the presets which were saved in a project. I have currently no means to verify with other daws.

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5616

Last edited by xpander; 07-11-2015 at 07:05 AM.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #20
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I seem to be having much higher CPU usage in the last little while. Older projects that used to play fine now max (RT CPU) out and stutter like mad. The performance window is showing a lot higher usage on many tracks too (some 4-8% of a 3ghz quad i7), which is abnormal. Even freezing a bunch of tracks with the highest CPU doesn't allow glitch free playback of the previous fine projects. It seems to get worse when I start clicking different tracks, and restarting playback can temporarily help.

If I'm the only one, I'll assume it's something messed up on my end, but thought it worth mentioning...
Not to seem paranoid (and I know the devs must hate this) but I seem to have this too.

Projects that would normally be ok at 64 samples and way into 80% now glitch and stutter at around 50% even at 256 samples.

This is even if no track is selected.

I'll do more tests when I can
Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Not to seem paranoid (and I know the devs must hate this) but I seem to have this too.

Projects that would normally be ok at 64 samples and way into 80% now glitch and stutter at around 50% even at 256 samples.

This is even if no track is selected.

I'll do more tests when I can
In what version did this change?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

What version did it change in?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #23
PitchSlap

Quote:
What version did it change in?
I'm trying to narrow it down, but I'm definitely getting extremely high CPU usage across the board.

I just did a quick test with the same project sorting the tracks by CPU usage in the performance window.

Almost double the CPU usage between versions.

(Pre36 might not be the last "working" version but I think I tried RC1 yesterday and still had the problem)

RC7b

Pre36
Old 07-12-2015, 06:11 PM   #24
PitchSlap

I just noticed some settings were automatically changed between the two versions (perhaps there are others too).

Even when I manually change them back in Pre7b I still get the poor performance. When I restart playback the CPU% numbers seem normal, but then spike within a second and stay there.

Perhaps these newly changed values are overwriting even manually inputted values? Going from 8 to 4 CPUs/threads would certainly seem in line with nearly half the performance. Note I only have 4 physical CPUs (8 with hyperthreading).

Pre 36

RC7b
Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #25
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I'm trying to narrow it down, but I'm definitely getting extremely high CPU usage across the board.

I just did a quick test with the same project sorting the tracks by CPU usage in the performance window.

Almost double the CPU usage between versions.

(Pre36 might not be the last "working" version but I think I tried RC1 yesterday and still had the problem)

RC7b

Pre36
Ahh, actually the perceived CPU count changed, which affects the performance meter, but not the actual performance.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #26
PitchSlap

Projects that play fine with CPU to spare in an older version immediately stutter even if I freeze half a dozen tracks with the highest usage in the new version, which as musicbynumbers also reported, indicate performance is indeed being affected.

My internet is intermittent at the moment, but I'll check rc5 again to see if that works, which could narrow it down to the new multithreading changes. I can't imagine I could've lived with this problem for long so it's probably recent.

For the moment I'll stick with pre36 since it's working fine.

If you need any other information let me know.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #27
musicbynumbers

Quote:
In what version did this change?
For me,I'm not sure yet as I don't ever normally need to look at the CPU with modern PCs

I only noticed because of I've started doing bigger orch stuff again but it's definitely since 5 at some point.

I'll try going back a few pres and see.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #28
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
# VST: ignore parameter change notifications when opening UI
# VST: prevent certain plugins from creating undo point on playback start [p=1542953]
Thank you!
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote