Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
jonbash
Human being with feelings

Default Adding a MIDI input/audio output track for multi-out VSTi

So the way I like to set up Kontakt and the like, I like to have one track for each instrument sending MIDI to the main instrument track that holds Kontakt, which then sends back audio to each MIDI track. So, for example, I'd have track 2 sending MIDI to channel 1 on the instrument track (track 1) and track 2 receiving audio channel 1/2 on audio from track 1. Is there a way to add a new track with the next open sends and receives? So for example, if I have tracks hooked up to MIDI channels 1 and 2 on an instrument track and receiving from 1/2 & 3/4, it would create a track that's sending to MIDI channel 3 and receiving audio from channels 5/6?
jonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

I don't think it's possible with the current Reaper. Recent SWS extension betas which need Reaper v5 have some ReaScript API functions which should help. I have a bunch of scripts running with the v5 preview version to add MIDI input tracks sending on the next available channel(s) and to add audio output tracks receiving on the next available channel pair.

A problem is that there might already exist audio sends to other tracks (eg FX buses) on your VSTi track, so the script has to ask the user for a decision if it detects existing sends. Makes it a bit annoying. I didn't find a good solution to this yet.

Side note: keep in mind that the combined (MIDI-in/audio-out) tracks you want to use are problematic concerning delay compensation in Reaper. Not recommended.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
jonbash
Human being with feelings

Thanks for your help! The first issue shouldn't be a problem for me, as I never put FX sends on the instrument tracks; only on the combo MIDI/audio tracks or folders.

I hadn't heard about the delay compensation issue; is there anywhere else I might read about that issue? I'm interested.
jonbash is offline   Reply With Quote