Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
reggieb
Human being with feelings

Default Using Behringer FCB1010 controller VSTs

Hey guys,

I am looking to control VST parameters (Guitar Rig 2, Amplitude2, and JS) from a Behringer foot board. I have figured out how to turn off some paramaters in JS (like bypass) but can't seem to figure out how to toggle them on/off.

Do I need to send Note ON/OFF for toggling? Can I assign CC's for the same purpose?

Can I use/send Program Changes (PC) to change things like FX chain loading for new effects.

Can you control any of the track parameters (volume, pan, etc) from a midi controller? how about basic controls like play/stop/rew...

I've looked into the latest doc, but I seem to be missing something here.

Also, if it matters, I have the Uno Firmware upgrade to the FCB, so it supports stompbox mode.

Thanks for the help!

I love Reaper. Gonna buy it next week!

RB
reggieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
BoxOfSnoo

To control the settings of the VST, go into the FX dialog and click the "Learn" button at the top right of the screen.

Or, click on the envelopes button on the track, immediately to the left of the FX one. You shoud be able to see the parameters there. If you program stompbox mode to send 2 different values you should be able to learn to control 2 parameters...

Not sure how to automate a whole FX chain, though.

For track parameters, go into Keyboard/Control, click "New" then move the control.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
reggieb

thanks I'll give it a try.

Getting closer. I was using the little 'S' shaped icon between I/O and FX to select and arm parameters. Learn is easier for sure.

Still trying to figure out how to get toggle on/off to turn fx on and off. I'll keep hunting.

I like your Godin! I own a LGXT w/13 pin synth access. Nice guitars for the $.

RB
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
BoxOfSnoo

Do you mean bypass? That is one of the automatable (?) parameters (the last one). I don't have my FCB with me right now, so I can't test. Try setting bypass to one of your stompbox pedals. I know you can set alternating values for stompboxes, so that might help. I can try it out when I get home next week, to make sure.

Yes, I'm still crazy about this guitar. At times I wish I would have held out for the 13-pin/ghost saddles but then again, it's a super versatile guitar already. I told someone once that the Godin SD stands for "Screaming Deal"... absurdly cheap for that quality!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
reggieb

I basically want to toggle on an efx like say delay. I would assume that bypass would have 2 states - on and off.

I have my fbc pedal # 6 sending CC 120 on the one state and sending CC 121 for the second press. The first CC send does turn the by pass state ON, but it wont turn the effect back ON (ie bypass is OFF).

I want to create a virtual guitar stomp pedal board.

Any help is greatly appreciated. A .syx file would be fantastic!

Ron
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
reggieb

Default Got it now

Okay, here's the oversight and the fix

I needed to setup the Stompbox mode to issue a '0' for off and a '127' for on. I had the FCB1010 editor configured to show only the 2 CC's, not toggle them on consecutive pushes of the button.

Button '6' sends as a toggle
CC 1 value 0 = Efx off (bypassed)
CC 1 value 127= Efx on

Anyone know how to issue Program Changes to change entire VST presets?

Ron
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
BoxOfSnoo

I finally dragged my computer and FCB to the same location (hey, it's all the way across the ROOM ok?) and came up with the same realization as you.

For your next request, why don't you have a master input track routed to as many tracks as you want FX chains. Then create a keyboard shortcut attached to each footswitch to: "Track:Bypass all FX" + "Track:Toggle FX on Track xx"

Alternatively, instead of bypass, you should maybe toggle mute, except you want to include steps to make sure your input track is not muted.

That should do it. Let me know how that works.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
reggieb

Default Program Change from Midi

I think that could work, but why not just a simple PC to change the patch.

Anyone have an answer?

Ron
Old 07-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #9
BoxOfSnoo

You do send a PC. You learn that from the keyboard dialog and map it to up to six actions.

Or I guess you mean you want to adjust the "VST program" parameter? I'm not sure, you could probably hack something together with AutoHotkey. This doesn't seem as flexible to me though, I'd rather have a whole FX chain that I could switch in and out with a single stomp.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
ZOLAIVE

High,
I unfortunatly bought a FCB 1010 Midi Foot Controller thinking the manual would allow me to understand how to use it in Reaper to change from one FX chain to another one... And It seems to be very complicated... Is there a step by step tutorial or something like that on the web ? Does someone here could do that ?
Thanks for your help
Olivier
ZOLAIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
TimOBrien

Programming the FCB1010 is a bit arcane.

You might want to try one of the visual editors:

http://www.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

(I use mine to control my Yamaha vl70-m/WX-5 windsynth but all I need is patch changes which is fairly simple....)

There is also a FCB1010 Yahoo group that can help you:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
Gerry G

Default Do not forget similar kit

I have the Roland FC-300 midi foot switch controller which seems to be very similar.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FC-300/index.html

Often when looking up stuff I find a manual, newsgroup or something for a very similar bit of kit to that I am using.

The FC-300 was designed to go with the VG-99 Guitar Synth which I do not have but it is useful for all midi work and (I would think) very close in operation to the Behringer FCB 1010.

Tweak has a useful article here which does not answer your question but gives some useful tips: http://tweakheadz.com/review_of_the_roland_vg99.htm

The Tweak thing links to a thread on midi and guitars too.

The answer to this thread, though, I think lies in using the midi learn functions. Reading the midi faq on the web will give the insight you need to understand the terminology and then the sky is the limit.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
KLOPT

Sorry for necroing an old thread, but if your controller just sends out program change messages, you might want to check out this JS solution:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=179526
KLOPT is offline   Reply With Quote