Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
cdmstudios
Human being with feelings

Default weird splits in recording new takes mode

I've been meaning to post this question for a long time. When you're in the recording mode that "splits existing items and creates new takes", why do I end up with all sorts of strange splits in my next recording in places where there were no breaks before? I can take on item, start recording before its start point and then stop, and it will still be mysteriously split where I never split it, and not where I stopped recording.

any ideas?
cdmstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
nofish

Hard to say (for me) what situations you mean exactly without seeing a screenshot, but maybe try

Options -> Take lane behaviour -> enable 'Display empty take lanes'.

This avoids what I call 'lane jumping', meaning every take now stays in its original lane and helped me a lot getting to grips with this recording mode (before this optin was introduced I always found it too confusing).

edit:
I think this option doesn't change 'how' takes are split though, only how they are displayed. So maybe that's not what you're looking for.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
cdmstudios

OK, I see what it's doing. It's creating a split wherever there was a stop in recording, including the boundaries of the first recording. So, if you record over something and make the start prior to the original's start and past the original's end, you'll have 3 items. I just assumed as long as the last recording is the longest one, there would be no breaks in it since you can access the other takes with the T command to toggle through them. It would be nice if that could be changed. Seems unnecessary and messy
cdmstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmstudios View Post
OK, I see what it's doing. It's creating a split wherever there was a stop in recording, including the boundaries of the first recording. So, if you record over something and make the start prior to the original's start and past the original's end, you'll have 3 items. I just assumed as long as the last recording is the longest one, there would be no breaks in it since you can access the other takes with the T command to toggle through them. It would be nice if that could be changed. Seems unnecessary and messy
It's a feature and it's intentional.

You're using the "takes" recording mode, that adds new takes to the 1st recorded item as additional audio streams. All the streams are split in the same spot because there's only a single item (just with multiple audio streams for each take).

Browse the "Reaper take system" and the "takes system sucks" threads for details. Reaper also has a "normal" recording mode where every new "take" is printed as a single normal item.

Read the threads. Pick your battles.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote