Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #41
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Szwajcer View Post
In relation to that there is a very cool feature in Midas live consoles called POP groups, witch are actually a VCA's, but with unique behavior. When you select particular VCA, the only tracks visible in the mixer are those related to that VCA, all other tracks are temporarly hidden. It's very handy when you're using DAW controller or when those tracks are scrambled all over the mixer. Many people in live sound use it just to simplify their workflow so they don't need to scrool all the tracks in big projects to find the one they are looking for, it saves time :-)

please, please, please :-)
+1 to that.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #42
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
In relation to that there is a very cool feature in Midas live consoles called POP groups, witch are actually a VCA's, but with unique behavior. When you select particular VCA, the only tracks visible in the mixer are those related to that VCA, all other tracks are temporarly hidden. It's very handy when you're using DAW controller or when those tracks are scrambled all over the mixer. Many people in live sound use it just to simplify their workflow so they don't need to scrool all the tracks in big projects to find the one they are looking for, it saves time :-)

please, please, please :-)
I have a bunch of toolbar buttons for the purpose of "showing the members of group X".

This is done with a custom action, and it requires the SWS extension:
SWS: Show all tracks
Group: Select all tracks in group 01
SWS: Show selected track(s) in TCP,hide others
SWS: Show selected track(s) in MCP, hide others
Track: Unselect all tracks

It might be cooler to do a toggle that can revert back to the previous view, but I haven't needed that just yet.

It's easy to customize and attach to any midi/osc message or key combo.

I was going to use something like this for drilling down in to VCA group slaves in a script, but as Reaper doesn't permit VCA masters controlling other VCA masters(in a VCA fashion), that is not happening, and thus there's no stacked hierarchy possible without massive efforts on the part of the user to re-add tracks to fudge this hierarchy in to existence. Maybe later.

The SWS extension also contains actions to copy and paste track groupings. So you can copy them from a member of group A and paste that status to other tracks, OVERWRITING the old group memberships. Works fine with the new VCA flags.

If you need anything else in this direction, such as native actions to toggle-show-only group members of the currently selected track, I'd support that .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #43
Marcin Szwajcer

hmmm, Ok, I'll try to do it by SWS, but I still thing that this should be "native" to be simple to engage. Another thing is that those VCA master faders should have priviliges to be placed in mixer on some special space, like "show folders to left". There is also another BIG advantage when it would be possible to put those VCA allways visible in the mixer, so you can scroll all the tracks, and VCA's are allways in your view. Alternatively there could be another mixer just for VCA's. VCA's are verry useful when mixing with atomation on VCA's.
Marcin Szwajcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #44
Superfly76

Quote:
hmmm, Ok, I'll try to do it by SWS, but I still thing that this should be "native" to be simple to engage. Another thing is that those VCA master faders should have priviliges to be placed in mixer on some special space, like "show folders to left". There is also another BIG advantage when it would be possible to put those VCA allways visible in the mixer, so you can scroll all the tracks, and VCA's are allways in your view. Alternatively there could be another mixer just for VCA's. VCA's are verry useful when mixing with atomation on VCA's.
I like your idea of having VCAs always in view; as an option of course.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #45
Viente

Is it possible to make different font size in ruler optional? Or include setting to Theme tweaker to change secondary font size as well?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #46
Marcin Szwajcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I have a bunch of toolbar buttons for the purpose of "showing the members of group X".

This is done with a custom action, and it requires the SWS extension:
SWS: Show all tracks
Group: Select all tracks in group 01
SWS: Show selected track(s) in TCP,hide others
SWS: Show selected track(s) in MCP, hide others
Track: Unselect all tracks
Ok, I've done it, works like a charm! You can see it there, with controller it just ROCKS! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTLB...ature=youtu.be

Now I have to figure out how to hard-assin VCA's to faders 17-24 and trigger POP GROUPS by selecting those channels. This would be absolutly perfect workflow for me
Marcin Szwajcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #47
vanhaze

OSX 10.10.2, Reaper 50pre19, 64bit.

- Make a Window Set, containing the Midi Editor.
- Assign a keyboard shortcut that Window Set.
- Save Project and Action list set.
- Close Reaper
- Open Reaper and load that previous Project
- make an empty midi item on a track and select it.
- Hit the keyboard shortcut for recalling the Window Set which contains the Midi Editor.

Result: the Midi Editor DOESN'T open.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #48
Coachz

What cool control surface is that?

Quote:
Ok, I've done it, works like a charm! You can see it there, with controller it just ROCKS! :-)

Now I have to figure out how to hard-assin VCA's to faders 17-24 and trigger POP GROUPS by selecting those channels. This would be absolutly perfect workflow for me
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #49
planetnine

Tascam US-2400, Coachz...

>
Old 03-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #50
rbdwarf

On Win7 64bit: When I check video "available decoder information" it tells me "VLC 2.0.x or 2.1.x not found" - not surprising since 2.2.0 is the current build. Video still runs better than on 4.77 :-) Is Reaper tied that closely to VLC that it only supports specific builds?

--
Rob
rbdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #51
airon

Quote:

A LUA script should take care of hard assignments. What are POP GROUPS ? I'm curious.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #52
RobinGShore

If I have a VCA master with its volume envelope set to fader scaling, running the action "apply all VCAs from selected tracks..." resets the envelope to amplitude scaling:
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
What are POP GROUPS ? I'm curious.
Marcin pretty much explained that already above, you even quoted it yourself.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #54
dtrud0h

Default Just a thought for the VCA grouping and track view discussion

I have not used any other DAW except Reaper so I don't know exactly (or even anywhere remotely close to) what I'm talking about, nor am I a professional or even a remotely qualified audio engineer, musician, or anything really important like that, just a regular guy with an idea that may make sense.
We have tracks and folder tracks already, so can we have the option when a track is a VCA to display that group in a folder-like configuration? Some were saying that in so and so DAW they could bring up all the tracks controlled by a certain VCA and have quicker access to the fader and controls for each included track in the VCA. And as I said, I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't know if a track can be a subordinate to more than one VCA at a time, which may make the above less than Developer friendly, depending on how the user decides to display each set at a given time, but we have indentation for tracks that are in a folder, maybe an indent from the opposite direction to indicate a VCA group and an icon to expand or fold the group away like a folder? Just throwing these things out there so others can consider them.

Only other thing I can think of is that I think that the actions for the new Propagate features should go into the "Item" menu, or Item settings tab and be a default icon on each item(or an optional choice like item FX) with a toggle state and indication for it's state.

**Edit- When I say VCA above I really mean VCA Master, and the options should really only apply to the master of these groups. Other options may be to have the ability , from these displayed groups to remove a certain track from a certain VCA Group, hide the track from the group view, or lock a certain track into a group??...

Last edited by dtrud0h; 03-20-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Clarification
dtrud0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrud0h View Post
We have tracks and folder tracks already, so can we have the option when a track is a VCA to display that group in a folder-like configuration? [...]
**Edit- When I say VCA above I really mean VCA Master, and the options should really only apply to the master of these groups. [...]
This does not seem to be compatible with the current implementation of VCAs, since that is non-hierarchical, while folders are strictly hierarchical. (Example: track 1 is part of VCA group 1 and 2, track 2 is part of VCA group 2 and 3, track 3 is part of VCA group 1 and 3. Confirm for yourself that this can never work with VCA groups being represented as folders.)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #56
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
If I have a VCA master with its volume envelope set to fader scaling, running the action "apply all VCAs from selected tracks..." resets the envelope to amplitude scaling:
That action clears the volume envelope on the master -- it will then be reset to the default preferred scaling on the next showing of it (you can change that in prefs/envelopes).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #57
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That action clears the volume envelope on the master -- it will then be reset to the default preferred scaling on the next showing of it (you can change that in prefs/envelopes).
Gotcha. Just changed my preferences. It still seems a little weird to me that the scaling can get reset by this, but it probably won't be much of problem as I imagine most people will stick to one scaling mode or the other for all their envelopes.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #58
Viente

ReaControlMIDI pitch wheel automation not working until i click the fader.

Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #59
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi!

I´m seeing a problem with the FX Bay on pre19b that won´t show on v4.77.

Summary : many JS FXs appear as unavailable on the FX Bay, even though they load and work fine.

If it is not related to any setting in my setup, you should see in a new project that if you create a track and load JS MIDI Tool, for example, it will show the problem described above.

Thanks in advance.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #60
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Hi!

I´m seeing a problem with the FX Bay on pre19b that won´t show on v4.77.

Summary : many JS FXs appear as unavailable on the FX Bay, even though they load and work fine.

If it is not related to any setting in my setup, you should see in a new project that if you create a track and load JS MIDI Tool, for example, it will show the problem described above.

Thanks in advance.
Ah yeah, this is only when using the new description-based jsfx view. I'll fix this!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote