Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Jasipi
Human being with feelings

Default DAW & VSTi's on dedicated drive?

Hello! I was wondering if there is any benefit in having Reaper and VSTi's on a dedicated HDD? I would probably feel better about putting Reaper on its own HDD so that when all those unused media files build up (and trust me, there are alot of them!) i won't feel like i'm killing my current HDD.

I've heard from a couple of different sources that having the DAW on a different drive from the operating system can help increase performance. I'm no tech geek though.

Advice?
Jasipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
planetnine

I wouldn't bother putting the REAPER program files on a different drive to your system files, but it is worth storing all your projects and media files together on a separate drive.

You do this by telling the project settings dialogue to store them in a folder relative to your project directory (I use "audio files") and then saving that as a default setting.

This way, once you've saved your project, any recorded audio appears in an "audio files" folder in that directory, so your project is organised and all relevant files together for when you back-up, archive or transfer it. All you need is to sensibly store your project folders in an organised way on this drive and you'll be able to forget worrying about where stuff is permanently.

I don't know about other VSTis, but with Superior Drummer it gives you options to store the audio libraries on a non-system drive and it is worth it for preventing sample fragmentation and for easy backup/2nd location use of the sample audio.

I use two large working drives for projects and a third for SD sample libraries.

>
Old 10-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Jasipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
You do this by telling the project settings dialogue to store them in a folder relative to your project directory (I use "audio files") and then saving that as a default setting.

I'm not sure i understand what you mean. The default place all my projects and media are stored is in a folder named "REAPER Media". Are you suggesting that i move this folder to a dedicated drive and then from in Reaper direct everything to this folder (if it hasn't been already)?

I could probably just use a cheap external HDD for this task right?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
TimOBrien

Setup for max efficiency for daws:

Boot drive - OS, apps and vsts
Second separate drive - sample libraries
Third separate drive - project folders and audio tracks

Putting reaper or vsts on separate drive gains you nothing as they are loaded entirely into ram and are small anyway.
The gains are from putting large files like samples and audio tracks that need to stream fluidly over larger amounts of time.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Jasipi

So i should save all my projects and media to a separate drive? Would an external USB 3.0 HDD do?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasipi View Post
Hello! I was wondering if there is any benefit in having Reaper and VSTi's on a dedicated HDD? I would probably feel better about putting Reaper on its own HDD so that when all those unused media files build up (and trust me, there are alot of them!) i won't feel like i'm killing my current HDD.

I've heard from a couple of different sources that having the DAW on a different drive from the operating system can help increase performance. I'm no tech geek though.

Advice?
No.

Running an app has more to do with the OS calls and support. Keep apps on your OS volume. Same with app plugins.

Putting your audio files on a separate HDD can be more efficient with older HDD technology. However, with SSD technology now, OS/apps/*audio on a single SSD is top performance. The audio workspace on your SSD would be your high performance workspace. You can still host audio files on standard HDD's for all but the most demanding performance. If you do have multiple drives available like this, use your higher performance space for current projects and store your archives on slower drives.

Some instrument plugins use samples. This is probably what you were thinking about - putting the samples on a separate drive. This can be more efficient as I mentioned for older HDD technology. Same deal with a SSD though - more efficient on the SSD than it would be to put them on a different non-SSD volume.

Last edited by serr; 10-19-2014 at 10:28 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Jasipi

You've lost me mate. The only question i have now is concerning projects and media. Would it be a good idea to have Reaper save projects and media to my external HDD? Just a yes/no will do, and if you'd like to give a brief explanation of why then go ahead.

If yes, it would be cool if someone could tell me how i can set Reaper up to do this

Last edited by Jasipi; 10-18-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #8
planetnine

I just did.

Project settings dialogue. Change your media files folder from a global one (fixed path) to a relative one (relative to your project directory).

This way, instead of having all your media files lumped together in one global folder, they are saved in a folder relative to the one each project is saved in. This means your media files stay with the Project they belong to, in an "audio files" folder in your project folder.

Have a read through project settings in the manual.

>
Old 10-19-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
Jasipi

Quote:
This way, instead of having all your media files lumped together in one global folder, they are saved in a folder relative to the one each project is saved in. This means your media files stay with the Project they belong to, in an "audio files" folder in your project folder.

Oh, well i already have it set up like this. I must be crazy because i'm still lost lol. What i mean to ask is should all those project/media files be saved on a dedicated drive, specifically so that the excess of media files don't destroy my current HDD?

If i put the Reaper Media folder onto an external drive will everything still go to that particular folder? I have an external HDD ready to go, just waiting on confirmation!
Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
planetnine

It isn't one folder, but many. It's a folder for every REAPER project.

I have two working drives on my workstation. Each one has a folder called audio projects. That folder is divided into folders for clients or events, and subdivided again until it contains a single project (or group of projects that share common audio, such as different mixes, or different songs from live multitracks).

The project files, RPP-BAK, undo files, notes text files, tracksheet scans, etc live in this folder, along with a subfolder called "audio files" which contains all the media files and peak files for the project or projects "above" them.

This is how I manage my REAPER projects, organised, hierachial folders in working drives, containing individual project folders with audio file subfolders. If this (or similar) is how you organise your projects I apologise for being at cross-purposes, but your answers didn't seem to support that idea.

If this is the case and your audio files won't get separated from their projects, then simply get a large drive or drives (7200rpm 1 or 2 TByte) and install them inside your computer case, and store all your working projects there. If you can afford large SSD drives, even better. Copy all your existing projects across -it'll defrag them by copying.

This will avoid the sharing of space and drive head access with OS calls and fragmentation of your projects and audio files with system files.

>
Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
Jasipi

I assume you're thinking of the same thing but i can't really decipher all your writing mate lol I'll explain very specifically my set up, and what it is i am asking.

I have one folder called "Reaper Media", inside this folder is unused media and project folders. Inside the project folders there are project files and subfolders which contain the media files that belong to their respective projects. Just like you explained.

All i want to know is if this "Reaper Media" folder, which contains EVERYTHING i save in Reaper should be on a dedicated drive? The amount of excess media being saved to my HDD after every attempt at a piece of music must be bad for my HDD, so i want to save it all to a HDD that i don't mind treating like a media trash bin.

Yes save all media to separate drive, or no?

Last edited by Jasipi; 10-19-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
planetnine

Is your REAPER media folder within your REAPER program folders?

If yes, copy the contents into a folder on your new drive.

If no, move the entire folder into your new drive.

Keep your project data away from your program folders. Make it distinct and separate so that you can use it, manipulate it, archive it, back it up.

Are we understanding each other now?

Edit: why are they unused?

>
Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Jasipi

Quote:
Are we understanding each other now?

Edit: why are they unused?

Yeah i think so mate. My Reaper Media folder where all my projects are saved is in My Documents. I assume that makes it safe to move. I'm pretty sure that was its default location.

When i mess up and have to do multiple takes for a guitar part the deleted media goes into the Reaper Media folder, the same place where project folders are stored. I refer to this as unused media. The media that is still being used in the project goes into the media subfolder in its respective project folder

So it should be okay to just move "Reaper Media" onto the new HDD, and projects will still be saved there? Or will i have to reallocate the save path or whatever? Would HDD speed be something to consider here as well?

Last edited by Jasipi; 10-21-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Jasipi

Well i tried it out, but the media deleted from projects still gets saved onto my internal HDD. I want the unused media to go to the dedicated drive, how do i direct it?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
planetnine

Can you explain how and at what point you delete this media?

Is it rejected at the point of stopping after a record pass?

I've never considered where the rejected media recordings go, I presumed they were just deleted.

I need to investigate...

>
Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #16
Jasipi

Well say i do a rough take, and will do a new crispy clean final take later, the deleted rough take will be put into the same folder as project folders. I can move the folder that holds everything onto the external HDD and save projects there from then on, but any deleted media will just create a new folder in My Documents (on the internal HDD) and save itself in there.

I can't remember if takes that were recorded but deleted straight away save anywhere on my PC. Maybe it would be easier to reinstall Reaper on it's own dedicated internal HDD?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #17
Tod

Quote:
Well say i do a rough take, and will do a new crispy clean final take later, the deleted rough take will be put into the same folder as project folders. I can move the folder that holds everything onto the external HDD and save projects there from then on, but any deleted media will just create a new folder in My Documents (on the internal HDD) and save itself in there.
You should select the path for your audio files in Project Settings>Media. First you create the Folder on your external HDD and then Browse for it and select it in Project Settings>Media.

Quote:
I can't remember if takes that were recorded but deleted straight away save anywhere on my PC. Maybe it would be easier to reinstall Reaper on it's own dedicated internal HDD?
I think if you delete the takes before saving them, they will be completely deleted. Heh heh, at least I hope so.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #18
Jasipi

I'm waiting on an internal HDD, as opposed to an external HDD (so i don't accidentally lose it). I'm hoping to just redirect all media and projects to the dedicated HDD. If i cannot figure it out i'll be back here with questions
Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Jasipi

Okay, well it all works! I have a problem still.. When i set the media path to the specific folder i want, and save as default project settings it resets itself after i have closed and reopened Reaper. After resetting itself all media goes into the same folder as the project the media was originally recorded with, I definitely do not want that! Too confusing haha

Why won't the settings save?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
planetnine

Quote:
Okay, well it all works! I have a problem still.. When i set the media path to the specific folder i want, and save as default project settings it resets itself after i have closed and reopened Reaper. After resetting itself all media goes into the same folder as the project the media was originally recorded with, I definitely do not want that! Too confusing haha

Why won't the settings save?

You can press the "Save as default project settings" button at the bottom of the Project Settings dialogue, that usually does the trick...

>
Old 10-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #21
Jasipi

It's actually not working haha.. What is happening is all my old projects are still saved as "media" for the default path. Is there a way to change that without going through everything one by one?

Also it seems as though the projects are not creating subfolders for media anymore, so?

Last edited by Jasipi; 10-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 AM   #22
Jasipi

Anyone please? i can't figure this out.

All my old projects when loaded have the old media path. When i change the media path, save as default and then save the project it changes to the new media path, but if i load another old project the media path changes back to what ever was saved with that project. When i save a new media path as default for the old project, the time signature and tempo change as well, it is very annoying.

Right now i've set the media path to it's own folder, but none of it seems to go in there. I have the "Create subdirectory for project" and "move all media into project directory" boxes checked. The media saved in a project gets put in the media folder, but not into a subfolder like it used to. The deleted media gets chucked into the project folder as well..

I don't know how to set this up, or if it is even possible to set it how i want it :s
Old 11-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #23
Fex

tl; dr

It sounds like this is unnecessarily complicated.

Without opening REAPER, open your old projects directory, select all your old project subdirectories, and cut and paste them to your new projects directory (I know, I know, but don't trust me, trust REAPER). When you open a project from the new directory, it will, by default, save to that directory. REAPER likes to put things back exactly where it found them. You won't be able to open a project from File > Recent projects until you have opened it from the new location, of course. Set the new default path for new projects, save as such, and you're good to go.

Last edited by Fex; 11-01-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #24
Jasipi

I'm not sure what you mean?

All my projects are on the new dedicated drive. When i save a new project on the new drive all of the projects media goes in the project folder along with the project file but not into a media subfolder.

I have the correct boxes checked as i mentioned, i haven't changed anything except the media path and location of all my media. The media path isn't working either though, because all the deleted media just gets chucked in the project folder with which the media was recorded instead of the folder i attempted to direct it to :s

And as i mentioned upon opening an older project the media path is changed to the old location. I haven't actually saved any media on an old project though so i'm not sure where it will all end up.

I don't understand how this works lol
Old 11-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #25
Fex

I think I understand how it works (sort of) but I misunderstood what you were trying to do. You want all your recorded media in one directory? Cut it all and paste it there (you can do this in one hit by searching your Projects directory for wav and cutting from the results window). When opening a project, REAPER will ask for the location of the first missing file. Navigate to it. The project should then load (REAPER won't then ask for the location of every other missing file in the project, it will look in the new location).
Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #26
Jasipi

I think you misunderstand again. All my projects save and load fine. It's a problem with organization i'm having. I'll explain as clear as i can what the problem is and what i want it to do if possible.

Setup:

On the dedicated drive i have 2 folders - Reaper Projects and Reaper Media. I save all my projects in "Reaper Projects" with the 2 boxes checked so the media from those projects save into a subfolder within the project folder. I have the media path set to "Reaper Media", so that when i delete media it goes to this folder to await permanent deletion.

Problem:

My project folders don't make subfolders for media anymore, all of the media (including deleted media) just goes in the same folder as the project file. It used to be - Reaper Projects > Project folders > project file & media subfolder > media. Now it is Reaper Projects > Project folder > project file & media.

Then there is also the issue of having to manually change the media path for old projects because it resets itself :s

What i want:

All i want is for projects to save into "Reaper Projects" with subfolders in each project folder that store the media being used in the project and all the deleted media to automatically go to "Reaper Media" where it can be out of the way and be ready for permanent deletion.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #27
Fex

Gotcha. I now fully understand your problem.
Unfortunately, I don't have any solutions.
Just as an observation;
Quote:
My project folders don't make subfolders for media anymore
I don't remember REAPER ever doing that, and I've been using it since the dark ages. Admitedly, my memory is not great....
Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #28
Jasipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
I don't remember REAPER ever doing that, and I've been using it since the dark ages. Admitedly, my memory is not great....
It's handy for keeping everything neat!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #29
Jasipi

Someone here must have answers?

I'm getting pretty annoyed. The recording path is set to my "Reaper Media" folder and has been saved as default approximately 100,000 times.. When i start a new project it is still set to this path. If i record and delete takes in this project the first time around everything does what it is supposed to (except there is no subfolder for the project media).

HOWEVER, if i close it down and reopen that project one of two random things seems to happen.. The media path is empty and has to be set again. Even if i reset it, when i delete media from this project it stays in the project folder and does not move to the "Reaper Media" folder. OR the media path is still set but ALL media just goes into the "Reaper Media" folder and none of it into the project.

I think i ruined reaper by moving the folders or something? :s Should i just uninstall and reinstall it all on the dedicated HDD or something?

Last edited by Jasipi; 11-02-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #30
planetnine

With the exception of your "deleted/unused items" (which I'm actually not following) it is a very simple process.

Once set up so that a project's media is saved to a "audio files" subfolder, projects can be moved, copied, archived, etc, as self-contained units. Personally, I keep unused stuff with in with the used media unless it is large or a dead-end idea, in which case I manually delete it.

As Fex said, you're either making it unecessarily complex, or you have another issue like permissions, and you're losing me...

>
Old 11-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #31
Jasipi

Quote:
Once set up so that a project's media is saved to a "audio files" subfolder, projects can be moved, copied, archived, etc, as self-contained units. Personally, I keep unused stuff with in with the used media unless it is large or a dead-end idea, in which case I manually delete it.

Well as i mentioned since moving everything onto a new drive, media subfolders are no longer created even when the correct boxes are checked. My media path randomly changes itself back and forth even though i have saved it as default over and over. And personally i want all unused/deleted media to automatically move to a dedicated trash folder.

So it's not working too well at all anymore and i can't keep anything neat. Dang it lol

I'm guessing that Reaper doesn't actually allow you to direct deleted media, and have it automatically sent to a specific folder when deleted? To be as specific as possible, when i record something and save it in a project, come back to the project another day and decide to do a better take and so i delete the old one. I then want the media i just removed from the project to leave the project folder, it has no reason to be in there anymore and i want it to automatically go into the folder that i have directed media to go into. But i still want media that is being used in a project to go into the subfolder in the project folder. Surely that makes sense this time?

Is it possible to have it all done automatically without me manually moving media around everywhere?

Last edited by Jasipi; 11-02-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #32
Jeffsounds

Quote:
To be as specific as possible, when i record something and save it in a project, come back to the project another day and decide to do a better take and so i delete the old one. I then want the media i just removed from the project to leave the project folder, it has no reason to be in there anymore and i want it to automatically go into the folder that i have directed media to go into. But i still want media that is being used in a project to go into the subfolder in the project folder. Surely that makes sense this time?
When you come back to a project, go ahead and record your new takes. Once you get the take you want, save the project and then go to File->Clean Current Project Directory... this will bring up a box with all files not used in the project and you can delete from there. However, it just send them to a folder awaiting final delete - the RECYCLE BIN.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #33
Jasipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
When you come back to a project, go ahead and record your new takes. Once you get the take you want, save the project and then go to File->Clean Current Project Directory... this will bring up a box with all files not used in the project and you can delete from there. However, it just send them to a folder awaiting final delete - the RECYCLE BIN.

Oh wow, that is awesome. I had hoped to let the garbage build up on the dedicated drive though and not my main HDD. That is why i keep asking if i can direct where unused media goes.

Never mind fellas, i've set it back how it was before. I'll just deal with it and hopefully my drive doesn't die too soon.

Last edited by Jasipi; 11-02-2014 at 04:48 PM.