Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
sharke
Human being with feelings

Default Browser kills audio in Reaper and vice versa (Windows 7)

I don't really understand how audio works in Windows 7 so please forgive my newbieness. I have gotten Reaper set up and working with ASIO4ALL. My soundcard is a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme. The driver is the one that Windows 7 automatically installed for me. Audio generally works fine and sounds great.

The problem is that if I'm running Reaper and I try and play a YouTube video or something, I get no sound (well I do but it's just a bunch of metallic, high pitched, wispy screeches that are barely audible). If I close both Reaper and Chrome and open Chrome again, the video audio works. But then I get no audio in Reaper until I close Chrome again.

I figure that Reaper is taking full control of the soundcard when it's running. But is there any way to change this, so that I can use Reaper along with other applications that use sound? Really don't understand what's going on here.
sharke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
suleiman

that is apparently a problem with asio4all

usually you have make sure NO OTHER application is using asio driver while you are working with audio

at least you get sound with asio4all

in my case post ver 4.0 , i can see the meters move but NO sound with asio4all, despite there being no other applications using asio as far as i can see...even turned off the windows system sounds....goodbye low latency direct monitoring
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
sharke

That's the problem I had very briefly when I first installed it, but then it turns out that S/PDIF-In and S/PDIF-Out were both selected in the ASIO configuration window. Now I've run straight into another problem, lol.

I can live with asio4all taking control of the soundcard in Reaper - the real problem is that I need to be able to switch between two applications that use sound - e.g. watching a Reaper tutorial on YouTube and doing stuff in Reaper. It seems like sometimes I'm able to switch from Reaper to the video just by stopping everything in Reaper and clicking on the browser, but when I try to go back to Reaper, nothing will get the sound back unless I close both the browser and Reaper, then open Reaper again. If this is a Windows 7 related problem then I'm extremely pissed with Windows 7.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Rodal

I believe that the asio4all driver can only play sound from one application at a time. I would imagine it might be because its a one size fits all driver and it would be difficult to make a driver that worked with just about any sound device and also handle more than one audio stream at a time. I had a terratec card whose asio drivers could play multiple audiostreams at once but that was tied to the cards hardware and sadly they never updated the drivers for win7. Basically to get a better latency on just about any soundcard, you need to get exclusive access for the asio driver.

However there is a simple answer if you just want to play youtube videos and play along with reaper at the same time. In reaper/preferences/audio/device change the audio system from asio to one of the other choices. Thats what i do, i dont need super low latency for just following along with tutorial videos.
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Charango

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
..The problem is that if I'm running Reaper and I try and play a YouTube video or something, I get no sound...
I have a way around this problem maybe you can try. I go into Win7 recording properties and choose to enable "Stereo Mix" (which disables the microphone). If you don't see "stereo mix" you may have to right click in the recording properties window and tick " show disabled and disconnected devices".
Then in Reaper Audio System choose "Direct Sound" or "Wave Out" instead of ASIO (you can switch it back when you have finished)and "Stereo Mix" as the Input device.
Now open Chrome and play a youtube video, you should hear it and you can also switch over to Reaper and hear what is there, even record the youtube audio directly into Reaper if that is what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Charango; 04-05-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
sharke

Thanks guys. I think I'll just switch to DirectSound for the time being, at least until I start doing anything serious, at which point I will try Charango's solution.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Smithemyjer

same problem here. I am using M-audio 1010lt with windows XPsp3
I need to quit reaper and reload firefox to hear audio from any website or sound file on comp

Last edited by Smithemyjer; 04-27-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Smithemyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Charango

Here's a link that explains the technique I mentioned above:

For Xindows 7: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532...-record-audio/

XP: http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/no_soun...o_mix_problem/

Hope this helps
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Mini

I am not at my workstation at the moment but from memory there is an option in the audio driver menu (I have Focusrite Asio drivers) to allow applications to have exclusive access to the audio device. This needs to be unchecked. I think there is an option in the Reaper menu to allow Reaper to monopolise the audio device (or similar wording), this obviously needs to be unchecked. I can use Firefox/ Chrome and media player while Reaper is open without problems.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
bluzkat

I believe the setting you mentioned is the first one on the 'Audio' page of the preferences.

'Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive.'

Try this (if not checked already), check it.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #11
TonyL

I'm getting the same problem as the OP in 5.35 and I'm sure it is a bug because in all earlier versions it doesn't happen. See my bug report:
'Default V5.35 wants exclusive access to device'

Interestingly, in 5.35 the asio4all icon displays in the tray when Reaper runs, this has never happened with previous versions although they all used asio4all.

I know people are saying that asio4all can only play from 1 application at a time but on my Win 10 system I can play audio from any number of apps simultaneously with previous Reaper versions (without altering any options or closing the audio device) and using asi4all.

Switching to "Direct Sound" or "Wave Out" does 'cure' the problem and allow sharing of playback devices but latency then becomes noticeable when playing 'live' from a keyboard, which is a deal breaker for me.

Regarding the 'option in the Reaper menu to allow Reaper to monopolise the audio device' I can't find that to see if it is checked or not in 5.35... help please?

My fix for now is to stick with 5.34 but I hope this issue goes away in future versions.
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
ThermalNoise

I got the same problem on a mac. I'm using a presonus firepod and my operating system is el capitan.
ThermalNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
TonyL

OK, I've found time to have a play and I now think I know what is going on with my system. It may not apply to others, though. I don't often need to get involved with device drivers, things usually 'just work' with Reaper.

The ASIO4ALL driver display in the Reaper ASIO configuration window should have told me why Reaper, or whatever app was started first, was grabbing exclusive use of my audio interface. As others have said in this thread, that is how ASIO4ALL works. But my (failing) memory was telling me that previous versions of Reaper had allowed sharing of the device.

What happened was that the proprietary driver for my device, which allowed sharing, had been replaced by the ASIO4ALL driver which did not. The first time I noticed this issue was just after the upgrade. I'm not sure if the swap was related to the upgrade or not...I think not.

Replacing the proprietary driver fixed the issue, and it stayed put over several rollbacks and upgrades between versions 5.34 and 5.35. So, sorry Cockos, looks like the problem was elsewhere.

Last edited by TonyL; 04-10-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Bad grammar :(
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote