Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
sharpdog
Human being with feelings

Default Render tracks to stereo stem tracks post fader ERROR

I have noticed a problem that I believe is a bug.

If I have a track that has FX automation such as pitch, reverb wet/dry, or other automation other than volume/pan -- reaper will intermittently bypass the automation. Its a huge problem and I'm considering leaving reaper after 7+ years of faithful use (and many many records).

Video screen shot of my process:
https://youtu.be/HExLQqlBniA
sorry no audio

Link to example session:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19...ew?usp=sharing

When I use the Render dialogue instead of right clicking a bus I am able to get the expected/normal results.

In this example I have a WAVES reverb plugin and I've automated the WET/DRY levels. When I render stems the results sound nothing like the original bus. Dry!

I am aware of the difference of rendering stems pre/post fader.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be using the "freeze" function? If I use the freeze function I can hear the desired results, but I don't get the printed stem I need to import into another DAW. Right? Wrong?

If I remove the automation I get the desired results.

Has anybody else had this issue?
sharpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

This ought to work, is it something you've only seen with Waves plug-ins or can you get it to do that with say, built-in REAPER effects?

The reason I ask is that I don't have Waves installed, so I replaced the plug-in (preserving the automation you had) with another, and rendering stems produces a perfect copy of the playback...

A good thing to try is to render the stem, then unmute the original track, flip its phase, and see if the two null during playback...

Finally -- if you find that there is subtle difference in sound, it might be worth checking that your audio device samplerate and the project samplerate are the same (in some instances if the project is set to 44khz, and the device is forced to 48khz, then rendering stems might render at 44khz whereas playback would be necessarily at 48khz).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
sharpdog
Human being with feelings

Justin,
I agree this should work.
Thanks for pointing out possible errors I could be making, but I have already thought about those points you brought up.

Rendering a stem and comparing it to the original wth phase reversed absolutely doesn't cancel out the sound as it should, that was the first thing I tried to ensure that this wasn't my ears playing tricks.

Rendering the sound with the dialog box and comparing it to the orig (phase reversed) cancels out the sound.

I have also been careful to make sure all sample rates are aligned. I use a RME Fireface UC on Windows 7. I am beginning to think this is a bug with just WAVES plugins, but this is so disappointing if that is the case because many of my clients and I rely on WAVES for heavy lifting.

I think this might only happen with "quick" automation swells with WAVES plugins. I'll try to recreate with other brands or plugins.

I use this feature ALL THE TIME and it always works, but in the last few months I have started to find these errors. Its a new thing.

Adding to the confusion, this problem is intermittent. Sometimes it works as usual and others it doesn't. The fact that I get strikingly different results by rendering with the dialog box and by using the shortcut makes me so uneasy.

Last edited by sharpdog; 04-17-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammer
sharpdog is offline   Reply With Quote