Old 04-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
SymboliC
Human being with feelings

Default Time for a CPU upgrade?

Hi,

My current setup is,

Asus MoBo P7P55D-E EVO
Intel Core i5-750 with 2.66 GHz 8MB cache (4 cores)(previous gen)(released in 2009)
16 GB DDR3 RAM with 1333
1TB seagate HDD
250 GB Samsung SSD
1TB toshiba USB 3.0 ext HDD
Roland Duo Capture Ex

-----------------

Symptom :

I recently started to run out of resources to properly work on my projects.
"The projects" that I'm referring here are consisted of around 150 tracks with 7-8 EQ's inserted globally, and 5-6 instances of Kontakt with around 12 GB of samples loaded in memory.

First, there is a memory concern for me. I need to go beyond 16 GB of memory.
2nd, The audio buffer settings slider for my Duo Capture is at max. Thus, preventing me to record with my MIDI keyboard because of unbearable latency. Plus, despite this setting, I started to experience a few pops/clicks here and there.
So I know that any more addition of FX's or new instruments would make it nearly impossible to play/run the project without pops/clicks.

-----------------

Question :

Is my CPU at the end of its capabilities for what it has to offer or is there something wrong with my system? Just to remind once again that the processor I'm using right now is one of the very first series in Core technology and bought it back in the beginning of 2010.
I do run only ESET Security Premium while I work on my projects and no other applications are open other than system processes.

OTOH, just because of thinking of upgrading RAM cap, I'm eventually going to need a better processor to handle a MAX amount of RAM bigger than 16 GB and a MoBo to lift them all up, too.

So,
I'm thinking of buying an Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz w/ 8 MB cache.

Would this choice be smart enough for another lengthy period before a new upgrade becomes a necessity?

-----------------

Concerns :

I'm living outside of EU & US. This particular model is around 450 $ with our currency. I'm not thinking of buying anything more expensive than that.

-----------------

Any ideas?
SymboliC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
frippouille

150 tracks? Wow.
How can it be?
frippouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frippouille View Post
150 tracks? Wow.
How can it be?
1 MIDI track for an articulation or patch of an instrument and 1 track for audio out. 2 tracks for only one patch or articulation of a single instrument.

Maybe I exaggerated it a bit but surely around 110-120 Tracks in overall. =)

BTW, I refuse to use keyswitches. It just doesn't come handy for me.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
SymboliC

Just to inform,

I have no difficulties with real-time recording in different genres like metal music and a total of 15 tracks are sufficient for such projects of mine and the slider of audio interface is around 4 out of 10 with nearly no latency.

Those particular projects that I'm talking above are all symphonic orchestrations & arrangements... =/
Old 04-03-2017, 04:11 AM   #5
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymboliC View Post
Hi,

My current setup is,

Asus MoBo P7P55D-E EVO
Intel Core i5-750 with 2.66 GHz 8MB cache (4 cores)(previous gen)(released in 2009)
16 GB DDR3 RAM with 1333
1TB seagate HDD
250 GB Samsung SSD
1TB toshiba USB 3.0 ext HDD
Roland Duo Capture Ex

-----------------

Symptom :

I recently started to run out of resources to properly work on my projects.
"The projects" that I'm referring here are consisted of around 150 tracks with 7-8 EQ's inserted globally, and 5-6 instances of Kontakt with around 12 GB of samples loaded in memory.

First, there is a memory concern for me. I need to go beyond 16 GB of memory.
2nd, The audio buffer settings slider for my Duo Capture is at max. Thus, preventing me to record with my MIDI keyboard because of unbearable latency. Plus, despite this setting, I started to experience a few pops/clicks here and there.
So I know that any more addition of FX's or new instruments would make it nearly impossible to play/run the project without pops/clicks.

-----------------

Question :

Is my CPU at the end of its capabilities for what it has to offer or is there something wrong with my system? Just to remind once again that the processor I'm using right now is one of the very first series in Core technology and bought it back in the beginning of 2010.
I do run only ESET Security Premium while I work on my projects and no other applications are open other than system processes.

OTOH, just because of thinking of upgrading RAM cap, I'm eventually going to need a better processor to handle a MAX amount of RAM bigger than 16 GB and a MoBo to lift them all up, too.

So,
I'm thinking of buying an Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz w/ 8 MB cache.

Would this choice be smart enough for another lengthy period before a new upgrade becomes a necessity?

-----------------

Concerns :

I'm living outside of EU & US. This particular model is around 450 $ with our currency. I'm not thinking of buying anything more expensive than that.

-----------------

Any ideas?
That CPU upgrade is a no brainer. Yes of course your system is the bottleneck. This year users have the option of AMD Ryzen too. I would go for Intel again for DAW use.

Be wary of reading motherboard reviews tailored to gamers.
Avoid paying extra for a motherboard that features gaming features such as SLI. Those high end gaming motherboards cost a lot more for no benefit to a non gamer. Supporting SLI alone accounts for the cost difference. Look at the various current motherboard chipsets and work out which has features for you.

https://support.native-instruments.c...are-Components
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #6
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
That CPU upgrade is a no brainer. Yes of course your system is the bottleneck. This year users have the option of AMD Ryzen too. I would go for Intel again for DAW use....
Thank you for this.

Actually I was aware that the time has come for a better change yet needed an experienced 3rd person to confirm this before spending hard-earned money. =)

I'm not a hardcore gamer and thought to include that specific detail in my OP in case someone would point that out. I occasionally play games and my current system is still able to handle most of the newer games with decent settings so I'm sure a newer upgrade would make it so for a few more years.

Also, thank you for that link! I had a look at it and seems quite useful!

Cheers,