Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
plush2
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 Creators Update-Any early adopters?

I put the new version on my tablet and I'm curious if anyone else has done so and is seeing a difference.

For those that have, are you seeing a performance difference? Have you tried Reaper in Games Mode? I'll just say anecdotally (no A/B test yet) some projects that struggled to play back on the previous iteration are now running very smoothly.

I am not interested in users views of privacy, security or forced updates, I just want to know how people are finding it works with Reaper.
plush2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
Coachz

adopted and orphaned for win 7 here
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
karbomusic

I haven't had a chance but will probably upgrade one of my machines soon just to see.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
wallace

Updated last night. All good so far.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
SmajjL

They picked one heck of a time to remove the text sizing/bold'ness options and I am a little bitter, speaking for myself, hope it's temporary.
I guess they compensated abit by fffffinally adding love to the high contrast theme so we can specify any color.

Ps: I took a lovely dump at 6:26 PM just so you know, had to use two damn meters of toilet paper.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
adopted and orphaned for win 7 here
Do you really mean you took on the Creators version and dumped it for Win 7 or did you mean you tried Win10 and dumped it for 7?

Enquiring minds need to know!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
Updated several days ago, manually through their site -- before the rush. No initial problems here so far. Reaper projects all open and run fine, hard to tell if they run "faster" though.
It is a tricky thing to actually compare since it's not trivial for most of us to roll back to the previous version to be scientific about it.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Rodal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
It is a tricky thing to actually compare since it's not trivial for most of us to roll back to the previous version to be scientific about it.
It is trivial if you image your hard drive first.

Which to be honest, you should be doing anyway and backups.
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Do you really mean you took on the Creators version and dumped it for Win 7 or did you mean you tried Win10 and dumped it for 7?

Enquiring minds need to know!

Win10. What is creators version?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
EvilDragon

The latest update being rolled out since April 11th.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
TheMaartian

Here's a blog post from Cakewalk, re the use of Game Mode vs. SONAR performance (it interferes with SONAR's VST load balancing). The mileage in Reaper could be different.

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-10-...is-not-a-game/
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodal View Post
It is trivial if you image your hard drive first.

Which to be honest, you should be doing anyway and backups.
I agree, wholeheartedly. How does one sleep at night without backups and a way to restore their system(s).

Trivial in that it can be done without too much thought and trivial in that it can be done quickly and repeatedly for comparison sake are two different things by my thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
Here's a blog post from Cakewalk, re the use of Game Mode vs. SONAR performance (it interferes with SONAR's VST load balancing). The mileage in Reaper could be different.

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-10-...is-not-a-game/
Thanks, that is an excellent starting point.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #13
somebodyelseuk

Installed on Monday, then spent the day trawling through all possible settings, to see whether anything had been defaulted.
All groovy, but noticed an additional option in the 'High Performance Power Management' - Processor>Maximum Frequency.
Presume this is to do with 'game mode' and concluded that all game mode is/does is basically a safe, OS managed, 'overclock'. While this might actually benefit gamers, though I expect youtube benchmarkers will prove otherwise in the coming days, I wouldn't think it will actually benefit audio production, since gamers primarily want better framerates, and whatever safety measures the OS uses to avoid killing the CPU/MB are going to adversely affect audio latency, which your average gamer won't notice.
My feeling is that 'gaming mode' is aimed at trying to persuade gamers to adopt W10, but is somewhat like providing free earbuds to an audio engineer.

...of course, I'm just speculating on this...

In terms of the OP, not seeing a noticeable difference, but it's certainly not worse... and all the foil hatters. you've got the same telemetry in 7 and 8.1.

EDIT: Since I typed this, an hour or so ago, Windows Update has checked for updates, found some... and done NOTHING else. They haven't been downloaded, let alone installed and if I ignore them, then in a few days I might get a nagging message to remind me there are some updates, but it won't download them until I say so.

Last edited by somebodyelseuk; 04-13-2017 at 01:20 AM.
somebodyelseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #14
ivansc

are you on pro or home premium?
This is status quo on Pro out the box, not creator version or anything.
On the other hand, I do aseem to remember having to actually set this myself when I was beta`ing W10.
Certainly on Pro I get the option every time. Not tried Creator yet as I dont really see it doing much to help on the pro audio side so far.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 AM   #15
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
are you on pro or home premium?
This is status quo on Pro out the box, not creator version or anything.
On the other hand, I do aseem to remember having to actually set this myself when I was beta`ing W10.
Certainly on Pro I get the option every time. Not tried Creator yet as I dont really see it doing much to help on the pro audio side so far.
This is Pro.

Last edited by somebodyelseuk; 04-13-2017 at 04:00 AM.
somebodyelseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #16
ZeroZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
EDIT: Since I typed this, an hour or so ago, Windows Update has checked for updates, found some... and done NOTHING else. They haven't been downloaded, let alone installed and if I ignore them, then in a few days I might get a nagging message to remind me there are some updates, but it won't download them until I say so.
I noticed this too. A couple of smaller additional updates (one was Flash I think) hung at 2%, restarted the machine several times and tried again still hung at 2%. Hours later I disabled the "Metered Connection" that was on, and they downloaded and installed fine.
ZeroZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #17
ivansc

I think we all fell for that metered connection thingy...

Just checked and I still had it on, too! Cant say I have noticed it doing anything much in either direction.

I just get "Windows needs to do some updates" and then it tells me it will only do them when I want....

I got a notification just before I went on holiday recently and didnt actually accept until 3 weeks later. No issues.

Have noticed its rather tricky if you only want to install SOME of the updates.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #18
ZeroZero

Yea I know it's become so hard to tell these days. They take all your privacy away and hand you back a couple of pathetic choices like they are doing you a favor and you are in still in control when nothing could be further from the truth. Whatever happens Micro$oft is collecting everything they can, any way they can. (And so is every other corporation). I don't like it one bit but like most people I need to run my music and other creative software so Linux is totally out the equation.

I have pretty much every privacy tool running on my machine, including a profile browser spoofer that fakes my browser footprint and I use AirVPN for ALL net activity. Recently I just changed my email provider to mailbox.org based in Berlin, and so it goes on.... until we get our privacy back eventually when their insane "take over the world" BS collapses which is already beginning to happen. It's companies like Reaper and those who respect people's choices and privacy that will rule the day eventually and the more we support them the quicker it will happen.
ZeroZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #19
ivansc

I take a pretty pragmatic view on all this "guarding my privacy" stuff.

I would almost be prepared to bet real money that Big Brother already has every minute detail of your life stashed away somewhere & MS trying to be clever and leverage that lot into saleable marketing information is more likely to result in them giving up on the whole idea as too unwieldly.

I mean, along with all the market research shizzle going on, plus government and other public bodies's collections of meaningless dross, sooner or later there will cease to be any value at all to this data.
Its getting a bit like all the crazy hoarders with houses filled to the rafters with old newspapers.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
I take a pretty pragmatic view on all this "guarding my privacy" stuff.
That's the best way to be, use that knoggin' FWIW, they released what they collect in decent depth last week. Secondly, just what 'personal private data' are we speaking of, every time I ask that no one seems to know.

Lastly, don't tell me you guys enter all your CC info, name, address, SSN in your computer to begin with? That actually is private personal data and perfectly ripened for malware. But if you do keep it there, don't tell me you leave it there unencrypted, that's kind of dumb even without the data mining worry.

I've never kept critically personal info on my computer unencrypted, ever.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-13-2017 at 03:03 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote