Old 01-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Anton9
Human being with feelings

Default ?? regarding reapeak files

Ok.., so now we have an option to store reapeak files in a separate folder.
Well how come it's storing each one in a separate folder within the folder I've designated? Is there an option to have them stored in just one folder?

One other question..., what's up with the file names when using the separate folder option? They're like random 40 characters long names.

Thank you
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Ok.., so now we have an option to store reapeak files in a separate folder.
Well how come it's storing each one in a separate folder within the folder I've designated? Is there an option to have them stored in just one folder?

One other question..., what's up with the file names when using the separate folder option? They're like random 40 characters long names.

Thank you
There isn't an option to store them in a single folder, just the master folder. I'm pretty sure Justin has logic for their storage and that the funny names are to protect against name collisions. They really aren't for human consumption hence the visual confusion. Technically, they fall into the category of temp files which is likely another reason they don't follow human understandable naming conventions which is a fairly standard practice.

I started to sit down and figure it out one day but I couldn't really find a good reason to know other than general curiosity.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
planetnine

Something does sound not entirely right if each one is in its own subfolder.

Bug?

Do you store your media files in a relative subfolder to your project directory Anton? If not, I guess they would be in a subfolder of a subfolder of your project directory maybe (not tried this)? -but not in individual folders, surely?

>
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Bug?
Nah, they are named similar to a generated GUID and placed in folders that are sequentially numbered in hex IIRC and they're are multiple peaks per folder. There is a definite logic to it from the dev perspective and would be very confusing to most people.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Nah, they are named similar to a generated GUID and placed in folders that are sequentially numbered in hex IIRC and they're are multiple peaks per folder. There is a definite logic to it from the dev perspective and would be very confusing to most people.

Duh, is this saved to single folder not relative folder under project media folder?

My bad, I misinterpreted Anton's post

Twitchy, moi..?

>
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Duh, is this saved to single folder not relative folder under project media folder?
Yea, when you point them to a global location, let's call it I:\ReaPeaks, everything I said above is inside that ReaPeaks folder. It's just that the devs used some particular logic in how they are organized. Since they are only programmatically accessed by Reaper, they appear the same way temp files might.

^ EDIT: Actually I'll let the OP answer because I thought they were talking about a global folder (like the other threads), if he means inside the project folder at all, I happily admit I have no idea unless it is the exact same thing I described but at the project folder level.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
Anton9

Yeah.., I figured the naming convention was probably so as to avoid name collisions, but it puzzled me as to why each one is being put into it's own sub-folder. I suppose it could be that it's more efficient memory and processor wise when retrieving the files.., instead of searching for the long file name it just searches for the much smaller folder name.

Ooh.., and yeah I have them being stored in a folder separate from the project.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Yeah.., I figured the naming convention was probably so as to avoid name collisions, but it puzzled me as to why each one is being put into it's own sub-folder. I suppose it could be that it's more efficient memory and processor wise when retrieving the files.., instead of searching for the long file name it just searches for the much smaller folder name.

Ooh.., and yeah I have them being stored in a folder separate from the project.

Ah, storing them in a separate global folder has been with us for a while, the new option is storing them in a relative "peaks" subfolder under the project media subfolder.

I misinterpreted your opening paragraph, hence the confusion -what you are doing is not a new option, although its peaks folder structure is new to me.

>