Old 04-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
kingaking50
Human being with feelings

Default NOVATION IMPULSE 49-61 A-OK

Just wanted to set the record straight, the Novation Impulse 49 works great with Reaper. The latest version of automap and the atest version of reaper work great. The instructions do not tell you to go under preferences and enable the impulse to be armed, under midi devices. Hope this helps someone, superior drummer works great as do all of my other vst programs. The scene option with the velocity pads is the only feature that doesnt work. All volumes, mutes, pans,and other keys work great!!!!
kingaking50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
sonofmickel

Just picked up the Impulse 49. Can't get it to work in Reaper. I installed the latest Automap and ran the setup as you have above. Nothing seems to be triggering. The keyboard appears to be dead now, no midi data updates on the Novation screen when pushing keys down, the rotaries, pads and slides appear to update which CC# they are but not the keys.

Perplexing, this should be easier. But I am a newb.

Ran Automap again and now I have rotaries and sliders working like a mixer(volume and pan work) but the keyboard is still not working. I think I need to get the Novation out of HUI mode(HUI is a mixing controller not a keyboard).

How to toggle quickly between HUI and Keyboard mode?

Last edited by sonofmickel; 06-14-2014 at 11:13 PM.
sonofmickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofmickel View Post
How to toggle quickly between HUI and Keyboard mode?
Your keyboard should not be listed with control surfaces (No HUI). If its listed there remove it.

Install the driver for the keyboard, then be sure the keyboard is powered up, then start Reaper. Your keyboard should be listed in the MIDI device section of Reaper's preferences.

Check the Reaper User Guide for additional set up information. Download it here (if you haven't already):

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php.

Hope this helped.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Bat71

Default Transport Buttons - Impulse 49

Just resurrecting this as my Impulse has been in storage in between moving houses.

I've seen a few threads from 2013 where people had trouble with the transport controls (specifically messages from the rewind/fast forward and loop button not being picked up by Reaper).

Do any Impulse users know if this issue was ever resolved?

I have contacted Novation, but they seemed to treat it like a new problem they had never encountered....
Bat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
homenpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat71 View Post
Just resurrecting this as my Impulse has been in storage in between moving houses.

I've seen a few threads from 2013 where people had trouble with the transport controls (specifically messages from the rewind/fast forward and loop button not being picked up by Reaper).

I have contacted Novation, but they seemed to treat it like a new problem they had never encountered....
Hello,

I will buy the Impulse 49 and also like to know if it works well with Reaper. Anyone?

Thank you
homenpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:06 AM   #6
kenny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat71 View Post

With latest firmware transport buttons send MIDI messages that can be easily mapped by Reaper. The only thing I had to change is the MIDI CC mode (in the Learn panel): with "Absolute" Reaper takes the command two times (pressed + released); changing to "Relative 1" works fine.
kenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote