Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #161
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
The rules are simple:
1) If tracks with MIDI are several levels down, only show the direct parent
2) If a folder contains only a single track with MIDI, don't show the parent

Much less redundancy and better readable, isn't it?
Yes, much less redundancy. It should be like this.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #162
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There is one thing that I find very annoying in Reaper, and I hope devs can easily fix it.

It's the virtual keyboard (and the piano roll in MIDI Editor) and the way velocities are distributed across the length of a key. It's not linear with equal segment sizes and it's not nice that it's not linear with equal segment sizes. Can you make the keys have, say 9 EQUAL segments across the length of a key, so it would have 127, 112, 96, 80, 64, 48, 32, 16 and 1?

This would be a LOT better.
Funny - I had intuited but not bothered researching to confirm that this was the case. I tend to just mouse around till I find a level I like, but agreed fewer but more consistent choices would be nice.
On the other hand there are a lot of other thing I would rather see progressed before this.

Oops! We are straying into FR territory once again, ED.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #163
VVV

Quote:
To illustrate my trouble with folders in the Track List:

This is how a project of mine looks like:

And this is what I would deem good:

The rules are simple:
1) If tracks with MIDI are several levels down, only show the direct parent
2) If a folder contains only a single track with MIDI, don't show the parent

Much less redundancy and better readable, isn't it?

Ah, btw, I think I like it there on the right side. I do find KevinW's point very convincing.
BTW with a different layout for the folder tracks maybe it would be more clear, wouldn't be? Mockup:

Also one could change the text color.

Personally I would get rid of all folder tracks(unless there is midi items on it).
Attached Images
File Type: png Removeme-Track-list-folders-2.png (25.5 KB, 790 views)
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #164
gofer
-blänk-

I'd like to keep the color swatches on folders, but in principle I agree that's much better.
Some way to folder and collapse stuff in the track list is good when many tracks are involved, that's why I kept the direct parents in my mockup.

Another bug/nitpick report:
Track numbers in the Item Lane headers are off when they are more than one digit:

Above 100 the last digit isn't on the field at all.

I first thought that it's my theme, because I didn't notice in my first steps in default. But apparently that was because in default the headers are barely readable in the first place...

Please give them a bit more contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: png Removeme-Item-Lane_Numbers-off.png (7.7 KB, 826 views)
File Type: png Removeme-Item-Lane_Numbers-off_default.png (6.5 KB, 807 views)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #165
EvilDragon

Actually your screenshot there gave me an idea, gofer - the number and the color picker box should be MERGED in the tracklist! Click on the number to change the color.

Why have it in two different ways between TL and MIL? Besides, in MIL you can't change track color, right? So that's what should be added to make these things consistent between the two.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #166
gofer
-blänk-

I'd like to see that. Color swatches would need to be wider then, to fit higher numbers (but it still would save horizontal space, overall).
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #167
EvilDragon

I think they would just need to adapt the size according to the highest number used. Devs just need to fix the text alignment there.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #168
xpander

Quote:
I didn't mean that at the moment I switch the active track there'd be an item created. That's not necessary. An item would be created/lengthened when the user actually inserts an event. At that point the "current time position" is known and an intelligent decision can be made, probably based on a user preference whether he rather lengthens the previous item (if exists) or (say, when items are looped and lengths shouldn't be changed) rather have a new one created.
Thanks for clearing that one Gofer, makes perfect sense of course.

Quote:
the number and the color picker box should be MERGED in the tracklist! Click on the number to change the color.
I like this idea ED.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #169
VVV

Quote:
the number and the color picker box should be MERGED in the tracklist! Click on the number to change the color.
Agree

Quote:
I'd like to keep the color swatches on folders, but in principle I agree that's much better.
Make me think of something like this:

Clear, simple.
Awesome, isn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: png Removeme-Track-list-folders-2.png (25.5 KB, 789 views)
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #170
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV View Post

Clear, simple.
Awesome, isn't it?
Like that idea too. But what about selection highlight (colors) then? Currently the separate color box will naturally keep the track color while selection highlight can be something totally else.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #171
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If we move the MIDI track list to the left, will anyone (who is reading this) say "no I liked it where it was"?
Hi,

Me!^^ Can it be optional like the master is in the mixer?

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #172
Evan

Bugs with MIDI recording

Track in MIDI overdub mode. Pre-roll active. Time selection autopunch active. Repeat active.

Result: Empty items are created during the pre-roll (i.e. before recording is initiated)

Video demo here: http://screencast.com/t/KZFGREPfv
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #173
medicine tactic

Quote:
I don't like how that is correlated. In other, simpler projects I might not have a folder, other than the submaster - which doesn't help in this case. Or I have MIDI in the same folder of which I'd rather hide some, but not all. I think it's not good at all to make hide-ability in the Item Lane depend on how I set up my arrange view. After all, folders are not just a view thing in Reaper, but also a routing thing. Why should hide-ability in the MIDI editor depend on how stuff is routed? That's totally unrelated, IMO.

Btw, 3 of the tracks you see in the upper pic can't be hidden from the Item Lane, because they aren't in a folder. I could of course collapse the submaster which would hide all tracks, but that's not so very useful .
It means, when setting up projects we will have to not only think about routing and convenience in track view but also whether it makes sense in the Item Lane. Just another level of complexity I don't really need, methinks.
I want to reiterate just how right gofer is, and to encourage the devs to base item lane visibility on something else, whether it's tracks that contain at least one visible item, or a "visible in item lane" column in the ME tracklist or whatever. I'm hoping the current incarnation was just the quickest way to kludge up some hideability functionality to get a pre out the door, and isn't being seriously considered. (Edit: Unless it's a step on the way to a grander vision, in which case ignore us and carry on )
medicine tactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #174
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Bugs with MIDI recording

Track in MIDI overdub mode. Pre-roll active. Time selection autopunch active. Repeat active.

Result: Empty items are created during the pre-roll (i.e. before recording is initiated)

Video demo here: http://screencast.com/t/KZFGREPfv
On OSX 64 bits and with "Time selection autopunch" an empty item that fill the time selection is created during preroll. If I choose "Record mode normal" a "mini" empty item (as in your video) is created at the beginning of the time selection during preroll.

In both cases it happens only if the edit cursor is placed at the beginning of the time selection.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #175
gofer
-blänk-

swiiscompos and Evan,

are you sure these are new for the pre releases? I have the feeling I read reports about that already.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #176
swiiscompos

Default Bug...

Quote:
swiiscompos and Evan,

are you sure these are new for the pre releases? I have the feeling I read reports about that already.
You're right, and testing I've found some more bugs (already in 4.32) in the midi editor which are more problematic.

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4625

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4624

And an older one: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4430
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #177
Win Conway

Just to reiterate here
Any AVI file used that is uncompressed and over a certain size (So far i have it rounded back to 16 minutes) when loaded onto a track and then try to render out that track as a wav, the wav can not be named.

I am fairly sure this has started happening on the last few pres, will try to track it back at some point, when i get time.

(Not a major issue, just means i have to transcode before denoising voiceovers on films)

Last edited by Win Conway; 01-27-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #178
medicine tactic

I think the item lane has the potential to be incredibly useful. It's good for activating items, and it's good for setting item visibility and editability, and it's a good place to hang extensive MIDI media item-related context menus. But mostly (and surprising to me) I think it's good for those spur-of-the-moment arrangement decisions that happen in the course of editing MIDI, when you're in the zone and you need to duplicate or lengthen or slice up some items but you don't want to break context for the arrangement view. So its utility depends on its being constantly in sync with the PRV. That's why I love that its horizontal zoom and scroll are locked to the PRV. That's also (one of the reasons) why I think its contents should be based on what's visible in the PRV -- that it should list all tracks containing at least one visible item -- because then it automatically contains the tracks I'm working with right when I need them. I have a feeling that if I have to manually choose what to display in it (via a "visible in item lane" column in the ME tracklist) independent of what's visible in the PRV, the asynchrony will sufficiently cripple its utility that I won't use it much. Not intentionally, but because it's never in sync when I need it.

I'd also be fine with this being one of a few options for how to populate the item lane (as gofer suggested).
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #179
dusanmsk

Default pre2 - osc still very strange

Hi,

I tested pre2 and seems that osc is still very strange.

Create ReaSynth instance and move with "Volume" fader from its minimum to maximum and see osc values:

/fxparam/last_touched/value : 0.0
/fxparam/last_touched/value/str : -inf

/fxparam/last_touched/value : 6.370123E-5
/fxparam/last_touched/value/str : -77.90

/fxparam/last_touched/value : 0.013948782
/fxparam/last_touched/value/str : -31.09

/fxparam/last_touched/value : 0.24933495
/fxparam/last_touched/value/str : -6.04

/fxparam/last_touched/value : 0.9770112
/fxparam/last_touched/value/str : +5.82

/fxparam/last_touched/value : 1.9905359
/fxparam/last_touched/value/str : +12.00

Osc values are:

1. exponential
2. out-of range (0.0 - 1.0 float)
dusanmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #180
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine tactic View Post
I want to reiterate just how right gofer is, and to encourage the devs to base item lane visibility on something else, whether it's tracks that contain at least one visible item, or a "visible in item lane" column in the ME tracklist or whatever. I'm hoping the current incarnation was just the quickest way to kludge up some hideability functionality to get a pre out the door, and isn't being seriously considered. (Edit: Unless it's a step on the way to a grander vision, in which case ignore us and carry on )
It is a little cludgy but still is quite fast. For me a extra sweepable tick box for item selector visibility isn't too bad but wouldn't mind an option to follow folder collapses.

Still think folder collapses done whilst in the track selector should be unhidden /reset on closing midi editor.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #181
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

Still think folder collapses done whilst in the track selector should be unhidden /reset on closing midi editor.
If you're referring to resetting the TCP that has been changed by the midi editor track selector, I completely agree.

A better answer, IMO, is to unlink the TCP from the ME. Kind of like how the Track Manager gives the option to link TCP/MCP visibility.

On that subject, how does the Track Manager fit with all this? There is a column for "midi" in that. I haven't quite figured out how clicking around in the Track Manager affects the contents of the ME.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #182
hopi

and ... switching back to the FX Browser for moment... [since I've just had to be in it a bunch]

You know in the My Folders area... where you create your own folders...

the method of moving them is absurd... Move to top or bottom and move up or down... That is just nuts
Especially since when you create a new folder it shows up at the bottom of the list.

Do you realize how many mousing's you have to do to move a folder into the middle of a 50 folder list????

There has gotta be a better way...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #183
krahosk

Quote:
Actually your screenshot there gave me an idea, gofer - the number and the color picker box should be MERGED in the tracklist! Click on the number to change the color.
In full agreement with the above suggestion.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #184
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
and ... switching back to the FX Browser for moment... [since I've just had to be in it a bunch]

You know in the My Folders area... where you create your own folders...

the method of moving them is absurd... Move to top or bottom and move up or down... That is just nuts
Especially since when you create a new folder it shows up at the bottom of the list.

Do you realize how many mousing's you have to do to move a folder into the middle of a 50 folder list????

There has gotta be a better way...
...like just drag and drop. Yes, it should be there. Also possiblity to have subfolders!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #185
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
and ... switching back to the FX Browser for moment...
Those nice expand/collapse +/- icons we just got for the MIDI editor track list... they would be nice to have in the FX browser tree as well!
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #186
EvilDragon

No shit:

[IMG]http://img295.**************/img295/9007/fxbrowse.png[/IMG]

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2728
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #187
medicine tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Really, this request is an indication that something's wrong with the current design.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #188
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Really, this request is an indication that something's wrong with the current design.
I actually like this feature whilst in the midi editor as I have the midi editor docked below the arrange so it makes it easier to see the arrange items too.

All I would like is for it to undo these changes on closing the editor but I can see situations where it wouldn't work (like having midi editor open on separate screen most of the time. Therefore an option would help to toggle it.

I can't see the devs getting away with NOT adding a set of pop-up options in a button at the bottom!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #189
gembez

I can't set a note's velocity to 0 zero anymore. When did this happen?
gembez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #190
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gembez View Post
Confirmed here on v4.33pre1.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #191
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
v4.33pre2 - January 24 2013
+ MIDI editor: fixed editor sometimes opening undocked when it should be docked
Oh wow, been waiting so many years for you to fix this, any chance you actually will ?
Still exactly the same as it always was.
Slice a MIDI item, glue it, open it, bam undocked

FAIL
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #192
medicine tactic

Could you please just report the bug without being rude?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #193
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Indeed. Developers are a sensitive artistic bunch gpunk_w

There's a difference between "tough love" (evil dragon) and just coming over as a spiky kinda guy.

The devs are very tolerant of these kind of attacks because they act like professionals.

They move in mysterious ways, try to respect that dude!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #194
EvilDragon

Quote:
That is alright. Velocity 0 is actually considered a note off event, so the actual note on velocity usable range is 1-127.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #195
musicbynumbers

Quick bug I found with regards to seeking loops. I don't know if it's this pre but not had it happen before.

If you have time selection and looping set to be linked together plus "seek loop" turned on and then use right click and alt to change your loop points whilst the track is playing I get Reaper trying to set the play position straight away instead of on release.

What makes this harsh though is that it resets the play position on every move of the loop points whilst holding alt and right click dragging so you end up with a granular/glitch repeat stutter at about 500 times a second not a pleasant sound.

Is this a known bug or a recent one. Couldn't find it anywhere else on a quick search.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 AM   #196
EvilDragon

It would also help, since we're dealing with MIDI now, that CCs are not reset on looping a time selection.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #197
musicbynumbers

Quote:
It would also help, since we're dealing with MIDI now, that CCs are not reset on looping a time selection.
Agreed. Unless of course the item has CCs at it's start right?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #198
EvilDragon

Of course - I just meant not resetting them to default values.

It is VERY annoying and makes no sense at all.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #199
gembez

Quote:
If you're referring to my post, I didn't mean to be rude. It came out wrong. I apologize.

Quote:
That is alright. Velocity 0 is actually considered a note off event, so the actual note on velocity usable range is 1-127.
Is there any way to set a note off? I was using an instrument with a very slow portamento and wanted to set the starting note for the glide with out making any sound.
gembez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #200
EvilDragon

Quote:
Is there any way to set a note off? I was using an instrument with a very slow portamento and wanted to set the starting note for the glide with out making any sound.
Note off is automatically sent at the end of the note, so it will depend on note length. Reaper doesn't offer note off editing (sadly).