Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Bas
Human being with feelings

Default Rendering MIDI (Virtual Instruments) in Reaper

Hi,

When I create something in midi format (as FX used Kontakt), I want to render it, of course. But rendered in WMA it sounds to me in lesser sound quality than played real-time in program (and size of one minute is apprx. 25 MB).

My question is if I am doing something wrong? For example: it's necessary to use some EQs or another filters in FX? (I believe no, instruments are recorded to sound good just in program).
But nobody whom I was showing it didn't recognize difference - maybe it's normal and I have just too good ears )

Second problem: The volume of my song is somehow decreased compared to other songs when I am listening to it: On my mobile phone I can push the volume up to 100% and it sounds good, while other songs are too loud and 50% is enough.
But rendering in REAPER shows max values +2 - 5 dB (red) so where I am supposed to increase it?

Below I have posted my pre-render settings which I am using.

Thank you!
I'm quite inexperienced with these things...

Jirka
Bas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Bas

Bump...?
Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Westy

Default Render

Maybe instead of rendering from the Master (Top most drop down) try render as a Stem (Selected track only).

You could also try the right click menu to avoid being sent through the master channel/bin on render.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Tod

Hi Jirka, and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas View Post
When I create something in midi format (as FX used Kontakt), I want to render it, of course. But rendered in WMA it sounds to me in lesser sound quality than played real-time in program (and size of one minute is apprx. 25 MB).
Do you mean "after you render it in Reaper, and then play it in Windows Media Player"?

Quote:
My question is if I am doing something wrong? For example: it's necessary to use some EQs or another filters in FX? (I believe no, instruments are recorded to sound good just in program).
But nobody whom I was showing it didn't recognize difference - maybe it's normal and I have just too good ears )
I use Kontakt a lot and do use FX on the instruments if it's needed. However, I would suggest to never use FX unless you think it needs it.

Quote:
Second problem: The volume of my song is somehow decreased compared to other songs when I am listening to it: On my mobile phone I can push the volume up to 100% and it sounds good, while other songs are too loud and 50% is enough.
But rendering in REAPER shows max values +2 - 5 dB (red) so where I am supposed to increase it?
First of all, you never want your mix to go into the red, it's best to keep your loudest peaks at -0.5dB or less. I usually keep the loudest peaks in my mixes at -0.8dB.

What you need to do is learn how to use compressors and limiters. They are the secret for getting louder mixes. That and using automation.

Quote:
Below I have posted my pre-render settings which I am using.
It looks okay except your path and file name. I always have my project files along with the audio files set up in their own folders on a drive other than the C:\drive.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Westy

I was thinking of single midi tracks to wav/whatever, sorry!

Wasn't sure if the first part was separate.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 AM   #6
Bas

Thanks! These compressors are what I've been looking for, but I didn't know what I am supposed to search

PS: I have only C drive 1TB (D is small SD for OS backup, with 25 GB)

Last edited by Bas; 03-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.