Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
osonore
Human being with feelings

Default Synth controller sending pitch info against my will

Dear all,

I love Reaper, I use it for 2 years now and it's the first time I need to post on the forum because of an issue and it's not necessarely Repear's fault but I guess the user community would help me.

I have a Dave Smith's Morpho X4 that I also use as a MIDI controller to record in Reaper with other VST instruments.

For a reason I ignore, there is constantly Pitch info sent to Reaper during recording, this make things going out of tune and in the MIDI editor in Reaper, you can see the recording elements in the drop menu in the bottom section of the piano roll when selecting "pitch".

The synth is probably sending this to reaper, I don,t know why. I tried different things, turning all modulator to off on the synth, changing the patch because I suspected some of the modulation going on in a patch were sent as MIDI to reaper, it doesn't help.

So I turned myself to Reaper and was looking for a way to set it so it would not receive any pitch Midi info. There seems to be a lot of option regarding MIDI in Reaper, is there a way you can filter or turn off a particular MIDI info coming in? Or can I just unlink the pitch feature in Repear from the MIDI editor so it would not record anything coming from the controller?

Hope my question is clear enough. Thanks for you help.
osonore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello osonore and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

Ask Dave Smith

Or, I would think that the X4 is sending Pitch information as the loaded patch uses pitch information to affect the sound. If that MIDI information is removed and the MIDI clip is played back through the X4 you'll probably here a different sound.

To discard them, try insertpizhere's midiConverter3 (in his MIDI Pack) - as an Input FX?
http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
osonore

Thank you DarkStar, I will see if this little tool can help me discard the pitch information coming in Reaper.

It's definitively the synth who's sending this, what is strange is that it's sometime sent randomely, and wathever patches I try, there's always pitch information received by reaper. Very annoying.

Regards.
osonore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
brenot

FYI, I've been having this exact same problem for a couple of years now, but my controller is different than yours. It's an Evolution MK-249C2.
It took me forever to figure out that the pitch changes were coming from the controller. It thought it was a bug with Reaper or incompatibility with certain VSTi's or possibly something to do with sample rate changes, but the problem is completely random. Once I realized that it stopped whenever I disarmed a track for recording, then I looked at the pitch information being recorded (not something I usually mess with or notice) and figured it out.
It's extremely frustrating. Did the above work-around work? I suppose I will just have to try it.
brenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

How old and/or dusty is that keyboard? Stray pitch bend and other controller data due to dust and also wear-and-tear are not uncommon. Whenever something is causing vibrations in the keyboard, the wheels/controllers may be misfiring data, sometimes even completely on their own.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote