Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
buenavista
Human being with feelings

Default Remove item contents leaving behind an empty item?

For the purpose of preserving item FX, envelopes, etc. I couldn't find an action for it. I thought maybe I could insert an empty item, load FX and envelopes, then duplicate those empty items as needed, but it seems you can't load fx into an empty item.
buenavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
heda

Maybe replacing it with an empty wav file instead of empty item? I don't know the purpose of what you need.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
buenavista

Well, I have a project where I'm using lots of per item/take effects and envelopes. It would be nice to be able to delete the audio and leave an empty item with fx and envelopes intact, so that I don't have to reset them every time I want to re-record an item.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
nofish

Render some silence (as heda said), select the desired items -> Item properties (Alt+F2) -> Choose new file.., choose your silence rendered file.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
atza

Wouldn't just muting them help?
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Goldreap

A couple of other ways to do it:

Options> Preferences> Appearance> Media> Media item buttons> tick Per-take FX, No FX, Automation envelopes and No active envelopes.
Options> New recording that overlaps existing media items> Creates new media items in separate lanes (layers).
Define your punch time selection and split it both ends to make a new item (Shift+S).
Record.
Now drag the FX and Automation buttons from the orig item to the new item.
Remove the orig item.

If it's just FX you want to copy, no need for separate lanes and no need to make your punch-in area an item (that will happen anyway); just drag the FX button of previous (earlier) item into new item.
Note that with FX buttons you don't have to aim for the new button, just drop on the item, but envelopes have to be dropped on the new button (or at least in the button area).

Another way (probably quicker) is to just punch in your usual way (?) then Options> Show all takes in lanes, then drag your buttons...you need to select the orig take before dragging and there's a quirk here..the envelope button looks like it won't drop (no entry sign) but it does, and in this case you don't have to aim for the new button, just drop it on the new take.
Then crop to new take.

There might be better ways, don't know.

Last edited by Goldreap; 01-16-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
buenavista

I'm a little confused about the suggestions to make an item that contains silence. I'm not confused about how to do create an item with silence, I'm confused about how that helps me accomplish things. Which means that I'm probably not being clear enough about what I am going for. Sorry for that.

Goldreap is keen to what I'm going after, but for the most part that is what I am already doing.

To be clear, I'm using the take system in separate lanes (layers). For example, let's say I'm double or triple(or more)tracking a vocal line. Maybe one vocal has a delay, and it's panned left. Another vocal has a different delay, and it's panned right. And maybe one take is a wet delay only, and it's panned center. You get the idea. Or maybe all the delays are the same, and only the panning is different.

Let's say I'm not satisfied with the performance on a particular take/lane. Or maybe I want to do the performance in a different harmony. What I would like to do is delete the audio only (leaving fx and parameters untouched) for that single item/lane, then do another take to replace it. It would just be a lot easier than finding the effect and parameters I want from another lane, and copying them into a new lane. Or, if the other lanes don't have the parameters I want, having to redo the parameters all over again.

Not a huge deal at all. Just thought there might be something obvious I was missing.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
buenavista

Well, I suppose I could just create the new lane/performance, then copy parameters from existing lane before I delete it. (Duh! Brain not always attached!) Or load effects into dummy/silenced items like suggested. I guess I'm just looking for a more elegant solution. The less tracks and items I have to have on the screen the better.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenavista View Post
Well, I suppose I could just create the new lane/performance, then copy parameters from existing lane before I delete it. (Duh! Brain not always attached!) Or load effects into dummy/silenced items like suggested. I guess I'm just looking for a more elegant solution. The less tracks and items I have to have on the screen the better.
That's the quickest I can find. I've just been trying to do it by 'Creates new media items in separate lanes (layers)' as before, then item properties> choose new file....replacing the first item wave with the second item wave...but that's fiddly..have to deal with offsets etc...another topic.

Last edited by Goldreap; 01-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote