Default Module Updates

The zip file in the stash has been updated as follows:-

Updated the Envelope Generator module:
- Added MIDI CC modulation for all envelope parameters;
- Added a 'Hold' function;
- Various bug fixes.

Updated the Filter module:
- Added MIDI CC modulation for the 'Resonance' function;
- Fixed a bug in the filter resonance code.

Updated the Oscillator module:
- Modified the modulation control slider arrangement to make it slightly more intuitive.

Some of the other modules have minor bug fixes and code tidy ups.

The changes are likely to disrupt any existing projects using these modules. If you want to keep any existing projects in tact, best to rename the updated modules.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #42
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Great to have ReaRack on ReaPack no !

Some technical hints came into my mind when doing a first checking (maybe these features are already in place):

- IMHO it would be appropriate to allow for using high resolution (14 Bit) Midi optionally everywhere you choose to. -> much greater precision for the control signals.

- IMHO it would be appropriate to allow for optionally using Audio streams (on additional channels (aka Pins) ) for routing the control signals between the modules: much greater value and time precision for the control signals. (E.g. allow for selecting Midi Channel 1...16 or pin 3...64 as a control input)

- regarding audio grade FM, the Chowning algorithm needs to allow modulation to create negative frequencies (oscillator running backwards.

Obviously many more modules can be don on the long rung, so laying a very solid g^round right now is essential.

Edit: I don't think we need settable Audio pins for control entries. Just the selection "Midi Channel 1..16 and Pin" will suffice, as Reaper can route the pins in the Effect chain as desired.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-18-2016 at 10:15 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #43
Time Waster

In order to use 14 bit MIDI, I would have to use CC pairs for each input, which seems messy from a UI perspective. Or, if I just used a fixed offset for the second CC, you can then run into problems with CC clashes. The next issue is that to take advantage of the higher precision, you then have to process everything @sample, which implies higher CPU usage. Currently the system is fairly lightweight in terms of CPU use, allowing large arrays of oscillators, for instance, so the higher precision may be a disadvantage in those terms.

I'm not clear on how important control precision is. Personally I don't notice any significant 'steppiness' for the types of sounds I use it for, but my standards may be fairly low. Most of the feedback I have had so far regarding the need for higher precision has been from people who haven't actually used the system and perhaps it gets rejected out of hand on that basis. I haven't had any feedback to indicate that there is any ongoing interest in the system, so I would be reluctant to do any more development work on it at the moment.

On a more philosophical note, I rarely use pure synth sounds as they tend to be uninteresting. I will almost always further process synth sounds in order to dirty them up an add some interest. Maybe there is an argument that you should start with the most precise sounds possible before starting the deconstruction process, but I tend to think that the lack of control precision is just part of the sound of the ReaRack system. We aren't trying to land a man on the moon here, just making some noises.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #44
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
In order to use 14 bit MIDI, I would have to use CC pairs for each input, which seems messy from a UI perspective.
I don't think so, as the second CC of the pair is defined by the number of the first one. So you just would need an "enable" selection, of add the high resolution number to the others.

Quote:
Or, if I just used a fixed offset...
The fixed offset is mandatory as part of the Midi Standard, anyway, and acknowledged by Reaper e.g. in ReaMidiCointrol.

Quote:
I'm not clear on how important control precision is.
With analog synths the speed of the envelopes has been discussed a lot. For this IMHO it would be necessary to (optionally) use an audio channel for the control signal. With that there would be no problem regarding resolution, speed, steppiness and "@block". Hence at least a definition and an example on how the ReaRack system is going to handle control signals on audio channels would be important for future extensions.

ReaRack in the end could be able to do what nowadays NI Reaktor is used for. But same is expensive and the Modules can't be enhanced by user programming. So IMHO ReaRack is a really interesting concept. Maybe taking a look at Reaktor's features would be interesting. In fact there even is a really nice sounding physical modeled violin created via Reaktor. Not an uninteresting sound at all ..

Of course there also are several "Synth Builder" systems that allow for creating VSTs from basic modules. Their advantage might be that they come with a GUI builder.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-18-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #45
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The fixed offset is mandatory as part of the Midi Standard, anyway.

-Michael
It's not really mandatory, it's just a standard (mainly for hardware manufactures) so that things can work with each other 'out of the box' without conflict. It's not always strictly adhered to. ReaRack uses MIDI CCs for the control protocol, but it's up to the user to choose CC's that avoid conflict with other plugins or devices. The advantage is that you have the full range of CCs available for patching, not that it is likely anyone is going to use them all, but the option is there. So it would be quite possible to allow any two CC's to be used for 14 bit. I dare say that you could use a third CC and go for 21 bit resolution.

Quote:

With analog synths the speed of the envelopes has been discussed a lot. For this IMHO it would be necessary to (optionally) use an audio channel for the control signal. With that there would be no problem regarding resolution, speed, steppiness and "@block". Hence at least a definition and an example on how the ReaRack system is going to handle control signals on audio channels would be important for future extensions.

-Michael
You are probably right that we should try to work out a standard. It's something that I skirted around because it looked too complex for my minimalist brain. I'll have a think about it when I get some spare time. In the meantime, this is JS and nobody really owns ReaRack so anybody is welcome to have a go at it. I know I'm not the first to attempt this and I'm sure others can do a much better job of it, assuming it is actually of any use to anyone. My goal was to test the theory that you could do modular synthesis directly within the DAW rather than in a VST environment and I think my simplistic modules show that you can. I'm not sure if I'm the best person to start looking at the finer details.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #46
mschnell

Quote:
My goal was to test the theory that you could do modular synthesis directly within the DAW rather than in a VST environment and I think my simplistic modules show that you can. I'm not sure if I'm the best person to start looking at the finer details.
Yep !!
I suppose we one day soon will see a "macro" plugin feature (discussed several times in these forums). Of course ReaRack will greatly benefit from this, as then you can build a "Rack" with modules and use the complete thingy (macro) like any plugin.

BTW.: due to my request the ReaPack of ReaRack has been modified to be a single distribution. While IMHO this is really good, now the single modules are not found any more by the browser (try to type "OSC" uin the search field). I think it would be good to add a short mentioning of each module in the Package to the "main" "about" text, so that all can be found easier.

-Michael
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #47
Time Waster

Quote:
Yep !!

BTW.: due to my request the ReaPack of ReaRack has been modified to be a single distribution. While IMHO this is really good, now the single modules are not found any more by the browser (try to type "OSC" uin the search field). I think it would be good to add a short mentioning of each module in the Package to the "main" "about" text, so that all can be found easier.

-Michael
As I understand it, the 'about' feature for packages will be improved in the next ReaPack release.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:56 AM   #48
amagalma

When synchronizing ReaPack I get these errors:

Code:
========== Errors: ==========

ReaTeam JSFX/Synth/TimeWaster_ReaRack Modular Synth.jsfx v1.1:
  Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack Amplifier.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack CCmixer.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack EnvGen.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack Filter.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack KeyFollower.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack LFO.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack Oscillator.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack PolySplitter.jsfx is already owned by another package

Conflict: Effects\ReaTeam JSFX\Synth\ReaRack Modular Synth\TimeWaster_ReaRack Trigger.jsfx is already owned by another package
What should I do?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:13 AM   #49
cfillion

Go to Extensions > ReaPack > Browse packages, select "Display: Obsolete" at the top and uninstall all ReaRack entries there. This will allow the new ReaRack package to be installed.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-20-2016 at 02:23 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #50
amagalma

Thank you!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #51
mschnell

Hi TimeWaster,

I am playing around with FFT in JSFX and use the ReaRack oscillator (maybe not the most recent version ) and others as a signal source.

Remembering that aliasing has been mentioned here I took some screenshots showing the effect.

The upper shot shows the spectrum of a saw oscillator using oversampling (Oversampled oscillator, Copyright (C) 2015 Theo Niessink) in linear (via my test JSFX) and logarithmic (via ReaEQ) display. The lower picture shows the spectrum of the ReaRack Oscillator set to saw.

You clearly see that there is a considerable volume in (even quite low) frequencies that are not part of the mathematically correct overtones of a saw signal. (The overtones above half of the sampling frequency are "mirrored" down in the audible range.) With the Oversampled oscillator this only happens in a very small ramnge below the half sampling frequency.

Of course you also can hear a considerable difference.

-Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oversampled_kl.jpg (52.1 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg rearack_kl.jpg (61.8 KB, 543 views)

Last edited by mschnell; 11-20-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #52
Time Waster

Thanks Michael, that's interesting.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the difference yet. I'll have to try and find the oversampled oscillator you are referring to.

Although the ReaRack oscillator sounds different, does it sound 'bad' necessarily? Given that usually in sound synthesis the challenge is to make a simple waveform more complex, I'm not sure that starting with a more complex waveform to begin with is always a bad thing. Maybe I can use your images as a marketing tool demonstrating the complex output as a feature!

I understand though, that from a purist point of view you have more control if know exactly what you are dealing with. The cost of a more pure waveform is CPU cycles, so it's a matter of balancing that up. Maybe oversampled waveforms should be added to the ReaRack 2 wish list, along with sample accurate control signals and a new user interface.

Any volunteers for ReaRack 2 authors? The pay is not great unfortunately.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #53
mschnell

Quote:
Any volunteers for ReaRack 2 authors? The pay is not great unfortunately.
As I am currently playing with FFT, an additive synthesis Oscillator could be a nice task. Not that difficult to do (e.g. implement a bunch of envelops generators and assign each to a harmonic) but this results in a huge count of parameters to be set by the user.

Supposedly a Vocoder module would be rather easy as well.

-Michael
Old 11-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #54
Time Waster

Perhaps you could use FFT to record the harmonic levels for a range of waveforms, then use those levels as coefficients for an additive oscillator. It may then be possible to devise algorithms to manipulate the coefficients to morph between various waveforms.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #55
Flaneurette

Hi Time Waster,

Thanks for ReaRack. This is so cool. It's my go to modular synth right now. I wonder, though, if you are going to extend it? (a chorus and a matrix would be nice.)

Attached is a FX chain for it, it emulates some Daft Punk synth: https://stash.reaper.fm/29501/DaftPunkish.RfxChain
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #56
Time Waster

Hi Flaneurette,

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently working on two new modules and an update to the envelope generator. The new modules are a CC Sample and Hold and a module that I'm calling a Karplus-Strong Delay. The updated envelope generator now has a non linear envelope stage option. These will be available as soon as I can get around to grappling with ReaPack.

Regarding your suggested modules:

I presume that by matrix you mean a patching matrix? If so, I think that may be beyond the scope of ReaRack. The point of ReaRack is to use REAPERS routing capabilities. I could be wrong, but I think that to implement a patching matrix you would need a dedicated environment to build the synth in, which is what I was trying to avoid.

As for a chorus, I suspect that there are many chorus FX available which would be much better than anything I could develop. Not to mention that you can probably build chorus like effects in a modular way using simple delays etc. It is not necessary to use ReaRack exclusively with other ReaRack modules. It's modular, you can do anything. ReaRack only provides the bits that I couldn't find elsewhere.

If I have misunderstood your requests, please provide more detail.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #57
Time Waster

Default ReaRack Example Projects

Does anyone use the example projects included in the zip file download? If not, I would like to delete them as it's a PITA to update them with each new release. However, if they are useful to anyone I will continue to update them.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #58
Flaneurette

Hi Time Waster,

Yes, I found a JS chorus already in ReaPack

I used the examples to build my own FX chain, it did help figuring it out. At first, I did not understand why the OSC was not responding to my MIDI keyboard. Your examples showed me how to do it. Maybe you could include a standard basic FX chain, instead of a Reaper project?

Thanks so much, I really enjoy working with it. I will use the synth for a project album.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #59
Flaneurette

I will create a collection of FX-chains for it soon. I guess there is no way of managing presets?

With the matrix, will it be possible to do a simple MIDI matrix? a simple x,y square with CC blocks? that way, I don't have to access each module to "connect" it.

Will be interesting to see where this project will go... I love the simple GUI, mainly because I don't like graphic UI's. GUI's distract me too much when composing. So I really hope you keep the simple GUI/layout, and not be tempted with GUI design.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #60
Time Waster

If I understand correctly, you want to be able to map the output CC of one module to the input CC of one or more other modules? This should be possible provided you can place all of your controlling modules before the matrix module and all of the controlled modules after the matrix module (if not, you could always use more than one matrix module).

I can't see a way of doing a matrix module without a custom GUI, because with the default UI sliders can only be arranged in a single column one below the other. You might also want to be able to name the CC's for easier identification. It all sounds way beyond my current skill level. I'll have to think about this a bit more.

I do prefer a simple minimalist GUI, but the default UI is a bit limited. I think that some of the modules could be made easier to made navigate if I learnt to program my own sliders.

I'm not a fan of GUI's that look like hardware.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #61
Flaneurette

Made another preset FXchain, that emulates the synth on Tiesto's song "secrets". Created entirely with ReaRack modular synth and native Reaper plugins, which, again, shows that we don't really need expensive synthesizers and plugins to create good sounds.

https://stash.reaper.fm/29548/Tiesto.RfxChain

Also created a very naive MIDI for the melody: https://stash.reaper.fm/29550/Secrets.MID For brevity, it doesn't glide in pitch like the original, that requires some more work on the MIDI. Also, we don't do any side-chaining which would be done with another compressor on the reverb. Production wise, we would be stacking a couple of instances of ReaRack FX chain and detune each instance to create a huge sound.

Requires:

ReaRack
JS: 3-Band EQ
JS: Distortion
VST: ReaComp
VST: ReaVerbate

Last edited by Flaneurette; 01-18-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #62
Flaneurette

My attempt in creating a Kick in ReaRack modular: https://stash.reaper.fm/29576/ReaRack-HugeKick.RfxChain

It's a huge Kick, so open with caution...

Old 01-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #63
cyrilfb

Default Wonderful work!

Thanks so much for ReaRack. This is ideal for learning and testing modular synths without having to buy hardware.

Keep it up.
cyrilfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #64
Flaneurette

Quote:
Maybe oversampled waveforms should be added to the ReaRack 2 wish list
It would be nice. Aliasing is problematic in many cases. It would be my biggest wish for ReaRack.

Quote:
In this video we show why when the wavelength of a tone is an integer, it is possible to synthesize digitally with zero aliasing. When the wavelength is a non-integer value, however, the sampled audio wave is different with each repetition of the wave oscillation. There is no way to reconstruct such a waveform from Fourier series without using frequencies that are not part of the harmonic series of the tone we intend to synthesize.

We show animated and audible demonstrations of this phenomenon and show how using a higher sampling rate helps mitigate the problem.

Last edited by Flaneurette; 01-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #65
Flaneurette

Instead of posting each new preset, I created a small preset collection:

https://stash.reaper.fm/29606/ReaRackChains.zip

Small collection of presets for ReaRack modular synth.

ReaRack - Kick
ReaRack - Pluck
ReaRack - Pluck + LFO
ReaRack - Ultra Saw
ReaRack - Tiesto
ReaRack - 3 Sea Saws + LFO
ReaRack - 7th Saw Stack
ReaRack - 7th Sine Stack
ReaRack - DaftPunkish
ReaRack - Dutch Mega Saw
ReaRack - Dutch Mega Saw+LFO

Most require Reaper's stock ReaVerbate, ReaGate, ReaComp and JS 3 band EQ.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #66
Flaneurette

Created a short audio clip using two presets: Pluck, and Dutch Mega Saw + LFO:

https://stash.reaper.fm/29608/untitled.ogg

I'm surprised how analog ReaRack actually sounds, especially the unpredictability and random detuning of the oscillators... not sure if I am imagining it.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #67
cyrilfb

Default Version of FX chains when installed from ReaPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
Instead of posting each new preset, I created a small preset collection:

https://stash.reaper.fm/29606/ReaRackChains.zip

Small collection of presets for ReaRack modular synth.

ReaRack - Kick
ReaRack - Pluck
ReaRack - Pluck + LFO
ReaRack - Ultra Saw
ReaRack - Tiesto
ReaRack - 3 Sea Saws + LFO
ReaRack - 7th Saw Stack
ReaRack - 7th Sine Stack
ReaRack - DaftPunkish
ReaRack - Dutch Mega Saw
ReaRack - Dutch Mega Saw+LFO

Most require Reaper's stock ReaVerbate, ReaGate, ReaComp and JS 3 band EQ.
Thanks so much, Flaneurette! These are awesome. One problem is that they do not work with the version of ReaRack that is installed from ReaPack. The names and path of the JSFX are all different. Here are your FX chains modified to work with the ReaPack version of ReaRack:
https://stash.reaper.fm/29609/ReaRackChains-ReaPack.zip

Cy
Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #68
Flaneurette

Thanks! indeed, I installed ReaRack manually before I got ReaPack...
Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #69
Time Waster

For the next release of ReaRack I will be updating the filenames of the stash collection to match the ReaPack filenames.

I have made some changes to the envelope generator, which unfortunately will probably break this current set of FX chains. The workaround for that will be to rename the new version of the envelope generator (make sure to back up the old one before updating). I'm still working on the documentation at the moment and my current time constraints prevent me from predicting when the new release will be up.

@Flaneurette, an anti-aliased oscillator is next on my list (even though I think it is of dubious benefit). It will be a new module, not an update of the existing oscillator, and I'm thinking I will go with @mshnell 's suggestion of an additive oscillator.

Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this project.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #70
shpitz

Nice project! It would be cool if other people will also start to make modules for ReaRack and turn it into a collaborative project. Will love to see it grows and becomes rich of weird modules.
shpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #71
Flaneurette

Quote:
For the next release of ReaRack I will be updating the filenames of the stash collection to match the ReaPack filenames.

I have made some changes to the envelope generator, which unfortunately will probably break this current set of FX chains. The workaround for that will be to rename the new version of the envelope generator (make sure to back up the old one before updating). I'm still working on the documentation at the moment and my current time constraints prevent me from predicting when the new release will be up.

@Flaneurette, an anti-aliased oscillator is next on my list (even though I think it is of dubious benefit). It will be a new module, not an update of the existing oscillator, and I'm thinking I will go with @mshnell 's suggestion of an additive oscillator.

Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this project.
No problem. The envelopes are easy to adjust.

Is it even possible to do anti-aliasing separate from the FX chain? I could just increase oversampling, or use an external plugin that takes care of extra oversampling? would it work on ReaRack?

Also, in some FX chains I use a gate, as I notice some random clicking noise at the start of pressing a key and I don't know where that originates from, nor how to get rid of besides using a gate.

Another issue: On some MIDI keyboards, ReaRack doesn't stop playing after I release the key. It happens with my M-audio keystation 61es. My Alesis Q25 doesn't have that problem. I am not sure how to fix that myself.

Last edited by Flaneurette; 01-24-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #72
mschnell

Quote:
The video shows why we need to consider aliasing, but it does not tell ho to do a non aliasing oscillator.

I suppose this is rather easy using oversampling.

With each sample:
- create several (e.g. 32) sample of the waveform, considering the sample frequency 32 times as fast.
- calculate a sinc-alike low-pass IIR filter (e.g. 24dB/Oct, 10% below half the original sampling frequency) on the oversampled waveform (of course keeping the transient values between the original samples).
- use the last "oversample" as output sample.

Alternately you could use FFT as Tale describes in the thread "JSFX real FFT (v5.25pre2+)" in this forum.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-24-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #73
Tale

Or you want to keep things really simple, and you don't need anything too fancy, then you could use polyBLEPs (see the link to my JSFX pack in my signature). My mono_synth also uses polyBLEPs, so just listen to the audio demos if you want to know how good/bad (YMMV) they sound.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #74
Time Waster

Quote:
Is it even possible to do anti-aliasing separate from the FX chain?
From my limited understanding, any anti-aliasing operations must be done before the samples are output to audio. The purpose of oversampling is to provide the anti-aliasing filter with enough samples to give a steep cut-off at the Nyquist frequency.

Quote:
Also, in some FX chains I use a gate, as I notice some random clicking noise at the start of pressing a key and I don't know where that originates from, nor how to get rid of besides using a gate.
I have experienced clicking occasionally when looping, but not otherwise. I do everything in the box, so I haven't tested the system with external keyboards. Could you could provide an example project with the midi input recorded?

Quote:
Another issue: On some MIDI keyboards, ReaRack doesn't stop playing after I release the key. It happens with my M-audio keystation 61es. My Alesis Q25 doesn't have that problem. I am not sure how to fix that myself.
It sounds like ReaRack is not receiving note-off messages from the M-audio keyboard. To test this, try recording the MIDI output from each keyboard (for the same passage) and compare them.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #75
Time Waster

I would be more than happy for someone with a better understanding of filtering etc. than myself to take the existing oscillator and add anti-aliasing to it. I think any attempt to do this must be mindful of the need to find a compromise between audio performance and CPU load, as ideally the system should remain capable of using large arrays of oscillators. Certainly this is not my area of expertise and my time is limited, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:38 AM   #76
mschnell

Quote:
take the existing oscillator and add anti-aliasing to it.
That is not possible. When doing an oscillator with the original sample frequency, the damage (additional rather low frequency unharmonic parts) is already done and can't be undone.

-Michael
Old 01-25-2017, 04:44 AM   #77
Time Waster

Quote:
That is not possible. When doing an oscillator with the original sample frequency, the damage (additional rather low frequency unharmonic parts) is already done and can't be undone.

-Michael
I understand that. I'm assuming that some major mods to the code would be required.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #78
Time Waster

Default ReaRack Updates - January 2017

While we wait for an anti-aliased oscillator, I have made a few changes to some modules and added two new modules. These have been added to the stash and have been submitted to the ReaPack team for updating. The changes are as follows:

All filenames have been changed to match the ReaPack filenames.

Updated the Envelope Generator module:
- A, D and R envelope stages now have a non linear shape option.
- The Sustain stage now has a ramp up/down option.

Updated the Oscillator module:
- Fixed Pitch note names now match the REAPER default names.

Updated the Filter module:
- Fixed a bug affecting resonance modulation.

Added two new modules:
- CC Sample and Hold
- Karplus-Strong Delay.

The Manual has been updated ( https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28621/ReaRack_Manual.pdf ).

One new example project has been added and updates to all others.

To explain in more detail:

The Sample and Hold module should be fairly self explanatory. When triggered by a note-on it will sample an incoming CC message stream and output the sampled value once, until the next note-on is received. Some filtering options are provided.

The Karplus-Strong Delay module adds physical modelling synthesis to ReaRack. The module performs part of the Karplus-Strong plucked string algorithm. On receipt of a note-on event, the module samples an incoming audio stream (usually white noise) and loops the sample at a frequency determined by the note value, which creates a pitched tone. The pitch can be modulated. In the complete Karplus-Strong algorithm, the sample is filtered on each loop, simulating the decay of the string vibration. In ReaRack, the filtering is done using a filter module modulated by an envelope generator. See the example project in the stash for a typical (polyphonic) setup.

While developing the Karplus-Strong Delay, I realised that I needed a nonlinear envelope decay curve to control the filter, so I modified the envelope generator to include non linear curve options for the attack, decay and release stages. This turned out to be quite a significant enhancement to the envelope generator module. To top it off, I added an option to ramp the sustain value up or down over time.

Go wild!

Last edited by Time Waster; 01-25-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added link to manual.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #79
cyrilfb

Default Graphic problem on EnvGen?

There appears to be a problem drawing the envelope in the Envelope Generator.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #80
cyrilfb

Default Updated FX chains

I have updated Flaneurette's FX chains for today's changes to parameters and names.
https://stash.reaper.fm/29618/ReaRack...2017-01-25.zip