Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Troubled_Tribble
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER Actions Pairing - Novation Launchkey 49 MKII

Hey everyone!

I've just started working with REAPER after a couple years of being an obligate ProTools user (my college coursework in music production was taught with ProTools). I bought a Launchkey 49 after falling in love with it - of the midi keyboards I demoed in store, it seemed to have the most punching power at that price point. Now, I know it was designed for easy integration with Ableton, but with diligent use of these forums and the Reaper manual, I've gotten the Launchkey up and running nearly flawlessly using the actions menu, with just a few minor problems.

I'm running the latest version of Reaper on my 64 bit Windows 10 laptop, in case that affects any of my following concerns.

The most glaring problem is with the record transport control and the small rectangular buttons under each of the faders. Once the button is paired with the action, the record button only works when the button is held in the depressed position. In other words, when toggled, it records for an instant and then stops. The same is happening with the buttons under each of the faders, as I have those paired with the "toggle solo" function, and they only toggle solo when depressed. I have to assume this is some midi quirk, where the button reads out either 0 or 127, and the function is only "turned on" when it reads in 127. Is there any fix for this?

My second question is regarding the pads: I've never used pads before, so is there anything I should know about pairing them with REAPER before I start to use them? They seem to work by default with one of my drum VSTs.

There also seems to be a bit of latency, but I'm sure the Launchkey itself is not to blame. What could help with that? Buying a 9v wall adapter to be sure that the Launchkey fed enough?

Last question is more of a wish list item: there are 8 faders and knobs (9, if you include the master fader) on the Launchkey. Is there a way to set up the actions so that if I press one of the arrow buttons, the faders and knobs then control the levels of the subsequent 8 tracks? If not, no problem. I had just come up with that idea while fooling around in the actions menu.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Troubled_Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
FrankDee

Some of the problems that I ran into when setting up my AKAI MPK Mini was some of the controllers would send CC toggle or a momentary. Get a midi monitor to see what your Launchkey is actually sending. I have a controller editor which allows to program the pads to Key info or Program Change to control the transport. Does the Launchkey have one?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Curtis
Banned

The problem with the transport buttons and the buttons below the track faders just needs the mode setting set to the second value when adding the function to the button.

Your last question can be done by changing the midi Chanel the faders and various buttons then can have different functions assigned.

Last edited by Curtis; 01-21-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
gladalpaca

Hi,

I have yet to see this mentioned explicitly anywhere so I figured I'd put it here.

If any future user with a launchkey finds that assigning a control to the transport and/or other buttons does not work as expected due to pressing and releasing a button counting as two midi input messages, one can use a custom action to filter out the second input.

For example, combining the following - Action: Skip next action if CC parameter <=0/mid, Track: Go to next track - into a custom action and assigning it to the right transport button will allow you to advance to the next track by pressing the button and ignore the next midi message that is sent when it is released.

Hope this helps!
gladalpaca is offline   Reply With Quote